PDA

View Full Version : Was anything confirmed on more character slots?

Powder Keg
Nov 9, 2007, 06:33 PM
Topic.

I'm definitely not interested in restarting any characters I have now since they have Pure PM's.

Nyreal
Nov 9, 2007, 06:45 PM
No... I don't think that they're going to do that. Only in Japan, last I checked. We're still stuck with four.

Wallin
Nov 9, 2007, 06:55 PM
I guess in somewhere one of the GMs said that we're not expected to get extra character slots, not really surprising I guess. I'm the same, just got my last pure PM so I can't recreate any characters either.

Reipard
Nov 9, 2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I'm attached to all four of my chars :. Don't feel like recreating any of em. If we didn't get more slots, it'd be too bad.

Jennara
Nov 9, 2007, 07:27 PM
Yeah...I personally think this sucks. I mean, I KNOW the JP players are only really getting them cause of the server merge, but still... regardless of the reason, they are getting 8 slots, so I think it would be fair to give us 8 slots too. It's not like they're running out of space on the servers... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
My bro and I both play, and BESIDES the fact that getting a second account would be technically against the EULA, having another 10 bucks a month in expenses is not really a great idea for us right now. It sure would be nice to be able to create more than TWO characters each though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Wallin
Nov 9, 2007, 07:28 PM
I wonder how the Japanese 360 players feel about not getting the extra 4 character slots like their PC/PS2 buddies do.

Lyrise
Nov 9, 2007, 07:40 PM
On 2007-11-09 16:28, Wallin wrote:
I wonder how the Japanese 360 players feel about not getting the extra 4 character slots like their PC/PS2 buddies do.

Quite frankly, they wouldn't care; in fact they're probably happy about it. What it boils down to, is the situation that caused the mess in the first place. When you have to rig up an auto-fire method, leave it on for 30 minutes to 2 hours, hope the cursor is on the character you wish to play, and repeat this process for 2 months, lest you wish to leave your PC/PS2 on 24/7 till the next maintenance, you tend to view that 4 extra slots on a completely separate server is not worth the time you wasted trying to get onto the servers in the first place (since you have to give up any progress you made on world 1 just to start fresh on world 2).

mizukage
Nov 9, 2007, 07:53 PM
Still 4 slots? I was originally disappointed, but that was before my ps2 memory card got corrupted. Considering that I am having trouble leveling up my main character, while having 3 extra slots for alts. I am no longer disappointed at not getting more character slots. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

AxelgearVII
Nov 9, 2007, 08:48 PM
Interview in which GMs say "no you're not getting 4 extra slots" in their usual roundabout manner.

http://www.switchpod.com/f43343.html?puser=none

ThEoRy
Nov 9, 2007, 08:58 PM
It has been confirmed long ago that only jp pc/ps2 players will recieve 4 more slots as the result of the worlds merging together.

mizukage
Nov 9, 2007, 09:05 PM
On 2007-11-09 17:58, ThEoRy wrote:
It has been confirmed long ago that only jp pc/ps2 players will recieve 4 more slots as the result of the worlds merging together.

Wait.. Does that mean...... If you buy a JP version ps2 and a JP version of PSU and AOI, you will automatically get 4 extra slots??? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Edit: One question, does the JP ps2 work with the US ps2 AC adapter? I don't plan on having a sudden black out in the future... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mizukage on 2007-11-09 18:06 ]</font>

BaconZero
Nov 10, 2007, 01:28 AM
this is bull...total bull... -_-
shows how lazy Sega is at making stuff equal for us over here. but no...they just decide that the none japnese players get none of the good stuff...

And that fact that they are too lazy to fix what hal says to the party leader (your name, Mr.) now that is lazy.

Lyrise
Nov 10, 2007, 04:22 AM
Did anyone even read what I said earlier? This has nothing to do with equality. It was the only way to fix an incredibly annoying experience.

We didn't get 4 extra slots just cause they were being nice, we got 4 extra slots to be used in the new world that only people willing to make the sacrifice ever used, just to fix a problem that everyone was getting pissed off at. The reason why we even get a supposed 8 is due to the server merge. There are people who play on both worlds, and you can't really delete 4 characters just cause there isn't enough room now, can you? Of course, we totally expect the merge to be delayed AGAIN. Therefore we still don't really have 8 until they do merge it. But since it was originally used to solve a big problem, that doesn't exist on the American servers, most likely due to lack of popularity, and not of a coding issue, its still rather slim that the US server players should hope to get it.

