PDA

View Full Version : Why is the community so angry?

Alazar313
Oct 31, 2007, 11:02 PM
I have been checking out a few posts in the official PSU site I want to get the game, I noticed the community is on edge all the time, it seems like any little topic about the future of the game or minor issues turns people into raving jerks. I asked simple questions and people just treated me like crap to say the least. So Im here I hope things will be different. I now have the same questions about the game yet 1 other one about the community from what i saw.

#1 How much without the new upcoming expansion does the game have to explore and enjoy? Like is it a vast world or more centered around a lobby like pso?

#2 Is it bigger than PSO? More challenging than pso?

#3 About how many people play the game? More than pso did on 2004? or about the same? (Speaking PC if i get the game it will be for PC)Community means a lot to me in online games I prefer a bigger community.

#4 How much time needs to be devoted to the game in order to get things done, like get at least about 70% of the way up the level cap? Is it hard and long process like in FFXI or more relaxed and fast like in Sword of the new world?

#5 Will I have to pay for both the game and the expansion online subscription fees when the expansion comes out?

#6 Why are the people in the official forums so angry all the time? Most of the Topics I see there are people who argue and disrespect others or just plain try to make others feel like crap and think they are all macho for doing it or something, This is the worse behavior like this I have seen in any game official site forums so why is this? Is every 1 just pissed off all the time or something? I dont get it

Tnx hope some 1 responds to my questions Im still thinking if i should start this game or wait for Monster hunter 2 to come out on Wii next year.

Remedy
Oct 31, 2007, 11:08 PM
On 2007-10-31 21:02, Alazar313 wrote:
it seems like any little topic about the future of the game or minor issues turns people into raving jerks.That has more to do with the people in question than anything.

beatrixkiddo
Oct 31, 2007, 11:11 PM
#1. Check out the Sticky about the Expansion here
#2. I'd say it's bigger than PSO, but challenging? That's subjective.
#3. As of this month, you'll find anywhere from 100 to 500 people on the PC/PS2's most popular server at any given time. XBox is higher but I don't know specifics.
#4. Eh... not really sure.
#5. Yes, you have to buy AotI AND pay a subscription.
#6. Welcome to the Phantasy Star community.

DanMalak
Oct 31, 2007, 11:12 PM
#1 How much without the new upcoming expansion does the game have to explore and enjoy? Like is it a vast world or more centered around a lobby like pso?
-I think it's more like pso/psu, It's not a free world/roam around game like other mmo's

-Eh, the Game is bigger/has more variety for stuff to do then pso, I guess you could say more challenging then pso, but I thought that both are kind of easy/relaxing which is why I play instead of the hardcore grinding.

#3 About how many people play the game? More than pso did on 2004? or about the same? (Speaking PC if i get the game it will be for PC)Community means a lot to me in online games I prefer a bigger community.
-I would say less then pso in 2004, but I forgot when I played pso so I cant give you a definite answer. The psu pc population is pretty small though.

#4 How much time needs to be devoted to the game in order to get things done, like get at least about 70% of the way up the level cap? Is it hard and long process like in FFXI or more relaxed and fast like in Sword of the new world?
-To get things done all you need is some friends to form a party, leveling is pretty fast in this game only thing high level does it let you play the same mission you already can do, just a chance of good/rare wepons.

#5 Will I have to pay for both the game and the expansion online subscription fees when the expansion comes out?
-You dont have to buy psu to play the expansion, all you need is the expansion, unless you mean pay the monthy fee and aoi, which you need to do.

#6 Why are the people in the official forums so angry all the time? Most of the Topics I see there are people who argue and disrespect others or just plain try to make others feel like crap and think they are all macho for doing it or something, This is the worse behavior like this I have seen in any game official site forums so why is this? Is every 1 just pissed off all the time or something? I dont get it
-Eh, the official forms is to messy/unorganized which is why I dont go on it, last I remember though it's filled with a bunch of little kids acting like as if they know what there talking about, and some psow members making fun of them...

Well hopefully I answered all your questions, anyone feel free to adjust my stuff or w/e...

DarkDeception
Oct 31, 2007, 11:14 PM
I never played PSO online but based on the offline play PSU is much much bigger. It is still lobby based but there are a lot of different lobbies. Getting to a high level can take really long or really short. It really all depends on the missions you choose to play through. Some people will spam certain ones to level up really fast where personally I don't care about level and I play the levels that I enjoy the most.

