PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm off to work.

Nyreal
Oct 14, 2007, 08:54 AM
God. Who works on a Sunday? I'd rather play PSU.

*fkees*

Out_Kast
Oct 14, 2007, 09:17 AM
Well, obviously you do http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
It's not as though every doctor in the world can all have a Sunday off because accidents don't happen on Sundays. So you're not alone http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jife_Jifremok
Oct 14, 2007, 11:49 AM
Lots of people work on sundays. Sports teams, consessions/vendors during their games, restaurants, convenience stores, grocery stores, public transportation, police and fire, medical...

I sure am glad our country doesn't shut down just because it's sunday. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

amtalx
Oct 14, 2007, 12:23 PM
I'm at work right now too...

Blitzkommando
Oct 14, 2007, 12:41 PM
Try the military. You'll get to work weekends and holidays if Uncle Sam says so. And you might just work 48 hours or more straight. Not many other professions can pull that legally. But then, isn't it remarkable that all of the people that do that volunteer to do so? Nobody is forced into it, they all choose to give up rights and priviledges that Joe Citizen takes for granted.

AlexCraig
Oct 14, 2007, 01:19 PM
I used to work on Sundays, but then my boss took that day off the schedule.

amtalx
Oct 14, 2007, 02:24 PM
On 2007-10-14 10:41, Norvekh wrote:
Try the military. You'll get to work weekends and holidays if Uncle Sam says so. And you might just work 48 hours or more straight. Not many other professions can pull that legally. But then, isn't it remarkable that all of the people that do that volunteer to do so? Nobody is forced into it, they all choose to give up rights and priviledges that Joe Citizen takes for granted.

Unless you are one of the lucky few (lots) that enlist because its your only chance at making a decent living. For some, unless you can pay for a solid education to get out of wherever you are, its off to the recruiter. Oddly enough, these are all the guys that end up dying in wars...

Blitzkommando
Oct 14, 2007, 02:37 PM
Airmen's wages aren't a 'decent living'. Most are on foodstamps and make hardly anything. If you join the military to make money you've already lost the game.

Nyreal
Oct 14, 2007, 05:08 PM
Actually, people in the military get huge signing bonuses, and a salary. Uncle Sam will also pay the down payment on a house for you.

If you survive, you've got it good.

Broodstar1337
Oct 14, 2007, 05:09 PM
On 2007-10-14 12:37, Norvekh wrote:
Airmen's wages aren't a 'decent living'. Most are on foodstamps and make hardly anything. If you join the military to make money you've already lost the game.

Coming from someone who's actually in the Air Force, I have yet to encounter anyone who has to rely on food stamps. In fact, most people I run into seem to live pretty comfortable lives with a decent chunk of money racked up.

Nyreal
Oct 14, 2007, 05:12 PM
Actually, people in the military get huge signing bonuses, and a salary. Uncle Sam will also pay the down payment on a house for you.

If you survive, you've got it good.

Broodstar1337
Oct 14, 2007, 05:13 PM
On 2007-10-14 12:37, Norvekh wrote:

Coming from someone who's actually in the Air Force, I have yet to encounter anyone who has to rely on food stamps. In fact, most people I run into seem to live pretty comfortable lives with a decent chunk of money racked up.

Blitzkommando
Oct 14, 2007, 07:32 PM
I suppose it has a lot to do with who you talk to, and where. Up at Wright-Patt I know a tech sergeant that simply couldn't afford to a buy a computer in one piece and has been purchasing the parts for months now and still hasn't completed it. He's fairly comfortable but lives a pretty spartan life. Officers do rather well, but the inlisted (especially one and two stripers) can be pretty low down on the income bracket and at least at Wright-Patt there were programs to get foodstamps for the various inlisted personnel. The problem is also many of the young families have several children and a part-time or stay at home mother. Trying to raise a family off of that level of pay alone, even with combat bonuses, can be very difficult.