PDA

View Full Version : so is this as good as pso?

brittanysdadd
Oct 31, 2007, 01:01 PM
pso had TONS of rares that were hard to find, amazing bosses, is this game asa good? whats the level cap? how unique are the items? i expect so much from PSU

Jaspaller
Oct 31, 2007, 01:03 PM
It's different yet it retains many thing from PSO. A lot of the fun factor that PSO had just doesn't seem to be in there. Also it's a HELL of a lot more grinding, and teamplay is pretty much emphasized. There's lots of rares out there, and the expansion is going to be adding onto that. Whether its better is opinion, lots of people found it to be better, however others were turned off and moved back to PSO. Check out some of the gameplay vids, download the demo if you have a 360, or rent it if you have a PS2 (or torrent it for PC if you are really willing to do that).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jaspaller on 2007-10-31 11:05 ]</font>

brittanysdadd
Oct 31, 2007, 01:06 PM
hows the community? i have the demo, and it sux!!

the people that play really late at night are preetty cool tho, no spammers

Jaspaller
Oct 31, 2007, 01:09 PM
The demo is crap, that is all that needs to be said about it when it comes to playing with others there. Basically all the good stuff isn't there, and the community on the official game is MUCH better (however you do run into your jackasses now and then that boot you for whatever reason).

BlackHat
Oct 31, 2007, 01:13 PM
On 2007-10-31 11:09, Jaspaller wrote:
(however you do run into your jackasses now and then that boot you for whatever reason).

He had mother fucking Rappies ._.

brittanysdadd
Oct 31, 2007, 01:13 PM
thanx dude i appreciate the help.

this game has always had a romantic feel to it
id hate to have people ruin it. im gonna get it tho

do i have to pay with a credit card?

<asks to many questions>

Jaspaller
Oct 31, 2007, 01:15 PM
As far as I know, yes, you do need to pay with CC

BlackHat
Oct 31, 2007, 01:15 PM
On 2007-10-31 11:13, brittanysdadd wrote:
thanx dude i appreciate the help.

this game has always had a romantic feel to it
id hate to have people ruin it. im gonna get it tho

do i have to pay with a credit card?

<asks to many questions>

I think so.

brittanysdadd
Oct 31, 2007, 01:16 PM
alright. i think that covers all my Q's

see you online eventually i guess

Im uh...<needs a new name online>

Dosah!

Tomeeboy
Oct 31, 2007, 01:26 PM
If you're just now picking up PSU, it's a pretty good time to do so. The expansion, Ambitions of the Illuminus, will be released next month and will include some really great additions to many features that had some room for improvement.

Kinako78
Oct 31, 2007, 01:30 PM
The features I'll probably get the most use out of are:

A) The ability to teleport to any lobby, whether a party is there or not.
B) The ability to send items to your common box from the lobby.
C) The auto-follow ability. (No more getting left behind when I go afk. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

Not saying those are the only useful additions. Just the ones I'll use the most.

Zael
Oct 31, 2007, 01:31 PM
It's better in any and every way.

brittanysdadd
Oct 31, 2007, 01:33 PM
yea i also read that old PSO weapons will be added? i cant wait, i miss my yasha

Zorafim
Oct 31, 2007, 01:35 PM
Is this as good as PSO? No. It surpasses it in many aspects, but as a whole it's not as good of a game.
It's still enjoyable, and has a similar style. Definitely worth getting into.

brittanysdadd
Oct 31, 2007, 01:37 PM
yea...pso was toooo perfect. the only complaint i had was the modders and the fact that it was practically a dating site lol

BlackHat
Oct 31, 2007, 01:45 PM
On 2007-10-31 11:30, Kinako78 wrote:
The features I'll probably get the most use out of are:

A) The ability to teleport to any lobby, whether a party is there or not.
B) The ability to send items to your common box from the lobby.
C) The auto-follow ability. (No more getting left behind when I go afk. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

Not saying those are the only useful additions. Just the ones I'll use the most.

The auto follow? What's that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

brittanysdadd
Oct 31, 2007, 01:49 PM
you can follow some one just by clicking on them, like when your afk

DavidNel
Oct 31, 2007, 01:51 PM
PSU is really good, but it just isn't the same as PSO. PSU has better graphics and much more emphasis on team play, where as PSO wasn't. Also, PSO had a lot more rares than PSU has now, but that should be changing as AOTI starts comming out!

Crimson_HUmar
Oct 31, 2007, 01:58 PM
The grinding in Aoi will be almost like PSO where your weapon doesnt break however it can fail and make your wep base stats again, but you can keep trying atleast.

Enemies wont be as annoying as in PSU where they hit thin air and it manages to hit u anyways.

Also low level characters wont have such a hard time on high lev missions.

Also Normal attacks wont be useless like in PSU, they will actually fill the PP gauge for the PA's adding more use to normal attacks when you no longer have photon chargers you can re-fill it yourself! and thats not all! there are timed attacks, if you hit the enemy with pressision you will hit him criticaly and recover more PP than usual attacks. Remember blocking? you now can take vengance and counter attack the enemy dealing critical damage.

The dull fighting of PSU will turn into a strategic and just fight!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Crimson_HUmar on 2007-10-31 12:03 ]</font>

Kinako78
Oct 31, 2007, 02:00 PM
On 2007-10-31 11:49, brittanysdadd wrote:
you can follow some one just by clicking on them, like when your afk

Clicking? Does that mean it's a PC-only feature?

brittanysdadd
Oct 31, 2007, 02:04 PM
nono lol my fault, its on everything

Crimson_HUmar
Oct 31, 2007, 02:06 PM
She means that you can attach by a yellow link line your character to another character and your character follows him/her without you having to worry about using your controller.

Useful for typing and AFKness?

Dont know what buttons you press to activate auto follow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Crimson_HUmar on 2007-10-31 12:07 ]</font>

brittanysdadd
Oct 31, 2007, 02:16 PM
anyone have anyone have any idea what the new weapons are?

Kinako78
Oct 31, 2007, 02:18 PM
On 2007-10-31 12:04, brittanysdadd wrote:
nono lol my fault, its on everything

Oh...whew...thank goodness.

Zorafim
Oct 31, 2007, 02:19 PM
So, you mean, we can actually chat now?

Kinako78
Oct 31, 2007, 02:20 PM
Sounds like it.

brittanysdadd
Oct 31, 2007, 02:22 PM
well..someone has to lead... so i guess its not flawless. but hell its gonna be a great expansion

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 31, 2007, 02:24 PM
PSU is better than PSO in every way. Only those who are lost to nostalgia think otherwise.

Zorafim
Oct 31, 2007, 02:28 PM
On 2007-10-31 12:24, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
PSU is better than PSO in every way. Only those who are lost to nostalgia think otherwise.

