PDA

View Full Version : Am I Insensitive?

PJ
Oct 10, 2007, 08:55 PM
Not in PSU General, I mean with what I'm about to post http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

This is a small exert (sp?) from my Xanga-blog-deal-thing.

"It was titled, the problem with the world, and it posted a video about a kid who was beaten by other children, "Because he was autistic." And then he made a group on Facebook, calling, "Standing Still," basically about kids who are different who are treated badly. So was my point on it;

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/PJ_PSU/PJtalksworldsproblem.png

When I say, "This group is an excellent gesture," I'm lying. There's a difference between individuality, and then trying too hard to be sensitive. Like, in this instance. It's not like the kids beat him up BECAUSE he was autistic. But the news story certainly liked to continue bringing up the fact that he was [autistic, not that he was beat up because of it]. Why is the problem ALWAYS focused on, "Different," cases, and not on all cases? That's just me."

I'm more focusing on the fact that the news can pick and choose their, "Victims," and make it seem like there has to be something special about the kid for it to be a real problem.

Hardly a real rant. And the only reason I use a picture bit from Facebook rather than actual text is because I think my mini display picture is hilarious.

Sord
Oct 10, 2007, 09:11 PM
I've had two autistic brothers for 8 years now. They're twins, and while I doubt they may be the worst cases, they sure as hell aren't any of the better ones. They got kicked out of every day care and destroyed one. They have to attend seperate schools because no single one can handle them both. Yet nearly everything is absolved because they are autistic and have problems they were born with. They can't help it, but because of it, they will be pitied whenever something go wrong for them, even if it's no worse then what any regular kid gets. On top of this, they will be excused more when they turn around and do the same actions.

I wouldn't say your harsh at all. I'd say a lot of society is blind and biased with pity.

Scejntjynahl
Oct 10, 2007, 09:24 PM
So Sord, what do you propose should be done about it? Treat them as equals? Do you think that really is feasible? I do understant the frustration you must have to know that they as you said are "exempt" from their ill behaviour. But what other recourse would you suggest? As far as I know, they really can't be any other way.

I myself can't offer any plausible solutions, seriously I can not think of how to approach this and still consider the fact that they are autistic and yet be fair about it in consideration to all those who aren't autistic.

Reminds me of what my father once told me:

"Try to please everyone and in the end you will please no one."

Sord
Oct 10, 2007, 09:39 PM
Honestly, I don't what to do about it. For now, I just deal with it as best I can. I try to just move on with my own life and go after my own goals. There is no easy answer to this, I'm doubtful there's even a correct answer. I've already set plans under way to get out of here shortly after highschool (apartment and college.) I've been busting my ass in school since last year (junior, now I'm a senior.) I'm entering network administration, I already have my A+ cert, and half my CCNA (which is now called a CCENT and is a cert in it's own right.) I was the top of my class al last year, with an average of 97 in the Cisco Netwrok Academy, never allowing a single test to be below an 80. Last summer I went through all of this semester's work before hand. Right now I just want to get away from it all. Some might call it running away, and I very well migh be. I have no idea if when I turn my back, if I'll ever come back. I honestly don't know. You can't please everyone, so at times you just have to focus on yourself.

The world isn't fair, I'm dealing with it. Everyone has to deal with it.

ABDUR101
Oct 10, 2007, 10:50 PM
It's not being biased and blind with pity when you're giving care to special care needing people. Thats like saying "Fuck him, he lost a leg, so what? Let him learn to walk with one. What makes him so special to get pity and attention?"

The worst thing one could have, is a malfunctioning brain. You can't get a new one, and there is no prosthetic.

As for an autistic kid getting beat up. Kids are ignorant, how would anyone know if he wasn't getting beat up because of that? I know people who got beat up because of a fucking haircut, and I know autism comes in alot of severities. I would'nt be surprised if the kids singled that one out throughout school and finally took the opportunity to get their lumps in.

