PDA

View Full Version : the 1up platinum cup: an ode to the power of the fortegunner

majan
Nov 1, 2007, 02:21 PM
this obviously will start a flamewar,but I hope to create an interesting discussion before it breaks out.

first of all let me begin with saying that Im not even a fortegunner on either of my cahracters.my cast is now to level up his bullets in preparation for level 30 bullets for fighgunners in the expansion,I'm by no means a fortegunner,so dont think Im on some pedastal saying fortegunners rock all classes out of the water cus i am one and I own all.zor.

anyway,yeah,you notice a lot of parties looking for cast fortegunners rather than anything else especially on this neudaiz mission.ive noticed that 4 racasts breeze through the mission and the ex misison on A rank wiht about 30 seconds to spare and are already opening the special boss boxes.fortefighters also are very efficient in thsi mission but they cant hold a candle to the havoc the gunners wreak,at least frmo what Ive seen.majarra is effective,but its all some people use now and being one-dimensional is not key to sucess.but anyway,techers have an extremely low demand because their damage output on neudaiz sucks(except machines and ollakas) because everything else takes reduced tech damage.this mission truly does capture in a little slideshow how powerful a party of gunners can be.even without a techer or buffs,a party of 4 solid gunners will still rip through the mission faster than if the techer was there most of the time,Ive noticed.

this is purely based on my observations playing these missions.and the fact that I get a praty a hell of a lot easier with my cast than I do with my force in the club right now,and I dont see the HIVE mission witht eh gunner-friendly fakis being any differnt.

your thoughts?

Tellemyall
Nov 1, 2007, 02:25 PM
a fF and fG can duo it in 16 minutes

eightball
Nov 1, 2007, 02:26 PM
i think the main thing you said there is casts...for the ex missions the casts are incredibly helpful for destroying the boxes and a good set of creatures with their suv

jayster
Nov 1, 2007, 02:27 PM
Me (beast fortegunner), a beast fortefighter and a cast fortegunner did the nuediez mission in 18 minutes without using the mechgun glitch. Basically, 2 fortegunners and 1 fortefighter is all you need.

Starrz
Nov 1, 2007, 04:26 PM
And for the Parum and Moatoob missions people were seeking out high leveled Fortefighters. Fortegunners are about on par with Fortefighter imo, it's just that there's more areas that melee > bullets.

JAFO22000
Nov 1, 2007, 04:34 PM
I thought the whole game was an Ode to Fortegunners?? I mean, the only thing they REALLY have trouble with are Kog Nadds, buffed Vandas and Kamatozes, right? ..and then they can trap those and/or use the environment to get them stuck.

dogg1000
Nov 1, 2007, 04:45 PM
No love for Beast Frotegunners? :_:

Indica
Nov 1, 2007, 05:16 PM
My party was kicking ass with 1 Force and 3 Rangers yesterday

pikachief
Nov 1, 2007, 05:26 PM
i like to dou the missions all the time with a friend ^.^

Me a cast fortegunner and my beast fihggunner friend beat it in 22 min ^.^

The Ex mission im not sure, we can do really good (40 seconds remaning O.o) or badly as in BARELY making the end http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

All my friends want me and my light bullets for fakis tomorrow now XD

Turambar
Nov 1, 2007, 05:27 PM
On 2007-11-01 14:34, JAFO22000 wrote:
I thought the whole game was an Ode to Fortegunners?? I mean, the only thing they REALLY have trouble with are Kog Nadds, buffed Vandas and Kamatozes, right? ..and then they can trap those and/or use the environment to get them stuck.

Well, considering AoI is so far a giant playground for melee classes with just attack, I think gunners should be allowed to enjoy their time in the sun while it lasts =P

Chaobo99
Nov 1, 2007, 05:29 PM
Yea I agree only on neudiaz so far that gunners are good. On parum and moatoob, 4 fortetechers have been able to breeze through it :]

Sylpheed
Nov 1, 2007, 05:59 PM
Lol, fortegunner has been the best class in this game since it came out imo. Fighters were completely obsolete and unwanted in parties until the new PA's and the 1UP Cup were released which is why i switched to Beast fortegunner.

I just love the irony that techers, so far have been completely useless in this event, on moatoob they couldn't hurt anything and were useless in the EX, ditto with Neudaiz. Even on Parum having four techers slowed the framerate of the game down so much that it was impossible to do anything.

It's also so easy to solo with a Gunner, trap the big monsters use machine gun/kill shot on little monsters shotty on med mobs and the grenade launcher/rifles on the bosses. Yup Gunners are made of 100% win and all other classes are the Sux0rz. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Criss
Nov 1, 2007, 06:09 PM
Not only fGs, but gunner types in general are advantaged in 1Up. I can say from experience that, even as a Beast GT, I still rip through most monsters about as well as any fG, while also being able to support the rest of the team (you'd be surprised how many times I saved frozen people from certain death. Reverser is underappreciated).

As a team of one GT, one fG and one fF, we were able to get 10 points on Neudaiz AND S rank the EX mission. So yeah, the way the mission is set up clearly advantages gunners, but that doesn't mean techers are useless. Lv 30 buffs are awesome, and Techs like Megiverse can still tear through Ageeta packs.

-Tidus_415-
Nov 1, 2007, 06:15 PM
On 2007-11-01 15:59, Sylpheed wrote:
Yup Gunners are made of 100% win and all other classes are the Sux0rz. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Until AotI. Then THEY will be the sux0rz and us fighters will be on top.

