PDA

View Full Version : Pallet Discussion Thread

Kion
Oct 7, 2007, 10:50 PM
Poll is for visual feedback on how popular the idea is. I meant this as a discussion thread, so other things i'd like to see here are:

Q: If you answered "no", how do you manage?
Q: How many pallet spaces would you like to have?
Q: Would you like to see any other changes to the pallet system?
Q: Think we'll see any changes?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kion on 2007-10-07 21:15 ]</font>

Mayu
Oct 7, 2007, 10:51 PM
8 will do

imo

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Dhylec
Oct 7, 2007, 10:57 PM
Get rid of that blank slot & make it a real slot, 7 will do. ;]

Mystil
Oct 7, 2007, 10:58 PM
8 was also the number I was thinking.

Mayu
Oct 7, 2007, 10:58 PM
but x.x

How will we do some lobby stuff in missions!

amtalx
Oct 7, 2007, 11:02 PM
Yes, yes, yes. fGs need more space NOW.

Kion
Oct 7, 2007, 11:02 PM
Currently, I have 5 spots that I keep the same and one spot that i vary depending on the situation. So Seven would make PSU alot more managable not having to open my inventory every few minutes and eight in AoI for the added weapons we're getting seems about right.

ryvius
Oct 7, 2007, 11:05 PM
I'd rather have an armor palette..

And a trap palette would be nice too.

Dhylec
Oct 7, 2007, 11:09 PM
On 2007-10-07 20:58, Mayu wrote:
but x.x
How will we do some lobby stuff in missions!

Silly Mayu, ST should give an option to unequip if the blank slot is filled. ;o

Genoa
Oct 7, 2007, 11:12 PM
You've got to be kidding... No I wouldn't actually. Scrolling through all of that would be painful in some desperate situations. Besides, SERIOUSLY, what holds anyone back from bringing extra weapons?
INFACT, most people use like... 4-6 of the SAME FREAKIN WEAPON ANYWAY!
Post AoI, there will be NO EXCUSE for this. Why? Easy:
1. With all the weapons coming out, why not bring more?
2. You can transfer items to your room in the lobby... Don't say "omg but I might fill up fast"
3. You can even go TO your room and BACK for a small fee.

Just put in your palatte what you NEED for the mission your doing. If you don't need your Grenade Launcher, then put your Rifle in it's spot and switch it back in later...
Seriously, you can hold 60 freakin items and you can transfer stuff from lobbies (post aoi)
NO EXCUSE for having all the weapons you need anymore.... NOT ONE >____>

The only thing I agree with is ryvius' comment on a Trap Palette....

Mayu
Oct 7, 2007, 11:13 PM
On 2007-10-07 21:05, ryvius wrote:

Hey that actually works http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

and x.x Dhy!

beatrixkiddo
Oct 7, 2007, 11:14 PM
More pallet space!
http://www.woodenpackaging.co.uk/SinglePallet1.jpg

Zorak000
Oct 7, 2007, 11:14 PM
8 would be perfect for AoI, but they made it to work w/ 6 in PSU classic think about it:

ideal FF pallet:
Lngswd
axe
twin claws
single claw + handgun
knuckles
spear

Ideal FT pallet:

bow
wand + fan
rod
more
of the
above

Ideal FG pallet:
shotgun
L cannon
Grenade L
rifle
[/i]*additional
space*[i]

basically I based the list off of what each class can S-rank in... but thats just how I play...

Genoa
Oct 7, 2007, 11:16 PM
.... >____________>
Please, lets not get into an argument about what's best for what class...
Sometimes it depends on the race, but it REALLY depends on the mission you're doing. It even depends on what PA's you're using for each weapon.

None of this "ideal universal palette discussion", talk about ideal palette discussion for EACH MISSION , don't forget to add the PA's and what race you are <_<. It's not THAT simple...