Heh, I've definitely spent too much time in Gamefaqs. This statement made me laugh.

brittanysdadd
Oct 31, 2007, 02:29 PM
Im lost in nastalga... but its cool, pso was like another world rather than a game\

im not wierd....

Zorafim
Oct 31, 2007, 02:34 PM
Oh no, not at all. There are just games that are like that. Games so good, you feel more like you're living in another world than you feel like you're just passing time. PSU is almost there, but the teleportation and small linear mission areas kind of drive away from it.

Just, erm, never play any MMOs. Those are other worlds.

Jaspaller
Oct 31, 2007, 02:46 PM

Quoted for lol

Zael
Oct 31, 2007, 02:47 PM

The truth.

Zorafim
Oct 31, 2007, 02:49 PM
You know, this is the only forum I've ever been to where that's been said as an actual answer.

galaxy
Oct 31, 2007, 02:54 PM
its true, though. honestly i think the only area in which PSO is better is the free play aspect, where you could drop into a game and just run from forest to ruins. missions existed, but you didnt have to play them. really though, i think PSU has expanded in every other aspect. if they introduced long, free play zones into PSU at some point, it will rise above PSO. even still, PSU is far more enjoyable and engaging, in my opinion.

Shou
Oct 31, 2007, 02:58 PM
After AotI is released yes. And not a minute sooner.

Zorafim
Oct 31, 2007, 03:13 PM
PSU improves on many things that PSO has, but many things are just changed. The combat, for instance, I will not say is better than PSO's. I found it to be much more fun being a PSO hunter than a PSU hunter, due to the fact that I had a strategy for every monster and could dodge their attacks if I was paying attention. PSU's large hit boxes (I'm hoping this turns out not to be an issue in AoI), the fact that enemies don't get stunned if preforming certain actions, and the vulnerability from PAs diminishes the PSU hunter experience. I can't really speak about rangers and forces, but I think I can say that PSU's version is more fun to play by a bit.

Like you said, I also don't like the whole "hotspot" thing. Having to traverse a large distance to join a party, while interesting in large MMOs, is tiresome in a pickup and play game such as this. Often, simply due to traversing to the hotspot, I only have time for a run or two before quitting. I'm spending a considerable amount of timing going to the area where I might find a party, assuming there are any parties there at all. Again, AoI is improving on it, but I much prefered PSO's party-where-you-want thing.

There's also the issue of style. PSO had an interesting style, probably due to Sega's risk taking at that time. PSU feels like a common anime, which is really its style. This is really a preference thing, and many of PSU's areas are rather unique (Neudaiz missions, Guardian's colony, and Moatoob outside missions come to mind), but there was an air that PSO had that made it special.

I'm just bringing up points against PSU, since I hate arguments that are presumed to be conclusive (that's how fights start). PSU has great things about it that PSO can't match, such as nice animations, incredible customization (you can choose your eyelashes. What other game has that?), and flexibility in playstyle. But I will never say that PSU tops PSO hands down.

majan
Oct 31, 2007, 03:33 PM
this game is deeper,faster,more fun,and infinitely more interesting than PSO.IMO,the only thing that PSO has over this game is a soundtrack and the olga flow boss battle.other than that,its a completely different and more intersting game.

edit:dont get me wrong,Im a pso-loyalist to the bone,but this game trumps it,I have to say.I totally loved PSO.I mean you all who are stuck in nostalgia no harm.I'm there too,just in spirit.too busy to be totally in nostalgia when this game trumps it the way it does.

where PSO was repetetive and obnoxious,this game is still quite repetetive but there is infinitely more things you can do with your character.photon arts,or I should say the wide array of them, are the bane of repetetive gameplay.the item system is leaps and bounds past what PSO accomplished,which says a lot becuase there was quite an interesting setup in PSO.this game trumps it,and the synthesis system is rather cheap,but the concept kicks total ass.it's getting fixed in the expansion anyway, and that hits in 3 weeks or so.sign me up.

the only thing I'd have asked for is a bit more variety and uniqueness to the weaponry,but poof there it'll be in the expansion,too,along with a slew of other new stuff.
then it's on to ridiculously deep character customization options both initially appearance wise and throughout the game as to the way you play it.I will say that there is quite a bit of grinding to be done though,but again,the expansion will make things a little smoother on all fronts,and things wont be so grind-and-grind-till-you-can't-see-straight type of deal.itll still be a challenge obvoiusly but the game will be much more fun to play.

the game kicks ass,rest assured,and the expansion is going to be even more awesome.

I have one beef with this game,and probably will have the same one with the expansion:level caps,and locked material.every 2 weeks, we receive "unlocked content" off of the disc that they didnt load onto the server all at once,for some very odd unknown reason.a frustrating but minor gripe in an otherwise kick-ass experience that you will be addicted to and enjoy every minute of it.

join us.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: majan on 2007-10-31 13:38 ]</font>

Jaspaller
Oct 31, 2007, 04:00 PM
Nostalgia? Not everybody that agrees PSO is better is saying it due to nostalgia. PSU's setup is going in a different direction with cons and pros. Saying one is better than the other is just a matter of opinion. Everything on PSU is just prettied up so its harder for others to go back to a community of NOTHING.

The games are different, in there own ways. It's not always nostalgia that is the case. I still enjoy it because I find the gameplay to be more relaxing and enjoyable when playing with a full party.

EDIT: A mod should just lock this, this is going to turn into a huge sackriding flamefest anyways.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jaspaller on 2007-10-31 14:03 ]</font>

Dragwind
Oct 31, 2007, 04:21 PM
There are certain similarities, but not many. PSO and PSU have very different stories and gameplay. IMO, I think I love the gameplay a bit more than PSO. The story of PSO I loved, yes, but PSU's is starting to get more interesting. I'd say give it a try, and see how you like the gameplay.

Serephim
Oct 31, 2007, 04:32 PM
Is it a better game than PSO? Yes.

Is it a better effort than PSO? Perhaps, yes.

Does it have the amount of content PSO has? Hells to the naw.

PSU doesnt have the 6-7 years of stacked content PSOBB has, so dont expect it to.

But looking at the content of the Expansion and the amount of awesome rares and unique looking weapons (Ive seen some AoI rares that wipe PSO's clear out the water) , im sure the expansion will make most of us feel like PSU is more of a half game than otherwise.

Oh, and the reason PSUv1 has so much grinding is because the level cap is half of what it should be. Be noted that AoI level cap is 200, and the Difficulty of PSU can get alot worse than that of PSO, so endgame players im sure can have some fun.

Not to mention, PSU's depth is twofold that of PSOs.

