PDA

View Full Version : Red ring of death = no 1up cup =[

Skyy-hacylon
Oct 19, 2007, 10:56 PM
First off, hooray for me signing up for the message boards finally! *pats self on back*

I know a lot of the current forum members are on the PS2/PC servers. I used to play on the PS2 until the majority of my friends got 360s and switched, which meant I had to buy the Box of Evil. I'm sure you have all heard of the red ring of death which plagues the 360 systems. Well, mine just died. =[ I couldn't think of a worse time for this, what a freakin bummer! I was wondering if anybody else here plays on the 360 servers and is waiting for their unit to be fixed, too.

I suckered, err..., persuaded a friend who is busy tomorrow to let me borrow her 360 for the night, but I don't know how I'm going to cope with the remaining 20-26 days until I get my unit back. *sigh*

Everybody, please do me a favor and have some darn fun for me! And please, a moment of silence for my dear departed Box of Evil. *bows head*

HFlowen
Oct 19, 2007, 11:00 PM
That sucks. I don't own a 360 but, I believe you can take out the hard drive, send your x-box for repairs and use a rental x-box to play.

Like I said, never owned an x-box, but I remember hearing about someone use the above mentioned method.

Skyy-hacylon
Oct 19, 2007, 11:04 PM
huh, never thought of that.... any idea where i can rent one? blockbuster i'd assume...

and **** my shift key, it's not working!

Anduril
Oct 19, 2007, 11:05 PM
My condolences. I hope that you will get it back soon. It's always a shame when this happens to people.

HFlowen
Oct 19, 2007, 11:05 PM
Yea, I'd figure blockbuster.

buzyb77
Oct 19, 2007, 11:08 PM
On 2007-10-19 21:00, HFlowen wrote:
That sucks. I don't own a 360 but, I believe you can take out the hard drive, send your x-box for repairs and use a rental x-box to play.

Like I said, never owned an x-box, but I remember hearing about someone use the above mentioned method.

Rent a Center...or jack your money-a- center...

Skyy-hacylon
Oct 19, 2007, 11:09 PM
i don't have an account with them, but above said friend i am borrowing the 360 from does... i will have to see what they charge, and possibly give her the money to rent one for me. thanks for the idea flowen, you possibly just saved the 1up cup for me! *hugs*

edit: buzyb, yeah, they really ream you... i think i would be better off buying another core system, hahaha. they just dropped the price on those to 249, i believe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skyy-hacylon on 2007-10-19 21:15 ]</font>

mvffin
Oct 19, 2007, 11:14 PM
did you try any of the 'quick fixes' before sending it out? i used the 'towel method' and mine works fine for about a week after each time.

of course, my store warranty is up and i basically have no shipping address, so once it goes kaput for good i'll get an elite.

Fleur-de-Lis
Oct 19, 2007, 11:15 PM
I sympathize, sort of.

XBox works. I can get online. I can chill in the Cup lobby. But I can't play for more than 15 minutes before getting an interrupt request from the server, which I live about 5 minutes from. Comcast blows, but I've checked into it and for once it isn't their fault. Basically I can do everything but enjoy PSU. No point in joining missions since I get dropped midway through.

So yeah, I'm with you on that one, sort of. Good luck to the Guardians out there!

New_One
Oct 19, 2007, 11:17 PM
Theres a trick which temporarily fixes the red ring. You overheat the machine and it restarts or something....probably does more damage than good in the long run though..

Skyy-hacylon
Oct 19, 2007, 11:20 PM
Fleur-de-Lis, i know alllll about that. i have a lot of friends in my area (i'm in florida) who have comcast, and they CONSTANTLY had connection interrupts... and i know it was their fault. i would be playing in a room with 4 friends; 1 who had my isp, and 3 who had comcast, and the 3 with comcast would all lose connection at once! and i'm talking, like... 10-20 times a night. even if they SAY it's not their fault, i wouldn't be so sure. most of those friends have switched to my isp (i have dsl), and have had no problems since.

Fleur-de-Lis
Oct 19, 2007, 11:22 PM
Hm, everything else running on Comcast is nominal, including DLs. Personally, I'd have gone Covad; too bad it's the landlord's call and not mine. :/

Time to move I guess.

Indica
Oct 19, 2007, 11:24 PM
Microsoft are a bunch of F_ing Douchebags. Typical Corporate Scum. You should google Class Action Lawsuit cuz I know there will be one regarding this Ring Of Death and they already lost a few Billion regarding this issue.

Microsoft are a bunch of liars. They are forcing people to buy Windows Vista because of Direct X10 support. Everyone in the tech community knows damn well that Windows XP can support it but it's a marketing SCAM !!!

Skyy-hacylon
Oct 19, 2007, 11:36 PM
mvffin and new_one; i actually did try the 'towel' trick, hahaha. it didn't work for me... althought i have a friend who has gone through, and i kid you not, i am completely serious here, -9- units! he suggested it to me because it worked for him a few times, but no such luck here. thanks for the suggestion though! =]

Fleur-de-Lis; sorry about that landlord thing, my apartment complex goes though a local cable co. also, which is why i have the dsl in the first place.

and indica; yeah, you're right, but i will bet you somebody will reverse engineer that dx10 and make an install for xp. it didn't take very long for decss and an iphone hack to come along... i'm sure dx10 will be the same (although i'm sure ms won't be all too happy!)

Sinue_v2
Oct 20, 2007, 04:10 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Sinue/1190780556418.jpg

You could always try wrapping it in towels with the power on and letting it bake for awhile. You could also play dumb and pretend that your friend never lent you the Xbox to try and stall for time. If he gets insistent, just punch him.

lethe
Oct 20, 2007, 05:16 AM
Mine had its optical drive fail 2 weeks ago, im still waiting for it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif im very upset http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif:(:(

lethe
Oct 20, 2007, 06:06 AM
GUESS WHAT! i just found out Rent-a-center RENTS OUT 360s for 30$ A WEEK, im going there tomarrow http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif:):) a new hope has arrived