And I still don't know why you can't switch a freakin weapon in before the mission. It's not going to kill you to bring 3, 4 extra weapons .... You can hold 60!!!! =/

EDIT:

As a Wartecher I would want more palettes because I don't have enough space to hold wands to buff, and yeah, I can switch out my wands, but considering how long buffs last and that at the very least I would buff at the start and at the end of a mission, that's a lot of switching, moreso since I have to switch back to the normal palette afterward.

This does, however, bring up a valid point that more slots would defeat the purpose of most classes not being able to use rods.

With Madoog/Wand... you have buff combo right there correct?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2007-10-07 21:20 ]</font>

Wallin
Oct 7, 2007, 11:16 PM
On 2007-10-07 21:12, MegamanX wrote:
You've got to be kidding... No I wouldn't actually. Scrolling through all of that would be painful in some desperate situations. Besides, SERIOUSLY, what holds anyone back from bringing extra weapons?
INFACT, most people use like... 4-6 of the SAME FREAKIN WEAPON ANYWAY!
Post AoI, there will be NO EXCUSE for this. Why? Easy:
1. With all the weapons coming out, why not bring more?
2. You can transfer items to your room in the lobby... Don't say "omg but I might fill up fast"
3. You can even go TO your room and BACK for a small fee.

Just put in your palatte what you NEED for the mission your doing. If you don't need your Grenade Launcher, then put your Rifle in it's spot and switch it back in later...
Seriously, you can hold 60 freakin items and you can transfer stuff from lobbies (post aoi)
NO EXCUSE for having all the weapons you need anymore.... NOT ONE >____>

The only thing I agree with is ryvius' comment on a Trap Palette....

As a Wartecher I would want more palettes because I don't have enough space to hold wands to buff, and yeah, I can switch out my wands, but considering how long buffs last and that at the very least I would buff at the start and at the end of a mission, that's a lot of switching, moreso since I have to switch back to the normal palette afterward.

This does, however, bring up a valid point that more slots would defeat the purpose of most classes not being able to use rods.

Kion
Oct 7, 2007, 11:20 PM
not really, discussing each class and why they need more pallete space why they don't is all part of the discussion. you can't really throw it into one black and white discussion and that was not my intention as the OP. So be as specific as you want!

And yeah, it's not hard to switch out occasionally, but you don't think it get's inconvient to swap out a few spaces when with one or two more slots in the pallet you'd be all set to go?

And I vouch for wartecher. We're getting madoog which will help with techs come AoI, but what about room for our gravity break linked swords?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kion on 2007-10-07 21:23 ]</font>

Genoa
Oct 7, 2007, 11:24 PM
I still think you have enough space imo... I mean, it's not like you're going to use all your different A ranks in the same mission constantly. And I NEVER see anyone use THAT much variety. I see it as...
-madoog/wand (buffs)
-madoog / melee (heals)
-madoog / wand (attack techs best for current mission)
-attack weapons
-attack weapons
-attack weapons
-(switch me in when your other weapons out of PP or you don't wanna charge, takes 5 seconds)
-(me too)
-(don't forget me)

EDIT: It would always be easier/smarter to have a set palette for your one-handed weapon combos. But as far as 2-handed weapons, that's easy to switch...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2007-10-07 21:26 ]</font>

Shou
Oct 7, 2007, 11:26 PM
it's just wishfull thinking *sigh*

ljkkjlcm9
Oct 7, 2007, 11:30 PM
that's one thing I do like in PSO over PSU, you could change to any weapon you were carrying

THE JACKEL

Genoa
Oct 7, 2007, 11:37 PM
I don't know if it's because I'm on ps2... but switching in a weapon isn't all that bad. Sure you can't EXACTLY do it in the heat of a battle, but what I think is even harder, is trying to use a Photon Charge for ONE one-handed weapon....

I don't think you need more than 6 slots for ONE level, even as wartecher...
If you're in somewhere like... well lets say Plains Overlord (this is just what I'd use...) :
Madoog/Wand (buffs)
Madoog/Saber (resta/reverser)
Twin Daggers
Twin Sabers
Madoog/Wand (diga/radiga / dambarta/rabarta)
Madoog/card (jellen/zalure) (ice cards for dragon when aerial)

And I can bring a sword or some others to take twin daggers and twin sabers if I want/need.

