PDA

View Full Version : Life without PSU

Kerry157
Oct 9, 2007, 01:14 AM
I deleted my characters last night (over 2300 hours of play) and uninstalled PSU because I had realized for a long time that I had been playing the game far too much. The fact of the matter is that I was (and still am even thought it’s gone) addicted to the game in a very negative way. I would get home from school and play instead of studying. I would play so late into the night that I would often be unable to go to class the next morning. I rarely went to sleep but always just play until I pass out. I would play on weekends when I should have been visiting family.

I don't know how many people play the same way I did but I played so much that my identity as a person became more defined on this videogame and more important on this videogame than it was in real life. I deleted everything because I know that it will be better for me not to play, better to live in the real world instead of a fantasy, better to direct my energy toward education and family. Many people can play the game non-addictively, but not me. Now that the game is gone it feels like there’s a large void in my life, having primarily spent most of my time and energy playing the game instead of focusing on things that really matter. I don't know if this void was already there before I started playing, and perhaps I filled it by delving into the game, (its very easy to feel like you 'belong' in a game community because really everyone is there for the same reason: to have fun and play the game, and there are really no pressures or anxiety that come with real life situations), or if it only exists now from having so abruptly stopped doing the only thing I have really done for the past 6 months. Anyways, the night after I deleted everything, all I dreamt about was PSU, and when I woke up I felt sick knowing it was gone. It's pathetic but I'm being honest.

I imagine there are more people like me who are addicted in a similar way, escaping from real life into the game, using the game to fill some empty aspect of their lives, and are experiencing things similar to what I experienced: suffering grades, suffering health, suffering social life, etc. I’m sure some of these people would also like to break free from the addiction, but it is so hard not to play because it’s so inviting, so easy, and sometimes fun to play. Whenever the urge to quit quelled in me, I would try so hard but never could while my characters still existed. And it is so difficult to delete one's characters because they represent all the hard 'work' you have done building levels and acquiring items and making friends. The value of one's 'items' (I use this term in quotes because really it’s all immaterial) also make it hard to just leave it all behind. Also it’s hard to just leave the community of people, whom are pretty much your only friends if you play as addictively as I did. If you are one of these people, to a lesser or greater extent than I, just know you aren't alone out there!

Tonight is the second night since I deleted everything and haven't played. Even though the game was really damaging my normal life by causing me to miss classes and spend very little time with friends and family, I still want to play, I still miss the game, and I regret having erased everything. Video game addiction really is real, and is especially terrible with MMORPGs. And especially for people who are missing something in life and use the game to fill that void (whether they realize they are doing it or not). Sure the game is pure harmless fun for some, but for people like me it can be a real problem. A lot of people don't understand how difficult and damaging it can be. Even now I want to play. I really hope I can manage to stay away from the game and start improving the aspects of my life that the game was destroying. Also, I hope I provided some insight to at least one person who is having the same problem with me. If you are currently addicted or trying to break the addiction or anything like this, know there are people out there in the same boat and who really understand what you are going through! My campus is entirely composed of people who have no idea what I'm going through so I'm pretty much doing this on my own, so it’s very hard. I'd be happy to talk to anyone about my experience or theirs related to this issue whether your addiction is less or more sever than mine. It seems pathetic, and maybe it is, but this issue is real and I really want to get better and help others get better as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kerry157 on 2007-10-08 23:53 ]</font>

Shou
Oct 9, 2007, 01:17 AM
How long did it take you to type that? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I havn't been able to play PSU because of a computer virus for about two monts now. Lemme tell you i miss it allot >.>

PS. i should be on in a few days http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

-Ryuki-
Oct 9, 2007, 01:18 AM
Take care Kerry. It's really sad to see another friend go >.<

l_Will_l
>.>

Chuck_Norris
k. Bye.

But really. I'll miss you kerry http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chuck_norris on 2007-10-08 23:19 ]</font>

D1ABOLIK
Oct 9, 2007, 01:19 AM
Thats sucks.I havent played in three months and still dont really have any urge too.The games not that good.But anyways,im happy for you that you realized this and broke the chain.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: D1ABOLIK on 2007-10-08 23:20 ]</font>
________
Half-baked (http://half-baked.com)

xgp
Oct 9, 2007, 01:21 AM
at lest games do not kill u lack drags or smocing. but if i see my safh playing to i jast set a cock and geva my shalf a time lemit.

Ryver
Oct 9, 2007, 01:36 AM
Goodness, seems good to know that someone was like me once. I was EXACTLY EXACTLY; quote "EXACTLY"; just like that. Get home from school or work, hop on PSU, play all night and sometimes just say "Screw it, i'll just sleep in and play PSU more."

The thing is, I DID have a life. School going good, work blah blah, had track practice and all that daily life stuff. Even when I was playing PSU I was still doing these things. It's just my addiction put some time on my social life (yeah, my old account had 2500 hours on one char but 3000 in total). Plus, when I deleted mine about 6 months ago, (May 30th), I completely felt like crap and was bored out of my mind on what to do. The first week, I tried to resist and it kept going on and on and on. But I had met some good friends on PSU that I kept in touch with via vent/AIM/Myspace etc. and that's what had me wanting to get back on PSU.

Over the 6 months of not having PSU, heh, got rich like dsklafjdskljf dsf. Took a summer job, had regular job, and I had track practice for the summer. KSDLJ FEKSJF as it went, I still craved PSU but I was getting more of my stuff done. But not only PSU as an addiction, I have a pure GAMING addiction. No matter what game. If i'm interested in it, i'll play it 25/7 not giving a damn about the outside. Happened over my 6 months. But whatever.

