PDA

View Full Version : How do you manage alts?

DonRoyale
Nov 4, 2007, 03:05 PM
topic C:

Weeaboolits
Nov 4, 2007, 03:08 PM
I'll play each character differently, for example one of them will be focused on fighter classes, while another gunner classes, and so on.

Indica
Nov 4, 2007, 03:12 PM
Whatever character class my party needs me, I am ready to fight.

Leveling 3 Characters is a bit tough at times, but Ive managed to do it

Randomness
Nov 4, 2007, 03:20 PM
I use em to get variety... but ever since starting wartecher on my main, my fighgunner alt has been collecting dust.

New_One
Nov 4, 2007, 03:25 PM
My alts usually become my Main, which in turn...usually get replaced by another alt cause I get bored of them.

Zorafim
Nov 4, 2007, 03:27 PM
If I were to level an alt, it would be to level PAs to transfer to Levia without the need of her leveling them herself.
Maybe if I get bored of using Levia (Ha!), I'll transfer some of her unnecessary PAs to the alt for backup PAs, and mainly use unleveled PAs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-11-04 12:37 ]</font>

BanF
Nov 4, 2007, 03:35 PM
I have four mains, not a single alt. They are all equally important.

Mwabwetumba
Nov 4, 2007, 03:36 PM
I plan on having four equal characters when AoI gets here. Although one of them will probably be quite a bit higher-leveled than the rest..

Kamiense
Nov 4, 2007, 03:49 PM
I have alts for all different situations. I have my fighter (Azarius: fF, Fi), my caster (Kiron: fT, aT), my Ranger (RSX-44 ver. 00: gT, fG, PT), and finally my quick fighter (wT, aF). That covers all the classes, so I can get every S rank as well.

Anduril
Nov 4, 2007, 03:50 PM
I just play as my alts to mix things up. I have my Main as a Fortetecher/Guntecher/Fortegunner, my 2nd alt as a Fighgunner/Wartecher, and my third as a Fortefighter. My main is in the 70's and the other 2 in the 20's but with 1up they are starting to really level well.

Xencia
Nov 4, 2007, 03:52 PM
I use all four of my characters alot,and they're spread pretty evenly,80/71/69/68. My Cast and Beast are a little behind and will likely get a bit further behind still,haven't done much with them in the Cup,because I want AoI classes for em,but they used to be the highest,before the Cup.

Mystil
Nov 4, 2007, 03:57 PM
I dont play any alts.

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 4, 2007, 04:07 PM
I do use alts, although unlike most people, I have ALL four of them being Hunters in some shape or another, although each of my characters specialize in different weapons.

Noblewine
Nov 4, 2007, 04:07 PM
I make an ALT to see what other weapons I can use that fit my style of gameplay.

Zoamel_Gustav
Nov 4, 2007, 04:37 PM
I have a main, an alt, another alt and my brother's main. I need more slots. I used to make one shot alts for player run events, before I started The NPC Price Shop. Zoa and Zel are leveled but I'm only playing the other two for feathers.

Shardio
Nov 4, 2007, 04:43 PM
I use my main to try out all classes. I mean, the type switching system is there for a reason! Alts... they are there for cyootiness.

Kylie
Nov 4, 2007, 04:56 PM
Kylie will always be my main, and I'll make sure she's taken care or capped before I focus on my alts (like now). My alts are mainly to test out new classes, clothing, styles, etc.

Wallin
Nov 4, 2007, 05:48 PM
I was trying to raise a couple of alts, mostly for feathers at this point. I was trying to level my Newman fT since she was able to use Magical Wands and Halarods that my human can't, but since I'll probably be playing Acrotecher in AoI I'll probably focus on getting my main to 100.

But so far I have a level 100 Striking, Armor, and Technic PM, and my Ranged is 63 and climbing with Fireworks, so they're not useless anyway. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I love how my female Newman and my male CAST look which is why I haven't really given up on them... not that crazy about how my Beast looks though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wallin on 2007-11-04 14:50 ]</font>

jayster
Nov 4, 2007, 05:53 PM
I use my alts when I get bored of my main character. I got bored of jayster for a while and raised my alt to level 60, then I decided to make jayster a fortegunner and iv been busy leveling his bullets and getting good guns. Haven't really touched my alt in about 5 months or so... lol.

