PDA

View Full Version : PSU-PC/PS2: The AoI "lag question". (NOT network lag.)

Remius
Oct 14, 2007, 12:33 PM
does anyone have PS2 AoI yet?

If so, can ANYBODY confirm the horrible framerate problems have been eliminated?

I mean, i can take 6 people in a room casting level 50 dambarta on 20 enemies at the same time roasting my ps2, but in orginal psu, anytime you had more than 4 people in your room the game lagged horribly during fights.

Did they fix the lag/pallet load times? If so, to what extent?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Remius on 2007-10-14 10:33 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Remius on 2007-10-14 10:34 ]</font>

beatrixkiddo
Oct 14, 2007, 12:36 PM
I can guarantee you that 99% of anyone here who might have PS2 AoI cannot play it online, so this isn't known. Offline uses a lot less resources, so any improvements seen offline aren't necessarily going to carry over to Online.

Mewn
Oct 14, 2007, 01:39 PM
On 2007-10-14 10:36, beatrixkiddo wrote:
I can guarantee you that 99% of anyone here who might have PS2 AoI cannot play it online, so this isn't known. Offline uses a lot less resources, so any improvements seen offline aren't necessarily going to carry over to Online.

I don't have any experience of the original PSU on PS2, but if AoI's offline is an improvement over the original game, I shudder to think what PSU offline was like on PS2. In my experience, AoI offline on PS2 suffered frequent slowdowns, had weapon loading lag (i.e. I'd select a weapon, and had to actually wait up to 10 seconds before I could use PAs on it), and occasionally just plain slowed to a crawl.

I'm used to PC PSU so this was, to me, terrible and near unplayable. I dunno how PS2 players could possibly stand it.

Serephim
Oct 14, 2007, 11:23 PM
is this the final build or that old beta?

If so, then sonic team failed AoI in a big way.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 14, 2007, 11:27 PM
On 2007-10-14 21:23, Serephim wrote:
is this the final build or that old beta?
PS2 didn't have an AoI beta; he's clearly talking about release.

Besides, just get with a PC if it bothers you that much.

Broodstar1337
Oct 14, 2007, 11:48 PM
People still play PSU on the PS2?

Zorafim
Oct 14, 2007, 11:50 PM
Some people aren't fortunate to have access to gaming on their computer.

Ryo_Hayasa
Oct 14, 2007, 11:54 PM
In the PS2 version's offline mode there is still abit of slow down every so often. so it's not too bad. though something i can note, that does kinda upset me is i do sometimes have to wait abit for my weapons to load, or rather my techs to load atleast.

Though waiting for weapons to load hasn't resulted in my death like so many other times on vers.1

XDeathX
Oct 15, 2007, 12:16 AM
How does it compare to 360 online?

Niloklives
Oct 15, 2007, 12:44 AM
Mewn's crazy. AoI on PS2 has been improved a lot. there IS still slowdown and I've experienced some weapon lag, but it'snot nearly as bad as it once was and the slowdown seems to fix itself after a second, where before it was nearly impossibleto play until you moved t a new area or pointed your camera towards the ground.

so it's not perfect, but you'll immediately notice the improvements made to the game.

Zorafim
Oct 15, 2007, 12:47 AM
Please be right.

beatrixkiddo
Oct 15, 2007, 12:59 AM
Everyone's console runs differently~

mizukage
Oct 15, 2007, 01:08 AM
Extra mode for the PSU had almost no lags at all, mostly due to lack of content unlike the online version. Out of so many offline ps2 games, I had to admit that PSU have the faster loading and saving times, so sweet!!!

Niloklives
Oct 15, 2007, 01:33 AM
that's not true. I played story/extra mode for a long time since i didn't go online with pSU til january and still played exrea mode after that every once in a while. conent has nothing to do with it unless you're trying to say having few guns you can buy or less stages you can go to means the PS2 doesn't have to work as hard to display what you have or the stages themselves. it doesn;t work that way. the PS2 has to deal with the moatoob desert the same wayy offline as it does online, the only difference being the number of characters in your group.

even still, AoI's offline mode has way more content than v1 extra mode and stages identical to online v1, its much easier to make comparisons to v1 with AoI than you think as you can actually look at "desert terror" and compare it to "desert terror".

They down scaled weapon models and surfaces a lot. not so that you really notice, but the disk ToC is smaller even though there are more stages/weapons/clothes, so the loading times have been shortened just a little and there's more video memory and a little less to process at one time, sadly it doesn't look like they improved the coding much if any, but at least they did SOMETHING.

Zael
Oct 15, 2007, 03:00 AM
On 2007-10-14 21:48, Broodstar1337 wrote:

So I had three choices.

- Play PSU on my laptop, and experience bad graphic slowdown, 2-minute loading times, and PSU crashes.
- Play PSU on the PS2 and experience weapons/tech load and the worst graphics out of the three.
- Play PSU on the 360 version.

Needless to say, of course I went PS2.

Remius
Oct 15, 2007, 09:14 AM
On 2007-10-14 22:44, NIloklives wrote:
Mewn's crazy. AoI on PS2 has been improved a lot. there IS still slowdown and I've experienced some weapon lag, but it'snot nearly as bad as it once was and the slowdown seems to fix itself after a second, where before it was nearly impossibleto play until you moved t a new area or pointed your camera towards the ground.

so it's not perfect, but you'll immediately notice the improvements made to the game.

I just couldnt stand the lag during Her Secret Mission or more importantly Firebreak, where it takes you 4 miniutes to complete a 2 miniute mission had you been moving the CORRECT speed.

Alisha
Oct 15, 2007, 11:54 AM
on the original game(ps2)in extra mode i only got slowdown in a certain area of mizuraki C.D.. its weird because only a couple mobs pop there.

Mewn
Oct 15, 2007, 12:19 PM
On 2007-10-14 22:44, NIloklives wrote:

If AoI is actually an improvement, the original version must really have been unplayable, lmao.

Then again maybe I'm just too used to playing a version of the game that doesn't run like crap.

McLaughlin
Oct 15, 2007, 01:23 PM
On 2007-10-15 01:00, Zael wrote:

On 2007-10-14 21:48, Broodstar1337 wrote:

So I had three choices.

- Play PSU on my laptop, and experience bad graphic slowdown, 2-minute loading times, and PSU crashes.
- Play PSU on the PS2 and experience weapons/tech load and the worst graphics out of the three.
- Play PSU on the 360 version.

Needless to say, of course I went PS2.

Nice jab.

No one can accurately attest to game lag until they've played it online. Which they can't(?).