PDA

View Full Version : Guntecher Bow Question!

I-am-Evan
Oct 31, 2007, 02:39 PM
So i've been told that Guntechers will be receiving S rank bows come Nov 20th when AoI releases..

Is this true?

If so, i was contemplating removing my rifle from the pallet and replacing it with a bow.

Any recommendations for good bow bullets?

beatrixkiddo
Oct 31, 2007, 02:43 PM
Considering how much more useful Rifles are than Bows, I wouldn't recommend it.

Golto
Oct 31, 2007, 02:44 PM
Yes v1 GT will get srank in longbow as well. Can't go wrong with fire,ice, and dark longbow bullets.

Palle
Oct 31, 2007, 02:46 PM
On 2007-10-31 12:39, I-am-Evan wrote:
Any recommendations for good bow bullets?
I use 'em all, and I don't use a Rifle, period. However, I wouldn't recommend following suit if you plan to play with elitists.

chibiLegolas
Oct 31, 2007, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't remove rifles just yet over bows. Find your S rank bow first, THEN think about it.
Rifles and bows both have their place. Rifles more ideal for SE. Bows for damage.
I'd say pick up whatever element you're most likely use against whichever boss you fight alot.

And don't forget, you don't need to replace your PA rifles just yet. We get to convert them into PA disks for storage in AoI.

Bitey
Oct 31, 2007, 03:13 PM
If you already have Rifle bullets leveled, do not bother with the bow. The rifle is more superior in damage, range, and status effects; unless you are dealing with high Defense bosses, which only accounts for about 10% of this game...

Bows are the worst gun available in the game and they are out classed in every aspect of this game by another gun.

-Ryuki-
Oct 31, 2007, 03:44 PM
You COULD have two rifles for Fire and Dark, and then a Bow for Ice. No need to replace since you can use both.

panzer_unit
Oct 31, 2007, 04:09 PM
Protranser gets S rank bows in AOI as well, but the only one I care about is getting a kubara GRM bow to +10... looks are all that matters since a similar-level handgun skill outdamages and SE's faster than a bow, except against very high DFP and STA.

Dragwind
Oct 31, 2007, 04:16 PM
Like it's been said, I wouldn't disregard your ability to use rifles as a GT. I'd only use bows on dfp resistant stuff along with bosses. Other than that, rifles will just about always outdamage and apply SE's must faster.

Hath_Wrobo
Oct 31, 2007, 05:08 PM
That depends on how you think you will utilize bows. If just for SE, Fire and Infection are good. If you want to use them for bosses, I suggest just each element. The elemental damage you get at level 21 is very nice for bosses, and with the negating defense, it can prove very useful against bosses or other big enemies. Im a level 91 Cast GT, I do about 650 damage buffed per shot with Ulteris and Solid/ Power S. I'm hoping to get some Rikauteri/Rikausenba action to really do some nice damage. Can't wait for the expansion when we get S rank bows. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Bows versus rifles is pretty much down to personal opinion. Me? I like bows better because they look cooler and sound cooler than rifles imo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hath_Wrobo on 2007-10-31 15:10 ]</font>

Midicronica
Oct 31, 2007, 05:11 PM
On 2007-10-31 13:44, RyukiZero wrote:
You COULD have two rifles for Fire and Dark, and then a Bow for Ice. No need to replace since you can use both.

QFT.

I only have Burning and Dark shot there for status effecting. I have ice shot, but I really only use it when I'm a Fortegunner.

Kinako78
Oct 31, 2007, 05:33 PM
On 2007-10-31 13:13, Bitey wrote:
Bows are the worst gun available in the game and they are out classed in every aspect of this game by another gun.

No, that would be the mechgun.

Golto
Oct 31, 2007, 05:45 PM
Don't forget longbow bullets get 40% element at lvl 31+.

bahk
Oct 31, 2007, 06:02 PM
On 2007-10-31 15:33, Kinako78 wrote:

Lies and slander. The decent range, rate of fire, and high element make them very good for killing very quickly in EX missions. But from what I can tell that's their only use, and once 1UP is over I'll probably never touch one again. But that is something it does better than other guns. For now.

MSAksion
Oct 31, 2007, 06:06 PM
I have both rifles and bows.

BOW = Fire, Ice, and Virus.
Rifle = Lightning, Silence and Confuse. Working on Fire.

Rifle takes FOREVER to level and thus takes a while to get the coveted status 4. But BURN only needs 3 so i saved that for last.

Rifles can status faster than a bow so for a GT where damage is less than spectacular its a godsend. Bows though look cooler and are more powerful yes.

-Ryuki-
Oct 31, 2007, 06:26 PM
I don't know~ When I burn things with my Rifle, I do 3001 per tick. Granted, it should be the same, but the DPS on that > Bows.

Kinako78
Oct 31, 2007, 06:36 PM
On 2007-10-31 16:02, bahk wrote:

Lies and slander. The decent range, rate of fire, and high element make them very good for killing very quickly in EX missions. But from what I can tell that's their only use, and once 1UP is over I'll probably never touch one again. But that is something it does better than other guns. For now.