Even though I had mine deleted and craved PSU still, I decided to get back on again. I hecka missed it. It's great to be back, but the addiction can kick in sometimes but then you start to realize, "Ah damn, same old stuff. Run mission, recharge PP, buy mates, run mission, lvl. LK SDJFkj ldskf I'm bored as hell now."
Yeah and I got PSU on Oct. 6 (saturday) and i'm already lvl 35

But no worries to you Kerry, believe me lol, I know exactly how you feel. Most likely if you're still craving PSU again, get back on NAO! Well not now, but maybe you should consider making a return when AoI comes out. Lvling in AoI is seriously not that hard. I have feedback on it x] but yeah. If you give yourself some time and point out all the stuff you missed out on and point out all the bad addiction times you had, it'll get stuck in your head. That for me, is what helped me put some limit on PSU. And not only that, I feel bored again, sometimes wishing I didn't get back on. But eh, if the guys read this then inb4gtfoyouknowyoumissedmydumbass.

So Kerry, if you decide not to get back on PSU, it's all good. Just remember, playing once can get you addicted. Quitting makes you crave it. Getting back on a second time just makes you feel like "eh." So good luck to you, and happy PSUing (if not) in teh future.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryver on 2007-10-09 01:20 ]</font>

Shou
Oct 9, 2007, 01:38 AM
I understand... somthing that I suggest, if I may, is to try working out. I think, for your situation, it would be perfect.

1. You can start out solo then gradually gain friends that you meet so it has less pressure to meet a whole bunch of people at once.

2. It's healty

3. It builds confidence being in shape making it even easier to find yourself and socialize

4. Through a school, it is very cheap

5. The ladies http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif (or men) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Good luck. It sounds like a very hard and mature decision to make

F-Gattaca
Oct 9, 2007, 01:40 AM
Wow ... I wouldn't be able to have done what you did; throw away all my characters and time invested into a game. Doing that feels too much like throwing away the time spent in the game, like it was all a waste of life.

Personally ... I've never been that badly affected by MMOs. At least, they haven't worsened my life. I can get into them hardcore and then slack off/unsubscribe at will ... I never let them take over my life to a point where my grades in college suffer--studying and achieving comes first. Arguably my health already suffers from not getting enough excercise as it is, but MMOs haven't been the cause of that (I spend a lot of time on the comp doing projects and such).

In recent times with PSU, I either idle in my room to attract customers or I do leisurely soloing, letting my weapons regen naturally, which gives me plenty of time in between running missions--for example, when I'm leveling Killer Shot, I can spend 10 minutes or so in the mission and then an hour idling as the rifles get their PP back. Leaves me a lot of free time.

I guess for me, the void you describe that MMOs filled up for you is instead filled up for me by artwork and projects--building sand castles as it were. Most of my free time since August has been devoted to flash movies, game design, CGs, etc. Things with self-imposed deadlines that I rush against the clock to finish and get out on time. MMOs expose me to fresh looks on concepts and ideas, and I'm especiallly interested in a game's universe and history--that often leads me to making a lot of projects based on the world rather than playing the MMO itself (*cough* Ragnarok Wisdom *cough* CAST AWAY! *cough* ) ...

I don't think I can offer you advice on how to responsibly play the game ... I don't feel the same pull by MMOs (or video games in general), so I really don't know how to help someone fight that pull.

D1ABOLIK
Oct 9, 2007, 01:49 AM
On 2007-10-08 23:38, Shou wrote:
I understand... somthing that I suggest, if I may, is to try working out. I think, for your situation, it would be perfect.

1. You can start out solo then gradually gain friends that you meet so it has less pressure to meet a whole bunch of people at once.

2. It's healthy

3. It builds confidence being in shape making it even easier to find yourself and socialize

5. The ladies http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif (or men) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

By far the best comment so far in this thread.

________
Buy herbalaire (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/herbalaire/)

Kion
Oct 9, 2007, 01:55 AM
When I bought the game, i played it alot to level up as fast as possible, but i continued to keep up the pace as i had alotted and the time and had developed a group of friends online that all played at the same time, so signing on i always looked forward to see who was going to be there.

In terms of limiting the time spent playing; making only one character goes along way. Rather than aving four characters and tyring to get all the best stats and equipment for everything is not only selffish but a huge waste of time. Even if you got all S ranks for every character you can only use one at a time. I'd rather have a well equiped friend that I can hunt with and that will help me every night rather than being by myself trying to support to characters.

In terms of PSu it does become really addicting as there is the element that makes you want to be better than everyone else. It's really hard to play at your own will as it feels like a second job. You can't save and log off expecting it to be exactly like you left it. Every day needs attention o maintain one's status. The way I convince myself to stay away is to remind myself how much easier everything will come to be obtained as more content comes out: Famitsu has 250% exp, massive drop rates, festa will be more of the same, AoI will be easier still, and not even mentioning events higher leveled missions come out so there is very little point to repeating the same mission hundreds of times to reach the level cap when you can wait a month for a higher difficulty mission and acheive the same goal much quicker.