Since I didn't play PSO online I can't say if the community is larger or smaller. However this one isn't huge but I never have a hard time finding a party. I have been treated nicely from the start with higher leveled people coming and helping me out when things got tough and all that fun stuff.

In my opinion I love the community and have some friends online that will always help out. Not sure if this will help at all but thought I would throw my two cents in

Lyric
Oct 31, 2007, 11:17 PM
I have been checking out a few posts in the official PSU site I want to get the game, I noticed the community is on edge all the time, it seems like any little topic about the future of the game or minor issues turns people into raving jerks. I asked simple questions and people just treated me like crap to say the least. So Im here I hope things will be different. I now have the same questions about the game yet 1 other one about the community from what i saw.

Tnx hope some 1 responds to my questions Im still thinking if i should start this game or wait for Monster hunter 2 to come out on Wii next year.

1. It is centered around lobbies...somewhat. It's not free-roaming like WoW, but not as restrictive as PSO was.

2. Yes, it is bigger than PSO. It can also be more challenging I suppose.

3. Right now, honestly, the community isn't very big. We've lost a lot of people over the past few months because they've gotten bored. Dedication is somewhat necessary, eheh.

4. I'd say it's in between those games. FFXI was sure ridiculousness when it came to leveling.

5. It should only be one subscription fee.

6. I don't know. I don't go to the official forums. People are just bitter I guess.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Oct 31, 2007, 11:19 PM
On 2007-10-31 21:15, Reginaldo wrote:
Lol, these forums are alot worse.

Lol,Too true.
But if its community you're after,I would say get the Xbox360 version. Not that you're missing much. Its the same community we have here. But MORE.
...Thats not really a good thing.

Zorafim
Oct 31, 2007, 11:20 PM
[quote]#1 How much without the new upcoming expansion does the game have to explore and enjoy? Like is it a vast world or more centered around a lobby like pso?

A little of A, a little of B. There are multiple central lobbies, then there are sub lobbies in between missions. One mission leads you to another lobby, which leads to new missions. In a way, you kind of have to kill your way to some of the better missions.

Um... There are more missions, and lobbies are not limited to the small areas in towns. In that sense it's bigger, but each mission you go to tends to be smaller than a PSO mission. As for challenge, I think PSO had more of it, but this would vary from person to person.

7. 7 people play this game.

Um, on the PC/PS2 server, I'd estimate only around 1,000 people play at any given time. The 360 community is multiple times larger, but still rather small comparatively. The japanese server is huge, though.

I'd say, you should play at least in one hour intervals. Give 20 minutes to get where you're going (fixed come expansion), a few minutes to find a party (sometimes instant, depending on the mission), and half an hour to play the mission itself. If doing a story mission, I'd expect two hours to get through all of it. If you want to solo a mission, expect to take an hour or so.

The expansion is a stand-alone game, so you don't need to buy the original game. You only need to pay one monthly fee.

The general population of America tends to be ignorant and selfish, especially considering the target age of the game. Then there's the fact that the loudest voice is heard best, meaning only one person can make a forum sour.
You think that's bad? Try Gamefaqs.

I never played Monster Hunter. What's it like?

On 2007-10-31 21:15, Reginaldo wrote:
Lol, these forums are alot worse.

They really aren't. It's easier to joke here, and answers tend to be more intelligent. There are flames, but those seem to be subsiding as less people, well, care. The disrespectful posts tend to come from a select few posters.
I really can't stand browsing the official forums anymore. I tried, and quickly got bored of the lack of intelligence there. Topics aren't thought out well, or are on subjects that have been beaten to death. Replies don't have much substance behind them. I much prefer this forum to that one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-10-31 21:29 ]</font>

mizukage
Oct 31, 2007, 11:26 PM

Compared to PSO, the PSU world is huge. However, if you compare the PSU world to the AOI world, its small. Not sure how to answer your question, I can only gave a vague answer.

The world does look about 10 times larger than PSO. In terms of challenging, I would say no. It took me more than 30 hours to get LV25 in PSO, yet it only took me about 30 hours to get LV100 in PSU. Which is more challenging???

During the start of the 7up Cup, there were about 4000 people, but now... Its probably under 1000.

Some people had took over 2000 hours in the online, but I had only played no more than 35 hours offline. It depends...

If you had paid for the PSU online subscription, then you do not need to pay again for AOI, unless you plan to create a new account, instead of transferring the account over to AOI. By the way, once you transfer the PSU account over to AOI, you will not be able to go back to PSU, but the thing is that AOI is PSU with more content and so, there really is no point in going back to PSU.

