PDA

View Full Version : It's a freaking disease. Get over it.

Nai_Calus
Oct 11, 2007, 05:03 AM
I should know better by now than to look at anything related to Asperger's Syndrome, honestly, I really should. (I have it, by the way. If you don't know what it is, google it.)

There's a fucking Autistic Pride Day?

This is one of those retarded things like saying 'Aspies' for people with Asperger's, isn't it?

Damn, some of this shit is hilarious. 'Neurodiversity', my ass. 'different kind of normal', my ass.

Ah, right, probably those people who claim to have Asperger's but have about as many symptoms of Asperger's as I do of having a broken leg. You know, they're good at math and slightly socially awkward, so they think they clearly must have it because it's kewl to have something these days.

You know what I'm sick of? People bragging about how they're 'normal' and there's 'nothing wrong with them'. Then you're either damn near off the Autism spectrum or you're delusional. I'm sorry, there's something wrong with me.

Forming utterly single-minded obsessions with one single narrow topic to the exclusion of all else is not a good thing.

Being unable to make eye contact, understand the mechanisms and reasons for various social things or understand that someone is joking with your or being sarcastic because you can't read their tone from their actual voice or other 'obvious' clues is not a good thing.

Having a large vocabulary that does you no freaking good because you talk in run-on sentences, have no concept that you're going on for seven years and going off on tangents for another five before going back to make another seven year run-on, and generally sound like... Well, like a fucking autistic five year old... Yeah, that's not a fucking good thing. People bitch about me writing paragraphs from hell, using fucking weird over-ornate grammar structures that apparently make no goddamned sense to anyone but me, and generally sounding weird and forced. Yeah, um, this is supposed to be something to celebrate?

Having fucksquat in the way of empathy, being unable to read emotions beyond 'oh, she's crying, she must be sad or something' and 'oh, he's screaming, he's probably mad' and the most obvious of shit, and failing completely at expressing my own fucking feeling isn't a good fricking thing.

Having random little physical and verbal tics that I have no awareness of doing until someone points them out and freaking out at changes in routine isn't a fucking good thing.

Completely failing at trying to live on your own because you cannot manage to even plan out how the hell to feed yourself is not a good thing.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I fucking suffer from my Asperger's, kids. I'm not a 'different kind of normal', I'm fucked up. Though I apparently have at least something over these people since, you know, I REALISE THAT THERE'S SOMETHING BLOODY WRONG WITH ME.

It pisses me off so damned much, though. Especially the comparisons to gay pride. Um, no, there *isn't* anything wrong with gay people. Being gay does not affect your ability to function in society and take care of yourself, for fuck's sake.

Autism pride, autism/asperger's rights, do these people have no fucking clue what the hell they're doing? Apparently not. Gee, yes, please, let's get us all identified as 'normal' so they'll STOP MAKING ACCOMMODATIONS FOR KIDS WITH THIS SHIT. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Let's stop all the support from various organizations for kids and adults with it so they can just figure shit out themselves and be miserable with no chance of help! Great going, idiots.

It's a fucking disease, not something to be proud of and wave a goddamned banner for. What's next, cancer pride? Bipolar pride?

'Acceptance, not cure' my ass. Cure, goddamn it. This shit needs a cure, not people calling it normal and getting rid of support for it. It's already hard enough to find support as it is. Let's not make it freaking worse. -_-

God, this kind of shit really pisses me the hell off. Grr.

Blue-Hawk
Oct 11, 2007, 06:48 AM
Define 'Normal'. You can't. Normal is a word that's no longer aplicable in the modern world. I say this because what's thought of as crazy, insane, disturbing or just plain wrong to some is considered normal to others.

And what's up with the no 'Epileptic Pride Day'? I'm an Epileptic. No one seems to care about THAT neurological disease.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blue-Hawk on 2007-10-11 04:53 ]</font>

amtalx
Oct 11, 2007, 06:58 AM
m'kay

DurakkenX
Oct 11, 2007, 09:10 AM
From my knowledge of abnormal psychology >.> I'm pretty fucked up and noone would call me normal. To my knowledge I don't have any of those diseases so "normal" is a relative term of how well you fit into regular society, not really how your mind works.

If you watch the show Dexter, that serial killer would be considered more normal than many gamers so yeah >.>

DizzyDi
Oct 11, 2007, 09:44 AM
On 2007-10-11 04:48, Blue-Hawk wrote:
Define 'Normal'. You can't. Normal is a word that's no longer aplicable in the modern world. I say this because what's thought of as crazy, insane, disturbing or just plain wrong to some is considered normal to others.