Wallin
Oct 7, 2007, 11:38 PM
I always forget about the Madoog since I've hardly seen them in action yet, so yeah, I guess that does even it out.

Powder Keg
Oct 7, 2007, 11:38 PM
add as many as possible. If more than a certain amount is too many for you, then just don't fill them...because empty slots don't show up when you bring up the window.

Genoa
Oct 7, 2007, 11:40 PM
On 2007-10-07 21:38, Artea wrote:
add as many as possible. If more than a certain amount is too many for you, then just don't fill them...because empty slots don't show up when you bring up the window.

I didn't think of that, but I know people would end up putting all their weapons on there... and scrolling to find their heal wand as fast as they can as they or a teammate gets creamed <_>

Kion
Oct 7, 2007, 11:47 PM
would still take less time to open up your inventory to switch out the weapon. also it plays into the AoI item transport system. You can take as many weapons as you want to maximize power and then materials back to your room each mission so you dont have to worry about filling up.

Genoa
Oct 7, 2007, 11:52 PM
I JUST tested how fast I can switch my weapons, I can put a weapon in my palette (from in-level) in 3 seconds.

I know you can go faster with palette switch, but that's for heated battle. Any chance you're walking to next room or what not, you can do it. In fact, on PS2, I can switch in about 4-5 seconds while running to next room.

The HARDEST thing still, Is using photon charges for one one-handed weapon =/.

EDIT: Heh, beat my time <_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2007-10-07 21:57 ]</font>

Gen2000
Oct 8, 2007, 12:41 AM
Either more palette space or the ability to change between different Palettes, i.e. Palette A > Palette B > back to Palette A or even C, etc, etc.

Armor and trap palette would be sexy too.

Zorafim
Oct 8, 2007, 12:44 AM
As a fortefighter, I'm fine. Six weapons at S rank, six spaces to put them, three PAs for each. I can get amazingly versatile considering all this. But, as a hybrid, I can see my space getting very limited.

Jarek
Oct 8, 2007, 12:52 AM
I'd be fine with 6 pallet spaces if they did 2 things.
(these might've been mentioned, I just skimmed through this)
1. Option to not save position. This way the cursor would always start at the top weapon of your pallet no matter where you left it. (Yes like PSO's)
2. Make the weapon icons smaller so you can see all 6 at once.

Hrith
Oct 8, 2007, 05:53 AM
Six is fine right now, but AoI has more weapons, so yeah, eight would be fitting.

Turambar
Oct 8, 2007, 06:03 AM
I wouldn't mind having a few more palette spots, being a fortegunner, but using a palleted Photon Charge is a fairly easy remedy.

drizzle
Oct 8, 2007, 06:06 AM
There's no reason why there should be a limit at all. I can carry 60 weapons, why can't I put all 60 on my palette? Empty slots don't show up at all so there's no disadvantage to adding more slots, only advantages.

Remedy
Oct 8, 2007, 06:34 AM
I have no need for more space, but I'm a Fortecher, my entire world is contained in six rods. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Rashiid
Oct 8, 2007, 06:49 AM
i say no; more scrolling; more confusion.

mvffin
Oct 8, 2007, 08:08 AM
the main classes i have pallet problems with are WT and PT. WT will be fixed in the expansion with madoogs. PT just has so many good useful weapons for different situations, its hard to pick just 6.

-Axe
-Launcher
-Cannon
-Saber/Handgun
-Spear
-Sword
-Knucks
-Bow

so 8 should do it. = P

RadiantLegend
Oct 8, 2007, 11:14 AM
Either more space or the ability to select different PAs.

Neith
Oct 8, 2007, 11:18 AM
One or two more spaces would be much better, especially for classes like Wartechers, which already struggle with a 6 weapon pallette- especially when some missions may require you to use upto half of your pallette on Wands alone.

