PDA

View Full Version : Without online?

PurplenumHaze
Oct 21, 2007, 06:28 PM
Is this game worth buying without online?

Zorafim
Oct 21, 2007, 06:30 PM
No, unless you can buy it without paying full cost. The offline story mode is alright, but the game was meant to be played online. Even the second offline mode, Extra Mode, is near worthless.

Mystil
Oct 21, 2007, 06:31 PM
Agreed. And there is no advanced classes and you'll hit max level in like a couple of hours. On top of the 8-10 missions you'll only get.

Broodstar1337
Oct 21, 2007, 06:32 PM
No. Dear God no.

A2K
Oct 21, 2007, 06:33 PM
Probably not. You might be an exception, though, who knows. In your situation I'd suggest renting it first. Then again, you can find the game for pretty cheap anyway these days...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-10-21 16:34 ]</font>

PurplenumHaze
Oct 21, 2007, 06:37 PM
I have xbl but i only use it for downloads...

Zorafim
Oct 21, 2007, 06:38 PM
Actually, AoI (the expantion) is coming out soon. From what I've seen, its offline mode is actually worth something. You'll miss out on the original story, but it's not something you'll cry over (unless you count Ethan's voice acting...). It also uses your own character, so it kind of combines PSOv1's story and extra mode and expands on it.

I think it may be worth trying AoI if you're only interested in offline.

PALRAPPYS
Oct 21, 2007, 06:41 PM
On 2007-10-21 16:38, Zorafim wrote:
Actually, AoI (the expantion) is coming out soon. From what I've seen, its offline mode is actually worth something. You'll miss out on the original story, but it's not something you'll cry over (unless you count Ethan's voice acting...). It also uses your own character, so it kind of combines PSOv1's story and extra mode and expands on it.

I think it may be worth trying AoI if you're only interested in offline.

Although, he sounds like he'd buy the 360 version. With AoI on 360, I belive you need the original disk as well... but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Psycho_Sonic
Oct 21, 2007, 06:44 PM
Lord, no. Unless AoI's extra mode is severely upgraded from this. And the offline story's terrible to be honest. Online story-line is better, but still 2nd grade script. Seriously, i've never read a worse script in my life.

A2K
Oct 21, 2007, 06:50 PM
Ambition of the Illuminus doesn't have an Extra Mode, I believe, because it isn't necessary--Story Mode uses your own created character. It's set up quite a bit differently as well--free missions from online are available now, I believe, in separate difficulty ranks, just like network mode, but there are also new free missions featuring the new fields in the title (the actual story part of Episode 2, of course, doesn't actually take place in the new areas).

Psycho_Sonic
Oct 21, 2007, 06:55 PM
Oh, wow. I guess AoI is worth getting in that case. BTW, what do you mean by new fields that don't involve the story? You talkin about the PSO areas?

A2K
Oct 21, 2007, 07:01 PM
Ambition of the Illuminus' Story Mode is essentially a tweaked version of Network Mode's Episode 2 with voice acting and CG cut scenes, none of which actually take place in new areas. Old Rozenom City, Habirao Forbidden District, Granigs Mine, et al. are still available offline, though, as non-story free missions.

Coincidentally though, the PSO Episode 1 areas aren't actually among those available offline. Although I believe the PSO costumes are all unlockable there?

Psycho_Sonic
Oct 21, 2007, 07:03 PM
Oooohhh... whoa, PSO lvls aren't offline? Screw that! But the story's just Ep2? Wow. That bites. A lot.

Thank God i'm online.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Psycho_Sonic on 2007-10-21 17:03 ]</font>

A2K
Oct 21, 2007, 09:03 PM
Not as such. I think this is ST's way of preserving the quests long after the servers go down. I wouldn't be particularly surprised if the next installment included Episode 3, although it has been stated that Episode 3 will "end the story arc," as vague as that is.

In any case, it's safe to say Illuminus offers much more offline than its predecessor.