D1ABOLIK
Oct 9, 2007, 01:57 AM

2. It's healthy

________
PORTABLE VAPORIZER (http://vaporizer.org/)

AC9breaker
Oct 9, 2007, 02:03 AM
This is such an interesting topic. I also find it ironic that the latest episode of purepwnage seems to be dealing with a similar issue which is gaming addiction. I think it was pretty big of you Kerry to be as forward as your first post was, and I would really want to share some thoughts on this subject. But right now my mind is occupied with cram sessions, sleep, and caffeine which would hinder any coherent thought I would want to articulate in this topic. But I want to congratulate you on recognizing there was something wrong and doing something about it. I think what you did was the right thing and a step in the right direction and I feel quite confident that you'll be able to fill that void.

Also, I would to direct this comment to anyone who plans on posting in this thread. lets try to show some class, and have a meaningful exchange of thoughts ideas and experiences in this thread and keep the bullshit faggotry of what goes on in most threads out of this one.

Zarbolord
Oct 9, 2007, 02:08 AM
PSU is kinda a distraction for me. I mean, I haven't played it for 4 weeks and I was going bonkers from boredom. I might have to start going a bit less on it now that I'm at university and that I have to study, BUT without PSU it would be total boredom. Why? Well firstly in the UK, if you go outside after 5pm, every single shop is closed o.o I also don't rly have any available to friends to go out with, and certainly not to pubs, which are packed full every night of the week with people binge drinking and some even dying from alcohol overdose >_> And there's also the fact that I don't rly like alcohol. I don't have another hobby around here cos there's nothing interesting to do in the area (for me that is, unless you want to have a go at the knitting club at the university?). I also ave to say that PSU practicaly saved my life last year. I felt addicted but it socially saved my life. I had failed my exams the year before, and I then retook them after 3 hard core 8 hours a day of studying. And after that, a whole unexpected gap year. Where I used to live there wasn't a soul to speak to. You had to walk 20 minutes to reach the closest areas of inhabitation and guess what? They were old people, not saying they're not nice but you can't go chat with them about your teenage stuff. There was also the fact that my RL friends had all gone to university somewhere else in the world and I was the only one left alone. Now if I didn't have PSU, I'd have probably suicided, because the situation I was in was absolutly terrible. Both physically and mentally. There's also the fact that I like talking a lot in PSU, I've met a lot of friends (SabZero, EDGE_001, Mwabwetumba, Sekai, the vent crew, X.G.P, ... can't nominate everyone the list would go on for ages). So basically its a world of communication and distraction more than addiction. And I'm pleased of having it. There is the fact though that I'm starting to not like games so much anymore, which is why I only play PSU really, as its an MMO and not a boring single player offline game.

EDIT: And yes MMORPGs are a drug, infact in japan they've had so many addictions to such games that whole enterprises have been falling apart. And also, don't worry too much if you say "psu is boring" cos it means you're not that addicted. Also, its one of the easiest addictions to cure, trust me. I'd prefer to be addicted to a game than to be addicted to any substance in this world.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zarbolord on 2007-10-09 00:13 ]</font>

Dj_SkyEpic
Oct 9, 2007, 02:48 AM
Kerry, I'm actually glad you took effort into trying to get yourself away from the game.

It's really hard to get away from, myself. Each time off class or from the gym I would be on this game to relax from the real world and at most, play endlessly.

You've just became too attached to the world of PSU since you've made so much friends and memories that it's hard to let go. So you miss it as if it were your second life.

My suggestion to you if you ever decide on picking up PSU once again are:

~ Keep an organized time period to play PSU.
~ Start up another hobby i.e. Play a sport, exercise, etc.
~ Find someone to be with irl. Hang out with friends often, etc.
~ Learn, study. etc. Work your mind enough to feel too dizzy to play xD

I kind of believe that the deletion of your characters was overdoing it, though. It's like throwing away everything you've ever worked for. Maybe if you have given your friend items, etc. or let someone use your account, would have been a better idea.

Don't worry too much though. If you ever do come back, I'm sure you will have plenty of friends who want to help you back up on your feet. Especially with 1up coming in.

Anyways, hope you do well and work hard!

TetsuyaHikari
Oct 9, 2007, 02:50 AM
Well, I have a sort of similar situation actually. So...here goes..

alright, well..I began playing PSU back in mid-June and I've already got a little over 1,000 hours of gameplay put into it because I've been signing on since I first began, for every single day and have been playing for 6+ hours a day.

My day would consist of:

Wake up in the morning, take a shower, eat lunch, hop on PSU, eat a snack, go to sleep

Rinse and repeat

I would often skip meals to continue playing this game, because I figured.."Well, it's not like I'm going to starve anyway". So there were lots of days I would skip having a whole meal for dinner and would just eat a snack instead so I could stay online.

I've met a lot of interesting people through Phantasy Star Universe though. Do I regret putting so many hours into it? Well..in a way, yes. Why? Simple. I found my days going one by one quickly, due to this game.

I picked it up in June and I'm already in October, wondering where the months have gone. I've thoroughly enjoyed myself playing the game, however..that's all I've BEEN doing. I started signing on AIM less and less, I stopped calling people as frequently, my appetite was changed, my sleeping pattern was change also, I lost interest in my other hobbies, I didn't watch anime as often, and my schedule was always the same...it involved PSU taking up my whole day.

I've got a LOT of games I'd like to play, but despite trying them for a few minutes..I'd quickly find myself switching back to PSU and devoting the rest of my time to that instead. I didn't like where this was heading, so just recently..I decided to take a step back and look at what was happening, then I realized something.

I need to stop. What I was doing was rather childish and I needed to make a decision while I still had a conscious of doing so..before it turned into an addiction. So, yesterday..I decided...I needed to take a break from the game for about a week or so and see how that works for me.