That won't be as big a problem once AoI gets here, but there'll still be pallette problems for some classes, and considering WT is getting access to more weapons, the problem will probably persist.

Xencia
Oct 8, 2007, 11:22 AM
I would love more space,on both wheels.
My WarTecher is the worst off right now on weapons,Madoogs will pretty much take care of that though.
My Protranser is really hurting for items space,Dimate,Antimate,Photon Charge,Moon,only space for 2 traps left,and G's only going to 5 means restting if the mission isn't short.

Kylie
Oct 8, 2007, 12:49 PM
I answered no; I really think that six is enough. If I need more weapons, I carry them, and it's not much trouble to switch stuff out.

Dirkster111
Oct 8, 2007, 12:54 PM

I would love to be able to change armors throught the pallete.

Anduril
Oct 8, 2007, 01:07 PM
I don't see the need for extra pallette space. Now a Trap pallette, as previously mentioned, sounds like a good idea to me. I don't think we need extra weapon pallette space, but I guess that's becuase I have more or less mastered rearranging things on the menu inbetween waves of enemies.

Rayokarna
Oct 8, 2007, 01:07 PM
I think they should change the pallet layout depending on the the class.

For example:

Fortegunners get a seperate trap and bullet PA pallet.

Fortefighters get an armor and skill PA pallet.

Fortetechers get an expanded Armor/unit & Tech PA pallet.

Then again as a Protranser, I would hope to get a Armor and Trap pallet.

landman
Oct 8, 2007, 01:21 PM
I would prefer different palettes to place the same weapons with different skills/bullets or different element weapons AND with different armors and units in every one of them, or just a palette to switch from armors + units

Kion
Oct 8, 2007, 01:55 PM
So to recap; most everyone agrees that eight spaces would be appropriate. It would give classes like WT and PT the space they need and other classes can find a use for the extra space. And people who are content with six: if that were the case, it's not like all spaces have to be used.

As for changes to the system, a trap and armor pallet should be added for easy access during missions. Maybe an extra option in the settings menu to turn on or off whether you want to have the extra pallets?

ShineOnline
Oct 8, 2007, 02:01 PM
Forget pallette space. Give me more than 1 PA on a weapon.

Zorafim
Oct 8, 2007, 02:07 PM
On 2007-10-08 12:01, ShineOnline wrote:

ThEoRy
Oct 8, 2007, 06:59 PM
On 2007-10-07 21:40, MegamanX wrote:

I didn't think of that, but I know people would end up putting all their weapons on there... and scrolling to find their heal wand as fast as they can as they or a teammate gets creamed <_>

Really? Because I would then have two heal sticks on there. Actually making it faster to get to one or the other and in essence making for easier prevention of said creaming upon my team mates.

edited for clarity.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ThEoRy on 2007-10-08 17:07 ]</font>

ljkkjlcm9
Oct 8, 2007, 07:14 PM
well anyone smart would organize their palette for the greatest ease in using. I'd have guns evenly spaced among my melee weapons as a fighgunner, so it would never be too far to reach them, and then I'd organize by element.

THE JACKEL

Zabrio
Oct 8, 2007, 07:15 PM

YES TRAP PALLETTE IS NEEDED NAO
Also 8 weps woudl be good

MY ideal fG pallette
1).Double saber 2.)Sword 3.)Twin Saber 4.)Twin Claw 5.)saber/claw+shadoog 6.)Twin pistol 7.)Twin daggers
8.)Spear

ChaosAngel92
Oct 8, 2007, 08:58 PM
Why not giving the more slots to the pallete depending on the job. I mean, seriously, i rly doubt, (and sorry to all warriors and meleish fans) Fortefighters and Fighgunners need more space on the palletes. Same with Fortetechers, the rods make you save space on the pallete. But holy god, Guntechers and Wartechers, not to mention Acrotechers and probably Acrofighters need more space on the pallete. 8 will do it for those classes. (And now my PM box will start to get full of threathing messages). Thats my humble opinion about the issue.

