PDA

View Full Version : Server Merging

Googlebonker
Oct 17, 2007, 09:19 AM
Don't worry about what you've heard, seen, or read. IF it is/will be possible for the servers to merge, how much of a merge would you want, or would you not want a merge?

Indica
Oct 17, 2007, 09:23 AM
It's gonna happen, just you wait and see

Alpha-Hunter
Oct 17, 2007, 09:26 AM
it depends on the status of the population of PS2/PC when AOI comes. If it's still dismal then I'm all about a merger. If it's cool and most of the population returns and stays then there's no need to fix something that's not broken IMHO.

Soulvayne
Oct 17, 2007, 09:27 AM
The 360 servers are all ready merged to begin with so thats been solved. I doubt the PS2/PC jp and US servers are going to be merged anytime soon; if it wasn't really done for PSO I doubt it'll be done for PSU. I don't really think the JP players would want their servers merged with US servers anyhow if they could avoid it.

amtalx
Oct 17, 2007, 09:35 AM
MS would never let it happen.

FORGET IT.

Pillan
Oct 17, 2007, 09:48 AM
Personally I don't understand why ST has 20 universes for the 500 people that play US PC/PS2. If I were them, I would be working on a full PC/PS2 merger right now to save money by removing the extra servers.

But, yeah, 360 is too different to ever be merged with the others. Even if Microsoft would let them, how would you allow PS2/3 players to speak? It definitely won't happen before PSU ver 3. (PSU Ep. 1-6?)

Soulvayne
Oct 17, 2007, 10:03 AM
I think you are confusing servers and universes. I'm doubting each one of these universes is on its own server; though they probably could just pull some of them to sort of corral everyone together if thats what you really want. PSO had different "blocks" instead of universes with some of the blocks getting different themes.

CAST-Sapphire
Oct 17, 2007, 10:21 AM
I want ALL of the servers to merge. The more player in one spot the better IMO.

Pillan
Oct 17, 2007, 10:22 AM
By servers I meant the extra JP server and the one US server (did they ever finish the world merger?). Anyway, the general point remains valid regardless: it’s cheaper to have 1 PC/PS2/PS3 server than it is to have 3.

Eri_Kasamoto
Oct 17, 2007, 10:37 AM
It will never happen...

Who would want to mix rotten tomatoes to the bunch of fresh ones?

physic
Oct 17, 2007, 10:45 AM
well you see the people they would consult about such a merger is probably SOA localization, and being that they would have much less reason for existing if the jp did it all, i doubt they will merge. Anyhow even if they merged, the NA speaking population would still be low. anyhow i wouldnt mind a merge of any sort, but alas unlikely

A2K
Oct 17, 2007, 10:46 AM
It's quite possible on the technical side, but because of, let's call them... "platform politics" there's little chance of it ever actually happening. At this point in time I'm still personally against it. "Artifacts" of the past still linger.

On 2007-10-17 08:03, Soulvayne wrote:
I think you are confusing servers and universes. I'm doubting each one of these universes is on its own server;

Universes have gone down individually in the past due to a mass moving of players during events and such. This seems to suggest that each one is self-contained.

HFlowen
Oct 17, 2007, 10:48 AM
Ugh, people, the question was not if it would happen or not.

Eggshen has already stated that it, of course, will not happen. More of a technical issue than economy or "microsoft wont let it happen" issue.

Zorafim
Oct 17, 2007, 10:51 AM
On 2007-10-17 08:37, Eri_Kasamoto wrote:

Yeah, basically. PC servers still have too much meseta and incredibly terrible player shops, 360 servers are... And the PSUjp servers are too far ahead.
If anything, I think the PSUjp and the 360jp servers should be mixed.