And be honest. How many of you out there are willing to start completely fresh again for 4 new characters with no access to your existing shared box, and no means of powerlevelling with ease?

I know this sounded rather selfish coming from me, but I'm in a particularly foul mood ATM.

Krisan
Nov 10, 2007, 08:23 AM
When people think of the eight charslots they're already thinking post-merge, Lyrise. And people over here want eight simply because they've used up their current four slots, leveled their charactersclasseswhatever.. and would like to start someone new, or try something different.. but not have to delete one of their old characters in order to do it.

Yea, yea.. People will probably come in here about how they don't even use the four they have now.. Good for them though, some of us are a lot more productive than that.. or are just plain more creative. More Characters = Fun to some people.. and eight isn't really asking for a lot..

Also, yea, it is quite clear why the JP version has eight, but it wouldn't exactly hurt for us to get eight after the JP World merge takes place, would it? There -is- a certain equality to that.. since, although we never experienced the problem of having separate worlds to begin with, we -could- reap the benefits of its solution in our own way.. And anyway, yea, having to pay for a second account (which is amusingly against the EULA for no good reason) is quite a hassle just to get a few extra charslots..

Omega-chan
Nov 10, 2007, 08:32 AM
I'd like 8 too, just sayin'.

ThEoRy
Nov 10, 2007, 10:14 AM
yeah well don't http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif jk
people are touchy round hurr

Rashiid
Nov 10, 2007, 10:42 AM
one last time.

YOU DO NOT NEED FUCKING 8 CHARACTERS.

that is all.

Reipard
Nov 10, 2007, 10:46 AM
Oooh, random angry outburst for no justifiable reason!

Calm down.

Remedy
Nov 10, 2007, 10:47 AM
Actually, if you wanted to properly take advantage of the nuances of each race, class, and gender combination, you WOULD need 8 characters.

I mean, I only use one slot, but I see no reason why NOT to give use 8 slots.

Pengfishh
Nov 10, 2007, 10:48 AM
I'd appreciate eight slots just for funnin' about.

Authenticate
Nov 10, 2007, 10:56 AM
Meh. My main is still just 65 after 10 months. More character slots are the last thing I need. I wouldn't mind having 5 slots though, just so I could have one of everything in terms of clothing styles (fleshy male/female, cast male/female) and still have a spot open to make whatever has 3 luck for grinding purposes.

Wallin
Nov 10, 2007, 11:14 AM
On 2007-11-10 07:42, Rashiid wrote:
one last time.

that is all.

And for the last time, nobody cares whether or not you NEED 8 character - if they want 8, they want 8. Last I checked, if you didn't give a crap about the 4 extra slots, you didn't have to use them.

People who shout about how dense the players are who want 4 more slots are pots calling the kettle black.

Bitey
Nov 10, 2007, 02:46 PM
There are only two genuine arguments as to why extra character slots are needed. The first argument is for anyone that truly wants to make one character for every race/gender combination available. The second argument is for those who still want to use new character exploits (like making a 3 star luck race just for grinding or making new characters and stealing their clothing/parts then repeating the process) while still being able to have a pure synth bot in all four categories.

Since the latter is an exploit, thinking as a developer, one argument based off from trivial stat differences (there is not that much of a difference in damage between a Female Beast and a Male Beast) hardly warrants enough of a problem to buy new server space and spend hours programming new character slots, especially since those new character slots support the previous mentioned exploit as well.

The only other reason I can come up with for more character slots is if somebody actually did max out all four of their characters and want to start from the bottom again, but that problem can be seen in any MMO and you cannot expect the game developers to constantly expand their servers and pay more money just so that a handful of power gamers who did not take the time to enjoy the game can rush through it again... I can also guarantee that their are not many others who share the problem anyway.

Creating extra character slots for a game not only takes money for staffing and programming purposes, but the developers would also have to buy a larger server to handle the space required. For us to whine and complain for them to do that for such petty reasons on our behalf is very greedy more so even because this MMO is far cheaper than other MMOs.

The Japanese actually did not get anything new, they just had a server merge (the developers put together stuff they already had) so the extra character slots came from access to the new server players did not have previously. If the XBox and PC/PS2 servers were ever combined here we would see the same thing, but that cannot happen until the developers and XBox Live come to certain understandings.