Oh yeah. by the way. Am i the unique that wish an armor pallete?

Kion
Oct 9, 2007, 01:43 AM
Mixed classes coudl definaely use more pallet space. Dare I say, need it? And I'm sure that forteclasses wouldn't complain if they had more space, not to mention it's not like all slots need to be filled.

Oh yeah. by the way. Am i the unique that wish an armor pallete?

Several others have expressed that they desire this as well.

Remedy
Oct 9, 2007, 06:21 AM
On 2007-10-08 16:59, ThEoRy wrote:

On 2007-10-07 21:40, MegamanX wrote:

Really? Because I would then have two heal sticks on there. Actually making it faster to get to one or the other and in essence making for easier prevention of said creaming upon my team mates.

edited for clarity.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ThEoRy on 2007-10-08 17:07 ]</font>
Or you could put Resta on all your rods like a good FT does. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

IsoDonk
Oct 9, 2007, 06:28 AM
Meh, and what about your elemental bonus? Good pallet organisation and a wand with Resta/Reverser works just fine for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

panzer_unit
Oct 9, 2007, 09:02 AM
I'm okay with 6 spots on my palette. How many kinds of monster do they put in a block of a mission? Like 4 max right? ... the most elementally varied missions are moatoob desert where some blocks have fire + ice + lightning enemies. That's only 3. IMO there's enough space to have 1 palette spot dedicated for every kind of enemy on the block + 2 utility. It's even more effective when there are only 1 or 2 elements on the level and you can re-use attacks more freely against different sorts of target.

PT palette for Desert Terror S2:
fire sword (grav break) - jishgara i choose you
shotgun (lightning) - navals, bul buna
lightning sword (grav break) - bil, bul buna
handgun (earth) + ice saber (spinning break) - vanda
grenade (fire) - drua
ice axe (jabroga) - drua, vanda

Bossfight:
bow (lightning)
lightning <any 2-handed melee weapon>
handgun (lightning) + lightning saber (gravity strike)

Now a couple things that would be nice...

I'd much rather see traps used as items (pick it in the palette and it drops) so they don't unload your weapons. Especially on PS2 dealing with lag switching to traps and back sucks to hell.

the item palette stinks. There's not enough space to link even a fraction of what you need to use. I'd love to have a multi-dimensional arrangement that automatically includes ALL your available consumables. select a category up/down and then hit left until you get to the desired item.

trimate > dimate > monomate > star atomizer (hp restore)
antimate > sol atomizer (status restore)
moon atomizer > moon atomizer X (revival)
agatride > zodiaride > defbaride > retaride > megisaride (buffs)
photon charge > photon charge cosmo (energy)
virus trap > virus trap G > burn trap G (traps)

I wouldn't mind being able to select PA's on the fly, by hitting the weapon and pressing right. don't ask me how this would work for wands, rods, or paired 1-handed weapons.

sword > gravity break > tornado break > spinning break
shotgun > barada inga > barada riga > barada diga ... etc
(order based on PA level or most recently used maybe)

amtalx
Oct 9, 2007, 09:12 AM
We should have an armor AND weapon pallete with 8 spots. 8 may be a bit much for armor, but better too much than too little. To avoid the furious clicking to get around, it should be a radial menu. If anyone has played Pariah, you'll know what I'm talking about. It was pretty much the best weapons switching system ever (for a console).

Gen2000
Oct 9, 2007, 02:02 PM
On 2007-10-08 12:01, ShineOnline wrote:

Yeah I don't understand why do this, doesn't seem like too much trouble considering FOs can stack 4 PAs on a Rod. Sometimes I use Tornado Dance on some enemies but want to use Gravity Dance on small-mid enemies but after repeated runs I forget the process of switching PAs via the menu and Tornado Dance Naval/Bardia/Pannon by mistake...I die a little inside.

Theoderic
Oct 9, 2007, 05:20 PM
About palette space...

