PDA

View Full Version : AotI: Character Voices: Want them or leave them out?

Rizen
Oct 12, 2007, 10:52 AM
I know alot of people say "Its better to have no voices because English voice acting sucks." This may be true, but having voices to your character actually makes the game seem a bit more livelier, for me at least. Playing the JP version of PSU again reminded me of why I liked to play it. It helps makes your characters have a bit of personality and distinguishing the tone between person to person.

Its also pretty funny to spam voice clips over and over again with friends http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

One thing that kinda annoys me in the US is when you level up, dying, getting revived, or other actions that have you character say something, its just grunts. Personally, I would rather nothing be heard instead of hearing grunts all the time.

Also, I would like to have voices in for the sake of completeness. Many people who play the PC/PS2 and Xbox360 version realized that the PC version has ALOT of missing sound effects for what ever reason. Best example of this is when Onmagoug using his Lightning attack. On PC, you barely hear anything at all. On Xbox360, you will hear a loud thundering roar before it is released. Why isn't it the same? No clue. Probably the laziness of looking over details.

So whats your take on it?

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 12, 2007, 11:11 AM
Words cannot express how much better grunts are than voice clips.

Cavarcous
Oct 12, 2007, 11:16 AM
When I first got ahold of the PSU beta last year and heard the voices, I was really excited. Then when we actually got the game... I was dissapointed. I mean, they could at least give us the option to keep was was originally in the game, like Soul Calibur III, for example... you can choose Japanese or English.

Oh wait, this is Sega of America we're talking about... :/

omegapirate2k
Oct 12, 2007, 11:19 AM
The last thing I want is my character screaming "HYAAAAH TAKE THIS!!" whenever I use a fucking PA. If they put them in, they'd have to greatly (and I mean greatly) tone down the amount of times they play voice clips and still play the grunts most of the time for me not to get annoyed by it.

DAMASCUS
Oct 12, 2007, 11:21 AM
You spoke of repeatedly doing voices for fun? Can you imagine what spamming in the lobbies would be like then? I think ST did the grunts for our own protection.

Rizen
Oct 12, 2007, 11:24 AM
On 2007-10-12 09:21, DAMASCUS wrote:
You spoke of repeatedly doing voices for fun? Can you imagine what spamming in the lobbies would be like then? I think ST did the grunts for our own protection.
It can only be heard in games. Oh, also if you are in your room or in a formed party.

On 2007-10-12 09:19, omegapirate2k wrote:
The last thing I want is my character screaming "HYAAAAH TAKE THIS!!" whenever I use a fucking PA. If they put them in, they'd have to greatly (and I mean greatly) tone down the amount of times they play voice clips and still play the grunts most of the time for me not to get annoyed by it.

I'm pretty sure that characters don't yell anything when they use PAs except very few (maybe on last hits on PA combos). But just like when using a spell, characters use different sound clips.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizen on 2007-10-12 09:30 ]</font>

CelestialBlade
Oct 12, 2007, 11:30 AM
Voices in cutscenes only. In battle, I want battle cries and grunts.

Chibi_psu
Oct 12, 2007, 11:33 AM
The hell with the grunts.Im playing aoi offline and japanese char grunts too BUT say some words too.It would be nice to see that in us

amtalx
Oct 12, 2007, 11:34 AM
Thank god I'm a ranger. I didn't even know my Cast had a voice for AGES. I do use a Spear on occasion now though. I think talking during battle moves would be incredibly annoying. The last thing I want is a cacophony of "Yessssss!" and "Bring it on!" when fighters spam PAs. That would drive me f*cking nuts.

Neith
Oct 12, 2007, 11:35 AM
The only time I'd consider wanting a voice is for Nanoblast/SUV activation. I don't think I could put up with full-blown voices n regular combat. Well, not if the voices are as bad as the Story Mode ones. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

What I do wish is that you could use the sounds you can do in your room in combat- for example, my Cast has a meniacal laugh, but she can only do that in her room, which is kinda annoying. I want her to laugh before she SUV's some poor mob to death http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Rizen
Oct 12, 2007, 11:38 AM
Okay, for all of you who keep saying that voices are going to be heard every single second, watch this clip I made.