#6 Why are the people in the official forums so angry all the time? Most of the Topics I see there are people who argue and disrespect others or just plain try to make others feel like crap and think they are all macho for doing it or something, This is the worse behavior like this I have seen in any game official site forums so why is this? Is every 1 just pissed off all the time or something? I dont get it.

I have no idea, sorry. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Oct 31, 2007, 11:33 PM
I never played Monster Hunter. What's it like?

[/quote]Effin awesome.

gryphonvii
Oct 31, 2007, 11:55 PM
if you decide to play on 360 you will need to buy the original disc and buy the expansion, but it only costs like 20 bucks, and another 20 for teh expansion, so its the same as 40 bucks for pc expansion.

_Vyser_
Nov 1, 2007, 12:09 AM
Oh man...the GameFAQ Monster Hunter boards...NOW that's a special group of people...

Arcturus
Nov 1, 2007, 12:31 AM
The source of anger for many people when on the topic of the game is the quality (or rather, lack) of the support from Sega Team. We pay $15 a month for this game when we can most other games for free (including all of them on the 360, if you don't count the LIVE subscription - 360 players have to pay for that, AND the subscription fee for PSU), and yet Sega Team is very slow in addressing issues, or doesn't even address them at all. Yes, the support is better than it was for PSO, but still, it is simply horrible compared to the vast majority of other games with active communities.

beatrixkiddo
Nov 1, 2007, 12:38 AM
Actually, XBox users only have to pay for PSU. A Silver account is all that's needed to access subscription-based LIVE games (like FFXI)

mizukage
Nov 1, 2007, 01:15 AM
On 2007-10-31 21:33, BomberStrife wroteI never played Monster Hunter. What's it like?

http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/monster-hunter-freedom-2-20070712085358872.jpg

On 2007-10-31 22:38, beatrixkiddo wrote:
Actually, XBox users only have to pay for PSU. A Silver account is all that's needed to access subscription-based LIVE games (like FFXI)

Off-topic, is it possible to get a Xbox gamertag using an expired new Xbox Live subscription code???

Mystil
Nov 1, 2007, 01:21 AM
Speaking only for myself, I've always been an on-edge poster(see: PSOW history dating back to 2002 =P).

Psycho_Sonic
Nov 1, 2007, 03:16 AM
On 2007-10-31 21:26, mizukage wrote:
yet it only took me about 30 hours to get LV100 in PSU.

WTF?! How the hell'd you do that?! I'm clocked at 100 hours, and i'm lvl 39!

BigBadWolf
Nov 1, 2007, 03:25 AM
Angry compared to what exactly?
The WoW forums have much better customer support, and feedback from the official forums actually gets instituted into the game. Yet WoW forumites are easily the angriest ppl I've ever seen (read: World of Roguecraft).

Yeah but besides that, pretty much what Arcturus said.

Zael
Nov 1, 2007, 03:57 AM
lol, from what I've seen this community is friendlier than WoW and FFXI's

(but not PSO:BB)

Dragwind
Nov 1, 2007, 05:35 AM
I think its moreso of a player issue. Too many people want this to be their perfect game and then get insulted too easily from other players/sega.

CelestialBlade
Nov 1, 2007, 05:49 AM
This forum actually isn't that bad. You have your elitist pricks every now and then but most people I've actually taken the time to go out and meet from this forum are really cool people.

It all comes down to this: it's the internet, where every dumbass 15 year old can think he's such a badass because he types WORDS. And WORDS are serious business. Just laugh it off.

Remedy
Nov 1, 2007, 05:50 AM
There is a line, however, between words and outright slander. Several people on this forum have crossed that line, and to date, only one of them is banned.

But whatever.

TranceZiggy
Nov 1, 2007, 06:11 AM
Yeah, the people at the official forums are generally jerks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif. Though ive not been here long (forum ghost for like 5 years til made an account few months ago), the PSOW community is MUCH better than those 'official' pricks, though we can be bad at times.. Then again, it's guaranteed youll never find a community where people are ALL completely nice, right? And lol, first thing I thought of when I saw your topic name was:

"So young, so angry.. Damn that rap music."

Neith
Nov 1, 2007, 06:14 AM

#1: There's a reasonable amount of stuff to do. Story missions, party missions, and a decent selection of free missions. It's not a free roaming world like say, WoW. You go from a lobby, into a mission. That mission leads you to another lobby, where there might be more missions. I won't lie to you, it's not a huge game.