I meant in general, not just during 1-up. And maybe I'll give it another chance, but I'm not promising.

Bman40
Oct 31, 2007, 06:47 PM
On 2007-10-31 13:13, Bitey wrote:
If you already have Rifle bullets leveled, do not bother with the bow. The rifle is more superior in damage, range, and status effects; unless you are dealing with high Defense bosses, which only accounts for about 10% of this game...

what the hell are you smoking.
bows in the hands of good people outdamage the rifle and the status effects are way better then a rifle, yes the have SLIGHTLY less range and there a little slower but they are still better than rifles.

i have almost all my bow/rifle shots to 30 and i carry around both of them but the bow is definitly better.

HFlowen
Oct 31, 2007, 06:50 PM
Bows are sexier.

'nuff said.

Itsuki
Oct 31, 2007, 06:59 PM
On 2007-10-31 15:45, Golto wrote:
Don't forget longbow bullets get 40% element at lvl 31+.

This is a completely bias and out of place arguement. You can't say one's buff without saying the other one's buff. Especially in a situation like this where rifles actually get MORE of a buff after 31 then bows.

That means that as you get rifles to 40, they'd be gaining more ground on bows.

With that said, if you actually look at dps numbers, rifles deal more than bows till ~500-600def. but most S2 monsters have ~300-400def, rifles tends to win out in the majority of situations.

The only situation where they don't win out is against bosses. Because unless you have a clear shot at the bosses weakpoint the entire fight, you can't deal more damage than a bow.

On 2007-10-31 16:47, Bman40 wrote:
what the hell are you smoking.
bows in the hands of good people outdamage the rifle and the status effects are way better then a rifle, yes the have SLIGHTLY less range and there a little slower but they are still better than rifles.

Bows and rifles inflict the same status effects. Only rifles shoot faster, so they inflict more often. This means that bows can not have status effects that are "way better than a rifle".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Itsuki-chan on 2007-10-31 17:01 ]</font>

Rashiid
Oct 31, 2007, 07:13 PM
i dont see why ya cant have both....

Lyric
Oct 31, 2007, 07:58 PM
I used to use rifles, but switched to bows a loong time ago. The main reason being I simply liked them better. However, over all they're both about the same. I never have trouble keeping up or outdoing someone of my own level using a rifle with my bow, and I'm sure some rifle users could say the same.

As someone said earlier, don't worry about it unless you're gaming with elitists. Just keep both http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

IsoDonk
Oct 31, 2007, 08:14 PM
On 2007-10-31 16:26, RyukiZero wrote:
I don't know~ When I burn things with my Rifle, I do 3001 per tick. Granted, it should be the same, but the DPS on that > Bows.

I'm guessing you're talking about the SE on something like a Lv100 Kagajibari?

In which case, when I burn things with my Bow, I do 3,001 per tick too. It happens pretty frequently as well http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Lyric
Oct 31, 2007, 08:19 PM
Likewise, I can usually tack virus onto an enemy within 6-12 shots the majority of the time. There's not much difference between rifles and bows, not clearly noticeable anyway.

Hath_Wrobo
Oct 31, 2007, 10:29 PM
Let's not forget in a future update that the STA of large monsters are going to be dramatically decreased. Even though rifles can SE faster because they fire faster, there is eventually going to be very little difference.

Hath_Wrobo
Oct 31, 2007, 10:33 PM
Let's not forget in a future update that the STA of large monsters are going to be dramatically decreased. Even though rifles can SE faster because they fire faster, there is eventually going to be very little difference.

Hath_Wrobo
Oct 31, 2007, 10:37 PM

Some kind of record...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hath_Wrobo on 2007-10-31 20:39 ]</font>

Reginaldo
Oct 31, 2007, 11:20 PM
Yeah, you should really use crossbows it you want to cause se's on mobs. With the STA nerf on mobs, even level 3 se's will work on large mobs.

Bows or Rifles are only really needed for long distance shooting in AoI.

gryphonvii
Nov 1, 2007, 12:12 AM
also depends on your patience, bows level up way faster than rifles but if you already have rifle bullets up, it all depends on you.

ljkkjlcm9
Nov 1, 2007, 12:27 AM
On 2007-10-31 16:36, Kinako78 wrote:

On 2007-10-31 16:02, bahk wrote:

I meant in general, not just during 1-up. And maybe I'll give it another chance, but I'm not promising.

I like it paired with something like a saber, when I hit them away with a PA, I close the gap by strafing toward them and firing a mechgun.

As for Bows and rifles, I think bows while typically be more useful in the expansion, as rifles won't be needed really to SE mobs.

THE JACKEL

Kion
Nov 1, 2007, 12:34 AM
rifles are good for SE, but the only elements that would really be usefull are dark and ice (get killer shot too). Other than that bows ignore defense which is good for GT with their slightly lower ATP. And don't forget that large monsters will be getting a stamina nerf, so the firing speed of bows won't make too much of a difference for SE.