And honestly, no one is going to do a news report on some random kid getting his ass beat anywhere. Who gives a fuck? Oh no, a random everyday kid got beat up for something stupid, more at 10! Back to Lou with the Weather! Oh no wait Lou, this just in, there was a domestic dispute at the Wilson's residence, appearently Phil is tired of eating 99c cheeseburgers and wants his wife to, and I quote "Get up off her fat ass and start putting an effort into dinner". Wow, imagine that Phillis!..etc

Everyday people don't get on the news for everyday happenings, because no one cares; because thats just the way life is. But if someone with a disability gets discriminated against, or anyone "unique" has something happen to them, awareness is made. Racial fights, anti-gay rallies, anything like that, it gets media attention because it's different than what some people may know about. Just because you've been around for 15-20 years doesn't mean shit, because there are people who were born after you who may not have heard or even realise discrimination occurs. The media repeats these things to keep it in the air, so it isn't just ignored and forgotten.

You're going to go through life saying "Why do they keep talking about this shit? Who cares?", well "Who cares" are the people who never heard about it happening before, to them it's news, it sparks interest.

Though local news channels will actually keep everyone up to date on local happenings, no matter how ordinary. Which is good, because it just leads to more awareness on everyday things. Shootings, accidents, robberies, etc.

Hurray for tangeants!

PJ
Oct 10, 2007, 11:19 PM
I agree Abdur, the news can't cover EVERY little, excruciating thing about everyday life.

But my main point is how my friend only cares because he was beaten up, and autisic. When kids get beaten up everyday. It also bugs me that, although he seems to care about this, hes far from doing anything about it.

Sord
Oct 10, 2007, 11:34 PM
On 2007-10-10 20:50, ABDUR101 wrote:
It's not being biased and blind with pity when you're giving care to special care needing people. Thats like saying "Fuck him, he lost a leg, so what? Let him learn to walk with one. What makes him so special to get pity and attention?"

I never said a thing about giving care. We're talking about public attention and opinion. Not actions (in this case, the action of taking care.)

Action, is the thing there is to little of, if anything. Everyone watches, but rarely does anyone do anything unless they have to live with it.

DurakkenX
Oct 11, 2007, 09:26 AM
You guys aren't getting what he's saying >.>
He's saying that he's pissed that the news only aired the report because the kid was autistic, regardless of that not being WHY he got beat up. The kid got beat up for something apparently completely not related to autism but they made it like all the kids are against autistic people.

The news should try to change the things that are wrong, not create a worse reason and single out groups. Kids should never get beat up by other kids, but then again I should expect anything more from profit mongers than I expect from teachers. My I experience, I got beat up by all the males in my middle school when I was in 6th grade in front of all 3 grades' teachers and at least 2 other adults that all did nothing to stop it. The reasoning behind it? Apparently they didn't like me knowing and interpretting the bible at a much higher level than they could (not my words...priest's words) and got better grades, and was more social with the females... Nothing was ever done about and nothing was ever said about it afterwards and this was a friggin CHRISTIAN PRIVATE school and it happened in front of 5 adults. That should have been all over the news just for the shear wrongness of those 5 adults that did nothing.

panzer_unit
Oct 11, 2007, 12:38 PM
I try to teach my son some street smarts, and we go to karate together. I don't know if my autistic daughter's EVER going to be able to handle abstract ideas like that, and even if she was taught how to fight the poor girl's senses are so easily overwhelmed that just enough shouting would have her break down crying.

There's a world of difference between assaulting someone who *might* have a fighting chance (kicking a fair-sized dog) and someone who clearly has none (kicking a puppy). Cruelty on that level ALWAYS ends up in the news too. Not just mentally disabled kids... cripples, old folks, pregnant women.

DikkyRay
Oct 11, 2007, 04:55 PM
As much as i hate to say it, i hate when its mentally challenged kids that get news coverage.
Sure it is sad that such people are mistreated. But what about the other kids who are hurt even more, but are normal?
I would have to say it would be embarassing to me if i was challenged in some way, and there was a news report on me. Something that gives me difficulties becomes the #1 thing people now know about me. I could be smart, funny, do something reat, but nooooo it all comes back to being mentally challenged.
As much as i hate to say it, me and some friends are terrible and make fun of mentally challenged people. But only to an extent. We are all fucking morons. But there is a difference between making fun of (no one really knows we are doing this) and actually hurrting them. We'd be the first to defend someone like that being picked on.