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc299/RizenAoI/Video/?action=view&current=c911b718.flv

How many times do you actually hear my character say something? I'm pretty sure the only one you hear is Lumia when they are using Technics when Laia once in a while during PA combo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizen on 2007-10-12 09:40 ]</font>

Kylie
Oct 12, 2007, 11:49 AM
Eh, it might be cool if it was in Japanese, but I have a feeling that it would just be lame if it was in English. Like one of those anime games, where they say the same thing each time they use their special move. *shakes head*

Cz
Oct 12, 2007, 12:05 PM
they shouldnt removed voices, but they do needed to add in more than just "arrrhhh" "nyaaa" "ehhhhyaaaa" >.>'

XDeathX
Oct 12, 2007, 12:06 PM
This reminds me of Street Fighter and Dragonball Z.

F-Gattaca
Oct 12, 2007, 12:15 PM
On 2007-09-27 12:52, F-Gattaca wrote:

I kinda prefer the grunts to actual phrases as well.

You know how the recent Tales games and how everyone in a battle--and I mean everyone--talks nonstop no matter what's going on? All at the same time? Yeeeaaah.

For me, the grunts are more realistic--wait, not a good word for Phantasy Star ... um, immersive! That's the word I was looking for. Grunts are more immersive.

Though, I wouldn't mind spoken phrases as long as they were sparsely used by the game itself--as in, your character would only say them during a specific situation, rather than with every weapon swing and blow taken. Kind of like the NPC text phrases.

EDIT: Oh, and to add to that ...

No, I don't think having Japanese-only voices would make it any better than if the phrases were spoken by English VAs. I understand the principle of "hearing things not in a language you understand makes it cooler by default," but even then the gabbering would drive me nuts.

I was actually thinking of the Japanese version of the Tales of series when I wrote the above post a while back; battles might as well have been singles bars the way they sounded to the ear.

I rather like our version of character voices anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-10-12 10:19 ]</font>

beatrixkiddo
Oct 12, 2007, 12:19 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mYtmVFHKDRc

Kylie
Oct 12, 2007, 12:34 PM
On 2007-10-12 10:19, beatrixkiddo wrote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mYtmVFHKDRc

I know that's Miraglyth, but I thought it said Sephiroth for a moment there...

Xaeris
Oct 12, 2007, 12:46 PM
What's with the hate for voice clips? Are you all unfamiliar with the awesomeness of "Lightning Blade! Super Lightning Blade!"

Neflite
Oct 12, 2007, 02:02 PM
god i hate us voices. can my chara just please say thank you she gets raised. they are so random many have room voice which are words that could have worked in battle voice that are room only u.u. can leave out the "hows this" or "let's do it" every time i cast or attack but at least have like SUV/Nano death, raise, low life, maybe status affcts have voice words spoken.

Tsundere
Oct 12, 2007, 02:10 PM
They should give us the option of whether we want voices or not (and what language we want them spoken in). Much like how PSO gave us a similar option of being being to choose our language in the options menu.

Sasamichan
Oct 12, 2007, 02:14 PM
English VA please. If I wanted the Japanese VA, I would of imorted the JP version.

-Tidus_415-
Oct 12, 2007, 02:46 PM
On 2007-10-12 12:14, Sasamichan wrote:
English VA please. If I wanted the Japanese VA, I would of imorted the JP version.

Exactly.

The JP VA is horrible anyway. I made a female beast and everytime I nanoblasted she mumbled something in japanese in a stupid boring tone...At least in english they scream like they are ready to rip shit apart.

Also...The story mode VA suck too. Lou and Magashi don't even sound like robots and Magashi doesnt even sound badass. In the english one they have that lil nice effect that makes them at least sound robotic.