Don't get me wrong..I think the game is fun, I enjoy it and all, however...I had been skipping meals, losing sleep, not being as active with my friends, and whatnot..it wasn't worth losing my friends over, nor my sanity...so..a break was necessary.

I don't believe it is pathetic to admit to having an addiction. I believe what is pathetic though are the people who claim, "I don't have a problem" and they cease all communication with anyone outside of the game, locking themselves away from the outside world.

I believe if you can stop the addiction before it becomes a serious problem, you have done a great thing, Kerry. It takes a lot of willpower to do something like what you did. A lot of people may give you advice such as, "Just don't play the game as much. Play it for an hour or so a day instead", but most of them don't realize..that's not really possible for you.

I'm the same way, really. I can't just pick up a game like this and play it for about an hour or so, then put it down. You can do that with a fighter or something, but this is an RPG.

Well..to get back on topic though..I believe if I would have continued to play it as continuously as I have been, I would have burned myself out on it and my thoughts of it would have changed from, "Hey, this is pretty fun" to "Meh".

I don't want that to happen, therefore..I'm taking a break and I'll be signing back on next week at some point, hoping things will be better for me. I know I need to learn some self-control. I don't need anyone to tell me that, but..as the old saying goes:

"Easier said than done"

I understand I should limit myself to how much I play, so it can still seem fresh to me, but..it's hard for me to do that with ANY game, honestly. I suppose this mentality is hard to work with on an MMO since it can cause an addiction rather quickly if one isn't careful.

Well..I can understand why you don't want to play anymore though, Kerry. You want to move on with your life and if you would've continued to play PSU, then you would've kept going into a downward spiral where in the end..you would've eventually been left all alone and you didn't want that to happen, therefore..you prevented it by ceasing to play the game altogether.

I respect your decision, Kerry. I hope that everything works out for you and despite quitting, I hope you remember the fun you had by embarking on the journey of playing Phantasy Star Universe.

Godspeed http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

landman
Oct 9, 2007, 03:14 AM
I know myself and this is the reason why I don't play MMORPG, but I don't consider PSU a massive and I can just not play it if I don't have the time, no person I play with will feel bad because I didn't log on one day (or one week)

Kion
Oct 9, 2007, 03:57 AM
On 2007-10-08 23:36, Ryver wrote:
I have a pure GAMING addiction. No matter what game. If i'm interested in it, i'll play it 25/7 not giving a damn about the outside. Happened over my 6 months. But whatever.

lol. same. I usually won't stop playing a game until I've completed 100%, found the easter eggs and can walk my way through "ultimate" modes. PSU isn't so nice in that they make it horribly difficult to find anything or level. Also with new content and competition with others, the game becomes a really bad addiction that lasts along time.

I don't mind spending two hours a day on a game, but when i look back on the total game time it seems like a complete waste. I could be a super genius f i had spent the same amount of time studying, an all star track runner or anything if i had put mind an time into doing something tangable.

Saphion
Oct 9, 2007, 04:14 AM
I went through a similar thing with PSO back in the day, but due to a bizarre twist of fate I still managed to get good grades (could've been better, though!). Although, I wouldn't swap that time I spent on PSO (often until 6:30am from about 9pm!) for the world. Good times.

Sonic Team actually forced me to quit the habit in the end by shutting down PSO and releasing PSU, which was basically PSO but with all the bits I myself enjoyed removed or butchered.

It's probably for the best.

bloodflowers
Oct 9, 2007, 04:20 AM
I'm addicted, but then I realised I just don't care. I still go to work, when I get home I want to forget work, and PSU does that, and on the scale of how expensive free time can get, it's right down at the flatline, just above 'staring like a vegetable at cable TV' which is hugely popular with people, yet not looked down on like gaming.

Mayu
Oct 9, 2007, 04:24 AM
I still get A's -.-

not a big deal

1D -.-

CelestialBlade
Oct 9, 2007, 06:20 AM
On 2007-10-09 00:48, Dj_SkyEpic wrote:
~ Keep an organized time period to play PSU.
~ Start up another hobby i.e. Play a sport, exercise, etc.
~ Find someone to be with irl. Hang out with friends often, etc.
~ Learn, study. etc. Work your mind enough to feel too dizzy to play xD

This be good advice, yarr. oshit talk like a pirate day is long over

I know of people that've seriously gotten addicted to games like Ragnarok Online or World of Warcraft, but I can't say it's ever hit me. I've indeed found that the more occupied I stay offline, the more the game feels like a relaxing period of hanging out with my online friends.

MMOs are my "escape" from the real world, but I accept that they're not my real world.

Novenia
Oct 9, 2007, 06:31 AM
WOW. Is it bad that I laughed?

I honestly think that SEGA is trying to turn us into hikikomoris cos they hate us.

They're like, "Let's put subliminal messages in the game so they can't stop playing.....EVEEERRRRRR"

.....Regardless, I find it odd for people like Dj Skyeptic to give advice. XD

But yeah, I don't think I'm addicted.....I mean. I honestly hate playing the game for too long..... I guess I'm just easily distractd. If I wanted to I COULD be those who lvl 100 in 3 days and think they gain respect and God-Status for 30 lvl PAs/techs.....