EDIT: Actually, I would bet that the developers plan on an eventual server merge for us.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bitey on 2007-11-10 11:52 ]</font>

Deissa
Nov 10, 2007, 02:52 PM
On 2007-11-10 11:46, Bitey wrote:
The Japanese actually did not get anything new, they just had a server merge (the developers put together stuff they already had) so the extra character slots came from access to the new server players did not have previously.

No, we're still waiting on that... they'll try again sometime this month, I think for the third time, but I wouldn't be surprised if that goes up to a fourth time.

pikachief
Nov 10, 2007, 02:54 PM
On 2007-11-10 07:42, Rashiid wrote:
one last time.

that is all.

I know but i dont like having my 1st character switching between protranser fortefighter and fortegunner constantly

my second switching around wiht acrofighter, fighgunner, and wartcher.

my 3rd character switching around with acrotecher and fortecher.

and my 4th with guntecher and fortegunner.

with 8 slots it would make it much easier to go about wiht my classes.

Konstanse_Xx
Nov 10, 2007, 02:58 PM
Bitey I believe just won the thread, the JP got nothing new. The developers just put stuff together, you're asking for them to make new room and hire more people to put 4 slots that we don't really need. Did PSO:BB have this issue? I believe the type restrictions were MUCH tighter then and you had only 4 slots...Heck people make all jobs on 1 player in this game, it's entirely possible for you to do it on 4 especially with AoI coming out.

If you want a new char but don't want to delete your hard work(PA's), then wait til AoI and put it in disc form, there has to be a compromise. AoI is so friendly to new characters now from what I've seen.

Reipard
Nov 10, 2007, 02:58 PM
Since the latter is an exploit, thinking as a developer, one argument based off from trivial stat differences (there is not that much of a difference in damage between a Female Beast and a Male Beast) hardly warrants enough of a problem to buy new server space and spend hours programming new character slots, especially since those new character slots support the previous mentioned exploit as well.

Do you honestly think it takes hours of programming and that much new space for four more character slots? You really shouldn't try to argue things from a developer's perspective if you have no idea how software development actually works.

Needless to say, nobody is asking Sega to constantly expand on their servers. The Japanese are getting their two servers merged and the benefit of the extra character slots came from there. It would be rather nice if we got that upgrade, that is all everyone is saying.

Witchblade56
Nov 10, 2007, 03:12 PM
I thought AoI grants us the ability to take currently leveled PA's and stick them into disk form?

If that's the case then the only heartbreak in remaking a character would be the PM. I'm not saying im going to do that but heck it sure gives us another opportunity to makenew chars

Dragwind
Nov 10, 2007, 03:24 PM
Well they had 2 worlds for one server...so yeah. Combining - hence more slots.

Rashiid
Nov 10, 2007, 03:52 PM
I knew it wouldn't be too long till ppl started complaining about wanting more stuff.

tisk tisk.

God could throw 50million dollars at yall, and still find something to complain about.
'Why are they all 100 dollar bills? I WANTZ IT IN ONES NAO!!!'

stfu and play, damn.

Reipard
Nov 10, 2007, 05:59 PM
I knew it wouldn't be too long till ppl started complaining about wanting more stuff.

tisk tisk.

God could throw 50million dollars at yall, and still find something to complain about.

stfu and play, damn.

You're the one complaining the most in this thread, buddy.

pikachief
Nov 10, 2007, 06:08 PM
On 2007-11-10 12:52, Rashiid wrote:

tisk tisk.

stfu and play, damn.

lol wouldn't be long? people have been asking for more slots before the exansion was even released XD lol

Wallin
Nov 10, 2007, 08:00 PM
On 2007-11-10 11:46, Bitey wrote:
There are only two genuine arguments as to why extra character slots are needed. The first argument is for anyone that truly wants to make one character for every race/gender combination available.

And why isn't this worthwhile in itself? If players didn't want variety, then Sega wouldn't have gone through the trouble of making a truckload of clothing available between PSO and PSU.

I for one actually enjoy buying clothes and using the makeover system. So does everyone else who is currently online spamming for 10-point missions over and over for feathers just so they can get formal and bikini items. So does everyone who requests to see the the new AoI clothing, and all the people who were thrilled that we hit the 3 million mark for free makeovers.

If you think that's not worthwhile enough or a stupid waste of time just to enjoy decking out your characters, what the heck do you think is a good use of your time? Being an obsessed loot whore? Trying to be the first one to hit the level cap? Being an elitist snob? Yes, because we know how beloved certain people are around these forums who are like all of those things. I'll actually be glad when the 1-Up event is over. All I do now is stress out over not being able to get 10 on missions, not being able to get Har/Quick and other rare weapons and units, and then complain to anyone who unfortunately happens to be nearby.