February
Oct 12, 2007, 02:53 PM
I liked the voices being done like that in the JP version, I would be all for it on the US version. ."

-Ryuki-
Oct 12, 2007, 03:02 PM
JP voices, please. I found a voice that matches Ryuki more than the English voices we have.

While playing with Rain last night too, it was neat hearing her say "Attack" while casting Foie XD

Uber_Noob
Oct 12, 2007, 03:03 PM
I say voices are good only if they are in Japanese. I remember playing Legend of Legaia and hearing the characters having battle "screams",and thinking how awesome it was.I couldn't have imagined playing that game if the voices were in english.For some reason in most video games Japanese voices are superb. I think that is why the Tales games are such a turn off for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

February
Oct 12, 2007, 03:05 PM
I never understood why it's cool for anime fans to hate US/Canadian voice acting.

Xaeris
Oct 12, 2007, 03:06 PM
Subbies vs. dubbies is a war that's been in progress for longer than some of our playerbase has been alive.

Puppet_Papaya
Oct 12, 2007, 03:11 PM
At least in english they scream like they are ready to rip shit apart.
*Big nod*!!!!
I really like the US grunts and groans. Talking is for us, the players, to do. Not our characters. Besides, Ramona's voice sounds like Heather from Silent Hill 3!

ashley50
Oct 12, 2007, 03:11 PM
Grunts are boring...there's no character on teh US voices.
It shows how JP put EFFORT even into voices unlike its US conterpart.

Uber_Noob
Oct 12, 2007, 03:12 PM
On 2007-10-12 13:05, February wrote:
I never understood why it's cool for anime fans to hate US/Canadian voice acting.

I don't hate english voice acting,most of it is poorly done. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Only with a few execptions.

Xaeris
Oct 12, 2007, 03:17 PM
That's hardly true. Or more accurately, much JP voice acting isn't necessarily of a higher quality than English voice acting. The difference, to the average fan, is the fact that the things that let a listener discern bad voice acting are lost when they're being done in a foreign language.

Now on average, I would say JP voice acting is better than English by simple virtue of voice actors getting better pay and having more competition for roles. But it's hardly the night and day thing subbies make it out to be.

February
Oct 12, 2007, 03:46 PM
On 2007-10-12 13:17, Xaeris wrote:

Now on average, I would say JP voice acting is better than English by simple virtue of voice actors getting better pay and having more competition for roles. But it's hardly the night and day thing subbies make it out to be.

That is an answer I can understand. I find it disheartening because I often consider going in to the voice acting field, and I hear constantly from a lot of Anime fans (Not all) that "American voice actors always suck! lololo" So I really just had to ask why so many feel that way. There is a lot of great US/Canadian based VA's. rant done http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I would like it if we could choose between the languages. Maybe even more than just English and Japanese as well. I could see my Newman characters speaking Japanese, but my beast and human, not so much.

Broodstar1337
Oct 12, 2007, 03:47 PM
On 2007-10-12 13:17, Xaeris wrote:
That's hardly true. Or more accurately, much JP voice acting isn't necessarily of a higher quality than English voice acting. The difference, to the average fan, is the fact that the things that let a listener discern bad voice acting are lost when they're being done in a foreign language.

I really don't know. I've seen my fair share of both Japanese and English voice acting and it seems like the Japanese put more effort into their acting, seeing as if, to my ears anyway, their voice acting routinely matches their character's emotion at the time. Most of the time, English voice acting just doesn't sound like it fits...

I will say this, though. Props to English actors for rarely falling back on goofy-sounding voices.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Broodstar1337 on 2007-10-12 13:48 ]</font>

February
Oct 12, 2007, 03:50 PM
I would think that would be just as much fault to the Voice directors as it would to anyone else. Cam Clarke, Tara Strong etc can all act their asses off. I think maybe cheaper lesser known VA's that do anime adaptions might be the issue here.