I chose not to cos I knew someone like that and he was a very mean person. Me, I am mean, sometimes. But not as bad as he was. I honestly don't like hanging with people like that and I can't help but insult them. Just for the fun. I usually play for the fun and that's that. For some reason it joys me to watch all 8 of my characters growing~. That's the only joy that keeps me playing....o o

I keep a normal life. If you look at my characters you'd ask yourself, "Why aren't they yet a higher lvl?!" and the age of my accounts don't match.

lostinseganet
Oct 9, 2007, 06:37 AM
Well hmmm very touching, but that really only affects your offline character. You online character is still saved server side by sega. Just chill a bit get your life back, and get into the game. Some self control is all you need.

Rashiid
Oct 9, 2007, 07:46 AM
im having logging in issues w/ my new xbox. (keeps saying 'Maintainence')

if i cant get on by the 17th, then i might be gone too (not that anyone would miss me)

amtalx
Oct 9, 2007, 08:47 AM
At least you (OP) have the courage to admit it and do something about it. That's the first step. Video game addiction is why I refuse to play WoW or Everquest. It's easier for me just to play a game that isn't quite as good so, I'll get bored after 5 hours instead of 20.

Reipard
Oct 9, 2007, 08:54 AM
I suppose it takes all kinds, really. I find it hard to get addicted to this game; way too repetitive.

If it was really affecting your life that much, then good for you for showing the maturity to pull yourself away for a while and focus on other things in your life. Although I think this dramatic public confession was rather unnecessary http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

milka
Oct 9, 2007, 09:20 AM
Kerry I'm gonna miss you like hell!!

You were one of the most talent, funny and great friend I always found on PSU!!!

I felt like you during June-September, when the S rank weapons started.... was very hard for me to realize that was psu... I was getting REALLY SAD, NEVER SATISFIED... always nervous, didn't want to do anything... just play play play play..

But then I had the 192 Error on my account I was forced not to play!!!! It took more then a month to come back.. but I was hopeless...

After one week, I realize what was going on... It was PSU...

So I did what Dj_SkyEpic said:
Putted everything on time, gym, job, study, movies, boyfriend and psu... Working perfectly now!! Always psu is the LAST thing...

AGAIN.. I'M REALLY GONNA MISS YOUUUUUUU!!! REALLY!!!! Hope you get better and put everything in order again in your life!!!

HUGSSSSSSSS so you can feel stronger!!! <3 <3 <3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: milka on 2007-10-09 08:29 ]</font>

Kerry157
Oct 9, 2007, 09:28 AM
I appreciate all of your comments and encourage you to continue discussing the issue. The experience is different for everyone, but a few of your comments have portions that have really described almost exactly the way it is for me (namely, kikumaru). It's interesting and useful to hear about other people's situations and how they are the same or differe from one's own. (For example, similar to something someone else said, I would probably not have become addicted or even played the game if most of my friends had not gone to other universities. I don't really get along with the type of people at my university which made it more inviting to play with people on the game.) Also, I quit my job back at FedEx in my hometown in December so I could come to this university for my degree. I loved my job so much and everyone there was great. I probably should have just stayed there even though there aren't many good universities in Cleveland. (This maybe is the void? heh)

I'm still having a hard having just quit, but I hope if i can stay away from the game (which will be easy now since I couldn't get back on if i wanted to), the less I'll think about it and the less I'll want to play it as my days start getting filled with all the regular things they used to be filled with before i played PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kerry157 on 2007-10-09 07:36 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kerry157 on 2007-10-09 07:41 ]</font>

xgp
Oct 9, 2007, 09:37 AM
u r acting lack u jast got off drug its a game thats fun not some drug or a deshis come on.

Kamiense
Oct 9, 2007, 09:49 AM
Well, I've noticed myself playing quite a bit more, but only because I've been sick for the past four months. I used to play MMO's a lot, (Ragnarok Online), but deleted all my characters when I quit. I didn't have much anyway.

Just try and find something that interests you. I draw comics, workout and trick during the day. I don't know how to really help you, PSU just doesn't have that addictiveness to me. Good luck on what you do, and I hope you find that hobby that interests you. :)

Shinou
Oct 9, 2007, 10:16 AM
TC you just gotta realize that PSU is NOT a hardcore game. It's not going anywhere and it doesnt take forever and a day to level....welll it sorta doesnt. I dont know if you should've deleted your characters or not, but if I were you I just woulda took a month or two break. You can and still could just come back to the game and play casually, this isn't FFXI, WoW, or any other game out there requires an extensive amount of time to accomplish something or be good its just.....PSU

Reginaldo
Oct 9, 2007, 10:58 AM
All I can say is, you know I'll be here when you return. We partied nearly everytime I wasn't off in afkland aka real life. I'm sorry things had to end for you like this, you should probably seek some sort of counseling because that sort of addictive behavior can translate to other, not so harmless activities. Regardless I wish you the best in whatever path you choose to take in life. Who knows, maybe somewhere along the line you might find your way back to us, but with the addictive part behind you.

Goodbye, Kerry.

Kerry157
Oct 9, 2007, 11:17 AM
Yeah Reggie, that would be nice, but can you smoke cigarettes non-addictivley?

SolomonGrundy
Oct 9, 2007, 12:58 PM
bottom line: the game is designed to be addictive, and rewards those who play frequently.

PSO was bad. PSU is far worse.

GreenArcher
Oct 9, 2007, 02:11 PM
For me with this game, it's been a constant fluctuation between uber-addicted and casual/not playing at all. During the week is when I play the most, I get home from school, get all or most of work done, then split the remaining time between drumming and PSU. On the weekends I'm almost never home, besides Sunday night (cram school work in). PSU on the weekends is usually only late night if at all.