I think that with the way the controls are set up (PS2) there should only be one additional palette, and that should be a "Miscellaneous" palette. It should mirror the Weapon palette in appearance, and one should be allowed to use the scroll features (L and R buttons) on the Item and Miscellaneous palettes only, while the Weapon palette should force one to manually select which weapon to change to. One should be able to equip Weapons and/or Items to this palette. I think this would alleviate some of the issues players have with Traps and Restoratives, and would open up more room for "emergency weapons".

The next section is about PAs...

I considered agreeing with melee weapons having more PA Link space, but this would only work on 2 handed melee weapons. 1 handed melee weapons switch over to the left hand when R1 is pressed, which will not allow access to a second tier of PA Link space. I would say, for the sake of keeping these "features" (ideas) from creating some sort of unforeseen imbalance, and to keep certain classes from basically being the same thing, only 1 additional space should be allowed on 2 handed weapons. Square and R1+Square will always be normal attack, while Triangle and R1+Triangle will be the 2 PAs. I think that this particular idea is way past due of being implemented, anyway. I guess the only problem would be the combos of melee PAs being interlinked, which is probably why they never had it this way.

I think that every gun should have the option of allowing 2 bullets to be linked. The problem I see with this is that elemental attribute may conflict, and bullets linked in such a manner will be useless damage wise, unless the elemental percent modifiers were significantly lowered, and the base bullet damage was increased. (Sigh, the more I type, the more I realize why the game has the limits it has... I just did some small numbers and I can see how severely broken lower elemental percent and higher PA damage modifier percent would make any gun wielder.)

While I am all for these things, I don't think there would be any use for them, or there would be an imbalance of class/race/gender combination by release of restraints, which exist to create said balance.

And about Armor...

I don't see a need for an armor palette in particular. I think swapping armors is the easiest thing to do. I do however think that there should be Add-Slots available for a certain number of A-Photons, which can be traded in for 99 Fragments per A-Photon (The price for Head, Arm, Body, and Extra would have different costs, and should be available in ranks similar to Grinders). The Manufacturers should have specialist who work on Armor add the slots onto a particular Armor of the player's choice, similar to AoI grinding, but with no loss of Armor upon failure, just a loss of A-Photons. I think if there were 4 slots available to Armors, any and all Armor/Unit swapping inconveniences can be alleviated (anyone who cannot switch between 6 Armors (I have mine listed in elemental order) mid-mission needs to start practicing a bit more as it only takes between 3 to 6 seconds, and can be done while running).

If this creates some unforeseen imbalance (I have a feeling someone can come up with something to counter this idea), an alternative would be having the interface changed so that Units remain equipped to the player, but are inactive while there is no Armor equipped (or the equipped Armor doesn't have the appropriate slots), and are reactivated upon equipping an Armor with the appropriate slots.

I'm tired... I think I type way too much into one post... I'm going to exploit some bugs I discovered in the game...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Theoderic on 2007-10-09 15:24 ]</font>

DavidNel
Oct 9, 2007, 05:30 PM
Is it really that hard to add items to your pallette mid-mission? I don't really see a need for any more slots. It just seems like some people are looking for something else to complain about...

MSAksion
Oct 9, 2007, 06:45 PM
For us Fortetechers i think 6 palette slots is enough. If you carry six staffs like me, you would instantly have access to 24 different TECHS. Even with 6 wands you have 12 TECHS and 6 guns to fire at anytime. I think that's a lot.

Call the team for buffs, switch out LIGHTNING staff for +10 Rayharod - buff the hell out of them and hot swap a bow for the Onmagoug.

GreenArcher
Oct 9, 2007, 09:20 PM
On 2007-10-07 20:50, Kion wrote:

Q: If you answered "no", how do you manage?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kion on 2007-10-07 21:15 ]</font>

As a Fortegunner, I have a Rifle with either Burn or Killer Shot depending on the mission
I have some combination of crossbow + shotgun to account for enemy elements. Sometimes enemies move too fast or are too offensive to use a shotgun, so I use a crossbow in stead.
I have duals for any range damage I will need.
And that's 5 palette slots, 6th is usually another Rifle or 'Zerk nades.