Xaeris
Oct 12, 2007, 04:00 PM
The thing about putting emotion into voices is that emotion can easily be the very thing that makes a voice sound awkward when combined with the subtleties of language that can only be picked up on by someone with at least a rudimentary understanding of the language. Without that understanding, it doesn't matter how improperly the stress of emotion is placed (I'LL kill you vs I'll KILL you), so long as it's there.

The truth of the matter is that there's plenty of crap seiyuus in anime; it just gets to slide because the judges on this side of the Pacific don't have ears tuned to hear the flaws. Of course, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that all VAs are just splendid; Wendee Lee slowly murders Yoruichi with each passing episode.

DrEngrish
Oct 12, 2007, 04:26 PM
Regardless of how well the voice acting is done, by having grunting / battle cries, doesnt it make the game a little more internationally conscious? The Japanese server was made for people in Japan, thus it has full Japaneses VA. However our server has people from all other parts of the world. [ As far as I know Europe does not have its own server. ]

I think it would be pretty neat if they had good quality English VA, but would someone from France or Germany think so too? It could be that Sega made it this way so the game could be more adaptable to an international audience. And in the end, would we quit PSU either way?

Thats my 2 cents...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrEngrish on 2007-10-12 14:29 ]</font>

Rizen
Oct 12, 2007, 04:32 PM
Well, for those countries who don't speak english, they could do voice acting in their own language. It would be possible to do so since their client is in their own language and isn't in English. Although, I can't say either or not they left Offline Story VA in english or not.

I know it sounds a bit like "its their own fault" if they don't dub it in their language but its a thought.

tei
Oct 12, 2007, 04:39 PM
Oh god, I would -hate- if they added that.. I'm of the total opposite opinion of the topic creator, it would make the game much less lively for me. The 'grunting' voices are already restrictive enough, even grunts and battle cries convey a little of what kind of emotion and personality the characters have, (like the female voice that does that evil laugh and "nya-hah" with every spell or when she gains the upper hand..) and that's bad enough to force on create-a-characters when you're only giving them 10 or so voice-sets to choose from and no option to record your own... Getting 10-12 forced phrases that your charrie is going to utter out 300 times per mission, (and that at LEAST 1/10th of all other player-characters will be identically saying) would make the characters seem like drones...

F-Gattaca
Oct 12, 2007, 04:42 PM
On 2007-10-12 13:05, February wrote:

On 2007-10-12 13:06, Xaeris wrote:
Subbies vs. dubbies is a war that's been in progress for longer than some of our playerbase has been alive.

Well, you saw it in a nutshell a few posts later--people like that think the dub VAs are inherently terrible.

I beg to differ; while there may be some dub efforts I find poor, I've witnessed others that were excellent, and often find myself liking the dubbed version over the original Japanese. There's many reasons for the varying quality in dubs; I think some of it would have to do with how well the VAs are directed, not just the skill of the VAs themselves.

For example, Yuri Lowenthal (sp?). People will recognize him as the dub VA for Sasuke Uchiha in Naruto. However, he also was the voice talent (and actor!) for Larry "Solo Wing Pixy" Foulke in Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War, and over here in the 'States he was part of the Halo ALG, Haunted Apiary, as Coral colonist Kamal Zaman (sp?). If you ever get the chance, listen to how he sounds in all three roles. There's a noticable difference. Personally I think he was his best in Haunted Apiary ...

This goes for the original productions too, or as Xaeris put it ...

On 2007-10-12 14:00, Xaeris wrote:
The truth of the matter is that there's plenty of crap seiyuus in anime; it just gets to slide because the judges on this side of the Pacific don't have ears tuned to hear the flaws. Of course, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that all VAs are just splendid; Wendee Lee slowly murders Yoruichi with each passing episode.

It's more of that "foreign languages you don't know inherently sound cooler to you" principle. You see a lot of it there and here. Latin's a good example, too--PSO Ep. 3 had a lot of locations named in Latin. Meanwhile, the Marathon series (precursor to Halo) had quite a few Latin phrases in it, like when the artificial inteligence Durandal destroyed his fellow and rival AI Tycho along with his warship, causing a massive crater on the surface of a moon--and proceeded to carve "Fatum Iustum Stultorum" (The Just Fate of Fools) into the surface of the moon with his own ship's weapons.