For me this all works out great; just about all of my friends are too busy to do anything during the week with sports + schoolwork to deal with (and somehow I've got an A average in EVERY class so far http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif)

Kerry157
Oct 9, 2007, 02:14 PM
On 2007-10-09 09:17, Kerry157 wrote:
Yeah Reggie, that would be nice, but can you smoke cigarettes non-addictivley?

I just realized this is a silly comment since I myself smoke a cig maybe once every few months (certainly not addictively), but i could never play psu only once a few months <_<

DavidNel
Oct 9, 2007, 02:15 PM
Man, I try playing the game, but I usually get bored after two runs... Then I come back in 2-3 hours, do another few runs, then break again. I wish I HAD dedication, lol.

But it's good that you got away from the game. Try excersising. When you're sweatting like crazy, you won't be thinking of the game, lol.

ljkkjlcm9
Oct 9, 2007, 02:17 PM
I think Kerry has brought something to light that a lot of people here should take note of. You can be addicted to a lot of different things in this world, not just drugs/alcohol/smoking and the like. Personally, I'm addicted to my friends. I drop anything at a moments notice to spend time with a friend, regardless of the problems it causes me. Many people are addicted to computers in general. And I'm afraid there's a large quantity of people that are addicted to PSU, WoW, or other video games.

Basically, if you find yourself looking forward to the next time you do something whenever you're not doing it... You think about it constantly. You dream about it, you don't know what to do without it... you're probably addicted. Not saying everyone is, but it's all about balancing things in your life, and it's hard to do.

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2007-10-09 12:18 ]</font>

chibiLegolas
Oct 9, 2007, 02:19 PM
Oh, THANK YOU Kerry for sharing your personal thoughts on the addiction that is PSO/PSU.
And let me tell you. You are NOT alone. Most, if not all of what you've said in your 1st post I can totally relate to. And I feel less alone cause of it.

For me, it was the entire PSO legacy that had me absurdly addicted to (a little over 5 years?). My grades at the time suffered, along with my job, friends, family, and the necessary drive to improve myself after graduation. To stop only meant that I was giving myself a vacation away from PSO. But sure enough, after a few months of being "clean", I would always end up going back and playing offline mode. Then of course, end up resubscribing all over again. When I close my eyes to rest and sleep, I dream PSO.

Heck, I think the worst year was when PSO ver.2 DC was coming out soon. That was back when I still attended college. My daily grind was to take the public bus to campus. Attend classes, immediately do all my homework/study when classes where over (get it done when PSO isn't anywhere around). Power walk/jog for over an hour on my way home (only excercise I get the whole day). Immediately have a small bowl of white rice with veggies, small bites of meat, then jump right onto PSO. Time spent eating was time wasted from PSO!
After years of this, my friends and family were worried about me and my health. My girl friends wondered how the hell I stayed so thin. I dubbed this the PSO diet! A great game that MADE you forget about eating all together or eat less just to get back online!
And I'm sure living on one bowl of ramen/rice + lettuce + 1 egg each day wasn't the best on my body. But since I don't move much after so many hours of play each day, and my mind mentally distracted, I didn't think my body needed anymore caleries anyways. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
I'm not sure where the fat/obese stereotypes of gamers comes from. I figure as long as you don't eat junk or fast food type items, it's ok.

Yes, PSO has affected my grades significantly since all I wanted to do was just do well enough to pass. Then get back on PSO. And my husband forever hates PSO/PSU cause of me. It was hurting our relationship and I knew it. I love him and his company (was boyfriend at the time). But I still couldn't kick my habit. While I'm with him, I'm constantly thinking about the game and my PSO friends who are having fun without me.
At work, I can't concentrate and always thought about PSO and the rares I'm currently hunting for, and items I should trade away for. Not to mention memorizeing the C-mode maps when they were released.

But in the end, I had to choose my life with my boyfriend - fiance - now husband over PSO/PSU. And realized this addiction really has to stop. I had to take a step back, look at my situation and decide, do I love PSO/PSU more than my husband? Of course not! But I have a really addictive personality and I have to try harder to kick the game. I don't think I'll have the courage to totally erase my characters like Kerry did tho. But I'd have to disconnect my liscense, wires and system to force myself not to play anymore. But to also know that if my craving for the game ever comes back, my characters are still saved and ready, waiting for me. So there's that little feeling of security in that respect. Afterall, I did waste over 5 years of my life on the PSO/PSU series. I'd at least like to keep my characters as a sort of trophy to remind myself, this was what I've done with that part of my life. I regret some aspects of it. But don't regret meating close online friends. (I wonder what ever happened to them....). But am also thankful for myself to make the right decision to pry myself away from the game and start/continue a new life with my husband.

PSU comes along with potentially addicting me once again. But luckily for me, somehow PSU is lacking something from PSO and it's not as addicting to me as PSO was. PSU is still addicting enough tho. My husband goes to sleep in a cold bed without me while I stay up late nights. And most weekends I'm shut out from the world in my attempt to level bullets and suppurt techs, while still being sane....

Solutions:
Right now, I'm on a vacation away from PSU till the 1Up Cup comes around. But I've learned to keep myself sane, (while trying to break from my addiction,) I visit the forums daily to chat it up with fellow gamers. So I get my minor dose of PSU without actually playing it.
It seems to help, at least for me.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-Also, whenever you DO plan to log in, always set a minor/reasonable goal for yourself that night. PM raising. Do a few runs of X. Level PA's. etc. There's too much to do on PSU, and you can easily get distracted. So if I set a goal for myself, I get more focused and not waste time knit-picking on details or idling around when life limits my time on PSU. So make the best on what you've got!

