PDA

View Full Version : PSU: Extra Mode

mizukage
Oct 12, 2007, 10:33 PM
I was just wondering.. The "extra mode" is rarely mentioned in this forum. Do people actually play the extra mode of PSU offline??

Edit: Theory removed. I guess my theory is stupid.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mizukage on 2007-10-12 21:51 ]</font>

Lolitecher
Oct 13, 2007, 07:01 AM
I really liked the Extra Mode in PSU. If it wasn't for my attempt to level Rentis and Dizas to level 21+ which drove me pretty much completely insane (Playing "Groundhog Day" with the same missions over and over again might have also contributed to that), I probably would have kept on playing it even after reaching level 100. Despite maxing the level out though in Extra Mode, I kinda' want to start out fresh in AOI Offline. ^_^

tei
Oct 13, 2007, 08:50 AM
While extra mode is a lot more lacking than it should be (there's no reason they couldn't put all the weapon, item, motion, etc content from online mode and the online mode levelling grind into offline/extra...), I do prefer it. I don't like paying a monthly fee to access slightly more content of what's already on my game disc... As for playing with other people, well, I've never found PSO or PSU's in-game communities to be very friendly or mature. As I said in another topic, everytime I go to a BB or PSU lobby, all I hear is flaming or talk of genitals. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif If I want to play with another person, I'd prefer playing a game where I can play with someone in real life who's right beside me anyhow.

The other big reason I like extra mode more than online mode is for longevity. I usually only buy 3 games per console or so, and my NES is still hooked up and I still play it. Same with my Master System.. and my Gameboy. And so on. But when you play a game that's 100% online, it's only going to last you as long as the company keeps the servers up - then when they close it, you won't be able to play your characters again ever... In this day and age, there's many MMOs that get closed very quickly. Namco closed Tales of Eternia Online after only a year, and Konami closed Tokimeki Memorial Online after slightly longer.

Unless Sega announces that they'd release a full fledged expansion that let you do everything you could online in an offline mode, AND gave you the option to transfer one-way your charries from online to off when they were closing their servers, I wouldn't bother with online mode compared to extra mode lest I get too attached to it. I don't want to lose characters I played for years one day when the company thinks it would be better to use their servers and money for something else.