And i agree with whoever said PSU is better than PSO in just about every aspect, save for music. PSO's music theme was amazing, i cant beleive they ditched it for that horrible piece of cliche anime bullshit they call a "main theme".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-10-31 14:36 ]</font>

Iduno
Oct 31, 2007, 04:49 PM
I prefered PSO's general atmospere, the weapons (there was more exitement with a weapon drop because you could'nt just switch bullets or something to get the atributes you wanted on that gun or the ability you wanted (also having to take it to a tekker added to the exitement as it could have anything you just didn't know yet))
On PSU its just "O this weapon's stats are a bit better thats nice" or in most cases "O another *insert weapon here*" and it goes in the shop

Also those robots that could turn invisible in episode 2 were a nice touch and kept you on your toes

btw. Mags for the win ^_^

Iduno
I prefered PSO's general atmospere, the weapons (there was more exitement with a weapon drop because you could'nt just switch bullets or something to get the atributes you wanted on that gun or the ability you wanted (also having to take it to a tekker added to the exitement as it could have anything you just didn't know yet))
On PSU its just "O this weapon's stats are a bit better thats nice" or in most cases "O another *insert weapon here*" and it goes in the shop

Also those robots that could turn invisible in episode 2 were a nice touch and kept you on your toes

Iduno

Iduno

Iduno

Wallin
Oct 31, 2007, 05:00 PM
I was thinking about this the other day? Does anyone remember the PC demo when PSO first came out, and all you got to do was create a character, go to Forest as a level 1, kill the dragon, then your stats would get reset and you'd do it over and over again, and thought it was the greatest thing ever?

Those were the days... LOL

bahk
Oct 31, 2007, 05:04 PM
On 2007-10-31 15:00, Wallin wrote:
I was thinking about this the other day? Does anyone remember the PC demo when PSO first came out, and all you got to do was create a character, go to Forest as a level 1, kill the dragon, then your stats would get reset and you'd do it over and over again, and thought it was the greatest thing ever?

Those were the days... LOL

Anyone remember when PSU came out and all we got to do was create a character, go to Parum, and kill De Ragan 18,000 times until we hit level 60 because that was one of the maybe 3 missions out back then, and everyone thought it was the worst thing ever and left this game to rot, resulting in our now horridly low population with little to no hope for future salvation?

Those were the days...

Zorafim
Oct 31, 2007, 05:06 PM
On 2007-10-31 14:54, Jaspaller wrote:
Wow, is this a new record that's like 6 posts or something in a row. I know you wanna get your point across but 6+ posts isn't gonna help lol.

8. But who's counting?

majan
Oct 31, 2007, 06:58 PM
this is actually a really interesting discussion.

yes,atmospherically,Id say that PSO had a small edge,generally speaking.this is mainly because of the sound track,but I can vouch that most of the level design isnt as cool or atmospheric as PSO's.grove of fanatics is awesome,and the hive is nice,both in terms of aesthetics and the music,but anything outdoors in this game(especially neudaiz) does not have nearly good enough graphics to be as "pretty" as it aspires to be.neudaiz has entierly too much running around in almost every single mission that isnt in the temple or a relic site.the music on neudaiz sounds like something Id be listening to during a professional massage in somebody's backyard or something.parum outdoors is a disaster on all fronts.the music is something out of a horrible techno-orchestral lovechild,and the areas are frightfully dull.you can say the same about forest 1 and 2 and watever but they just had a much better feel to them.you wnt to talk atmosphere?notihng in this game can duplicate the seabed.nothing.from the absolutely bone-chillingly haunting orchestral tune to the foggy tunnel that led to olga flow,to the elevator shaft battle,I get goosebumps just reminiscing.dont even start me about the control tower.who remembers the Ill Gills?they were fuckin horrifying.theres scary enemies in PSU but nothing quite makes me say oh,I'm fucked,like an Ill Gill did.I do not forsee any of this feelings with any PSU mission,but on the whole I still stand by my decision:psu stands far above its predecessor like a new and improved warrior over an old tired legendary king of sorts.

a huge thing about PSU that people dont often talk about very much is how different it is from PSO in the character damage category,and how rewarding the game is.when you level up in PSU ,you can expect a 8-10 damage increase.plus,damage fluctuates now where in PSO you were essentailly doing the same exact damage every single strike until you levelled up or got a better weapon or TECH disk.in the first case,your damage almost ALWAYS went up by 1 point.the only noticeable increases in damage output was when you got a better weapon.in PSU, when you level up or a photon art levels up,you know it,and are satisfied deeply.grinding was worth it,where,in PSO you grinded just to get to level 152 to equip that aura field,not to get the power that was associated with.deband in PSO > deband and zodial in PSU,though.if oyu used jellen + deband in PSO that made the difference betweeny ou taking 350 damage and 50.in PSO that diference is between 450 and 320 if you are lucky.sure this makes it more challenging but why even bother leveling the shit up?this is one small thing that is not as rewarding as PSO.the rest of PSU shits all over PSO in terms of how rewarding it is.

Remedy
Oct 31, 2007, 07:17 PM
On 2007-10-31 11:35, Zorafim wrote:
Is this as good as PSO? No. It surpasses it in many aspects, but as a whole it's not as good of a game. I think the community has a great deal to do with that. It's lacking something that PSO's community always had.

Edit: Left a couple of words out that made that sentence not make sense. :|

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Remedy on 2007-10-31 17:18 ]</font>

Arika
Oct 31, 2007, 07:39 PM
PSU is not a better version of PSO
,but PSU is better game than PSO

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arika on 2007-10-31 17:48 ]</font>

physic
Oct 31, 2007, 07:44 PM
pso was cool and fun, but it was developed over years pso pso v2 pso gc psu blue burst. so it is a very refined piece of work. so question is what will psu be in 4 releases? hopefully st abandons their slow style of releasing. I will tell you that fighting in aoi is a lot more entertaining, and btw i wouldnt say that there is no strategy in fighting, its just that, like pso, until there was challenge mode, there was no need to play with skill. SOOOOOO if psu gets challenge mode, it shall rule for 1 million years

Arika
Oct 31, 2007, 07:47 PM
:
PSO was so perfect.....

I think PSO is really imbalance lol a lot overpower and a lot underpower

Mystil
Oct 31, 2007, 07:51 PM
The other thing PSU has over PSO is the absence of the real deal hacking. The only "real deal hacking" PSU had was room hacking. PSO had every hack problem known to man, and the community was divided. Legits didn't trust legits, etc etc, it was really screwed up. This all occured towards the last few months of PSO.

PSO has better music
PSO has the jungles
PSO was full from the very start. Not update to update.
PSO was multi-regional. Everybody played with everybody. None of this, JP seperate from the rest of the world that is present in PSU.
PSO did not have mass quitters at the first 3 damn months of the game like PSU. We all stuck together for the whole first two years before people vanished.

I miss those days big time. No online game will ever be as good as PSO.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 31, 2007, 07:58 PM
On 2007-10-31 17:51, Mystil wrote:

I miss those days big time. No online game will ever be as good as PSO.

That's called nostalgia.

PSO was one hell of a shitty game. PSU is shitty too, just very much less so.