Shishi-O
Nov 4, 2007, 07:13 PM
On 2007-11-04 12:35, BanF wrote:
I have four mains, not a single alt. They are all equally important.

ditto I can't imagine life without any of mine all covering force/ hunter/ ranger types.

Btw where is the all of the above function/ choice

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shishi-O on 2007-11-04 16:17 ]</font>

GreenArcher
Nov 4, 2007, 07:23 PM
I'll play my alts when I get bored of playing Green just to change things up. I'll typically play the said alt for a few days nonstop, and then be back on my main for another few months

ThEoRy
Nov 4, 2007, 07:33 PM
Alts? what are they?

mizukage
Nov 4, 2007, 09:34 PM
I usually keep 1 alt. character and do the balancing part after I achieve a certain amount of meseta and a heavy arsenal for my main character. It takes quite a LONG time though, but its worth it. Okay, maybe not really.. Alt. characters serve the purpose of enjoying the game further by getting to use different stuff...

On 2007-11-04 16:33, ThEoRy wrote:
Alts? what are they?

Alt. = Alternative

Dragwind
Nov 4, 2007, 09:58 PM
I have what I consider to be 2 "main's."

Other than that, my alts are just for PA lvling purposes and PM synthing.

Criss
Nov 4, 2007, 11:15 PM
I have a main, an alt... and an alternative alt that I rarely ever play. >.>

Jaspaller
Nov 4, 2007, 11:31 PM
I play my alts whenever I get bored or want to do some low level character leveling. They also come in handy for events like this so I can get extra stuff (4 song for deaths, plus all the rappy feathers in the world!). Besides that, mainly to play a different style. Once the expansion rolls out with its PA swapping, I'll still be playing these characters since they are better suited at what they do than other stuff.

Remedy
Nov 5, 2007, 12:39 AM
I don't play alts in the slightest, and am sick of having prime FT gear taken by FFs/FiGs/FGs for their FT alts that all of them apparently have.

Fuck alts.

Libram
Nov 5, 2007, 01:00 AM
I use all my characters equally and have all four pure PMs. I guess that makes me the bane of Remedy's existence. Ouch.

Remedy
Nov 5, 2007, 01:23 AM
No, because I'd assume you'd have enough moral fiber to let a piece of gear go to a main that was present when it fell instead of to an alt.

But then again... assumptions. *shrug*

Finae
Nov 5, 2007, 01:27 AM
Lol yes, I suck for having this thing called a "alt." In a game like FFXI, I would consider using that term since it would be impossible to lvl another one of those to 75 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

I have no alts, all 4 slots are my mains and have x PM ;P. When I need to fill a certain position in group....
1. I can be a FF/Fg
2. I can be a FT
3. I can be average (human http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)
4. I can be a FG

I look to see how the group is set up class/race wise, then I go from there. As of late, its 1 up and GC so mainly FF since well....FT on EX not all that hot ;P.

And when I get bored of playing one too much, I just go to the other one and when I get bored of that one, I go back to another or back to the original. Only problem with having many high lvl characters is gear and muling. Its like hauling a ton of gear from one place to another. Gets annoying.

I was just never a person who can play one class or race for life. That is really boring imo. Can't think of one online game I played where I just had one class and thats all I could be from now until the day I quit ;P.

Tho if someone wanted to know which would be my main, it would be my Beast M FF. I always been meat shield + melee dd in mmos. So to answer the OP question, equally.

Powder Keg
Nov 5, 2007, 01:30 AM
Sometimes, it's nice to steer away from being a Force every once in a while and be a lazy fighter.

-Tidus_415-
Nov 5, 2007, 01:56 AM
On 2007-11-04 21:39, Remedy wrote:
Fuck alts.

Agreed...The only reason I have an alt now is because of the 36 PA limit. But once AotI gets here im taking all her PA's, money, weapons and armor then deleting her.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Tidus_415- on 2007-11-04 22:57 ]</font>

Remedy
Nov 5, 2007, 03:58 AM
I don't even have that issue myself, but again, unlike other people, I keep to one class. *points at sig* Melee bores me, and playing a Ranger doesn't seem that much more thrilling either.