BlueFoo
Oct 10, 2007, 09:21 PM
I see no downside in having more slots because for all of you that say that six is enough, then just don't use the others and there should be no change. But as a wartecher right now, I think we don't have enough. I don't use all of the buffs because I don't want to use those 2 spaces for just that and I think that it takes a while to switch wands in and out. Granted this problem will be mostly solved in aoi where we will have madoogs, but for the next month and a half (I think) I don't want to have to only give people 2 buffs because by the time I lay down the second two half of them are gone (I usually try to Buff in Battle).

lol green_archer sloganizer.net rules

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlueFoo on 2007-10-10 19:25 ]</font>

F-Gattaca
Oct 11, 2007, 01:39 AM
I miss PSO:BB's hotkeys.

I'll say that much.

I can't count how many times I was down for the count because I couldn't scroll through my palettes fast enough to find an appropiate mate. I hardly died as much as I do in PSU simply because medical attention was a keystroke away.

Kion
Oct 11, 2007, 02:41 AM
On 2007-10-09 15:30, DavidNel wrote:
Is it really that hard to add items to your pallette mid-mission? I don't really see a need for any more slots. It just seems like some people are looking for something else to complain about...

It's not hard, simply an inconvience. With weapon lag, openning the menu is additional time it takes to switch weapons. In a game for fun, ST shouldn't skip minimizing small inconviencences in the game play.

This thread is to discus the current pallet system with it's possitives and negatives and discuss hypothetic solutions to any problems. That's why the question is phrased "would you like more pallet space?", and not "*bitch* *bitch* *bitch, we need more pallet space." So please don't write it off as whining. Tho, I have to admit, this post is a half-ass attept at being defensive. It's a forum, and half the fun is talking about it even though it may never go into effect. With 80%'s of the votes wanting more pallet space, it might be worth petitioning ST for.

As for possible changes to the current pallet system, it seems that:
- eight spaces for weapons are desired
- and a separate trap pallet for the classes that can use them
- also a way to quickly switch armor and units equiped with out having to go to the menu.

bloodflowers
Oct 11, 2007, 07:01 AM
I want an armour palette.

pikachief
Oct 11, 2007, 07:02 AM
I eaither want more pallet space, or an easier way to go through my 3 armors, 5 armor slots and 25 weapons XD

Shishi-O
Oct 11, 2007, 07:03 AM
10 slots for weps all prblems solved.

a slot pallet for traps...brilliant. being able to hold more than 20 ex traps....

shield swaping is easy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shishi-O on 2007-10-11 05:04 ]</font>

biggabertha
Oct 11, 2007, 08:51 AM
At first, I wished I could put all my weapons onto the palette. At first, I seriously wished there was an extra trap palette and I wished you could store more items in the item palette but after a while, I was okay with the whole limited space and the manual item re-location. I was fine with all of that and still am. It'd be nice to have more space, yes but I really don't know if a PS2 could handle that.

For the time being, a trap palette seems like an awesome idea but let's be honest, most of the traps currently available can cancel each other out or completely override one another so sticking six onto a palette is rather redundant. Since traps are almost always at the bottom of your item palette, it's easy to press:

Start > Item > Consumables > Up > Trap > Add to palette > Assign to an allocated trap space (for me, the bottom two or three parts of the item palette.)

I can manage fine like that but I do understand for some, that this would not be acceptable such as in high level areas or timed places. All the more reason to be more reliant on your team members. Just having Sol Atomizers, Star Atomizers and Moon Atomizers on your item palette and relying on your team to heal, restore and buff you is a great way of eliminating mate space in your item palette.