BanF
Oct 31, 2007, 08:22 PM
IMNSHO, being one of the (seemingly) few persons who still play both games, PSU blows PSO out of the water.

omegapirate2k
Oct 31, 2007, 08:32 PM
I was recently playing blue burst, actually, that game is crap compared to PSU, I honestly don't know how people can say it's better with a straight face :/

SolomonGrundy
Oct 31, 2007, 08:36 PM
majan hit it very close. A few other things:

materials really went a long was in customising your character. In PSU, every male cast figunner has the same stats. in PSO, you could pick what you wanted. Don't like evade? pick a race with a low base value and never eat an evade matierial. This was especially fun with hunerwearls, who could go in a bunch of directions. mags further added to this. Parner machines are supposed to add a level of customization, but really don't

Also I defintely miss options for units and force gear: shields which made ONE tech do lot more damage, or red/blue/yellow shields which made all of that element do more.

I feel the new armor system is pretty screwed up too, but there were certainly things in PSO that had isues. Like how mechguns pretty much owned every other weapon :-/

Zorafim
Oct 31, 2007, 08:51 PM
I want to add something else. PSU's hunter combat feels sort of like an MMO style of combat, almost, or that of a strategy game. It feels like, once you or the enemy makes a decision, you go through with it. Be this long PAs, or unflinchable attacks.

PSO didn't have this, at least not that I can remember. If you got hit, you got stunned. If the enemy got hit, they were stunned. On average, both attacked quickly enough to bob and weave through attacks and trade in blows in between. In other words, it felt a bit more like a fighting game.

I'm exaggerating a bit when I say Fighting Game and Strategy Game, but that's what it feels like to me. PSU's melee combat seems stale and bland, while PSO's felt, erm, "fun".

Seira7
Oct 31, 2007, 08:52 PM
I think the thing I loved most about PSO was the atmosphere, Im a big time science fiction addict and the game made me actually feel like I was in another world. PSU is pretty, for sure, but I dont get that other-worldly science fiction feeling from it *shrug*

I also miss the short vignette-type quests that were loopy and cute at the same time, like the cake sisters and such.

But as much as I love PSO, the last time I played my main I corrupted, and as I refuse to play a game like PSU on a pc of all things, I went back to PSU on my 360.

I think overall, the music, ambience, story, unique enemy AI/design and dungeon design of PSO has PSU trumped, but they are improving PSU with time, and it holds promise. Thank god the input come from the JP players, and not from us, because its tiring to see the type of people who played PSO a long time and now PSU, and feel like even the mention of PSO (a game they played for years) is crappy nostalgia.

omegapirate2k
Oct 31, 2007, 08:54 PM
On 2007-10-31 18:51, Zorafim wrote:
I want to add something else. PSU's hunter combat feels sort of like an MMO style of combat, almost, or that of a strategy game. It feels like, once you or the enemy makes a decision, you go through with it. Be this long PAs, or unflinchable attacks.

PSO didn't have this, at least not that I can remember. If you got hit, you got stunned. If the enemy got hit, they were stunned. On average, both attacked quickly enough to bob and weave through attacks and trade in blows in between. In other words, it felt a bit more like a fighting game.

I'm exaggerating a bit when I say Fighting Game and Strategy Game, but that's what it feels like to me. PSU's melee combat seems stale and bland, while PSO's felt, erm, "fun".

On the flip side, I prefer PA's to PSO's combat.

Elley
Oct 31, 2007, 10:18 PM
As good as PSO? From what I've played of PSO, this is better by far.

HyperShot-X-
Oct 31, 2007, 10:49 PM
"so is this as good as pso? "

...the only way to find out for urself whether apple is as good as orange is to ... taste it urself.

no matter how different they are, both are PS franchise online games from ST/Sega, it's just that PSU is an inevitable evolution of PSO, technically more advanced and developed over the years.

for the sake of discussion tho, it might be better to compare them based on the timeline of game release on both series, back in the days of PSO v1 on dreamcast and the 1st yr of PSU... it wasn't until PSO Ep.II on GC & Xbox all the online missions & C/B-modes were released and lvl cap was up to 200.

so, just dont expect to get 'PSO ep.5' kind of game when you play PSU, just accept PSU for what it is and try to appreciate developer's different approach to the franchise and their effort to revive the aged but legendary PSO series.

if u try to taste apple for the 1st time expecting the same kind of good taste as organge that you been used to for so many yrs, then you'll be disappointed at 1st. It just takes time to get into the new system for some ppl but once you get into it, it'd be hard go back to the old.

kohelhunter
Oct 31, 2007, 11:02 PM
The theme in the old pso was much darker than in psu. Personally if i had to shoose id say pso however sega had great ideas with this but poor execution with many things in psu.

Zorafim
Oct 31, 2007, 11:05 PM
I'm assuming that they're just building up in PSU. If you read the comic and got to the end of story mode, you can see where the game is going towards.

SolomonGrundy
Nov 1, 2007, 02:17 AM
On 2007-10-31 18:51, Zorafim wrote:

I think having enemies that can rotate on a dime, and have moves they cannot be knocked out of contributed to this greatly: once a polhavora/kamatoze/dru gorha rears up, it IS going to stomp, and there is nothing that can be done to stop it, short of killing it.

..and I don't like it. What's the point of juggling PAs if they don't juggle, and an enemy can decide, at any time, to do a move that it cannot be knocked out of?

zandra117
Nov 1, 2007, 11:50 AM
On 2007-10-31 13:33, majan wrote:
this game is deeper,faster,more fun,and infinitely more interesting than PSO.IMO,the only thing that PSO has over this game is a soundtrack and the olga flow boss battle.other than that,its a completely different and more intersting game.

You obviously ran TTF 24/7 in PSO and not much else. PSO's story is far deeper than PSU's story.

In PSU I find myself idling in lobbies more than actually playing simply because the fighting in PSU is annoying. In PSO there was room for tactical strategy in battle and no matter how manny times you got owned by an enemy it was still interesting. The fighting system in PSU is too much of a button masher and when an enemy takes too long to kill you just want to quit because you cant make any strategic variations in your attacking style.

Then theres the atmosphere of the game. In PSO you felt like you had to do something about the situation. Your home planet, Coral, is gone. You and the last of your civilization is stuck in orbit around a planet that you have to settle on or die in space. Half of your civilization that had already landed dissapeared without a trace and an evil demon from 2986 years ago is preventing you from landing in your new home. Meanwhile in PSU everyone is happy and settled in to their planets while a parasite/virus/alien lifeform is attacking the system. But dont worry, the attacks can be easily quarantined and dealt with. The guardians can handle it, they are just doing their job. But wait theres another more threatening enemy, oh yeah they are just terrorists. No impending doom or ancient incarnation of all that is evil. Just chaos and paranoia.