#2: More areas than PSO, yes. More missions? I'm not sure, to be honest. As for more challenging, the only areas I find challenging are some of the really late high-end areas. Aside from that, it's a cakewalk really =/ An enjoyable cakewalk yes, but still a cakewalk all the same.

#3: 200 or so people play on PC/PS2. We had a lot more, but people left over time/whining about no updates etc. When the expansion arrives, expect that number to go back up.

#4: I have a Lv100 (currently the cap, though it raises to 200 in AoI), and it took me a while, but I wasn't grinding. I only played casually, and ended up hitting the cap anyway. Now I'm using this 1Up Cup to level an alt, and she levels extremely quick.

#5: Yes. The game will be playable offline though if you don't want to pay subscription fees.

#6: This is always how the Phantasy Star Online/Universe community has been. No-one can forgive differences of opinions, and everyone has an ego that they want to live up to. As long as Phantasy Star exists, the bitchiness of the community will follow. Welcome http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

McLaughlin
Nov 1, 2007, 06:29 AM

Compared to PSO, the PSU world is huge. However, if you compare the PSU world to the AOI world, its small. Not sure how to answer your question, I can only gave a vague answer.

The world does look about 10 times larger than PSO. In terms of challenging, I would say no. It took me more than 30 hours to get LV25 in PSO, yet it only took me about 30 hours to get LV100 in PSU. Which is more challenging???

During the start of the 7up Cup, there were about 4000 people, but now... Its probably under 1000.

Some people had took over 2000 hours in the online, but I had only played no more than 35 hours offline. It depends...

If you had paid for the PSU online subscription, then you do not need to pay again for AOI, unless you plan to create a new account, instead of transferring the account over to AOI. By the way, once you transfer the PSU account over to AOI, you will not be able to go back to PSU, but the thing is that AOI is PSU with more content and so, there really is no point in going back to PSU.

#6 Why are the people in the official forums so angry all the time? Most of the Topics I see there are people who argue and disrespect others or just plain try to make others feel like crap and think they are all macho for doing it or something, This is the worse behavior like this I have seen in any game official site forums so why is this? Is every 1 just pissed off all the time or something? I dont get it.

I have no idea, sorry. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

The bolded bits are outright untrue. Although, the time one may be somewhat accurate if you've only played Offline (where the game is a joke).

But to answer your other question: No, I don't think you can use an expired code. But why would you? If you only want a Silver account, there's no payment involved. You don't even need to register a credit card number for Silver.

amtalx
Nov 1, 2007, 07:42 AM

I lol'd.

Anyway, most of my anger comes from ST being incompetent. The amount of technical problems they have is inexcusable. As I've said for a while now...most of them need to be fired.

Tellemyall
Nov 1, 2007, 09:55 AM
On 2007-11-01 03:50, Remedy wrote:
There is a line, however, between words and outright slander. Several people on this forum have crossed that line, and to date, only one of them is banned.

But whatever.

who?

CherryLunar
Nov 1, 2007, 10:52 AM
On 2007-11-01 01:57, Zael wrote:
lol, from what I've seen this community is friendlier than WoW and FFXI's

(but not PSO:BB)

I have to agree with Zael on this one.

PSU has its share of elitists though like any game. It's kinda great actually since they provide much lulz. We all know that PSU is serious business guys.

Kylie
Nov 1, 2007, 10:53 AM
Surprisingly (or not really), most of the "angry" ones are on the message boards. *shrugs* I've met a lot of people just on the game that have not one thing bad to say about it. But I've no real opinion on the matter because individual people complain for individual reasons - some legit, some not.

BigBadWolf
Nov 1, 2007, 07:17 PM
On 2007-11-01 05:42, amtalx wrote:

Anyway, most of my anger comes from ST being incompetent. The amount of technical problems they have is inexcusable. As I've said for a while now...most of them need to be fired.

I have to agree with this as well. There's no reason why PSU couldn't have been a success at launch as it's a great game. But no US marketing, no content during release, nothing done against hackers stealing ppl's stuff/ruining the economy, no technical support for the ppl that couldn't initially get online, and no official anouncements of significant events in a timely manner (expansion, 1Up Cup), and so on. It's not like PSU didn't have wealth of players at launch, but it seemed like Sega did everything to drive them away.

And yes I know, Sega did eventually fix all these problems, but by that time the damage had well been done, and so the remaining players are left standing in the muck of what could have been.

Other than that, we're just dandy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigBadWolf on 2007-11-01 17:19 ]</font>

Dragwind
Nov 1, 2007, 08:10 PM
In terms of success, yes. Advertising goes a LONG way. Something ST didn't do enough of stateside. =