PDA

View Full Version : Grandfather

Dek
Oct 16, 2007, 06:58 PM
Thursday, October 4: Broke his shoulder when getting out of the shower. Brought to the hospital immediately
Monday, October 8: suffers a heart attack
Wednesday, October 10: suffers a heart attack
Thursday, October 11: dies at the age of 93 as of 7:50 AM (Central)

That Friday, I went to work trying not to break down. Somehow, I did it.

Saturday (October 13), my dad and I went down to Florida and visited with the rest of the family. We started going through things, such as belongings, the will, etc.

Sunday, did the same thing

Monday (yesterday) was the funeral. My dad, uncle, cousin's husband, and I had to take the coffin and put it in it's burial place.

I met some of the people that my grandfather knew, including his girlfriend of 6 months (my Grandmother died last November. During that time, this woman came into his life and made him happy once more). They all talked about how great of a person he was.

Obviously, I had no arguments, since I always had wonderful times with him as well when I was younger.

After all, he was a father of two, grandfather of four, and a great-grandfather of one.

I understand everyone's time will come when they have to leave this place. However, I wish it wouldn't have happened this way.

DizzyDi
Oct 16, 2007, 07:11 PM
It always sucks when someone goes like that. You always wonder to yourself what would it be like had they not done that one thing that lead to their deaths. I can empathize with you. My grandma died of a stroke a few years ago. Lemme tell you, going to my grandparents' house is never the same without my ma there.
It was a blessing that your grandpa lived as long as he died. 93! Congratulations! I'm sure he he lived a great life and died with no regrets.

omegapirate2k
Oct 16, 2007, 07:17 PM
When somebody has lived as long as 93, especially somebody with as fulfilling a life as you make your grandfather out to be, it's not such a tragedy, is it?

My great grandfather recently died at around the same age, he had the benefit of being able to speak before the end, and he was telling people he actually wanted to die, he'd lived a good life, and had no problems with it.

My condolences.

Neith
Oct 16, 2007, 08:14 PM
Sorry to hear that, it's always hard when a family member dies.

At least he lived to a good age- 93 is certainly a long life, and I'm sure he enjoyed it. You don't tend to think an awful lot about death, until it happens to someone in your life. I know the feeling, as my dad was killed in a road accident when I was 11. I hadn't really been concerned with death until then, but man, it made a huge impact on me- one that I know I'll never feel for hopefully a long time.

When someone's lived a long life, like your grandfather did, it's harsh, but you appreciate that he must have lived a full, happy life for the most part.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about it, and the (very rare) occasion I sign onto MSN, you can talk to me if you need to.

mizukage
Oct 16, 2007, 08:39 PM
I am sorry to hear that your grandfather has passed away recently. My grandfather had passed away in the late 1940s. Its been quite a long time ago, so I don't think much about it. However, I do understand how you feel. Its surely sudden, but since he left at the age of 93, he must had lived a good fulfilling life. I am sure your grandfather who passed away at the age of 93 don't hope to see their loved ones to feel unhappy all the time, while in Heaven. So, don't think too much about it.

SStrikerR
Oct 16, 2007, 09:18 PM
I feel your pain aswell. My great-grandmother died on oct. 4. she was 95, and she had cancer for about 6 months. I visited her the week before for about 2 hours, and It was actually one of the things I've done that made me very happy i did so.(she lived 3 hours away so i couldnt visit her everyday.) It still makes me sad, because everytime i went up there, my family would pick my 2 great grandmothers, who bothed lived in neighboring apartments, to church. It feels so different now. And she was always healthy till the cancer.
uriko is right, you dont think to much about death until someone you know is taken by it.

First it was my almost-one-year-old cat two summers ago, last year, then my 10 year old cat december 23, then my Grandfather december 26, and now.....

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 16, 2007, 11:35 PM
To have lived as long as he did, he must have enjoyed life. Indeed, everyone must die, sooner or later. Still, after 93 years in this world, it seems that he's passed on his genes and in doing so, he still lives on. Remember the wisdom that he imparted to you, and take relief in the knowledge that whatever may have been troubling him, is not troubling him any longer.

rahl1
Oct 16, 2007, 11:35 PM
I am sorry about the loss of your grandfather.
I lost both of my parents when I was very young and one of my sisters a few years ago. There never seems to be enough time to spend with those you really care about. Always make time to tell your friends and family, or anyone one cares for, how much they mean to you. I always try to. You never know what life has planned for you.....

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 17, 2007, 12:09 AM
Hey, it was probably in your best interests to break down/let it all out. Your grandpa probably won't want to be a burden on anyone in that way. I couldn't go to work myself when a grandpa of mine died.

Good to hear everyone around him spread the good words about him. You're even doing so here through the topic. We probably can't really choose the way it ends, accepting it will take some time for you, so good luck coping and dealing with it. No worries man.

Otis_Kat
Oct 17, 2007, 02:28 PM
Born around 1914. Almost everything we learn/learned about the 20th century in history class, he actually lived through. That's a pretty amazing thing.

Zorafim
Oct 17, 2007, 09:18 PM
My Great-Grandmother died a few years ago, but much differently than yours. You're saying he died relatively quickly, right? No time for you to brace yourself? I guess I was lucky then, my Great-Grandmother sort of died in stages, slowly deteriorating. We all knew she didn't have much time left, so we all knew it was going to happen. But to have someone die so quickly must be really tough.