Jaspaller
Nov 1, 2007, 11:54 AM
Uh oh, do you hear that? It's an even bigger shit storm coming! http://smiliesftw.com/x/turbonoes_3.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

Raine_Loire
Nov 1, 2007, 12:41 PM
the pso version I played the most was the original DC version. For me, it was the best game ever because it was the first time I had ever played an online game like that before. I was like "Whoa! these are PEOPLE!!" and that was really cool.

But, in all honesty, after a while it got boring. I liked that you could level your character offline, and do those missions (favorite= the fake in yellow!!!) But eventually, it was like "What run do you want to do? Forest? No. Caves? No. Mines? No. Ruins? No. Ummm... What else? Did I say forest?"

But in PSU there is a lot of tedium as well. I've gotten to 45 because of the 1 up cup, but before that it took me FOREVER to level. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how people are getting all the meseta they have to pay a mil for ONE weapon. The most I've ever had was 300k, and that didn't even get me a better rod! The drops were better in PSO, and there were more people who would help you out and give you stuff (ok, it was probably all duped anyway). The music is... awful, and I fall asleep a lot while I'm in the middle of a mission (I'm dead serious- when I solo, I pass out a lot!) And of course shop prices tick me off.

I know a lot of the issues I have with Shops will be addressed in AoI, and there will be a lot more changes than there were between PSO v1 and v2 (increased level cap, a couple new jobs, some new clothes, and new missions in "ultimate" mode were the selling point for V2!) But all in all, I have to say, the games weigh evenly in my mind. They each have their faults, and hopefully ST will go as far in polishing up PSU as they did PSO. Bringing back the original missions is going to be a nice touch, I think.

But if you asked me which is better- FFXI or PSU, I'd have a more definitive answer for you!!!!

Iduno
Nov 1, 2007, 12:45 PM
forgot to mention this and this may just be because I never got online with PSO and nearly always soloed (also split screen multiplayer ftw) but PSO seemed a hell of a lot more challenging then PSU and there was a real sense of acheivement in beating a boss to unlock the next level (never could beat olga flow, always died on the 2nd form http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) On psu the bosses certainly seem easier (beat de ragen at lvl 5ish with my hunter and a bunch of similarly leveled players )so it doesn't give much sense of acheivement
In fact the only realy hard level on psu is the hive and then thats only because of the gazorons

brittanysdadd
Nov 1, 2007, 01:05 PM
wow lol i didnt mean to start a game comparing war with this thread. well thanx all for your help. im getting psu. right now im on the demo, but thanks to all of your inputs, my views of psu have gotten better, i hope it has as great a future as pso had

brittanysdadd
Nov 1, 2007, 01:13 PM
ok now its time for my opinion MWAHAHAHA

PSU-from what ive seen so far
Story-its ok but its just an anime, nothing new, the voice acting is pretty horrible, but it does cover alot of gameplay elements
Gameplay-more fun than pso, since im a COLLECTER, im hoping for alot of rares to be poping up. i like the slow leveling, the bosses could use some work though.
music, its ok....

PSO-the story had so much mystery, its like it actually carried you into the game online
gameplay,slow but fun, not alot of tech options, I absoluteley loved the rare monsters
and all the rare items, GOD ITS LIKE A FIELD DAY FOR ME
music....................................pso had perfect music, i swear i cried sometimes listening to it
thanx all

Zorafim
Nov 1, 2007, 01:18 PM
On 2007-11-01 00:17, SolomonGrundy wrote:
I think having enemies that can rotate on a dime, and have moves they cannot be knocked out of contributed to this greatly: once a polhavora/kamatoze/dru gorha rears up, it IS going to stomp, and there is nothing that can be done to stop it, short of killing it.

..and I don't like it. What's the point of juggling PAs if they don't juggle, and an enemy can decide, at any time, to do a move that it cannot be knocked out of?

There we go, those are the reasons. Large hit boxes, random immunities to attacks or attack effects, and quick turning really make it annoying on hunters.

brittanysdadd
Nov 1, 2007, 01:20 PM
one last thing.... will i get obsessed? i did with pso, but that was long ago lol, im engaged now! can i still have fun with this game without living eating and breathing it?

Jaspaller
Nov 1, 2007, 01:21 PM
Do you like grinding a lot? Well hell playing with others is fun but the game is practically level grinding galore! The game gets repetitive and you might end up taking a break like many people I've known have.

brittanysdadd
Nov 1, 2007, 01:24 PM
phew... thats good, besides... everyone knows why anybody plays pso/u.....<to make cool looking chars>

physic
Nov 1, 2007, 02:13 PM
Uhhhh the battle system in psu is actually a lot deeper than pso, and closer to a fighting game than pso was. pso was like a beat em up, you use the same 3 attacks per weapon forever and ever. psu has 3 basic and so far about 3 pas per weapon, as well as 11 or 12 mele weapons. thes ability to change diretion in mid attack. or the fact that you use dif levels of combo in dif situations.

the battle system seems easy/boring because you havent had to use these skills in most times, get hit, get healed, you cant win, get higher level. same as in pso. anyhow psu fight system is miles different with the small addition of Just attacks. because before reg attacks were something you essentially never used.

far as atmosphere and level planning, pso won, and the level progression was very wel executed. They really could add more achievement to psu, like you have to beat x level to play another, or spmething similar. anyhow you really have to compare psu to pso v1. gc was like 3 years later or something

majan
Nov 1, 2007, 02:14 PM
you must get it online.period.my gamertag is hyper vipr if you want to meet up sometime and run some cup missions to level you up quick.

you havent really played the game on the level were talking about till the online has sunk its claws into your jugular.

kohelhunter
Nov 1, 2007, 03:09 PM
I think also a major turn off for psu compared to pso...not meaning to start another fight here....is weapon drops. they happened all the time in pso and not in psu in psu u get a board and then have to craft it with a chance of failure. Peronally i dont like crafting in mmos i like to play the damn game. The satifaction in the old game "look there is a rare i got it!" not look htere is a rare i hope this comes out. kinda limits u on what u want to design your mag and just to me takes away the fun. does anyone else feel this way?

Jaspaller
Nov 1, 2007, 03:32 PM
On 2007-11-01 12:13, physic wrote:
the battle system seems easy/boring because you havent had to use these skills in most times, get hit, get healed, you cant win, get higher level. same as in pso. anyhow psu fight system is miles different with the small addition of Just attacks. because before reg attacks were something you essentially never used.

Uhh, after playing this game, it's been basically nothing but a PA spam fest. That's it. Oh look! There an enemy! I'll just spam the flashiest PA there is to look cool and do damage!

Uh oh, I'm running out of PP... PHOTON CHARGE, Lets do some more PA spamming!

More or less this is basically most of the players of the game, regular attacks are pointless at this moment, and Humans are basically useless compared to Casts and Beasts.

far as atmosphere and level planning, pso won, and the level progression was very wel executed. They really could add more achievement to psu, like you have to beat x level to play another, or spmething similar. anyhow you really have to compare psu to pso v1. gc was like 3 years later or something

I agree with this, It's still the first version and the expansion plans to fix most of the issues... the gameplay is heading in a different direction than PSO for better or worse.