Can we change the thread topic to the PSO/PSU rehab anynomous group or something?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2007-10-09 12:40 ]</font>

Mwabwetumba
Oct 9, 2007, 02:36 PM
I feel for you, I've had many friends with problems like yours.. albeit probably not as severe, as you say it.

"Fortunately" for me, though, my ultimate span of concentration is far too spread out for me to get obsessed about something for any lengthy period of time. Like with PSU for instance, I played it like crazy for one month, then broke off from it. I then returned to it a few months later and it has now been assimilated into my daily scheme on a less severe basis. As has been done with Dynasty Warriors, Halo and Dawn of War. Each of them I played fanatically for a couple of weeks and then the peak interest subsided, temporarily. It's very rare for me to ultimately let go of anything that I have ever taken a liking to, instead it gets assimilated in with all the other daily things. Of course I don't have time to play all my games each day, but they all fit in somewhere in the typical week, along with my other assorted interests.
My friends tells me that I'm lucky to have that kind of mindset, but it really dampens things sometime. :/

Anyway, good to hear that you're on the right way to be free, best of luck to you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PALRAPPYS
Oct 9, 2007, 02:44 PM
On 2007-10-09 05:46, Rashiid wrote:
im having logging in issues w/ my new xbox. (keeps saying 'Maintainence')

if i cant get on by the 17th, then i might be gone too (not that anyone would miss me)

I would...

But regardless, I've never had the play-for-hours-and-hours addiction. PSU is fun, but it's no way the best game ever.

Kylie
Oct 9, 2007, 03:03 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif The times PSU has been down, I have been pretty miserable because I usually don't have anything to do... Anyway, thanks for the few gifts you gave me at your going away party, and take care of yourself. As for addiction... I'm confident that I'm not addicted to PSU because I don't play until I pass out, I still have a good social life, I take care of my responsibilities; but I do recognize that it's possible to get addicted to anything, even PSU. If you know it's what you needed, then I commend you for going through with it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2007-10-09 15:17 ]</font>

Gryffin
Oct 9, 2007, 04:58 PM
Woah, I gotta say Kerry, that takes tons of guts to do. I myself have a few addictions/bad habits, PSU being one of them, and I've yet to be able to stop, or even cut down. PSU isn't the worst of them, thankfully, but It's still an issue.

I hope you can find what your looking for, and if you need someone to talk to, PSOW will always be there for you ;D

beatrixkiddo
Oct 9, 2007, 05:02 PM
Might as well face it, you're addicted to love. >:o

On topic:

Nah, I really don't feel like sharing how much this has made me think about my life.

mizukage
Oct 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
Life without PSU.. The fact is that if it wasn't for the expansion aoi coming out next month, I would had left PSU a long time back for Xenosaga. Due to the release of AOI, I was never able to complete Xenosaga and never was able to start Xenosaga 2 or 3. Well, about people getting addicted to tobacco or PSU, I think its kinda strange. After all, its not like that people cannot live without either of them. The only things people cannot live without would be oxygen and water, as well as food.

Dragwind
Oct 9, 2007, 05:49 PM
Very good thread, in my opinion.

I must say I've also been doubting my play habits as normal. I'm juggling a full time stressing physical labor job, along with college following right after. It's hard enough to deal with just those 2 major obstacles of the day, then having to deal with bills, homework, and fatigue.

However, I'm constantly thinking back to my PSO experience during high school, and I've been starting to get worried. This was the main reason I didn't make a PSU account right away and played on a friends - I didn't want to get absorbed again.

My problem is that where I live, it's full of druggies, low-lifes, and very few decent people. I do have those groups of really good friends, but everyone is pretty busy with the same things now - work, and college.

This left PSU being my prized, special time of the day where I can do stuff that I want. I'm still trying to put in whatever time I can, but strategies people have posted with do help a ton.

From my experiences, when you need to focus on important life matters and keep thoughts about PSU from coming near-

- Realize over time, things DO become easier to obtain, and it generally becomes easier to level up.

- Setting smaller goals does go a long way. If you're focusing on 4 characters, you're really putting more stress on yourself to do too much of what you want to accomplish. I really recommend focusing on only one character.

- AFK. The more you're away from the game doing random stuff, the less time you're ACTUALLY playing it. The longer you have the game in front of you, the more absorbed you are into it.

- DON'T think of the game outside of when you're playing it. This is a problem I often do, even in the shower and at work. I'm constantly thinking "ZOMG I WANA DO THIS, AND LVL THAT OMG, PWN." After a while, I'll notice myself becoming sucked into a zoned out state.

- Plan play ahead of time, rather than playing out of nowhere. I've been trying to limit myself to 3 hours or less a day. Then if I'm free on weekends, do what I want. It goes a long way towards cutting down.

- Competition. I've never had this issue, but some friends on PSU push themselves the extra mile just to be better than a fellow friend or enemy. Once you get sucked into this mindset, you're really digging yourself deep into pointless gameplay. Remember- on the internet, even if you win, you still lose.

If I sounded like an arse in any form, I'm sorry. It's just really important I feel that more people admit to actually having the problem. I have much respect for you admitting this and bringing it out in the open.

OldCoot
Oct 9, 2007, 06:15 PM
You made the right decision when you knew that the game was sucking away time that can be better used. This is a hard decision, and one that you had to take. To kill and addiction, you can't have it around.