And what's up with the no 'Epileptic Pride Day'? I'm an Epileptic. No one seems to care about THAT neurological disease.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blue-Hawk on 2007-10-11 04:53 ]</font>

I think you completely missed the point.

On 2007-10-11 04:58, amtalx wrote:
m'kay

Please don't reply if you don't have anything to add to the topic.

Durraken is right about what is considered normal. Whatever fits into the masses' perception of what a personal should be/do/is. Go to school, get average grades, get in trouble every now and then, hate vegetables, play video games and sports; these are all things that are considered normal for an adolescence. Not being able to read emotions, function on your own, and all the other symptoms of AS or any other form of Autism is NOT considered normal. S'why is called a disease.
I don't suffer from any disease other than some pretty bad eye sight but I sympathize with you Ian.

amtalx
Oct 11, 2007, 10:45 AM
On 2007-10-11 07:44, DizzyDi wrote:

m'kay

I thought that rather succinctly illustrated my disdain for this topic...

Shadowpawn
Oct 11, 2007, 12:11 PM
On 2007-10-11 08:45, amtalx wrote:

On 2007-10-11 07:44, DizzyDi wrote:

m'kay

I thought that rather succinctly illustrated my disdain for this topic...

So you're a borderline troll then? See how that sentence illustrated my disdain for your statement and added nothing to this topic? Don't make a statement that's likely to spark a argument. If you want to show your distaste for this topic known then please do so in manner that is both intelligible and respectable. (Normally that involves a rebuttal that's a paragraph long.)

Let's not get this topic locked.

Blitzkommando
Oct 11, 2007, 05:40 PM
Personally I don't see why people have 'pride days' anyway. There's a reason vanity/pride was one of the seven deadly sins. I mean, sure, being proud of your child for making a pretty picture, or you getting into the job you want, or even your team winning the game is normal. But going around flying banners and screaming to the world about having a problem, and being proud of it, goes to fanaticism. Fanaticism only leads to problems and conflicts. You don't go around bragging you have syphilis or prostate cancer, so why do AIDS and Asperger's get pride marches? I genuinely would like to hear why someone would brag about something that makes their life miserable or will very well end up ending their life.

I'm also horribly socially awkward. I'm terribly quiet and shy, and frankly I get chlostrophobic around groups of people, sometimes not even large groups. Add to this that I am extremely perceptive of other's emotions and it makes for a horrible experience going out in malls or other public places, and especially in crowds. That is NOT something I am proud of and is not something I brag about. As a matter of fact, it really frustrates me and just makes me even more uncomfortable. It is not fun trying to talk to someone and seeing that they are not in the mood to converse and are just putting on a show to try and hide how they really feel. Most people are terrible at faking emotions, but probably just as many are bad at perceiving them. Myself, I have this ability to see through (or even hear through) what people feel and it is just as bad as not knowing what they are feeling.

If you want a 'pride day' for disease then why not do a 'cancer survivor pride day'? Afterall, if I were to survive cancer I sure as hell would be happy about that, if not a little prideful. The thing to be proud of is not having the diseases, but curing them or being cured of them. Afterall, a disease by definition is something that is wrong and not normal and shouldn't have been had in the first place.

Otis_Kat
Oct 11, 2007, 05:53 PM
The psycho doctors said I have Asberger's, but I never really saw myself as having all the major symptoms. The only one I can understand is the social awkwardness. Not to say I have little or no friends, I do. I just...don't say anything if I have nothing to say. I'm clearcut with no bullshit or filler. That's the reason I have trouble writing required words/page essays, I make all my points out front and that's it.

McLaughlin
Oct 11, 2007, 06:07 PM
I suck at talking to people. I stutter. A lot. You can ask anyone I play on Live with. School presentations? It takes me five goddamn minutes to spit out my name. When I have to read off a sheet, I need to take a pen up with me so I can strike out what little I manage to say, so that when I stutter, and start making gestures to detract from my stuttering, I can find out where I was, without wasting even more time. I don't go around saying I'm "normal" or downplay it. I hate that part of my personality. This is NOT something to brag about.

I'm incredibly shy. This not only compounds with my stuttering, but I can't even look people in the eyes when I'm stuttering/talking. I walk around looking at my feet because I fear that if I make eye contact with someone I know, they'll want to converse with me. Then I'll start stuttering, and then I get those looks. At least if I keep my head down, they might think I don't want to be spoken to. Which I don't. Because I stutter, and it kills me.