(I sure do bring up Halo related stuff a lot, don't I? Well, I really liked Marathon ... )

Anyway ... sometimes this kind of thing is a grudge against one's own culture in general. I've seen certain people who think only the Japanese know how to make good video games.

I've actually met people like this in game design circles ... it's really disturbing.

Rizen
Oct 12, 2007, 04:55 PM
On 2007-10-12 14:39, tei wrote:
Oh god, I would -hate- if they added that.. I'm of the total opposite opinion of the topic creator, it would make the game much less lively for me. The 'grunting' voices are already restrictive enough, even grunts and battle cries convey a little of what kind of emotion and personality the characters have, (like the female voice that does that evil laugh and "nya-hah" with every spell or when she gains the upper hand..) and that's bad enough to force on create-a-characters when you're only giving them 10 or so voice-sets to choose from and no option to record your own... Getting 10-12 forced phrases that your charrie is going to utter out 300 times per mission, (and that at LEAST 1/10th of all other player-characters will be identically saying) would make the characters seem like drones...

Did you happen to watch the video I said to watch? You do not hear the phrases that often as you think unless they are NPCs or casters...even then I don't think I hear them say much.

In AoI, I believe they added more voices to choose from. They still grunt and all, but the voices make it seem a bit less repetitive. Also, theres a very Very VERY good reason why they won't let you record you own: Maturity. Those of you who played PSO know how mature people can be when making their own stuff. People would make the most stupid sound clips that would annoy everyone that they party with. Also, there would be an issue of getting those sounds to transmit properly to other characters if they were to be saved as sound bits. It would be possible if there was a mic function, but thats only for Xbox360 (which some people make stupid sounds either way to annoy people).

There were a few reasons I know alot of people eyed PSU for before it was release that would have made it more unique than other MMOs out there currently: Vehicles, New battle system, and Character Customization and voices. Sadly, we only got half that when the final product which is why we shouldn't settle for anymore half efforts to add stuff.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizen on 2007-10-12 14:56 ]</font>

February
Oct 12, 2007, 05:03 PM
I actually liked hearing Feb yell things out occasionally while I was playing AoI.

tei
Oct 12, 2007, 05:06 PM
Yes, I know about the maturity factor being the reason why they would never add voice recording... but I also do believe in not adding something if it's a half effort, and I feel reptitive voice clips (this includes both spoken words and grunts, just voiced clips are 'intelligent' and thus easier to pick out as repetitive and giving an idea of the character's emotions and personality) are sort of a half effort. They're intended to make the characters seem different and livelier, but they actually make it a lot worse for me since none of the 'grunts' alone fit what my charrie's personalities are suppose to be. If my cold-hearted military cast girl started giggling and screaming attack names getter-robo style in a high pitched voice throughout a mission, I would be driven insane...

And I did see the clip and I know it's not voicing every second, but if you're grinding or hunting items for hours on end, you're still going to hear the same clips hundreds of times http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Tulio07
Oct 12, 2007, 05:17 PM
i want an option to give me a menu option to turn em on and off

Nyreal
Oct 12, 2007, 06:10 PM
Character voices are fine as grunts. I think that the characters in the actualy story should have voices. It makes the story seem more... important.

Weeaboolits
Oct 12, 2007, 07:59 PM
They should include the original voicing like they used to, why the hell did they stop?

physic
Oct 13, 2007, 12:14 AM
american voice acting can be great, but its gonna come down to the actor, director, etc. Fist of the northstar and akira back in the day had excellent VA imo, but now that there is a higher volume of work some people dont invest the time and money to do good voice acting.
that said, first i thought it wouldnt be a good idea, but the fact is you get shortchanged, there is a lot of voices in the set that are up to the user to say, the game wont call it out on less we say to, by typing its code. When you go through the options in NA you get a ton of clips that are virtually the same because they are all grunts.

