PDA

View Full Version : It just doesn't make any sense

BigBadWolf
Oct 27, 2007, 02:07 PM
Why do people insist on doing "Speed Runs" during 1Up cup. In Neudaiz it doesn't make sense to me. If you're trying to get at least 8 then on both those missions getting all the mobs + chips is a guaranteed access to Ex mission.

Killing the mobs, although not necessary, nets more exp per mission and it only takes a minute to do. And for those going for speed runs then you can get 10 instead of 8 each time, which adds to the 1Up Cup tally points, rewarding everyone with bonuses, including themselves!

Also, I'll be upfront, it's not fun doing missions having to worry about the time. In the twenty or less minutes a player can do a speed run, a lot of stuff can happen, someone has to go afk for an emergency, they d/c, someone forgets something which slows things down. Any of these things can happen a kill a speed run just like that, so you spent those 20mins for null, whereas by spending that one extra minute killing all the mobs, Ex mission is guaranteed.

Someone please explain to me how that 1 minute is worth losing those extra 250% exp bonus mobs, losing those two points for the server-wide bonus, and sabatoging the entire run if something happens to one member of the team.

bahk
Oct 27, 2007, 02:12 PM
Maybe the level 100's don't want extra exp? Maybe it's more fun for them that way? Maybe, just maybe not everyone is like you?

Libram
Oct 27, 2007, 02:21 PM
I was told that the points earned in the EX missions count towards the 1up total. If that's true then speed runs will get people to EX missions faster, and those give out far more points than the Cup missions.

I'm not sure if the above is true or not, so confirmation would be nice.

Kion
Oct 27, 2007, 02:25 PM
For Parum, speed runs could be done in 8 minutes for 8 points compared to killing all the mobs that took 20 minutes and counter for 10 points. So for points/time, speed runs are actually better to contribute to the prizes, and the main focus is getting rares from the ex missions anyways. and even skipping several enmies, the exp is still considderable and comes out to about 40k for most a missions.
so for points per time spent, exp and drops; there's no advantage to taking the time to kill everything.

in neudaiz tho, the only enemies that can be skipped are the one's through the teleport, and that might be worth taking the extra minute to do, but it's really not a big deal.

l_Will_l
Oct 27, 2007, 02:55 PM
Me and my party does neudaiz speed runs. But we also clear all the mobs just in case. that way if something does happen, we still get ex runs. Even to get S Rank in A were still doing it in 20 min tops.

BigBadWolf
Oct 27, 2007, 02:58 PM
On 2007-10-27 12:12, bahk wrote:
Maybe the level 100's don't want extra exp? Maybe it's more fun for them that way? Maybe, just maybe not everyone is like you?

You make it sound like I'm the only one that goes for the kills. I AM NOT.
I've been in plenty of parties where ppl go for the kills instead of time for the above reasons, and very few that do "speedruns". I'm talking about Neudaiz here, not Parnum.

And personally I don't really care which way ppl get to the ex mission. It's just that unless someone tells me otherwise I'm going to go for the kills, and I got in trouble twice for that, which prompted me to make this post.

the Ex mission itself doesn't factor in because you get the Ex mission regardless of whether you do it with all the mobs kills, or time. In order for that one 1extra minute to negate the bonus, you would have to be doing the mission at least 18times in a row without interuptions just to break even, and I don't think that's possible with a pick up group. Otherwise the extra minute and the extra two points nets a higher 1Up server bonus.

Niered
Oct 27, 2007, 03:39 PM
Ok, you COULD kill all the monsters thereby getting an 8, allowing you to do the EX Mission. This could take you, oh, say 30 minutes.

Or you could kill only the required monsters, and get an 8 on a speed run, also allowing you to do the EX mission. This would take, at most 20 minutes.

But since your constantly going to be killing monsters in either scenario, (assuming the intermissions between missions is short) Your getting roughly the same amount of EXP.

Like you said, the 1Up server bonus could factor into this, but thats doubtful. Most people simply dont care enough about that.

XenithFlare
Oct 27, 2007, 04:16 PM
I've never seen getting a 10 on Neudaiz only adding a single minute of time as opposed to getting an 8.

Then again, I can never get my "friends" to part from the parties they're with, and am therefore stuck with randoms, so maybe that's why I'm lucky to finish the mission within the 27min time limit. <_<;

buzyb77
Oct 27, 2007, 04:19 PM
On 2007-10-27 14:16, XenithFlare wrote:
I've never seen getting a 10 on Neudaiz only adding a single minute of time as opposed to getting an 8.

Then again, I can never get my "friends" to part from the parties they're with, and am therefore stuck with randoms, so maybe that's why I'm lucky to finish the mission within the 27min time limit. <_<;

funny thing is on my ALT I have a 10 in C and B ..he can't getinto A... But my Main has yet to get a 10...WTF.. 144 mobs..where are the ones I am Missing?..

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 27, 2007, 04:40 PM
On 2007-10-27 14:19, buzyb77 wrote:

funny thing is on my ALT I have a 10 in C and B ..he can't getinto A... But my Main has yet to get a 10...WTF.. 144 mobs..where are the ones I am Missing?..

Before you warp in B1, goggle and shoot the tree, then hit the switch, then warp. Unless you're missing other enemies, but the rest are right in the middle of the path, so...

BigBadWolf
Oct 27, 2007, 04:49 PM
before the first warp, there's a tree you can cut down with a switch on it. If you hit the switch then it will teleport you to the remaining mobs you need to kill.

That's what I'm saying it's not like it's terribly out of the way or anything. There's no way it'll take more than 1min to kill those extra mobs for the guaranteed 8.

Yet people are adamant about skipping that part. Why? Because it's easier? Not really when you crunch the numbers.
But it's like what Niered said, some ppl just don't care. That's the only reason that makes sense to me.

And I'd even be fine with that too. But it irks me when the very same ppl talk about how their worried that they won't get 8 this run because of such and such happens. Well, then who's fault is that? The leader's fault for not deciding to take out all the mobs.

It's like running a red light to save a few minutes, but then worrying about the fact you have no insurance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigBadWolf on 2007-10-27 15:05 ]</font>