Lately it has helped me in that I know very well that grinding a mission 40 times will most likely not result in fininding what I search for, and that stops any ideas of, "Lets do this all day and we might find something. "

I can't tell you how much I miss enjoying my grandmother's dinners ( She died about 4 years ago) or seeing others move on. You can't get those things back. I am very happy for you in that you made the right decision, tough, but right. You did it the best way, make no way to return knowing you will not want to regrind all over again.

I didn't know you being I play on the 360, but take care.

Seira7
Oct 9, 2007, 07:46 PM
Strange, I was thinking about coming back to the game for the complete opposite reason - I wasnt addicted. I couldnt stand to put more than 1-2 hours in a day, although I found it fairly enjoyable, PSU lacked that something-something that made me an addict. AND, I have been addicted to games before, in RO, I would spend loooong hours playing and shirk my RL responsibilities, and one day, I did exactly the same - quit cold turkey, gave me stuff away (to the joy of many), and deleted.
Several weeks later, I got an AMAZING job and thats what I devote my life to now (well that and my family^^)

Now that other games that I could see myself really addicted to (im looking at you - SEAL online. and AION probably...) are coming out, I find myself wondering if maybe a very casual game is for the best. Im divided between PSU/AOI and Angel Love for PS3 if that comes in English (Ive played it - its very cool for casual players).

Anyhow, kudos to you for moving on with your life.
Games just arent worth it if they take too much from you, be it time, or your sanity.

Blue-Hawk
Oct 9, 2007, 08:23 PM
I was the exact same way with Guild Wars. Played about 5K hours total in the 2 1/2 years since release. And that's not counting the umpteen hours I put in duing the closed beta tests. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

But PSU was REALLY lacking for me, yes I was offline, but online didn't sound too much better. I did miss PSO, but after a while, these games DO get rather old and stale. Repatition can be fun for a while but do it over and over and see how long it lasts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blue-Hawk on 2007-10-09 18:24 ]</font>

Turbobrain
Oct 9, 2007, 08:39 PM

2. It's healty

Excellent advice.

I'm addicted to both the gym and video games....

I dont sleep much....

I have VERY bad ADHD so need to keep busy and get distracted easily.

If you have addictions, video games and gym addictions are not bad ones, quite healthy you look good and save a hunch of money.... If I was not into these things, well I like beer and would hate to be an alcholic. Addcitive perosnalites are real, I see them every day at work. At lest you realise you have the problem. Good luck. BTW you wont cure it by running....

Dragwind
Oct 9, 2007, 08:45 PM
Sometimes I think forms of ADD really add to the level of addiction. Studies have shown that people with ADD tend to be more habit forming as well. I myself, included.

TetsuyaHikari
Oct 10, 2007, 04:47 PM
Honestly, I don't mean to sound rude here, but..ADD would really decrease the chances of an addiction. I'm not really sure what form of ADD you was talking about, but..ADD is often referred to people who can't keep focused on a particular thing for a long period of time.

It can be a video game, a conversation, movie, anything really. They're usually not focused on one particular thing for a long period of time. This would probably lead to more hobbies since they would be doing so many different things, not spending a whole lot of time on one specific thing.

Still though, I don't understand how ADD (or a form of it, rather) could increase the chances of getting the addiction, since people with ADD would be pretty safe from getting an addiction to a game, since their attention isn't focused on one thing for a long period of time.

Anyway, feel free to explain if you'd like. Sorry if this seemed offensive. I was just a bit confused as to how it could be possible, is all.

About ADD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention-Deficit_Disorder)

Kerry157
Oct 14, 2007, 01:06 PM
Have been off the juice for some time and im feeling ok.

Dragwind
Oct 14, 2007, 01:55 PM
Kikumaru, you didn't seem offensive at all. I really liked that. I wish more people on psow could argue without coming off like such as arse.

Anyways, from what i've read up on and talked about with a psychiatrist, people with ADD do have a problem with focus, yes.

However, usually the reason they have this problem is because its something they simply don't want to do in their minds, and it becomes near impossible for them to direct the focus into it.

With PSU however, if one with ADD enjoys it and continues to play it, he/she will continue doing so. There's a few more odd details about the condition and addiction but if we dwelved any further this would get horridly sidetracked.

I'll say this though, ADD with hyperactivity (no longer classified as ADHD oddly) I suppose would make it hard to become addicted to psu though. I can only bet one would be hopping in his chair from sheer excitement, lol.

Dahilia
Oct 19, 2007, 12:43 PM
I was the same EXACT way with WoW, but not so much with PSU since I had been through that before, so even the addictive quality/ mindless fun factor was gone. Plus you can get more done in PSU than in WoW in an hour.

I was about to reinstall PSU when I realized I needed to focus more on my art and designs since the past 3 years have been commited to online gaming, and, unless I start selling virtual economy, that's not gonna pay the bills. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

You have my total empathy, and I wish you luck and strength in whatever you do.

On 2007-10-08 23:49, D1ABOLIK wrote:

2. It's healthy

Seconded.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dahilia on 2007-10-19 10:46 ]</font>

thunder-ray
Oct 20, 2007, 11:53 PM
to tel u the truth i play just to meet new ppl and have alot of fun. it can get addicting but i learnt how to control it over the years by doing other things. i understand how u feel and its sad that u deleted ur characters i dont think i ever got to meet u. But it was good that u enjoyed this game in a way most ppl play for the pure enjoyment while others play for the wrong reasons. Again i wish u the best of luck that u have take care bye http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif