PDA

View Full Version : Major Slowdown issues...

Achaiah191
Oct 11, 2007, 01:28 AM
So I just migrated to the Xbox version from PC, and i'm having some major slowdown issues. I'm not sure why, but its mainly only when I spin the camera around in any way. If I stand still in a spot and just spin the camera in circles, it slows down sooooo much the entire time I do it. Now I have been playing and going through most levels and I've been fine, but then I started Deserts End(Episode 2 Chapter 2) and thats when the slowdown started anytime I moved the camera. As long as I did NOT move the camera, I could usually play with little to no slowdown...but thats just annoying.

But then randomly, at the end of the mission, it said my disc wasn't readable anymore, and now I can't seem to log back in to the PSU servers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ...but this is besides the fact.

Midicronica
Oct 11, 2007, 01:42 AM
Yep. *sigh* Welcome to 360. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif Not much I can say about the slowdown.. You're just gonna have to get used to it or (don't want to sound rude) not play at all. Hopefully, in the expansion there will be a fix for this.. Auto frameskip or at least frameskip 1..

The disk read error shouldn't happen to often unless there is something wrong with your disk drive or CD. You not being able to access the server, I'll assume is the interrupt request giving you a run for your money. Unless it's saying something about "maintenance" or "wait 10 minutes to log in" just keep at it. AND DON'T HIT RETRY!

Achaiah191
Oct 11, 2007, 01:45 AM
Wow, well thats kinda shitty. PC/PS2 plays great, but there's no one to play with. Play XBOX 360 and deal with horrendous slow down. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Midicronica
Oct 11, 2007, 01:46 AM
Well, I wouldn't call it horrendous.. >_>; It's really only bad in certain areas.

Pulpy
Oct 11, 2007, 02:11 AM
Well I play on the 360 and I don't get slow down unless I goggle a tree and break it. That's about the only time.

Carlo210
Oct 11, 2007, 02:43 AM
I don't get any slowdown.

Zarbolord
Oct 11, 2007, 02:59 AM
I prefer pc http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
atleast if its lagging you know what it is http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Garnet_Moon
Oct 11, 2007, 05:38 AM
The people playing on 360 and say they get no slowdown are the biggest liars on the planet.

Even with the volume turned to zero, the lag is still horrendous. Yes, horrendous. For a game on a Next Gen console, the amount of slowdown it has, is horrendous. Port or not. Hell, even Sonic the Hedgehog's slowdown isn't as bad as PSU's, and there are many unplayable parts to that game as a direct result of the slowdown.

360 has the worst slowdown, but the highest population.
PS2 has considerably less slowdown than the 360, but has crap for a population.
PC has zero slowdown, but like PS2, has shit for a population.

It's a trade off. Well, unless you're on the JP server on a PC.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-10-11 03:39 ]</font>

amtalx
Oct 11, 2007, 06:36 AM
On 2007-10-11 03:38, Garnet_Moon wrote:
The people playing on 360 and say they get no slowdown are the biggest liars on the planet.

Even though it shouldn't be the case, each console is different. I had chronic problems with my previous 360 that I have never seen once with my newest one.

CelestialBlade
Oct 11, 2007, 06:38 AM
PS2 has less slowdown than the 360? That's interesting.

Is this one of the factors in the PC/PS2 population slowly growing?

pikachief
Oct 11, 2007, 06:51 AM
i have no slow down for my 360. I have seen more slowdown onn my PC version than my 360 XD

especially the JP version because of all the please.

so yea i see no slowdown on my 360 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif unless everyones all doing a very flashy PA all together all at once... but when that happenes my game just freezes XD

bloodflowers
Oct 11, 2007, 07:16 AM
Stop saying you don't have slowdown on the 360.

EVERY PLAYER ON THE 360 GETS PLENTY OF SLOWDOWN.
EVERY SINGLE ONE.
*EVERYONE*.

The difference? Some people just can't tell until it's really over the top. Some people confuse lag and slowdown, which are two entirely different things. It drops the odd frame all the time, even solo with no enemies with some areas. As soon as you've got a full party and monsters it's stuttering all over the place. Have lots of big PAs firing and it starts to really crawl.

Slowdown on the 360 rev is so bad that solo vs 5 Koltova with a shotgun suffers a tiny burst every time the shots land. For bonus lulz if you aim the camera at the floor, the effect is reduced. Yes, that's right - you can raise your DPS by looking at the floor as much as possible.

And yes it's shocking, but I don't see it getting fixed by AoI as it's a fairly fundamental flaw, the end result of a quick n dirty port, it's probably not even using 2/3 of the CPU cores on a 360, let alone using the graphics hardware effectively.

pikachief
Oct 11, 2007, 07:19 AM
ok then i dont ever notice my slowdown at all..... that better? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Rizen
Oct 11, 2007, 07:27 AM
When I played on the 360, I had very very very little slowdowns regardless of areas. I think there were maybe one or two places where I had a slight slow down but meh, I must have been lucky.

Orin654
Oct 11, 2007, 07:29 AM
Ive tried the PC and Xbox 360 version, and the slowdown kills it for me in the xbox version. If you play alone its fine, but with a full party its pretty bad. Want to know the worst part , When we get those special missions where every second counts, the clock wont wait on you.

amtalx
Oct 11, 2007, 07:29 AM
Of course I have slowdown, I just don't have ZOMG#!LOLOLZ1 slowdown like some people are saying. And I know that slowdown from one console to the next can be different for a fact because I have two 360s.

bloodflowers
Oct 11, 2007, 08:32 AM
On 2007-10-11 05:29, Orin654 wrote:
Ive tried the PC and Xbox 360 version, and the slowdown kills it for me in the xbox version. If you play alone its fine, but with a full party its pretty bad. Want to know the worst part , When we get those special missions where every second counts, the clock wont wait on you.

Yup, just like it was in Firebreak. Some of us started running Firebreak in swimsuits because it reduced the slowdown (20 seconds removed from an 8 minute run...), and aura units (which contribute greatly) were outlawed.

It seems to be worse on widescreen aspects - I have two 360s and I think the one running on a widescreen SDTV is suffering very slightly more (compared to the other on a 4:3 monitor with VGA). I've had 4 360s through the lifetime of this game, the only variance I've seen not caused by a genuine fault, is comparing 16:9 to 4:3.

I really wish they'd fix it. I don't mind too much the general frame rate drops when things aren't hugely busy (although again, even that costs you time), but it's like matrix bullet time on occasions, and that's just not cool.

beatrixkiddo
Oct 11, 2007, 08:37 AM
All they'd need to do in AoI is default the 360 version to frameskip1, or at least allow you to choose a frameskip.

amtalx
Oct 11, 2007, 09:22 AM
If I can play an 8 player Slayer game in Halo 3 with nothing but rockets without slowdown. I should be able to play a relatively slow paced MORPG without slowdown too. ST just sucks...

Vitamin_D
Oct 11, 2007, 09:36 AM
It baffles me to think the 360 version has the same slow down problems as the PS2 version. The PS2 version has driven me INSANE with the slowdown. I truly hope that AoI resolves the issues with the console versions. =/

KaffeKane
Oct 11, 2007, 10:02 AM
And to think that I was tempted to try the 360 version...

Soulvayne
Oct 11, 2007, 10:33 AM
I think some of these "360 has worse slowdown than everything" replies are a crock and blown out of proportion. I've had the occassional slowdown while panning my camera and when 4-5 players are using flashy PA's at the same time, but nothing major. I don't recall hearing people complain much on 360 about bowing when trying to cast spells as they do on the PS2 version. To each their own, you'll get used to whatever version you're playing. I'll have to check out this lower volume= less slowdown; never knew the audio was the causing the graphical processor to chug to a crawl. I spent about 4 hours yesterday shooting Koltovas with a shotgun and wasn't really experiencing any slowdown.

But you just have to remember anything that puts alot of stress on the processor (6 people wearing an aura item. Flashy Pa's) are potentially going to cause some slowdown. I have slowdown on my PC while Playing FFXI in the Promyvion Crags but I don't experience it as much in other areas, its just something I live with.

amtalx
Oct 11, 2007, 10:49 AM
On 2007-10-11 08:02, KaffeKane wrote:
And to think that I was tempted to try the 360 version...

I'd give it a shot. Don't base too much off what other people say. From the looks of things everyone has had different experiences. Besides, if you don't like it, you PC/PS2 friends will have missed you while you were gone, haha.

panzer_unit
Oct 11, 2007, 10:56 AM
Do other consoles suffer from having their weapons unload as bad as PS2? I've been doing Plains Overlord runs the last couple nights and I'll miss entire fights just from Jag popping into his unarmed stance after changing weapons (or randomly while sticking to handgun and saber) and standing around like a tool for a couple minutes.

That might just be my PS2 being crappy? I dunno. ST sucks at programming, they always hit the disc way too frequently. PSO was the same, the console disc drives make all sorts of nightmarish sounds just trying to load character models.

amtalx
Oct 11, 2007, 11:13 AM
On 2007-10-11 08:56, panzer_unit wrote:
Do other consoles suffer from having their weapons unload as bad as PS2? I've been doing Plains Overlord runs the last couple nights and I'll miss entire fights just from Jag popping into his unarmed stance after changing weapons (or randomly while sticking to handgun and saber) and standing around like a tool for a couple minutes.

That might just be my PS2 being crappy? I dunno. ST sucks at programming, they always hit the disc way too frequently. PSO was the same, the console disc drives make all sorts of nightmarish sounds just trying to load character models.

It only happens to me (360) when I'm in a game with extraordinary lag. Even then, it doens't happen very often...very annoying though.

Vitamin_D
Oct 11, 2007, 11:14 AM
On 2007-10-11 08:56, panzer_unit wrote:

Naw man, that happens to me too haha. It's incredibly annoying (and embarrassing) when you can't attack at all because of it, thus sometimes even missing some exp. ST needs to man up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vitamin_D on 2007-10-11 09:15 ]</font>

watashiwa
Oct 11, 2007, 11:19 AM
I've played both the 360 version, PS2 version (although offline only) and the PC version.

It's really true, the 360 version suffers from some pretty bad slowdown. If you want to get your first taste almost right away in single player, just go start Chapter 2 of the online story and walk around the desert area with the sand. (The mission with Lou, Laia, and yourself..)

Slow motion city.

I haven't tried the 360 version playing in regular non-widescreen 480i/480p, I've only tried it in 720p widescreen and it was terrible.

I've noted two of the most common parts where the 360 slows down in 720p. When LANDING photon arts on enemies in parties of 3 or more. (The special effects will cause the game to slowdown while they land..)

Also, if your camera is really close to the spawn point of where a batch of monsters appear (like the one room in the Parum Relics just in front of some stairs that go up into a bigger room which after that room has a Photon cube), if the monsters appear directly in front of your camera you'll get crippling slowdown..

Again, only played the 360 version online in 720p and yes, there is a lot of slowdown.

It's really what made me stick to PC after I went PC -> 360 for a split second -> PC.

With the PC version, since I have a decent enough computer, I have zero slowdown running in high res with 0 frameskip. *flex*

chibiLegolas
Oct 11, 2007, 11:40 AM
Wow. This is the first time I"m hearing this on the 360.
So from my understanding....
360 suffers from slow down/frame skipping all the time.
PS2 (NOT PC!) suffers from lag?

I was planning to jump on the 360 soon to run away from PS2's weapon lag (taking too long to load up different weapon types from your pallete). Now I'm hearing reports that 360 has different issues as well?!
Please tell me that the 360 version at least doesn't suffer from weapon lag. It was PS2's weapon lag + lack of voice chat that made me want to switch over to 360. And please tell me voice chat doesn't slow down the game either. It's only the game's music/sound effects that does, right?.... right?!...
I can't live without my voice chat!

And as far as I can remember, the only slow down I've really experienced consistantly on the PS2 are whenever I play Moatoob's Mission counter Bruce runs.
Strangely, HSM doesn't have slow down for me, only Bruce.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2007-10-11 09:47 ]</font>

watashiwa
Oct 11, 2007, 11:49 AM
On 2007-10-11 09:40, chibiLegolas wrote:Please tell me that the 360 version at least doesn't suffer from weapon lag. It was PS2's weapon lag + lack of voice chat that made me want to switch over to 360.

360 version has random framerate problems on just about any stage depending on the number of people you have in the party.

If it's just you and your NPC or a friend, it's usually fine. Any more than that and when PAs or technics start connecting with enemies, you will feel a slight drop in the framerate for a second or two.

If you play like that for awhile, you will eventually stop noticing, but if you switch back to say the PC version, you'll notice how PAs don't affect the slowdown at all. (Should you have a decent computer..)

Also, the 360 version in the desert areas, at least it did when I played Chapter 2 of the online story, will have a constant framerate drop. What makes this framerate drop bad is that there is no such auto frameskip built into PSU, so the action is moving slower than normal the whole time.

I've played in full 6 people parties in the game and I don't remember any sort of weapon lag, though. I was able to change weapons pretty frequently.

I never played a Force on the 360 so I can't say anything as far as technic lag, though. I'd imagine it's mostly fine.

Here's a video of LABS S2 on the 360, and you can clearly see how the action is slower overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiryKPHSQEA

I mean even when he's walking in 3:07 and even through the corridor by herself, it's slow, lol.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2007-10-11 09:52 ]</font>

Zorak000
Oct 11, 2007, 11:56 AM
weapon lag exists, but the most ive had was 1-5 seconds. the worst slowdown missions for me were raffion planes firebreak, HSM, and EP2 CH2. other than that, slowdowns have been only occasional and at most only mildly annoying. most slowdown times I was able to counteract by pointing my camera at the ground and stare at the minimap (set on "baised on camera")

then again, I'v only played on 360 so I might be an "ignorance is bliss" situation

watashiwa
Oct 11, 2007, 12:05 PM
Probably.. that guy has a Desert Terror S2 video too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo9EcfXgZTk

Lolz.

chibiLegolas
Oct 11, 2007, 12:07 PM
Wow. That frame rate really IS noticably jerky compared to PS2. And you can *gasp* scroll within you inventory screen WHILE walking around! (you know, like PSOX days). Woo-hoo!
Good-bye retarded PS2 unusable left analogue controls (in inventory mode). Hello 360!
I'd gladly take lowered frame rate to weapon lag any day.

Thanks for the video link watashiwa.

watashiwa
Oct 11, 2007, 12:11 PM
On 2007-10-11 10:07, chibiLegolas wrote:
I'd gladly take lowered frame rate to weapon lag any day.

The XBox360 one actually runs at a HIGHER frame rate than the PS2.

The 360 version runs at 60fps where as the PS2 version runs at 30fps.

Problem is, the 360 version doesn't run PSU at 60fps that well. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I mean, it DOES run it at 60fps, it's just when certain things happen, rather than skip the drawing of certain frames to keep the action running smooth, it'll just draw the frames as it can and thus things move slower. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sekani
Oct 11, 2007, 12:13 PM
Apparently I experience slowdown a lot less often than most 360 players/ex-players here.

The only time it's really been a problem for me was when running HSM; there's a section in block 3 which chokes HORRIBLY every time. Beyond that the issues have been uncommon. I had no problems during Firebreak, and don't choke much if at all during desert missions. Six-person parties can be a little problematic if there are multiple technic users, but still not much beyond what I'd consider to be a minor annoyance.

By the way I'm running on 720p, since I actually have less slowdown on this resolution than on standard defintion.

watashiwa
Oct 11, 2007, 12:27 PM
On 2007-10-11 10:13, Sekani wrote:
The only time it's really been a problem for me was when running HSM; there's a section in block 3 which chokes HORRIBLY every time.

Well, I never said it CHOKED, it's just that overall, the action runs slower than the PC version of the same game.

The overall speed of the game is affected.

It's not like it's going to cripple you or anything but for people who've played the game at the speed of the PC version with no slowdown, you'll immediately notice how the XBox360 version runs slower overall.

And, like I said, you can eventually get used to it if you keep playing.. but it's not something I'd like to get used to.

I'm sure your game runs just like everybody else's 360 version in the fact that it does run slower than the other versions of PSU.

If you played Labs S2, watch the video up there, was your experience similar? I mean, it's certainly playable, but you just run, attack, and so on slower on the 360 than the other platforms.

It'd be hard to tell "slowdown" on the 360 because it's mostly always slower. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2007-10-11 10:28 ]</font>

Zorak000
Oct 11, 2007, 12:34 PM
can we all agree that there is always a trade-off and no version is worse than the others...

PC has best running speed and can take scteenshots easily
PS2 ppl dont need to upgrade their PC... (err... someone help me out with this one...)
360 has less actual IP lag, a sweet controller, and voice chat (although it is broken in some way about 1/2 the time...) and the largest NA population (can be both a good and bad thing)

so now let's focous on the Positives...

watashiwa
Oct 11, 2007, 12:38 PM
On 2007-10-11 10:34, Zorak000 wrote:
360 has less actual IP lag, a sweet controller, and voice chat (although it is broken in some way about 1/2 the time...) and the largest NA population (can be both a good and bad thing)

I actually hated the fact that you couldn't swap the bumpers for the triggers in the 360 version of PSU.

I hated using the bumpers for my alternate weapon and strafing.

Sekani
Oct 11, 2007, 12:57 PM
On 2007-10-11 10:27, watashiwa wrote:
Well, I never said it CHOKED, it's just that overall, the action runs slower than the PC version of the same game.

The overall speed of the game is affected.

It's not like it's going to cripple you or anything but for people who've played the game at the speed of the PC version with no slowdown, you'll immediately notice how the XBox360 version runs slower overall.

And, like I said, you can eventually get used to it if you keep playing.. but it's not something I'd like to get used to.

I'm sure your game runs just like everybody else's 360 version in the fact that it does run slower than the other versions of PSU.

If you played Labs S2, watch the video up there, was your experience similar? I mean, it's certainly playable, but you just run, attack, and so on slower on the 360 than the other platforms.

It'd be hard to tell "slowdown" on the 360 because it's mostly always slower. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2007-10-11 10:28 ]</font>

I'm not doubting that slowdown exists, or that it's slow compared to the PC version (I haven't spent much time with it, so I probably wouldn't know); just that I haven't had the game-breaking experiences some others in this thread are claiming.

That interrupt request error on the other hand....

Zorak000
Oct 11, 2007, 12:59 PM
On 2007-10-11 10:38, watashiwa wrote:
I actually hated the fact that you couldn't swap the bumpers for the triggers in the 360 version of PSU.

I hated using the bumpers for my alternate weapon and strafing.

well, I wasn't a fan of the bumpers and triggers use for the first few days, but now I cannot imagine it any other way (the LB is oddly more comfertible than the LT would be for strafing and as for RB, I now use "click to swap" and it works like a dream

I have a tendency to always pull the triggers all the way when I use them but the bumpers are always good for a quick tap thusly making the bumpers supiror as they are buttons rather than analog triggers

also I like using the bumpers and triggers for cycleing through my pallet while on the run.

Achaiah191
Oct 12, 2007, 09:21 PM
If i'm in moatoob, the desert areas, the slowdown is horrendous, if I slightly move the camera, it slows down BIG time.

HyperShot-X-
Oct 13, 2007, 04:15 PM
I know the slow down you speak of in the Desert field base lobby on Moatoob where you spin your camera around 360 degrees and the frame rate drops noticibly, and yes it could look a bit ugly sometimes but this "minor" slow down doesn't bother me to the point that hinders the game play experience for me, maybe because i'm used to it and i don't usually spin around camera that much while doing runs. So, it's really no biggie.

Also, the general slow down issue on 360 compared to PC/PS2 as claimed to be, it could be true that the game looks running slower and actually runs slower down to a fraction of sec, but you won't be able to tell how much it is actually slower unless you compare them run side by side. Would a couple of seconds be really such big deal when doing Lab S2 runs in a full party and clearing it for S rank reward in less than 15 min? or HSM, completing mission on time for S rewards? What's the chance of failing that one due to slow down of lets say, 10 seconds the whole mission?, could it be possibly any worse than the chance of failing or not getting S due to a party member fucking it up caused by lets say, lack of timely communication?

Lastly, the interrupt request error since it was brought up, i can log-in on the 2nd try over 90% of the time. If I fail it on the 1st try which i get about half the time, I hit my Live blade right away bring up my buddies list on PSU and 'Join session in progress', Bamm !! - works everytime in 2 sec, except of course if you have to log-in as a char on saved location on purpose.

There, now i go play PSU more. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Daremo
Oct 13, 2007, 05:05 PM
I seem to get less slowdown when playing in HD. More when playing in SD. Strange o.O I will say that the framerate is better most of the time on 360 than it was for me on PC. But yes, there are moments of severe graphics lag that make you wonder if they did any work on the graphics engine or just left it the same as what runs on the PC. Some frame dropout options might be nice, but in my case it is not game breaking. It can just be mildly annoying.