I'm also very receptive to peoples' emotions, like Norvekh. When I do work up the courage (and I do mean work up) to talk to someone, it sucks to hear them tell me to bug off by saying "Hello." But then they feel obligated to talk to me, and then I break eye contact because I START FUCKING STUTTERING. Then I get that look again, and then I get berated, which only proves they were pissed off to begin with.

When I write, I'm blunt. I hate trying to fluff out my point with rhetorical devices and diction that looks forced and reflects poorly on my writing ability. Guess what, it IS forced. Let me make my point and be done with it. Here's my point, there's my proof. Don't make me use an anecdote or parallel sentence structure because you think it helps me persuade people. It doesn't, and I don't need help making my point. As I'm typing I'm trying to write a 500 word essay on why a University should accept me over the other applicants. I need to establish Ethos on a topic I have no experience with. I have to develop Logos with no point to argue other than "pick me over all the other applicants with better grades." This assignment blows.

I hate this part of me. I don't brag about things that make my life harder. Celebrate when you find a cure. Don't celebrate not having one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-10-11 16:14 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Oct 11, 2007, 06:39 PM
I'm supposed to have ADHD.

PITY ME.

DurakkenX
Oct 11, 2007, 07:01 PM
You know it's "normal" to have some psychological issue that hasn't been diagnosed because people put so little on mental health that most don't even bother unless they are order to or have a severe enough issue that they can't deny they need help.

I wanted to say this earlier but I forgot...those with AS comparing it to being gay is as dumb as gays comparing themselves to blacks.

And as far as pride marches...I say lets have Fucktard March then all of them can march together!

Uncle_bob
Oct 12, 2007, 03:11 AM
FUCKING THANK YOU. :>

Eihwaz
Oct 12, 2007, 03:52 AM
amtalx, if you have nothing but disdain for this topic, please don't feel the need to spam it up with your insipid posts. If you really don't care for something, then don't post. Easy, no?

Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree that anyone who "celebrates" having a disease and going for "acceptance not a cure" is taking several large step backwards. I mean, hey, never mind all the people who dislike having major social problems, fuck them! Let's all be proud of being so god damn arrogant that we think having a disorder is awesome!

Yeah, no. Stuff like this pisses me off a lot. :B

imfanboy
Oct 13, 2007, 03:41 AM
the South Park episode in the second season entitled Conjoined Fetus Lady just about sums up my attitude towards this garbage.

What's funny is that for me, it comes and it goes - some times I'm up on a normal level, other days I dip down to a point where I can barely function at all. It's almost as though there's a part of my brain that needs to 'warm up' first, like an engine, before I can do things like a regular person, like hold a conversation.

It's really been hitting me hard, lately; when someone gets angry nearby I flinch away, I can't tell if someone's joking or not, I'll restart conversations that had ended hours or even DAYS ago, I had to stop myself from giving a long, long speech about the doujinshi market yesterday... it gets worse when I'm depressed, and lately I've been seriously, seriously depressed.

Damn. Where are my kittens? I need to pet one. *goes hunting in the dark recesses of his room*

imfanboy
Oct 13, 2007, 03:54 AM
Boo. They rejected me to go play with each other. Oh well, at least they're cute to watch... when they aren't piddling in my blankets.

KaFKa
Oct 13, 2007, 04:51 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with Ian.

Why dont we have serial killer's pride day? Thats another 'neurolocigal difference'

I know, extreme comparison, but like many other's, it gets the point across. Instead of trying to make something like Asperger's an accepted norm, why not work to find cures, like alzhimer's.

Sord
Oct 15, 2007, 11:47 PM
heh, what's worse (at least when I see it) then all this mental illness pride stuff, is when you see two guys saying they have this and that, and they keep adding to it like it's some damn competition. Not just genuinely listing off what they have, but actualy bragging about it and making it seem like who has the most.

Person #1"I have ADHD"
Person #2"Yeah, I have that, I'm also bi-polar"
Person #1"I'm obssesive compulsive as well"
Person #2"I'm anti-social" yet you're carrying on this convo, dumbass
Person #1"Well, I get anxiety attacks"
etc.

I mean, god, what is this, a pity fest or something? You think you're tough because you live with a few minor symptoms attributed to mental illnesses? That a few more very minor mental disorders despite being relatively normal gives you bragging rights? FUCK NO.