RemiusTA
Nov 1, 2007, 08:24 PM
After playing PSU so long i actully cant stomach PSO anymore. The fighting system is a HUGE step down, and although the music is way better the game is FAR too repetitive.

PSU has grind issues, but PSO gets FAR too repetitive after playing something like PSU.

People just overlook PSU's improvements. For instance, In PSO you have maybe one or two enemies that make you change up your gameplay, but they are all basically just trifles -- you can kill them far too quickly. (Garnaz, Hildebear, Sinow's can all be taken out pretty easily.)

PSU may just remodel enemy AI, but the enemies are just far better than those in PSO. They move, they make formations, they knock you down, they have more than one attack....Its just so much better.

And on top of that, by the time you reach Ultimate Mode in PSO, you are basically just playing to look at the stage. Most of the time while playing PSO i can be half sleep or COMPLETELY zone out due to how routine each stage is. Unless you have an android, you basically know your limits -- if you can survive the hit, you can defeat it. If you cant, just equip as many HP units as you can and hope for the best. The hit timer on PSO completely raped its difficulty depth, and the fact that EVERY hit knocks you down can make the game HIGHLY annoying.

Not to mention that stupid idea of an Evasion system, when your swinging at a monster IN YOUR FACE with a sword that makes it physically impossible to miss...and you miss. Over, and over, and over, and over again.

PSU has monsters that have more attacks than most BOSSES in PSO. They have big ones, HUGE ones, small ones, ones that gang you, ones that retreat you, ones that spit fire and shoot ice, ones that can freeze you, burn you, ram you, jump on you....PSO can NOT, NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT EVER NEVER compete with the action you have in PSU.

PSU is such a better game than PSO that ONLY nostalgia can make you see otherwise. Sure, its music was tons better in quality, and sure the storyline was so horrible that it was actually "mysterious" and in turn made it better, but PSU at this point has no CHOICE but to surpass PSO.

Im expecting AoI to change some minds about this.

Oh, and to everyone complaining about PSU being a "PA FEST", either you a) Have never played any other action game besides PSU, b) never played PSO.

PSO was a "NORMAL--CHARGEATTK--CHARGEATTK--FALLDOWN--RESTA" Fest. I dont see how thats more fun than PSU and i NEVER will.

Oh, and might i make a statement.

Anyone who has not played PSU's Network mode basically has a VOID opinion in this topic. Extra and Storymode PSU is such a downgrade from the actual network mode its not even worth playing after the online segment has been played.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2007-11-01 18:37 ]</font>

superdood22
Nov 1, 2007, 09:10 PM
That whole bullshit about PSUs battle system being better than PSO is well... bullshit.

In PSO, you used 6 buttons for 6 attacks (9 if you include Photon Blasts).

When in PSU you only use what 2 attack buttons (okay 4 if you include rods).

In PSO you could do everything right off the bat from techs to attacks and so on.

Im not saying PSO had the best most advanced battle system but was detailed none the less compared to PSU's, especially at the fact that PSO is a bit of a dated game.

I will agree on PSU giving what everyone wanted out of PSO but in exchange for sacrificing most PSO's charm.

Lets be honest PSO's music is unphased by PSU's dookey music.

The environments in PSO was startling, and they basically had broken every boundary in PSO (I mean that night at the beach mission, the reflections in water and the aquariums and everything was pure genius and amazing).

Imo PSO never got the credit it should have gotten, its a bit depressing to see PSU just in lack of better words fail miserably in the states.

PSO had a much better less laggy battle system (no lag when hitting enemies n all, unlike PSU where when you swing a weapon at thin air it moves so smoothly until you think its gonna do the same in the field and everything just becomes bland and sloppy).

And last but not least, if PSU were to have customization out the wazoo like it should players would come flowing back.

P.S. my grammar is absolutely terrible, please dont hold that against me.

Dragwind
Nov 1, 2007, 09:13 PM
All opinion my man, all opinion.

superdood22
Nov 1, 2007, 09:17 PM
Im not trying to knock PSU or anything but I think it was a bad idea to take good ideas out and try to replace them and w/e (weapon element lights and PM's are a good example of what im talking about). PSU is great overall i suppose, it gets a 6/10. :/

Nyreal
Nov 1, 2007, 09:32 PM
PSU is great, and it improves the system from PSO. I'm not a huge fan of the elements, however, and the technics.

I dislike only being able to use four at a time, and I hate the idea of tech leveling. It was easier when I could just hunt for disks.

Dragwind
Nov 1, 2007, 09:52 PM
I do agree on PA lvl raising. I think that detracts a lot from the focus of the game to some people imo. Then again, PSU would feel a bit more empty without it.

Zael
Nov 1, 2007, 09:55 PM
So you're saying they should've made PSU like PSO? That's got to be the stupidest idea ever.

brittanysdadd
Nov 2, 2007, 12:58 PM
well not exactly like pso... but the item system was amazing, and the new weps... are all the same! they all look like lightsabers!! pso had katanas,torches,giant metal claws....some kinda awesome comet looking wep, and the olga flow sword... even though it was a hack, it was the coolest looking wep ever

Raine_Loire
Nov 3, 2007, 08:43 PM
Well, for me, a FT- former force, the leveling of my techs is far better in PSU than PSO. Do you know how often I had the stats to learn a better tech but I couldn't get the disk to drop? And the elements are sort of the same, I mean PSO had elemental effects on weapons, there just weren't as many. I can't tell you how much I spent trying to get a tekker to identify my item with a higher % of a. beast or whatever. All the enemies had an elemental weakness, too, not just weak to weapons strong against their type... And while it is true that you had 6 customizable buttons in PSO, that was it, so if you needed a tech that you didn't have set, you had to search through the list. I like just having a selection of rods to cycle through. And as far as complaining about grinding in PSU... how on earth did you level in PSO without grinding??? It's the game where I first heard the WORD grinding!!!

I won't argue the mag thing, I miss them, I miss them, I miss them. And Rappies. I remember the first time I got an Al rappy, I had no idea what it was, because it was like my 2nd mission.

The thing I miss the most was how easy it was to play levels alone online, how they changed the enemy density. Also, being able to level your char off line was nice, for the times when I didn't have internet (whenever I stayed at my mom's house- she thinks internet is the devil's tool). Oh, and the weapons... The rod with a hildeblue head on it... Or was it a hildetor? Man I finally got one, and someone broke my dc and disk! I couldn't use my character again!!! Man that sucked. That was when I stopped playing PSO, back in 2001.

Finalzone
Nov 4, 2007, 05:58 AM
On 2007-11-01 19:10, superdood22 wrote:
That whole bullshit about PSUs battle system being better than PSO is well... bullshit.