Sure, solo is different but you'll never be happy with what you're given, even some will complain that eight spaces for either/or items/weapons isn't sufficient. I just like six, it's a good number, it's what's implemented at the moment and if you organise yourself, you can deal with a lot of situations.

pikachief
Oct 11, 2007, 08:58 AM
On 2007-10-11 05:03, Shishi-O wrote:
10 slots for weps all prblems solved.

a slot pallet for traps...brilliant. being able to hold more than 20 ex traps....

shield swaping is easy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shishi-O on 2007-10-11 05:04 ]</font>

yea shield swapping is easy...

ehh i dont mind the pallet now, i got used to using my menu instead anyways XD

my friend was shocked when i did tornado dance and then did gravity dance right after XD

He didnt believe me at first that i switched PAs and not weapons http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

panzer_unit
Oct 11, 2007, 08:59 AM
I've gotten killed swapping a fresh sword into my weapon palette. Admittedly it's only been once in my entire time playing PSU but it sucked that bad.

Jife_Jifremok
Oct 11, 2007, 01:53 PM
The palettes need to be faster and more responsive. In Monster Hunter's huge freaking palette that encompasses every usable item in my inventory, I have little to no trouble scrolling past pickaxes, bugnets and whetstones to get to my potions, paintballs or flash bombs. Yet in PSU's limited palette I often die trying to scroll from a sol atomizer or photon charge up or down ONE SPACE to a mate to heal myself.

Tigerram
Oct 11, 2007, 01:58 PM
I also think 8 spaces would be cool. Since I'm using every freaking spell in the game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

stukasa
Oct 11, 2007, 02:34 PM
I had more palette space problems as a WT than a fT. With fT you've basically just got Wands/Cards, Rods and Bows. As a WT you have to deal with tech stuff AND melee stuff.

I think F-Gattaca's onto something, though. I never played PSO:BB but the idea of hotkeys seems pretty appealing to me. I also remember someone suggesting that an entire setup could be configured with a single hotkey. For example, pressing that hotkey would not only swap your weapon but also your armor and units at the same time! Switching weapons is no big deal to me but having to go into the menu to switch armor after every room (especially in places like Neudaiz) can be frustrating at times. It's even worse when units are involved. >.>

panzer_unit
Oct 11, 2007, 02:37 PM
On 2007-10-11 11:53, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
The palettes need to be faster and more responsive. In Monster Hunter's huge freaking palette that encompasses every usable item in my inventory, I have little to no trouble scrolling past pickaxes, bugnets and whetstones to get to my potions, paintballs or flash bombs. Yet in PSU's limited palette I often die trying to scroll from a sol atomizer or photon charge up or down ONE SPACE to a mate to heal myself.

You're not being constantly pecked apart in Monster Hunter like a pack of lv100 Go-Vahra will do.

Most of what you take in Monster Hunter are enormous single hits, wether you dodge or get hit there's a fraction of a second in some uncontrollable dive / roll / ragdoll animation where a pro player will re-orient their view while cycling for a potion / flash / whatever. If you got to spend a second fussing with your palette like that after taking any real damage in PSU it would be no different.

Jife_Jifremok
Oct 11, 2007, 09:10 PM
On 2007-10-11 12:37, panzer_unit wrote:

On 2007-10-11 11:53, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

You're not being constantly pecked apart in Monster Hunter like a pack of lv100 Go-Vahra will do.

Most of what you take in Monster Hunter are enormous single hits, wether you dodge or get hit there's a fraction of a second in some uncontrollable dive / roll / ragdoll animation where a pro player will re-orient their view while cycling for a potion / flash / whatever. If you got to spend a second fussing with your palette like that after taking any real damage in PSU it would be no different.

That's because the hit detection is better so you can dodge what comes at you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Really, I sometimes take more time to find the needed item in my palette than it takes my guy in MH to drink a potion and strike a pose. Considering that healing items are far more urgently needed in PSU, especially when being caught in a combo and there's no way out, the slowness of the palette is nothing less than irritating. Few things in this game piss me off more than knowing I'm gonna get hit no matter what, going to the palette and popping a mate because I know this, and dying because the palette was too slow to move from weapons to items.

mizukage
Oct 11, 2007, 09:27 PM
I know this is a stupid question, but what is "pallet"??