And come on, SHORYUKEN TIGER! voices in games can be pretty cool.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 13, 2007, 12:27 AM
Ugh, you people cannot possibly be serious. I played the AoI beta for like maybe, I dunno, 10 hours tops, and I was tired of hearing the stupid voices after 3 hours. Seriously, it was really damn annoying to hear some stupid 3-second long sentence shouted every other time I wanted to cast Diga.

On the flip side, the grunts and groans on our server are subtle enough that they don't grate on the nerves, but at the same time some are fucking hilarious to listen to. My Newman, for example, has the most insane laughter when casting techs, and I very greatly prefer that to hearing something stupid like "Take this!" repeated ad nauseam, in English or Japanese.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ffuzzy-Logik on 2007-10-12 22:28 ]</font>

Rizen
Oct 13, 2007, 09:18 AM
I'm 100% serious here. You might be one of those people who like to play the game quiet. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I will admit the cackling laughter voice when casting is a nice one, but I think I would like to her some voicing as well.

I just got finish leveling my Force to lv 5 on AoI, and I'd say about 2 out of 5 casts is a voice, but most of them are quick and short. I can see where some people can be annoyed with voices here, but c'mon! I'm sure you have played games where you haven't been annoyed by hearing voices every few seconds or so.

physic
Oct 13, 2007, 10:47 AM
in the beta they had the frequency up too high, they altered that for release. as to rather hearing laughter, thats up to each person, but with only grunts, you dont have as many options. and like i said, a lot of the speech you never hear, where it comes in is in emotes, which makes it up to the player and somewhat entertaining. Simple answer is have options to turn on voice grunt or neither for each client. then each player can have his cake and eat it too

amtalx
Oct 13, 2007, 11:32 AM
On 2007-10-13 07:18, Rizen wrote:
I'm sure you have played games where you haven't been annoyed by hearing voices every few seconds or so.

Yes, but I wasn't playing them for hundreds (soon thousands) of hours. It only gets annoying when I've heard it 40,000 times. I can tolerate it in a finite game.

Losyl
Oct 13, 2007, 09:58 PM
Not too sure myself...on the one hand id like to have it but on the other id be worried that id get stuck with something i dont like>.>

bahk
Oct 13, 2007, 10:38 PM
I've only watched a limited number of Japland videos (like De Rol Le fight), but from that very small exposure I can safely say I do not want voices. Maybe if there were like 10 different ones that played very rarely, but isn't it 3 voices for melee attacks and 3 voices for casting? I know from what I saw they spouted those horrible lines almost every time, and just became unbearable in the video with the high pitched squeaky fT fighting De Rol.

So yeah I vote no.

F-Gattaca
Oct 14, 2007, 12:10 AM
On 2007-10-13 07:18, Rizen wrote:
I'm 100% serious here. You might be one of those people who like to play the game quiet. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I will admit the cackling laughter voice when casting is a nice one, but I think I would like to her some voicing as well.

I just got finish leveling my Force to lv 5 on AoI, and I'd say about 2 out of 5 casts is a voice, but most of them are quick and short. I can see where some people can be annoyed with voices here, but c'mon! I'm sure you have played games where you haven't been annoyed by hearing voices every few seconds or so.

The way voices are done in games like Phantasy Star Universe breaks immersion more than silent characters would (see: PSO).

Seriously--would any normal human being (or genetically engineered, or synthetic) be capable of repeatedly saying "TAKE THIS! TAKE THIS! OW, THAT HURT! TAKE THIS! FINAL SLASH! SUPER SWORD CUT! TAKE THIS! OW, THAT HURT! PUNK!" in the space of a few seconds, while furiously slashing away or taking heavy blows?

Aside from the occasional command, shout, cheer, phrase, or somesuch, people are physically exerting themselves too much in a fight to say nearly as much as characters are portrayed doing in PSU or AoI (or any of the Tales of series for that matter).

