PDA

View Full Version : Just Counter, EVP, and Rangers

CelestialBlade
Nov 16, 2007, 11:21 AM
Couple questions regarding the subject matter outlined in the topic.

First, how good is JC on a Ranger-type? Any strategies people are picking up on already?

Second, is it useful enough to justify replacing a Rainbow unit on a Body slot with a high-grade Legs unit (at least Tero), for more JC opportunities? How much of a difference would one see from that gain in EVP? I've got a Newearl Guntecher, so my EVP is already pretty good, I just want to see if I can push it even farther.

pikachief
Nov 16, 2007, 11:22 AM
well about the rangers question, a shotgun with JC is very very good.

You shoot get hit, block it, then shoot them right back for critial damage on all 5 shots!!

its realy good on shotguns and u can get the JC in there more since your right next to them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Deissa
Nov 16, 2007, 11:24 AM
But Just Counter doesn't guarantee critical hits for bullets or techs.

pikachief
Nov 16, 2007, 11:24 AM
On 2007-11-16 08:24, Cadamar wrote:

it doesnt? i thought it did....

Deissa
Nov 16, 2007, 11:25 AM
Rangers can JC with criticals easily. They just can't do it with guns.

FlakariLeader
On 2007-11-16 08:24, pikachief wrote:

it doesnt? i thought it did....

Right, it's only for melee damage.

amtalx
JC isn't a guaranteed critical for rangers...only hunters.

amtalx
Nov 16, 2007, 11:26 AM
Nope, ST only gets on it's knees for melee classes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

CelestialBlade
Nov 16, 2007, 11:26 AM

Yeah, dumbest thing ever. I know melee is supposed to have the best DPS but I'm not sure what warrants us not being able to have guaranteed crit for JC.

pikachief
Nov 16, 2007, 11:27 AM
well u can sitll fit in another shotgun shot >.> lol

oh and typheros your title under your picture made me LOL

panzer_unit
Nov 16, 2007, 11:33 AM
JC should work best on long-reload firearms. Twins, Shotguns, Lasers and Bows... skipping some part of your delay between shots ought to be a big deal.

EVP is a diminishing-returns stat... every bit helps obviously, but something like Tero/Legs won't matter as much for a Newm GT as it would for a Cast.

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 16, 2007, 11:34 AM
On 2007-11-16 08:26, amtalx wrote:
Nope, ST only gets on it's knees for melee classes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Well, Rangers were very spoiled before now.

amtalx
Nov 16, 2007, 11:36 AM
On 2007-11-16 08:34, Shiroryuu wrote:

Very very true. But does that warrant a 50% boost in damage and LOLSLICERS? I think not.

pikachief
Nov 16, 2007, 11:36 AM
On 2007-11-16 08:34, Shiroryuu wrote:

yea my main is a ranger and im actually glad theres a class that is as good as or can possibly surpass us! i was getting tired of having to be a boring fortegunner to be the best. now i can go to protranser and be good! ^.^

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 16, 2007, 11:38 AM
Well, Hunters SHOULD do more damage, and Slicers are getting nerfed.

CelestialBlade
Nov 16, 2007, 11:38 AM
On 2007-11-16 08:33, panzer_unit wrote:
EVP is a diminishing-returns stat... every bit helps obviously, but something like Tero/Legs won't matter as much for a Newm GT as it would for a Cast.

True enough, it's like ATA. I guess I'll just see how often I can get in a successful JC and then try it with a Tero / Legs, seeing as I can buy them from NPCs in AoI.

And the whole "Rangers are spoiled" no longer applies. Melee classes win the DPS race hardcore, and us Rangers are hardly winning the SE race anymore because it's so easy for anyone to drop an SE on something, especially with the new AoI weaponry. Nobody seems to care if you have a SE4 Rifle anymore, at least not in my experience. I'm not calling us gimped yet, but we're definitely falling into more of a Support role, in my opinion.

panzer_unit
Nov 16, 2007, 11:41 AM
Does a gunner spend 50% more time firing off attacks than a fighter, between not having to jog from target to target, and not lying on their face and/or ass after taking hard hits? Potentially.

LOLSLICERS ... yeah, I hope they're not too crazy. On the other hand everyone's mercilessly hated on linear attacks for the entire history of PSU until now, so maybe it's not so bad. My one worry is that lasers won't compete even with 220% damage stagger and SE3.

amtalx
Nov 16, 2007, 11:42 AM
On 2007-11-16 08:38, Shiroryuu wrote:
Well, Hunters SHOULD do more damage, and Slicers are getting nerfed.

I agree, but they shouldn't be doing SO much damage that it makes SE obsolete, which is exactly what has happened. Yes, slicers are getting nerfed, but the jury is still out on how it's actually going to affect damage. For now though, ST just handed fFs a hacked J-sword on a silver platter..

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 16, 2007, 11:44 AM
Well, about the current state of slicers, people are saying that its so broken that its becoming worse than that Spread Needle in PSO DC, and that JP players are booting Slicer users, but no worry, its getting nerfed.

CelestialBlade
Nov 16, 2007, 11:44 AM
On 2007-11-16 08:41, panzer_unit wrote:
LOLSLICERS ... yeah, I hope they're not too crazy. On the other hand everyone's mercilessly hated on linear attacks for the entire history of PSU until now, so maybe it's not so bad. My one worry is that lasers won't compete even with 220% damage stagger and SE3.

I think Lasers will rival them when the Slicer nerf rolls around.

Slicers have been said, but Whips are kinda kicking our asses too. Guntechers don't get them for some reason, and they're far better for sticking SEs than Crossbows or Lasers. When we can't win at DPS we normally turn to SEs, but it seems we're now outclassed in that area too.

But on a more positive note, we do have a much better variety of tools in our arsenal than other classes, and while we don't seem to be the best in any one thing anymore, there isn't much we're bad at either. Seems to be the new Ranger motto in AoI.

amtalx
Nov 16, 2007, 11:46 AM
On 2007-11-16 08:41, panzer_unit wrote:

That's what I thought untill I saw the damage... I thought to myself "ST can't REALLY make something that powerful without noticing can they?" WRONG! Using JA each hit does about 2500 to every target and each hit in the combo is about as delayed as a Saber PA. You can easily rack up over 20k in a few seconds. Also, the line that enemies have to be in is more like a semi-circle.

panzer_unit
Nov 16, 2007, 11:55 AM
On 2007-11-16 08:44, Typheros wrote:
Slicers have been said, but Whips are kinda kicking our asses too. Guntechers don't get them for some reason, and they're far better for sticking SEs than Crossbows or Lasers. When we can't win at DPS we normally turn to SEs, but it seems we're now outclassed in that area too.

For some reason I can't really get my head around being impressed by whips, much less worried about them in terms of game balance. They hit a LOT of targets a decent number of times for relatively low damage... problem being that it's actually pretty infrequent that there are 6 targets handy, even moreso on a team.

At least there's no job with both slicers and whips.

Lamak
Nov 16, 2007, 12:39 PM
It'll be funny when we get Slicers, if they don't get nerfed before our launch. People will kick people FOR NOT using Slicers. >_>

Fleur-de-Lis
Nov 16, 2007, 01:09 PM
Interesting points that I hadn't considered for playing GT, guess I will try changing my strategy from DFP>EVP to the opposite.

Lamak, sad but true. I made a pact with myself not to use Slicers until the nerf, that way I can sleep at night.