My foster brother stuttered all the time and could barely read and had trouble interacting with people he didn't know well. My two half brothers suffer from severe autism, leading to retardation, lack of motor and gross motor skills, no reading whatsoever despite being 8, they're over-sized, vulgar, frustrated easily, OCD, asthmatic, etc. About the only good things they can do is certain forms of mimicry and counting beats on sheet music (though they don't understand notes) While I get really annoyed with them sometimes (to the point of quite literally wanting to beat the life out of them,) even I have to step back every now and then and go "Shit, at least I'm not them."

You don't have jack shit to brag about mental disorders, unless you've really suffered from it and truly overcome it somehow. If you're still stuck in it, you should be trying to overcome it, not bragging about it like you accepted there's no cure and are just living with it. Even if it is overcome, then the pride is can still be annoying half the time.

I have my own problems, landed my ass in pychiatric wards 3 times now, but I don't go around bragging about it. People need to get their fucking priorities straight.

mental disorder =/= bragging rights

Solstis
Oct 16, 2007, 12:08 AM
But, but, but, Mr. Sord, I technically fall within the vague and ultra-broad autism spectrum. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Oh man, college students love doing this crap (me inlcuded, I know, my bad). Pretty much everyone has a disorder (some form of Sensory Integration Dysfunction, OCD, blah blah), which makes it totally blasé unless you have one of the more serious ones.

At least there's a lot less bragging about how many times you got laid (or maybe I just ignore those people).

BlaizeYES
Oct 16, 2007, 11:03 AM
lol. well you'll find the main cause of developing "mental disorders" is when you allow yourself to be consumed by them and stay in isolation. if you dont interact with people at all, you will normally get worse. mostly with depression, anxiety, etc...

for instance, being on the computer right now is making it worse as we speak

Mutt12
Oct 23, 2007, 07:22 PM
Okay... what the hell? People celebrating their mental illnesses? I have GAD and freaking hate it. I'd be a hell of a lot happier without it.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who happens to be deaf. Her parents (who are also deaf and adopted her and a bunch of other deaf children) celebrate it like it's whole ethnicity or something. To her, though, she felt she's been missing out on a whole spectrum of communication, so she gets a cochlear implant. What do her parents do? Disown her and withdraw all her college funding.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mutt12 on 2007-10-23 17:31 ]</font>

Ryno
Oct 27, 2007, 06:07 PM
On 2007-10-11 04:48, Blue-Hawk wrote:

HEY I care about it! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I was born with epilepsy!

no joke!

what casuses me to have seizures.. well

I also have another desiese calles tuberousclorosis which are minor tumors..

they are located in my brain, heart, and kidneys

every year I would always do Ultra sound of the kidney, MRI, Echo Of The Heart.. To see If it functions well..

The last time I had a seizure was maybe 5 days ago at least..

but it doesn't happend that aften because i take medication called stratera, topamax, and lamictal..

Every month or two I would always see a nuerologist just to check up...

I might even do surgery on my brain just to get the tumors out.. but there is also a risk.. thats what im afraid of...

The part that also suck is that i cant drive... that last time i was driving a car was mybe 5 years ago.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

wow.. this is one of the longest post i have ever wrote on pso-world!
even tho it may be short to you.. but it's long to me..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryno on 2007-10-27 16:09 ]</font>

BlaizeYES
Oct 30, 2007, 03:52 PM
On 2007-10-13 01:41, imfanboy wrote:

What's funny is that for me, it comes and it goes - some times I'm up on a normal level, other days I dip down to a point where I can barely function at all. It's almost as though there's a part of my brain that needs to 'warm up' first, like an engine, before I can do things like a regular person, like hold a conversation.

It's really been hitting me hard, lately; when someone gets angry nearby I flinch away, I can't tell if someone's joking or not, I'll restart conversations that had ended hours or even DAYS ago, I had to stop myself from giving a long, long speech about the doujinshi market yesterday... it gets worse when I'm depressed, and lately I've been seriously, seriously depressed.

lol. you probably need to get "warmed up" to do things if you usually dont talk very much primarily in the morning. i'm not a morning person at all, everyone at works knows in the first hour of work, its basically pointless to try to have a conversation with me. its only around 10 or 11 that i get into my normal behavior. before then, i will just be sitting there, barely accomplishing anything, and just having my brain catch up from the lack of sleep. then i am full of energy after adjusting, which usually takes an hour and a half to two hours.

you probably have anxiety, which is why you flinch away whenever someone gets angry. i know a guy like that too. and it may actually be your conversation problem... you're thinking way too much on what to say, and when you feel comfortable you'll start a conversation. and if you try to constantly avoid angry people, you're not going to help your problem. allow yourself to get exposed to anger on a normal basis. my old boss was like that last year with always getting heated. you'd be sitting at your desk and then suddenly you would hear the sound of a trash can being kicked into the wall, followed by screaming. it gets to the point where yelling doesnt even phase you, especially if you're getting yelled at from 6 inches away.

just remember that escapism usually leads to depression

TetsuyaHikari
Oct 31, 2007, 12:46 AM
Okay..here goes.