That's the main problem with the idea of having voices--they didn't make it so that characters would only occasionally say things, and that's why I think Sega of America was wise to localize PSU in such a way that all the voice types are grunts and vocalizations, and left voice to the text bubbles and our imaginations. It comes off much better and is more philosophically sound.

And quite frankly, I think the voice types I chose for my characters (11 and 12) are spot on with their personality and the way I imagine them talking in my head.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-10-13 23:58 ]</font>

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 14, 2007, 01:53 AM
On 2007-10-13 08:47, physic wrote:
in the beta they had the frequency up too high, they altered that for release.No, I mean AoI beta, which had the same stupid saying rate as the release.

I can stand hearing maniacal laughter every other cast (I even enjoy it), but I can't stand hearing "SUPER ULTRA MIGHTY ULTIMATE EPIC EXPLOSION BLAST ATTACK OF DOOM HEADED YOUR WAY HA-HA!" every other cast of Foie.

Reipard
Oct 14, 2007, 03:08 AM
I am dismayed by the lack of a "PLAYTIME'S OVER" option in the poll.

Remius
Oct 14, 2007, 05:25 AM
On 2007-10-12 08:52, Rizen wrote:
I know alot of people say "Its better to have no voices because English voice acting sucks." This may be true, but having voices to your character actually makes the game seem a bit more livelier, for me at least. Playing the JP version of PSU again reminded me of why I liked to play it. It helps makes your characters have a bit of personality and distinguishing the tone between person to person.

Its also pretty funny to spam voice clips over and over again with friends http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

One thing that kinda annoys me in the US is when you level up, dying, getting revived, or other actions that have you character say something, its just grunts. Personally, I would rather nothing be heard instead of hearing grunts all the time.

Also, I would like to have voices in for the sake of completeness. Many people who play the PC/PS2 and Xbox360 version realized that the PC version has ALOT of missing sound effects for what ever reason. Best example of this is when Onmagoug using his Lightning attack. On PC, you barely hear anything at all. On Xbox360, you will hear a loud thundering roar before it is released. Why isn't it the same? No clue. Probably the laziness of looking over details.

So whats your take on it?

To all you japantards out there, PSU voice acting does N O T suck. (excluding 2 or 3 characters.)

Most of the bad acting comes from translations in which something is said faster or slower in some other language, or a popular phrase is used in a situation where in america it usually is not.

The voice acting does not simply "suck".

Now, HAL's voice acting is actully BETTER in english than in japanese. I want to strangle that bitch everytime she talks.

and for the record, i would LOVE my character to scream "PLAYTIMES OVER!" "THIS IS IT" on the last hit of my maxed photon arts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Remius on 2007-10-14 03:34 ]</font>

Gamemako
Oct 14, 2007, 07:50 AM
On 2007-10-12 10:15, F-Gattaca wrote:

On 2007-09-27 12:52, F-Gattaca wrote:

I kinda prefer the grunts to actual phrases as well.

You know how the recent Tales games and how everyone in a battle--and I mean everyone--talks nonstop no matter what's going on? All at the same time? Yeeeaaah.

For me, the grunts are more realistic--wait, not a good word for Phantasy Star ... um, immersive! That's the word I was looking for. Grunts are more immersive.

Though, I wouldn't mind spoken phrases as long as they were sparsely used by the game itself--as in, your character would only say them during a specific situation, rather than with every weapon swing and blow taken. Kind of like the NPC text phrases.

EDIT: Oh, and to add to that ...

No, I don't think having Japanese-only voices would make it any better than if the phrases were spoken by English VAs. I understand the principle of "hearing things not in a language you understand makes it cooler by default," but even then the gabbering would drive me nuts.

I was actually thinking of the Japanese version of the Tales of series when I wrote the above post a while back; battles might as well have been singles bars the way they sounded to the ear.