If I want to dress up an alt and go out and beat up "cute" Pannons for fun rather than going out on my main with bloodshot eyes and zombie-like complexion mumbling "rares" and "pa frags" with drool coming out of the side of my mouth, then you should be so lucky.

I think it's really neat that CASTs can change the color of their formalwear and bikini wear just by changing their color scheme - it's certainly a whole lot friendlier than getting 100 feathers for the non-"cybernetic lifeforms", and CASTs even get more colors! But I only have a male CAST, so I will never have the pleasure of running around in a black dress or even a maid outfit pre-AoI. Sounds tragic? No, obviously not really, but I'd still rather hear someone talking about something stupid like that than hearing myself talking about the 7 hours I wasted last night trying to find 10-point groups for B Moatoob for my main and two alts and arguing with people about the time limit to get 5 points and watching people at the switches with the fake wall running around like morons in the wrong directions only to fail the friendship check 4 minutes later because they forgot they were the group leader and left their partner behind dumbfounded at the starting point. BAH! USELESS PEOPLE!!

Creating extra character slots for a game not only takes money for staffing and programming purposes, but the developers would also have to buy a larger server to handle the space required. For us to whine and complain for them to do that for such petty reasons on our behalf is very greedy more so even because this MMO is far cheaper than other MMOs.

The Japanese actually did not get anything new, they just had a server merge (the developers put together stuff they already had) so the extra character slots came from access to the new server players did not have previously. If the XBox and PC/PS2 servers were ever combined here we would see the same thing, but that cannot happen until the developers and XBox Live come to certain understandings.

As for the "staffing and programming purposes", it's exactly as you said, the Japanese didn't get anything new. All SoA has to do is translate, just like they do everything else in this game because they don't ever add anything new, they just translate the stuff that already exists. And 90% of the work is already done, we already have the character select screen, all we need is a button in the menu for 'World 1' or 'World 2', and an extra server. And trust me, with the size of the player population we have it probably wouldn't even require a larger server, just putting to good use the dead space on the ones they already have. Character data is not that big, we already know that from offline mode and from PSO.

Will we live without 4 extra character slots, me in particular? Yeah. But if someone asks if I would want 4 more, then again, I'm going to say yeah. And if it were difficult to do I would understand, but it's not hard to add the menu buttons, make four new character entries in the database using the default character template that already exists, and link the 4 entries to the account - even a newb programmer could figure that out in a few hours.

EDIT: Actually, I would bet that the developers plan on an eventual server merge for us.

I'm not even going to venture into the possibilities of that statement, but I will say that after seeing the 360 exploiting the machine gun glitch, I don't see the PC/PS2 servers being so different anymore.

Powder Keg
Nov 10, 2007, 08:11 PM

tisk tisk.

stfu and play, damn.

There is absolutely no need for you to be whining like a child. This is simple discussion. Don't like it? Leave.

Jennara
Nov 11, 2007, 12:22 AM

tisk tisk.

stfu and play, damn.

I resent that.
Who the hell are you to tell us what we should and shouldn't want? And as for your "God could throw..." etc. comment, please DO NOT compare us to those whiney morons who threaten to quit every other day because OMG Fortefighter DPS got nerfed I'M QUITTING THIS GAM F*** U SONIC TEAM!! */wrist*
The people in this thread are NOT those people. We are simply talking about a possible game feature (one that has been discussed for months) and saying "Boy, that would be cool wouldn't it" No one is threatening to quit or throwing a fit if we DON'T get it. Anyone who WOULD get so worked up over it deserves to be lumped in with the worst whiners, but (for the MOST part anyway) I don't see that in this thread.
All we're saying is it would be nice! NICE! Not "OMFG I can't believe Sonic Team is shafting us like this!!" And - as per your earlier post: "we don't NEED 8 fucking character slots", you said. OF COURSE WE DON'T. This is a GAME. We don't NEED anything!! We don't even "NEED" to play at all!! But...what's the harm in hoping for and discussing this neat thing we would like to see happen?
Get over yourself.
Oh, and Bitey...I think it's a little too cut and dry to say there are only certain "legitimate" reasons to want this (really, the only reason you need to wish it would happen is "I would like this to happen"), but also... there's situations like mine, where my bro and I are forced to share the account (since a 2nd account would cost money we don't have AND technically be against the EULA), and want more than TWO chars each.