PDA

View Full Version : PSU: I'm terribly sorry, I need to rant.

Omega-chan
Nov 10, 2007, 05:35 AM
Ohhhh...kay, rant ahead.

So, now that I've gotten a Platinum Perfect on my two highest-leveled characters, I've been taking my Fortetecher around to help out random parties. I usually luck out and get good parties, but tonight...oh man, I think that's the worst party I've been in for a long time. Let me lay out the basics...

- We were doing Moatoob on C-rank
- We were at the levels of 42, 32, 32 and 24
- Three of us, the 42 and the 32s (no, I'm not about to pull out an "omg low-level must be a nub"), knew the map like the backs of our hands

...Note the "three of us" there. That becomes important later, as at the beginning of the mission, us three who did know the map were under the impression that the fourth did as well.

The run started out well enough. The level 42 and I, both being Forces (I think she was a Fortetecher as well), were supporting and laying down a helping of severe asskick with Diga and Foie; the other level 32 was doing his part as a melee CAST, and the level 24 wasn't actually being all that moronic. We were doing really good, in fact, up until we got into the mines, and THAT is when it all went bad.

We discovered the level 24 did not know the map. He did not know what to do past the desert areas. Now, I could excuse this - would be more than willing to excuse it, in fact, I still get a bit lost on that map on occasion - if he had not proceeded to do his own thing, nearly get me and the other two killed several times, and cause us to miss the last 1Up chip and a couple of vital enemy spawns because we had to run off and bail his butt out of whatever he'd gotten himself into.

Wait, wait, I know. It's not that bad yet, right? Everyone messes up. Everyone has their off days. I know this well, I have plenty of bad days all by myself and try to be more forgiving of it than most other people would be. Well, here's where it gets to the part that really steamed me--

The level 24, just as we reached the area where an NPC may randomly join you (we had Tylor, which was the only redeeming factor from then on out) and were on our way to the first spawn in that area...

...called us all n00bs.

I can only guess that it's most likely because we weren't playing the game "his way", running all over the place to do god only knows what and get our asses beat.

Now, I admit to having a bit of a temper. So I told him "...YOU'RE the noob" (no one disagreed with me, so I'll admit I felt justified in calling him such) and we continued onward. That's about the time everything started to go to hell in a handbasket and everyone almost died several times. The CAST, our leader, brought this up just before we walked up to the laser fence before the friendship check, I agreed with some of the points he brought up, and then I was completely and totally blown out of the water at the response - "whut did i do", quoted exactly with the same bad spelling and lack of capitalization or punctuation as the original. The leader pointed out that he'd nearly gotten us all killed, I once again agreed (the other FO, probably quite wisely now that I think of it, was staying out of all this), and there came another response that just totally floored me - "how". Unless he was blind or something, how could he not have noticed we were always coming to his rescue and risking our own lives in the process? Well, we gave up at that point (smartest thing we'd done the whole time, I think) and went onward to finish the mission with a very, very dreary point total of 2 or 3 (I don't remember which offhand.)

All thanks to that one godsbedamned level 24 who didn't know what he was doing and made no effort to learn.

I suppose he got angry with us for not getting a full 10 points, because he once more called us n00bs and then left our party as soon as we got back to the club. I'm curious, now, as to how knowing the map, knowing what to do AND successfully bailing this moron's butt out several times constitutes us three being "n00bs", but I suppose I'm never going to understand idiot logic. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif It's not so much the results that burn me, either, as the fact that he blatantly disregarded several orders to follow someone who knew the map (once we realized he didn't know, as he'd stated he did) and to stop getting himself into situations he couldn't handle. Why do people play if all they're going to do is get their team into trouble and then come out with a much less eloquent equivalent of "Well, it's all your fault because obviously I am the best player in this party."?

I'm sorry, I needed that. And I really don't think I'm going to be helping random teams out again. That moron should be proud of himself for making teams in need lose the opportunity to have a damn good support fT in their party - oh wait...that's a bad thing, isn't it? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

(Edited to fix a small error, a missing " and a wrongly-used word. I'm pedantic tonight. <3)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Omega-chan on 2007-11-10 03:10 ]</font>

Noblewine
Nov 10, 2007, 02:15 PM
You should've booted the person after showing such behavior. I would've done that same trust me. Players who claim they know the map layout and perform badly at the same time shouldn't really be telling any lies to get into a party.

Broodstar1337
Nov 10, 2007, 03:16 PM
Kinda reminds me of a Parum run I just got out of.

I feel as if I know how to do these runs and get a ten on them considering I got two Platinum Perfects and whatnot. So we're about to go through the first set of teleporters and this other guy in my party says we gotta hit up the detours. We've heard it all before; "gotta kill all the monsters everywhere or else we don't get a ten". But see, we gotta kill the monsters along the main path. Last I checked, the Parum run was an intuition check and not a run around and kill everything run (though I admit I rip through all of block 3 just for shits and giggles and exp).

So I'm telling these guys that we don't have to go through detours to get a ten, but think they listen? Nah. I'm not too concerned since I'm running around in a party with levels ranging from 32 to 70, me being the lowest, so everyone can take care of themselves. But it's clear that my party has no intention of listening to the one guy in the party that actually had Platinum Perfect.

We get past the laser fence and I go off to the right and ask what we have to kill. No answer. Fine. I caught a lucky break when the other guy to the right picked off the Vahra. Two Vahra's spawn and I figure since we just killed an unbuffed Vahra, we gotta kill unbuffed Vahras. So we kill the unbuffed Vahra and Curtz says we killed the wrong guy. I just left after that.