Winter_of_uno
Nov 5, 2007, 04:28 AM
I only focus on 2 Chars (Human PT, Cast fG). Was FF with Human first and also tried FG with him but PT and fG are the 2 classes I like best so far, so there's not even a need for me to start a 3rd Char, not to mention that I would go nuts as a Techer with Weapon lag on PS2, switching between traps and weps takes long enough.

-Ryuki-
Nov 5, 2007, 04:32 AM
With my main, I made she he was at cap before worrying about my alts. I'd then level one of my alts (in my case, Rins was the one I focused on right after Ryuki) to a certain lvl. Once THAT was met, I lvled another alt to the same lvl, then my last alt to a lvl a little lower than the rest. As you can tell by my sig, their lvls are coming along (but that's not saying much considering a handful of people already have 2-4 lvl 100 alts x_x)

Raine_Loire
Nov 5, 2007, 04:41 AM
Hmm, my main is 47, but I'm starting to level up my alt, namine just to get more rappy feathers. I'd like to get all 10s on C with her before it's over. My "main alt" if you will is Washu, she's a level 1 with a starter mag, but I use her to sell stuff. That way I don't have people tramping through my lovely room, stepping on my plants.

Gen2000
Nov 5, 2007, 08:51 AM
Having one character is too boring to me plus I actually like to get a hands-on impression of different race/combos for myself instead of making half-assed guesses on how effective they are in combat (i.e. Beast Guntecher kicks ass btw). Also I feel playing different race/class combos made me better at others, i.e. playing as a fT I understand how annoying non-cooperative melee/gunners can be and vice versa.

I put an equal amount of time and effort into all of them making sure they don't suck so they more like 4 mains I guess. The only problem I have with managing four high level characters is money, dividing the money 4 ways makes me poorer than a lot of other players but also makes the game more fun to me because it feels like I'm managing a mini army or something.

Kinako78
Nov 5, 2007, 08:57 AM
On 2007-11-04 12:36, Mwabwetumba wrote:
I plan on having four equal characters when AoI gets here. Although one of them will probably be quite a bit higher-leveled than the rest..

Same here.

RadiantLegend
Nov 5, 2007, 08:58 AM
Just look good.

F-Gattaca
Nov 5, 2007, 09:05 AM
Well, there's me, the main. But now I've hit the end of my leveling journey in PSU, a year after I started it.

I have two alts and one "off-main" as I call it. You know the term "Off Broadway," which refers to plays or musicals which aren't played on the big-time Broadway theaters yet still have a showing in reasonably large ones?

That's kinda how I view my off-main Raul DiUragano. I haven't paid as much attention to leveling him as I have my own self, yet he's still more important to me than the other alts, and I'm going to try and bring him up a bit.

MSAksion
Nov 5, 2007, 09:11 AM
I have a Tech casting Newgirl main 95
I have a Gunslinger human girl 80 - i created her when Techer reached cap of 50.
I have a Trap laying CAST Protranser 33 - i created when Techer reached cap of 70.
I have a swordsman extraordinaire Beast 25 - i created when Techer reached cap of 90.

So i have one of each though with my schedules i barely have enough time to go through with my last 2. My mains are up and running and will honestly be 100 before this 1cup thing is over. Hopefully. Maybe. Probably. MEH close enough for AOI.

Reipard
Nov 5, 2007, 09:11 AM
I don't play alts in the slightest, and am sick of having prime FT gear taken by FFs/FiGs/FGs for their FT alts that all of them apparently have.

You basically hate alts because people aren't giving you rares they found while grouped with you? That is an incredibly selfish thing to say.

Elley
Nov 5, 2007, 11:39 AM
Not a fan of alts. All alts do is take away progression from my main character http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SolomonGrundy
Nov 5, 2007, 12:29 PM
I made alts so that I would always be able to bring someting to a team. if there was a mission that fFs were non-ideal - like labs, I could bring a gunner. If there were missions that required a techer...well, I didn't want a FT (coming from fF, I could not handle the lower HP), so I made a WT.

not sure why I made a Human PT. Everyone else was doing it?

amtalx
Nov 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
I work on my alt when my main is capped. I went gunner (main) and techer (alt) since banging my head against enemies puts me to sleep.