SolomonGrundy
Nov 1, 2007, 02:43 AM
let's not forget that bows have siginficantly higher ATA than rifles. Guntechers are less accurate than fortegunners, and it's nice to have your weapon draw fewer zeroes.

I have a cast fortegunner, and one of the few things that slows me way down is shielded enemies. They refuse to get se put on them, and bullet damage is greatly reduced. If only there was a way to bypass ass that DFP

...oh yeah!

Winter_of_uno
Nov 1, 2007, 04:18 AM
Bows are pretty good for GT since they don't have access to Nades to pen dragon-type bosses, so Ice and Earth for the 2 elemental dragons would be nice to have; can use Plasma Twins on Dimma so you don't necessarily need that ammo for Bow.

thunder-ray
Nov 1, 2007, 04:25 AM
i like bows to but my cast is a WT. i do alot of dmg with my bow and its only a 8 star bow. to me bows are like a secound version of a rifle just different in certain ways. rifles have se but bows have great dmg. i think bows are very good for WT dued to the fact that bows range is decent since WT have melee and magic its perfect for me cuz i like range weapons mixed with melee

Gen2000
Nov 1, 2007, 05:01 AM
The extreme long range of Rifle/Bows is rarely needed for damage purposes but the few moments when you do need it you'll probably want the best damaging option which is Rifles. If leveling Rifles is too much for you then just go with Bows, just be aware you will be killing slower than the Rifle user, especially the Phantom Line combo user (which is basically is like having an high star Srank Rifle) anyways.

Maybe if the Rikau Bow combo (11* Bow and an armor that only drops from boss box atm) was easier to obtain I would say Bows since the combo seems stronger than the Phantom Line combo. Will the armor drop be easier to get in AoI?

For bosses besides Magas, there are so many better options than either Rifle or Bow. Even vs. Magas I still found that you need to hit his shoulder or midsection to do the most damage anyways even with a Bow so may as well use Phantom Line combo with high level Ground shot to do the most DPS.

The whole lazy leveling factor of Bows is enough to draw anyone near them vs. Rifles though.

CelestialBlade
Nov 1, 2007, 05:53 AM
Bows ignore defense, Rifles do not. Take a Bow to a Shielded enemy and take a Rifle to one, and the Bow is going to win.

Neither weapon is meant to be a good DPS weapon, a Card, Crossbow, or Twin Handgun will beat them out every time. My Rifle is specifically for landing SE4 to enemies (I have Burning Shot, Dark Shot, and Killer Shot) whereas my Bow is for hitting shielded enemies hard and for bosses (Thus I have Ice, Lightning, Earth, and Light).

Only sticking to one or the other is limiting your own potential, so get both.

thunder-ray
Nov 1, 2007, 06:05 AM
I agree with you tyheros. i do notice that the bow does ignore defense for some reason. but doesnt the bow also do SE as well as the rifle or has a lower chance of doing SE?

CelestialBlade
Nov 1, 2007, 06:34 AM
Bow and Rifle both apply SE4, I consider Rifle to be better for applying it due to its rate of fire though.

RemiusTA
Nov 1, 2007, 07:52 AM
Meh, use whatever looks cooler.

Aethereal
Nov 1, 2007, 08:00 AM
I think it really depends on one's play style and race. If my GT was a CAST, I'd probably use rifles almost exclusively. However, I'm Human, and I find bows to be generally more useful in the long run with the defense ignoring and the higher ATA. It's also worth noting that when we start getting S3 and higher missions, enemy DFP will get higher, favoring bows even more. I do have a fire rifle (for inflicting SE4 burn) but I generally prefer the bow. Neither one is ideal for DPS, though; crossbows win that battle hands down.

Schubalts
Nov 1, 2007, 08:10 AM
On 2007-11-01 05:52, RemiusTA wrote:
Meh, use whatever looks cooler.

This one speaks the truth.

-Ryuki-
Nov 1, 2007, 08:14 AM
9* Rifles, versus 10/11* Bows.

-Thinks.- If that's the case, the bows would look a lot better considering Yohmei's designs for the rifles are.. a bit awkward. That is to say, we go by the above statement. =x GRM rifles still look the same (of course), and if Tenora has their own rifles, we've yet to see them. I do like how GRM rifles look, though.

Personally, S rank rifles look better than S rank bows, but they're BOTH still awesome.

Rashiid
Nov 1, 2007, 08:57 AM
GRM Kikami's will be doing a lot of damage , so focus on them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Starrz
Nov 1, 2007, 12:04 PM
Rifles beat out bows on everything except leveling speed.

If you think you're being more helpful by spamming bow instead of rifle, you're wrong :/

Aethereal
Nov 1, 2007, 12:04 PM
On 2007-11-01 06:57, Rashiid wrote:
GRM Kikami's will be doing a lot of damage , so focus on them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ew @ GRM cards. Their PP is too low for it to be worth it. I'd rather just grind a Mira.

GATO
Nov 1, 2007, 06:31 PM
Shot for shot, bow wins! If bow had the gun glitch, rifles would retire=]