So yeah, I'm autistic as well. I "suffer" from Asperger's syndrome as well. I don't believe it's a good thing to have a particular day dedicated to "celebrating" something such as this.

It's like AIDS Day and Breast Cancer Day. Why do people think it's right to devote a single day of their lives to try and help this or throw what SEEMS to look like a fucking (excuse the French) party about it, instead of just trying to figure out how to cure it EVERY day. Why does one day stand out more than others when trying to find a cure for those diseases?

I don't quite understand it, but..I'm also not good with making eye contact either. A lot of people I've run into think I'm disrespecting them, which is annoying. It would be like me saying, "Oh! You're supposed to be slumped over in the chair when speaking to me! Are you disrespecting me?!". I don't know why people automatically think you're disrespecting them if you don't follow a particular habit that others do (making eye contact).

Also, I don't really have a problem speaking to people, but most of the time, I just choose not to, cause I'm shy around people I've never met before. APPARENTLY that's a problem. I was given a speech from one of my family members about saying, "Good morning" to someone I've never met before.

I eventually just, "What's the problem?! I don't even know the person! I don't even hardly say, "Good morning" to my close friends, much less, a stranger!". There are so many things that aren't socially accepted by people with autism. Most of the things autistic people do are considered "weird" or a "problem".

However..I don't believe autism is a disease. A disease is something we can generally find a vaccine for. We can't discover a cure for autism though. It's a psychological problem. It's not something which can be cured by surgery or giving us some sort of shot. Psychological problems can only be handled through therapy.

Now to be fair, there are medications that can be prescribed to ease the effects, but there's not something which can fully cure something such as this, because it's within our mind. It's something we have to overcome. There are some things in this world that can't just simply be cured, this is one of them.

Now I may be wrong about the whole, "this can't be cured" bit, but with most psychological disorders, the only thing that can be done is going through multiple sessions of therapy. There's never a complete fix to it. I've been seeing a psychologist for seven, almost eight years now, and guess what..I've still got autism, lol.

It's just something that you yourself will figure out how to cure, by forcing yourself to make eye contact and break away from your habits or live the rest of your life with what you currently do and find accomodations that will support your lifestyle instead of go against it.

Anyway, I think that has pretty much covered everything on how I feel towards the matter.

Interesting discussion, since I can actually relate to it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

BlaizeYES
Oct 31, 2007, 11:32 AM
on a side note, what was wrong with christopher lloyd in the movie "one flew over the coocoo's nest?" i never really could figure that out. but i love his reaction to seeing the native american run into the sunset after breaking the window

ThEoRy
Nov 7, 2007, 01:31 PM
Having struggled with manic depressive bi polar disorder for most of my life has not been easy. When I was a younger I knew that I was different from the other kids. It can be pretty hard on you especially when you don't know why these things are happening to you. One minute you're on top of the world, the life of the party, the most exciting, happy, charming, funny person to be around. The next minute though the weight of the world is on your shoulders. You just wanna be left alone to suffer in a world of dark thoughts and deep depression. My friends always thought I was great because I was so eccentric. "Rick's crazy, hes fun to be around, he's like a different person everyday." Little did they know the profound darkness and deeply disturbing emotional roller coaster I was riding on the inside because I never let it show. During these times I questioned myself and sought professional help. I was told that through medications I could achieve a normal life. Having heard this I then did some research on the word normal and what it's true meaning was. One of the definitions I came across read as follows. normal: consisting of average or adequate intelligence. Then I said to myself, "average?, adequate? Who the fuck wants to be that!" I didn't wanna lose my keen edge. My sharp wit. My eccentricities. Myself if you will. So I struggled through it without any meds and eventually realized happiness in life. I guess what I'm trying to say is, having these diseases or afflictions is nothing to be proud of. Fighting through them and conquering them however is.