I rather like our version of character voices anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-10-12 10:19 ]</font>

OK, when I fence, I tend not to make stupid grunts, but I do talk (except in tournaments, where they frown on doing such things, claiming it distracts your opponent or something). But I still usually don't care for ingame voice clips as they can get repetitive. I remember playing Yager (because they couldn't just call it Jäger) and at first being amused by "Nimm das!" until it got a touch old (you blast down a whole lot of enemies in the game, and while it's not the only thing your character says, it's fairly common).

Japanese voice acting is also sorely overrated. Most people like it because they don't understand it; thus, it can't be melodramatic or stilted, right?

Rizen
Oct 14, 2007, 08:16 AM
On 2007-10-14 05:50, Gamemako wrote:
Japanese voice acting is also sorely overrated. Most people like it because they don't understand it; thus, it can't be melodramatic or stilted, right?
QFT! XD

I understand the worry that if we do get voices, it might be done poorly. I, too, would be sadden if it were the case. I was going to say something about I have faith in ST, but I could see the "Are we talking about the same ST here" comments coming. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Losyl
Oct 14, 2007, 08:28 AM
To add to what i said earlier...i like my characters battle voice clips (voice set 8 ) and they fit her character, however i didnt get any loby voice clips i like. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
So i guess the "quit while your ahead" saying comes in here http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Losyl on 2007-10-14 06:30 ]</font>

Remius
Oct 14, 2007, 12:29 PM
Another example of GOOD English acting would be the Tales Of series. Anyone who played Tales of Symphonia and said they have no "feeling" in what they say needs to be shot in the nuts.

And Phrases will be damn annoying no matter which language they are in. Seldom will they not, as the only game ive played where they wernt was Kingdom Hearts 2. (And thats because that game had a D A M N good english cast. Square Enix knows what the hell their doing when they cast someone.)

Same cant be said for Sonic Team though. Some can say the Sonic the Hedgehog series has failed to bad voice acting, but i personally say they failed to bad scripting AND bad voice acting.

PSU Did great in the voice department. In fact, the only voice that pissed me off would be Tonnio. Hyuga , Ethan and Karen and most ALL of the side characters had great voice acting.

I was going to say Maya, but i decided not to. I just hate her character. Theres no reason on earth you should be fighting with titties that fucking big.

Someone can swipe and miss her by 10 inches but still slice one of her breasts in half. Thats an apparent problem.

Sexy_Raine
Oct 14, 2007, 01:14 PM
The current voices for our version don't bother me. I'd rather not have them being changed into actual quotes. It's better just being left as simple groans.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sexy_Raine on 2007-10-14 11:15 ]</font>

Sasamichan
Oct 14, 2007, 01:22 PM
On 2007-10-14 10:29, Remius wrote:

I was going to say Maya, but i decided not to. I just hate her character. Theres no reason on earth you should be fighting with titties that fucking big.

I don't think they are THAT big. They are just pointy.

F-Gattaca
Oct 14, 2007, 01:25 PM
On 2007-10-14 10:29, Remius wrote:

Someone can swipe and miss her by 10 inches but still slice one of her breasts in half. Thats an apparent problem.

---
Oh yeah. I went there.

Say it with me now ...

"Dual side airbags."

She's got an important safety feature as required by government automation standards--and she helped to keep my Blue Book value intact even when facing head-on collisions with Seeker cruise missiles!

ThEoRy
Oct 14, 2007, 01:26 PM
"Spinning Blade!, Spinning Blade!, Spinning Blade!, Spinning Blade!, Spinning Blade!, Spinning Blade!, Spinning Blade!, Spinning Blade!, Spinning Blade!, Spinning Blade!, Spinning Blade!, Spinning Blade!"

Nuff said.

BahnKnakyu
Oct 14, 2007, 01:27 PM
I would like to have voices voiced by non-shitty VAs. Otherwise I'd like a dual voice option for both JP and English so that both crowds can stfu about it.

Umberger
Oct 14, 2007, 01:44 PM
It's already annoying enough when someone has a weird pitch/voice combination that doesn't match their character...I think spoken lines would make it worse.

I'm quite fine with the grunts and such we have.