The ability to quickly switch weapons in PSU , the strafing, the first person perspective (rangers really like that) overcome the six buttons layout from PSO. Since it is possible to handle both handgun and saber (or dagger and staff), PSU is more strategic.

In PSO you could do everything right off the bat from techs to attacks and so on.
I for one am glad regular hunter (and no-tech jobs) can no longer use techniques. You will need to learn to survive without them.

Im not saying PSO had the best most advanced battle system but was detailed none the less compared to PSU's, especially at the fact that PSO is a bit of a dated game.
You feel nostalgic. With the arrival on PA, I don't miss charged attack from PSO. PSU is more strategic as you need to be carefull about the photon attack.

One point, we agree althout I don't care much.

The environments in PSO was startling, and they basically had broken every boundary in PSO (I mean that night at the beach mission, the reflections in water and the aquariums and everything was pure genius and amazing).

Those quests came later in PSOv2 Dreamcast. You need to be patient.

Imo PSO never got the credit it should have gotten, its a bit depressing to see PSU just in lack of better words fail miserably in the states.
It already got credit to be the first succesful online RPG for the console.

PSO had a much better less laggy battle system (no lag when hitting enemies n all, unlike PSU where when you swing a weapon at thin air it moves so smoothly until you think its gonna do the same in the field and everything just becomes bland and sloppy).
PSU has more data and strategu than PSO.

Like other people said, you are too nostagic. PSO had its time, let it go/

Konstanse_Xx
Nov 4, 2007, 06:52 AM
I agree with Finalzone almost entirely, I knew that when I got into this game it wasn't PSO. I do NOT want it to be PSO because I ended up just bloody messing with AR before I quit, I was that bored.

Weapon variety? They all look the same? Saber/Brand/Buster/Pallasch/Gladius? Didn't they look the same except for a recolour? That's what I find moot...Because then you have the Deljabaner, Crimson, Blackheart, which are the real 'rares'.

Don't you see the changes? Crimsons becoming dirt cheap in AoI, LIKE DB SABERS? xD

Give it time, compare this game to PsoV1 to be fair, AoI to PsoV2, etc...it's totally unfair to compare it to PsoBB at this point, or even PsoGC.

Vitamin_D
Nov 4, 2007, 12:13 PM
I still think PSU is better than PSO, mostly because I can't play PSO anymore, it's much too outdated. If I REALLY wanted to play PSO, I'd play Blue Burst which is still an active game (which a large majority of people seem to forget). But I quit playing Blue Burst after the Beta, it became apparent to me that PSO had run its course. Sure, PSO had great memories, but there's no way I can play it anymore, it's inferior game to PSU now. Especially now with AoI on the way, PSU is leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessor. To sum it up, if PSO is so great play Blue Burst, and this discussion won't need to take place at all.

ThEoRy
Nov 4, 2007, 12:29 PM
Remove the nostalgia fogged glasses and anyone can see psu>pso. PSU just isn't as earth shatteringly ground breaking as PSO was at the time of it's release. At it's core though, in the heat of the battle, PSU does indeed invoke that same hardcore zone feeling as PSO. Plus there's way more areas to explore. Leveling skills is a HUGE leap forward. Etc, etc. Also most gripes with the combo system will be addressed in AOtI. Overall there is just so much more to see and do in psu. And yes, it is just as addicting as it ever was.

RemiusTA
Nov 4, 2007, 12:57 PM
On 2007-11-01 19:10, superdood22 wrote:

I will agree on PSU giving what everyone wanted out of PSO but in exchange for sacrificing most PSO's charm.

And last but not least, if PSU were to have customization out the wazoo like it should players would come flowing back.

P.S. my grammar is absolutely terrible, please dont hold that against me.

...What kind of argument is this? You can do the EXACT same thing on psu, its just been improved.

2 attack buttons, the analog for camera control (which was ABSENT in PSO, granted most of the ceilings were polygonal Voids and you could camera break most walls.), And the buttons for lockon.

Not to mention the idea that a game using more buttons makes it better is bullshit. Super Smash Bros uses THREE buttons and an analog, you see nobody complaining.

Which accounted for alot of the broken gameplay, I.E. Humars ruling the world.

PSO had the most linear battle system ever. NORMAL ATTACK--HARD ATTACK--HARD ATTACK--*FALLDOWN*--RESTA-- Rinse and Repeat. There is little depth there. As long as you can survive the hit and dont get surrounded, you win.

Biased Nostalgia. Horrible arguement and extremely vague.

True, but lets be real now. Nobody really cares that much. I enjoy most of Neudaiz's music anyway.

PSU's environments are FAR more expansive and diverse, and in terms of sheer movement it has broken every boundry PRESENT in PSO. If you actually move the camera, you can see a few nice things as well. The only reason PSO was detailed so well is because there is but ONE camera angle.

Seems to be doing pretty well to me. PSO was like the first Console MMO (or MMO peroid, cant remember) and had plenty of praise. It was doing WORSE than PSU because it started on the Dreamcast that soon Failed, then moved to the GCN which had horrible online support. PSU is doing better becuase its on immensely more popular system.s

Thats...never happened to me before. If you mean how the weapons slow down upon impact of the enemy, then you have no taste in effect whatsoever.

Compared to PSO, it DOES. Very much so. I enjoy dressing my character.

Shishi-O
Nov 4, 2007, 03:02 PM
7 mill for a 50% nightwalker is cheap?

if it goes like the last generation of weps and elements aren't as gimped as we suspect then the prices will repeat the previous trend

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shishi-O on 2007-11-04 12:13 ]</font>

GreenArcher
Nov 4, 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #71: "but PSO seemed a hell of a lot more challenging then PSU and there was a real sense of acheivement in beating a boss to unlock the next level"

PSO you could solo ANY area with EVERY class very easily. PSU is insanely difficult and time consuming to solo.

Post #80: "I think also a major turn off for psu compared to pso...not meaning to start another fight here....is weapon drops. they happened all the time in pso and not in psu in psu u get a board and then have to craft it with a chance of failure. Peronally i dont like crafting in mmos i like to play the damn game. The satifaction in the old game "look there is a rare i got it!" not look htere is a rare i hope this comes out. kinda limits u on what u want to design your mag and just to me takes away the fun. does anyone else feel this way?

I find this ironic. PSU when you find a rare weapon, there is a ton of satisfaction, because these rare weapons are actually....RARE.

Zantra
Nov 4, 2007, 07:10 PM
In my opinion, they are two different games, that can't be compared.

While they are similar, they are also very different.
It's like compairing Samurai Warriors to Dynasty Warriors, or compairing Everquest to Everquest 2, they are similar games, made by the same company, but they also have differences, that make them totally unique games, with +'s, and -'s.

I must say, that while I prefer PSO for offline play, PSU is now the way to go, if you want to play a phantasy star game online.