That doesn't mean I don't want them all to be merged, I think it'll be fun. I love playing with foreigners.

pikachief
Oct 17, 2007, 10:54 AM
On 2007-10-17 08:51, Zorafim wrote:

Yeah, basically. PC servers still have too much meseta and incredibly terrible player shops, 360 servers are... And the PSUjp servers are too far ahead.
If anything, I think the PSUjp and the 360jp servers should be mixed.

That doesn't mean I don't want them all to be merged, I think it'll be fun. I love playing with foreigners.

they are fun ^.^ they're like oh u know speak japanese? where are u from? US oh tahts nice...

then i attempt to say thanks in japanese and they say Oh you speak japanese very good

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

omegapirate2k
Oct 17, 2007, 10:59 AM
I'm of mixed feelings when it comes to PC/PS2 &360 merge because on the one hand there are some people I wouldn't mind playing with, on the other hand, as A2K mentioned "Artifacts" are still a problem there and I'd rather not have them over here.

Should some way to balance the servers be reached, I'd be all for it, but as it stands, I'll pass.

Golto
Oct 17, 2007, 11:03 AM
The whole voice chat thing makes server merger impossible is pretty stupid. It could be very easy to code it to not send or recieve voice on the pc/ps2 side. Come on the voice chat thing for 360 is bulit ontop of psu.

Japanese as a whole have a bias against non-asian players and would cause an uproar if the pc/ps2 servers were merged. ST does not care about player ecomonies its all about the JPN pc/ps2 players.

Sinue_v2
Oct 17, 2007, 11:36 AM
how would you allow PS2/3 players to speak?

Easily. Voice Chat from 360 players would play through speakers by default on PS2/PC, and PS2/PC players would continue to use the keyboard. Unless you're implying that 360 players can't read. You'd obviously not be able to send game invites, voices messages, pictures, etc to PS2/PC people - but the game has it's own simple mail, invite, friends list, etc system built in.

You'd be surprised. Ever gotten a bag of fruit or snacks with a few really screwed up pieces among them? It's often a common practice for a manufacturer or produce seller to take a batch of defective looking products and disperse them through several bags of good product. If you get a bag of dates and find a nasty one in there, you simply throw the nasty one out and consume the rest of the bag. In this way you can sell the defective batch rather than having to scrap it and take the losses. When I worked at Serenade, we'd do that shit all the time with Chicken Nuggets/Strips. If a batch came out smashed, half-breaded, or underweight, we'd simply put them aside and then disperse them later into good batches.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-10-17 09:39 ]</font>

Fredrick
Oct 17, 2007, 12:30 PM
I just want to be able to play with the JP PS2 players. I remember on GC PSO I spent 90% of my time on the JP servers just because they had so much more teamwork.

Rashiid
Oct 17, 2007, 12:39 PM
PC/Ps2 would just sweep by and buy everything from our stores. in seconds.

Pillan
Oct 17, 2007, 12:47 PM

If I could prove to myself that the amount I’m saving on the transport of the extra baskets and people who mistakenly purchase the rotten ones is more than the amount I’m losing on people who notice the rotten ones, I and any self-respecting corporation would.

On 2007-10-17 09:36, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Easily. Voice Chat from 360 players would play through speakers by default on PS2/PC, and PS2/PC players would continue to use the keyboard. Unless you're implying that 360 players can't read. You'd obviously not be able to send game invites, voices messages, pictures, etc to PS2/PC people - but the game has it's own simple mail, invite, friends list, etc system built in.

On 2007-10-17 07:48, Pillan wrote:
It definitely won't happen before PSU ver 3. (PSU Ep. 1-6?)

I agree entirely that something could be done to allow PS2 players to hear and you could work around their inability to talk and you could even add a system that used a PC and PS microphone, but that hasn’t been implemented in either of the current PSUs, which is why I made the ver 3 comment. I’m assuming that a speech system is too large to fit in the space allotted for the general gameplay updates on the PS2 version.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pillan on 2007-10-17 10:56 ]</font>

Tsundere
Oct 17, 2007, 01:53 PM
I would LOVE to see it happen.