Apparently Platinum Perfect isn't on anyone's agenda in this cup. Problem is with our community is that no one wants to be even the slightest bit submissive. I'm not saying be the party's bitch, but for fuck's sake, use some common sense. Guy's running around in a Rappy Suit, he probably knows what he's doing (And don't give me that "he just bought it" shit because it's easy to get Platinum Perfect in this game) and he probably routinely gets tens in his runs aside from the occasional hitch in the party. Keep an open mind and open communication; don't stray too far away from it.

Omega-chan
Nov 10, 2007, 06:37 PM
On 2007-11-10 11:15, Noblewine wrote:
You should've booted the person after showing such behavior. I would've done that same trust me. Players who claim they know the map layout and perform badly at the same time shouldn't really be telling any lies to get into a party.

I would have if I'd been the leader. As it is, I'm glad I wasn't, I probably would have ripped into the guy and then blacklisted/punted. I'm actually very impressed with my other teammates for giving him a chance to finish the mission, no matter how dismally we did.

mizukage
Nov 10, 2007, 09:35 PM
Ranting about PSU is actually permitted? Cool...

Omega-chan
Nov 11, 2007, 12:08 AM
It usually tends to lead to drama, but yes, it's permitted.

Weeaboolits
Nov 11, 2007, 02:25 AM
Er... Most of the topics in here are about PSU. >_>;

TetsuyaHikari
Nov 11, 2007, 03:37 AM
And most topics here are about ranting too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

But yeah, I can really understand where you're coming from. The same thing happened with me last night in a Parum A run, actually. I wasn't the leader, but..I specifically asked everyone, "Alright, so..does everyone know the map? Do you guys have enough supplies and have everything recharged?".

I don't ask this to test their intelligence or anything of the sort, some people just forget to restock or recharge weapons. So, they all replied with a form of, "Yes".

We got to the first chip and while I was killing the Badira, I put in a thought bubble, "Could someone please go get the chip?", because I honestly didn't need any help with the small fry, so..someone in the party said, "Yep" and I replied with, "Thanks" with a smile emote and continued my slaughter party http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

When the Shagreece (SP?) came out, I noticed we still hadn't got it yet. So, one of the party members that took the wrong portal (I thought she knew the map?) said, "I'll get it", so..I continued killing, now with the other two members.

Finally, we dispatched the Vahra and left the chip to the fourth member who claimed she would get it. So, we reached the next area..and mind you..we took the left portal in the very beginning, so, I put in a thought bubble as I rushed ahead, "Skip Badira".

While I was running towards the Vahra, the other two stayed back and started hitting the Badira with a reply of, "Nu uh. You kill them". So I just, "No..you don't. You skip if you take left in the beginning, you kill them if you take right".

She proceeded to call me a noob after slaying the second Badira before I could take out both of the Vahra on my own. The key (naturally) didn't fall. I said, "I told you...", then I put, "-_-" in a thought bubble and her immature response was, "w/e".

So, the other member finally caught up with us after we got the key and I noticed, we STILL didn't have the chip. So I asked her, "I thought you was getting the chip?" and she said, "oops, sorry =P", and even after that..she didn't go back.

We went through the laser fence, didn't get a NPC and one member went to the left while the rest of us went to the right and before anybody said ANYTHING, the two members started hitting the Koltova and before I could even type out, "STOP!", it was already dead.

One of the members said, "wtf? That's the right creature D:" and the other member said, "Ya! What's going on???", so I just grumbled to myself and told them, "And to think...you guys had the nerve to call ME a noob..", then left the party.

Some people...

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Darkly
Nov 11, 2007, 04:06 PM
I have also had very similiar experiences with people in this cup. Now i don't claim to be super intelligent but when someone doesn't understand the simple concept of TO THE LEFT OF THE DAMN FLOWER I really wonder where all the intelligence of people has gone.

Basically avoid playing with randoms as much as possible. However if you are stuck with one - perhaps prepare a small quiz for them to answer to join your party?

Randomness
Nov 11, 2007, 07:22 PM
Well, this reminds me of a party I ran into trying to get a perfect with my level 30 alt. We had proceeded to systematically eviscerate all the routes through the warps up to the third block. This is, by the way, the right map. As we're getting into the third block, someone says to skip the badira. I try to explain that its unnecessary, as we dont need the extra kills, but the rest of the party (Mostly higher level than me), proceeds to kill the Vanda while I fail miserably at taking out the Badira first.

I have to wonder whether these people have ever gotten the kills needed without it being the left map and not knowing to skip badira. (As was extremely common the first few days of the cup).

Only bright point in this was that the party was fairly overqualified, and so we still managed to finish in 20 min.

On a related note, I still find myself amazed at the illiteracy of party leaders. No matter how specific I am, they always manage to see only "looking for" and the letter. No matter how much text is inbetween, even.

Omega-chan
Nov 11, 2007, 10:58 PM
On 2007-11-11 16:22, Randomness wrote:
On a related note, I still find myself amazed at the illiteracy of party leaders. No matter how specific I am, they always manage to see only "looking for" and the letter. No matter how much text is inbetween, even.

God, I know. I've had to resort to putting mission-specific text in a different color, which seems to get their attention and make them realize, hey, maybe THAT'S WHAT I WANT when I get into a party. I mean, how hard is it to understand "I don't want to do Moatoob, it's hell on me because I just can not memorize that map and the enemies there tend to kill me very messily"? Well, in less words than that, but you get the point...