Sinue_v2
Nov 4, 2007, 07:20 PM
Gameplay wise, PSU is likely better than PSO. However my main gripe is with other things. The storyline sucks, the music isn't as catchy or memorable, the artstyle and level design is crap, the weapons all basically look alike, and characters aren't as customisable when it comes to stats. I also hate the way they've treated Newmans in PSU.

Further, the idea of synthing with elemental %'s is rather lame. Especially with synth success rates being so low. I think PSU could have really benefited from a more "Skies of Arcadia" style of elements where you can switch out what element your weapon is on the fly. However, that's a bit too simplistic. Each weapon should have number of slots you can add an elemental photon attribute to. So that limits your choices right off the bat. Each photon element should have to be leveled, starting from 1% to 30% (and increased in expansions). There may also be a cap depending on the weapon grade. (B rank weapons cannot use over 10% on any element, for example).

Photon Elements can be removed and added to other weapons, but only weapons in that particular type. A 25% Fire Element taken from a 9* claw can be removed and added to a 10* claw, but cannot be added to a 10* saber.

In this way, it would make leveling Elemental % similar to raising bullets, or techniques. But again, the crux of the idea is to make them switchable on the fly while in combat. That would keep players a bit more occupied in battle against mixed mobs, add a bit more element of strategy, free up space on the pallet for more diversity, as well as still promote weapon conservation since Weapon PP would not be effected.

Edit: Also, linking techniques to a wand/rod rather than to a character to be used at any time is the stupidest idea Sonic Team ever came up with. When you need to cast Resta, you need to cast Resta, and in particularly tough areas it's hard to switch between offense and support because you're busy fumbling through your pallet and waiting for the weapon and techniques to load.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-11-04 16:23 ]</font>

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Nov 4, 2007, 07:32 PM
On 2007-11-04 15:58, Green_Archer3 wrote:PSU when you find a rare weapon, there is a ton of satisfaction, because these rare weapons are actually....RARE.

Parn
Nov 4, 2007, 07:36 PM
http://synbios.net/misc/pso.jpg
Man, I can't get over how much better PSO looked! I miss having my character's arms attached to the torso like legos. People just don't appreciate good art anymore.

http://synbios.net/images/misc/pso-gcn1.jpg
Even the holiday decorations don't compare! PSO is just so much better.

Sinue_v2
Nov 4, 2007, 08:05 PM
Polygon models =! Art Design.

Parn
Nov 4, 2007, 08:44 PM
A plate of pancakes =! Art Design

http://synbios.net/misc/pso2.jpg

http://synbios.net/games/PSU/misc/10.jpg
Given the choice between circus reject and something that looks infinitely more plausible for "futuristic clothing", I think I'll settle with PSU, yeah.

Goes beyond characters, too. Pioneer 2 is a dump compared to the Guardian's Colony, Holtes City, etc. There is waaaaaaaaaaay more thought and effort put into PSU from an artistic point of view than PSO.

Parn
Nov 4, 2007, 08:50 PM
Rupika isn't a joke character. She was an NPC.

Zorafim
Nov 4, 2007, 08:50 PM
I'd hate to be the one that says it, but comparing a joke character to the only well made character in the game is a pretty bad argument.

Zorafim
Nov 4, 2007, 08:52 PM
NPCs can easily be considered joke characters. The Zol brothers are NPCs, aren't they?

Seira7
Nov 4, 2007, 08:57 PM
On 2007-11-04 17:44, Parn wrote:
A plate of pancakes =! Art Design

http://synbios.net/misc/pso2.jpg

http://synbios.net/games/PSU/misc/10.jpg

Yay, Karen looks like a million generic anime pics I can find on the web!

Parn
Nov 4, 2007, 08:58 PM
You mean Vol brothers. And you're right, they ARE NPCs. I fail to see how this establishes Rupika as a joke character.

Zorafim
Nov 4, 2007, 09:01 PM
The hat is one thing. I doubt newman forces were meant to be taken very seriously. When was she ever used as an NPC, anyway?

Your argument holds well if you were to compare Sue to Karen, since I think we can all say that they're both good looking characters. I myself prefer Karen in that situation, but that's just because Karen's the only well made character in PSU.

Dragwind
Nov 4, 2007, 09:15 PM
I never looked at the design that way before =. Karen is sort of....bland.

mizukage
Nov 4, 2007, 09:17 PM
On 2007-11-04 17:58, Parn wrote:
You mean Vol brothers. And you're right, they ARE NPCs.

Vol Brothers? I rather do solo...

Sinue_v2
Nov 4, 2007, 11:48 PM
On 2007-11-04 17:44, Parn wrote:

Given the choice between circus reject and something that looks infinitely more weeaboo for "futuristic clothing", I think I'll settle with PSU, yeah.

Fix'd

And even if it does look more plausable for futuristic clothing, that still doesn't mean it looks good.

Very few characters have actual decent clothing options, and most of them pander to a stereotype. Generally Bishi for males, Frilly for females, and Gundum for Casts of all types. Very little middleground. Almost all of them are practically oozing at the seams with asian stereotype. Which, PSU is an asian made game, but it's never been so forced and so prevelant in any previous title.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-11-04 20:51 ]</font>

Saphion
Nov 5, 2007, 03:12 AM
Wow.

People are still arguing over personal opinion?

Huh.

Raine_Loire
Nov 5, 2007, 04:27 AM
I wonder what Rupika has to do with anything? She is mostly an Ep 4 char anyway, except for a brief appearance in one pso mission... not like Karen. And you're comparing artist renderings as a way to critique character design?

Personally, I wasn't a Sue fan... And I didn't like the clothing options in PSO, except the fomarl. I mean, most of the clothes were nearly NEARLY the same outfit , just with different colors! Races were limited to the one style, and in the original PSO there wasn't a dressing room to change your clothes, either! I made a new char every week just to stay interested. Sure PSU has some FUGLY clothing options (especially for dudes) but they aren't all slight variants of the same costume.

I think Karen's pretty, anyway. ;p

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raine_Loire on 2007-11-05 01:31 ]</font>

Winter_of_uno
Nov 5, 2007, 04:30 AM
PSO good? For a 7 year old game, ok.

brittanysdadd
Nov 5, 2007, 01:47 PM
come on....you dont have to put it down.....

Noblewine
Nov 5, 2007, 07:53 PM
I can't really tell the difference between PSO since I played it once with friends in Co-op and died alot but it was still fun. However, in PSU, they tweaked the battle engine and option to skim through to change camera behavior and etc. When you first start out only two mission available on the Guardian Colony; ironically if you wanna level up fast you can either do 1up or Her mission on Neudaiz but I wouldn't suggest it because of unrational player(s) who want "perfect" runs. Those are probably going to be the only problems your going to encounter though updating your equipment can't be done as fast as you wish because of how bad meseta drops and meseta earned through completing missions; the best tip I can give to get over that problem is just to save money and do a lot of runs or open a shop.