Sylpheed
Nov 1, 2007, 06:21 PM
On 2007-11-01 16:15, -Tidus_415- wrote:

On 2007-11-01 15:59, Sylpheed wrote:
Yup Gunners are made of 100% win and all other classes are the Sux0rz. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Until AotI. Then THEY will be the sux0rz and us fighters will be on top.

That's the beuty of having lvl 10 FF Fig and FG on one charecter just switch when the other becomes crap.

pokefiend
Nov 1, 2007, 06:26 PM
A few have already addressed my view against the gunner > fighter subject, nevertheless I will add to the disscussion.

I believe gunners were the effective damage dealer this week, b/c unlike the week before, there were no Go Vahras, navals or vil de bears jumping at anyone. Nor were there any big, easily reachable monsters like Kogg Nadds and Polavahras for fighters to quickly grab and kill mid into their PAs. Many monsters act differently. There are mobile offensive monters like Go vahras, Polavahras, Vil de Vears, Kogg Nadds, Navals, Kamatozes and Ageetas, all of which fighters are more effective against. And then there's stationary, passive monsters like Jarbas, Oghomons (ice ones only), Vandas, and robots, all of which gunners are most effective against. This week, we witnessed an abundance of the later type of monsters, moreso than the first type.

It is true gunners have ruled this week, however I believe this has only compensated against fighters (and techers to a degree) ruling last week. As far as care, these two weeks have balanced each type of class out.

As for the Hive mission series, I think It'll require a balance between both range and meelee. Range to quicken the time spent facing Dulk Fakis (B/c it is basically impossible to kill DF w/ 3 FFs and 1 FT) and fighters to quickly kill the aggressive monsters in the EX mission.

Gen2000
Nov 1, 2007, 06:29 PM
On 2007-11-01 14:34, JAFO22000 wrote:

They don't even have trouble against them, Duranga or a high element spear owns Kog nadd, Spinning Strike destroys Buffed Vandas and Duranaga or Burn Xbow on Kamatozes or just old fashion sniping with Burn Rifle if you're lazy since Neudiaz has alot of cornerpoints to abuse in the areas they spawn in.

If you actually use -all- the options available to class fGs really doesn't have any weakness, Beast and Cast fGs are even more awesome because you slap on their special abilities on top of the fG greatness.

I still think fFs are just as good as them though since these latest PAs came out. The only difference is that the fG can be thrown into any type of mission and perform well while the fFs kind of hits a wall vs. certain enemy types or mob spawns but still own 90% of missions pretty easy anyways.

(B/c it is basically impossible to kill DF w/ 3 FFs and 1 FT)

Huh? fFs wreck DF if they actually use good weapons vs. him.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gen2000 on 2007-11-01 16:33 ]</font>

Sylpheed
Nov 1, 2007, 06:35 PM
On 2007-11-01 16:26, pokefiend wrote:
A few have already addressed my view against the gunner > fighter subject, nevertheless I will add to the disscussion.

I believe gunners were the effective damage dealer this week, b/c unlike the week before, there were no Go Vahras, navals or vil de bears jumping at anyone. Nor were there any big, easily reachable monsters like Kogg Nadds and Polavahras for fighters to quickly grab and kill mid into their PAs. Many monsters act differently. There are mobile offensive monters like Go vahras, Polavahras, Vil de Vears, Kogg Nadds, Navals, Kamatozes and Ageetas, all of which fighters are more effective against. And then there's stationary, passive monsters like Jarbas, Oghomons (ice ones only), Vandas, and robots, all of which gunners are most effective against. This week, we witnessed an abundance of the later type of monsters, moreso than the first type.

It is true gunners have ruled this week, however I believe this has only compensated against fighters (and techers to a degree) ruling last week. As far as care, these two weeks have balanced each type of class out.

As for the Hive mission series, I think It'll require a balance between both range and meelee. Range to quicken the time spent facing Dulk Fakis (B/c it is basically impossible to kill DF w/ 3 FFs and 1 FT) and fighters to quickly kill the aggressive monsters in the EX mission.

Sorry, but i have to disagree with that statement. I don't think FF's and FT's 'ruled' the Parum and Moatoob missions (espeically Moatoob). Imo FF's were only needed for the EX mission on Moatoob for the Kog Nadd's and the Bil de Vears.

ThEoRy
Nov 1, 2007, 06:53 PM
On 2007-11-01 15:29, Chaobo99 wrote:
Yea I agree only on neudiaz so far that gunners are good. On parum and moatoob, 4 fortetechers have been able to breeze through it :]

Yeah I was pretty sick back in the day...
{remembers last week}

BigBadWolf
Nov 1, 2007, 06:57 PM
this is exactly why FFs get bumpcus in AoI.

pokefiend
Nov 1, 2007, 07:01 PM
On 2007-11-01 16:35, Sylpheed wrote:

On 2007-11-01 16:26, pokefiend wrote:

Sorry, but i have to disagree with that statement. I don't think FF's and FT's 'ruled' the Parum and Moatoob missions (espeically Moatoob). Imo FF's were only needed for the EX mission on Moatoob for the Kog Nadd's and the Bil de Vears.

You fail to understand the EX mission is basically the most significant and important part about the mission itself. Who cares if some party can finish the mission in 4 less minutes. It's all about getting to the last set of boxes, and as far as I've seen in both the moatoob EX missions and the second Parum EX mission specifically, gunners only slowed the party down.