PDA

View Full Version : Why do the 1-Up sponsers run... oddly?

Wallin
Oct 24, 2007, 09:43 PM
I'm glad someone else in the game today noticed besides me - I'm not bashing Sega here really, but why do the 1-Up representatives run like females? Garnett is especially odd because of the clothes and build. I don't really have a problem with it, I just don't understand why you would want it to look that way. Are we the only two people who think this?

RedX
Oct 24, 2007, 09:44 PM
No idea, maybe Sega really hates them?

Nyreal
Oct 24, 2007, 09:44 PM
Maybe Garnett is effeminate?

gryphonvii
Oct 24, 2007, 09:45 PM
because, 1up.... I was going to say something witty, but nothing comes to mind, so sorry.

HFlowen
Oct 24, 2007, 09:46 PM
They're running the same way they did in fasmitsu. Has nothing to do with 1-up in particular.

I think they're supposed to be portrayed as somewhat cowardly since they stand back and watch you fight. I think garnett mentions something about not being able to handle Maggas.

Hath_Wrobo
Oct 24, 2007, 09:47 PM
They run like the Vol Brothers, which if you played story mode, you would have realized they are by far the manliest characters in the game. It's a great compliment, you see.

BlackHat
Oct 24, 2007, 09:47 PM
I lol'd when I saw the purple haired guy. He's like a mix of a gorilla, a female, and Elton John, but without the glasses.

Wallin
Oct 24, 2007, 09:48 PM
On 2007-10-24 19:46, HFlowen wrote:
They're running the same way they did in fasmitsu. Has nothing to do with 1-up in particular.

I think they're supposed to be portrayed as somewhat cowardly since they stand back and watch you fight. I think garnett mentions something about not being able to handle Maggas.

Okay, that's at least an explanation I can live with.

I honestly have no problem with it like I said, I just couldn't understand it if I were in Sam Kennedy's shoes why I would want Sega to make my representative character that way. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif But I guess that makes sense, sort of, LOL.

Edit: And I didn't really play story mode, otherwise I probably wouldn't have paid it much attention.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wallin on 2007-10-24 19:49 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Oct 24, 2007, 09:50 PM
On 2007-10-24 19:47, BlackHat wrote:
I lol'd when I saw the purple haired guy. He's like a mix of a gorilla, a female, and Elton John, but without the glasses.

Ridiculous, Gorillas don't wear glasses.

CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT, A GORILLA WITH GLASSES!!!

BlackHat
Oct 24, 2007, 09:52 PM
http://www.gorillafingers.com/web_images/about_gorilla.jpg

More likely then you think.

HFlowen
Oct 24, 2007, 09:53 PM
My mind has been blown...

gryphonvii
Oct 24, 2007, 09:55 PM
indeed

Skuda
Oct 24, 2007, 10:08 PM
I wonder if the characters are the same as used in famitsu. I don't really see ST changing clothing sets just for NA PSU. Sam's Jacket geometry is altered from the normal one. Not to mention the huge muscles.

beatrixkiddo
Oct 24, 2007, 10:18 PM
Nope, they look just the same.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 24, 2007, 10:19 PM
Why?

Because 1UP is one of the largest sites for video game information in North America.

MrBeans
Oct 24, 2007, 10:46 PM
Nice one, Logik. It's gotten to the point where i just close my eyes and hit A and X till i hear my guy attack. This isn't promoting 1UP, it's making us hate it.

Wubbie
Oct 24, 2007, 10:48 PM
Ffuzzy, I actually laughed at that witty comment...

The running does not annoying me, actually... Sam Kennedy's ridiculously unproportioned body does, however. Why are his shoulders so big? At least make his torso match...

BlackHat
Oct 24, 2007, 10:53 PM
The model designer was snorting lines of crack.

Meh, beats me.

gryphonvii
Oct 24, 2007, 10:55 PM
trying to look mnly? and looking at a (place random object or person here) for inspiration.

Wallin
Oct 24, 2007, 11:02 PM
Does anyone here even read 1-Up/EGM (or whatever magazine it is) on a normal basis, outside of PSU? I know I don't. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

KTani
Oct 24, 2007, 11:52 PM
All NPCs that show up in cut scenes run like that. Also, "Sam" is one of the dead guys in Ep2 chapter 4. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

AzureBlaze
Oct 25, 2007, 12:31 AM
I asked this in FKL
But it got more interesting here.

As for the topic...
The run could be being used as previously speculated as a 'non combatant' type of run but really they should've specified some other pattern of movement then to just assign girl runs to all the dudes. (What if they get a female for one of the other missions? What's she gonna do different?)

You can also see that Garnett stands differently when he's still, too. Offline a few people do this like an old man on Central Table is hunched, and a yellow cast on Parum will always have his hands on his hips--so they can define 'attitudes' into chars like that. (It would be fun if you could pick how to stand when at rest, wouldn't it?)

The more-curious thing is the people breaking the rules of the charcreate thing or wearing unique clothes no one else can. In poor purpleguy's case, he ended up looking a bit like a gorilla (purple...gorilla...bonzai buddy!) because each arm is nearly the size of his waist but...perhaps if not so over-done it could be beneficial. All the body types are fairly average, as it is now.

I have actually been to 1up.com a few times, they tend to have videos of the latest games etc.--and the site doesn't break my browser with darn 'whizz bang' BSery flash/spamz/w/e like other places with game videos. They also get release dates pretty quickly for stuff that are accurate (Like they posted date confirmation on NiGHTS to get rid of delay rumors almost as soon as Sega said it) So it is an ok spot as a utility for looking at news if there's some game you care about/want media etc.

beatrixkiddo
Oct 25, 2007, 12:59 AM
I read EGM, but have yet to see any mention of PSU. :v

Morganna
Oct 25, 2007, 06:28 AM
Assuming that they consciously chose their own runs, they might be applying what I call the "Montgomery Flea Market" principle: make the commercial/presentation so annoying that you can't help but remember it. If you don't know what the Montgomery Flea Market is, youtube it.

Rashiid
Oct 25, 2007, 06:47 AM
they are all little choir boys.

TranceZiggy
Oct 25, 2007, 07:41 AM
Warning.

Don't use offensive language.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skuda on 2007-10-25 11:41 ]</font>

Rizen
Oct 25, 2007, 07:44 AM
*silently laughs to himself about the comments in the thread*

ThEoRy
Oct 25, 2007, 09:20 AM
It's not the running that bothers me. It's the odd way he stares at you while he... "evaluates" you...

princejake2
Oct 25, 2007, 12:31 PM
I read EGM. Good mag but their April Fools jokes are evil. IIRC, they started the "Sonic in Melee" rumor.

mizukage
Oct 25, 2007, 12:58 PM
On 2007-10-24 19:43, Wallin wrote:
I'm glad someone else in the game today noticed besides me - I'm not bashing Sega here really, but why do the 1-Up representatives run like females? Garnett is especially odd because of the clothes and build. I don't really have a problem with it, I just don't understand why you would want it to look that way. Are we the only two people who think this?

Maybe, they just like to look that way. Visual kei? And no, that's not the same thing as gay..

Kylie
Oct 25, 2007, 01:02 PM
@s901UP!

*cough* Yeah, I noticed that too. Sam Kennedy's character reminds me of Forrest Gump.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2007-10-25 11:03 ]</font>

CelestialBlade
Oct 25, 2007, 01:19 PM
They should replace the Dilnazen model in Online Story Mode's HIVE mission with a SEED-Sam Kennedy model.