PDA

View Full Version : You know what would've been BETTER than Just Attack?

Egg99
Nov 17, 2007, 12:55 AM
...is if they "just" took out the spam combat system in its entirety.

Just Attack is great, don't get me wrong. Not only does it bring back a little nostalgia but it also adds a pinch of thought to the combat system.

...but I really don't get it.

Why wouldn't they just remove the mash-attack-button system altogether? Instead of making JA's do 1.5x damage as an incentive to actually use them, wouldn't it have made more sense just to bring back timed attacks as the standard for combat? In my opinion that would've been a vastly superior idea; people wouldn't be bitching about such stupidly big numbers and at the same time we'd get an old hardcore PSO feel to the combat. I dunno, just thinking out loud really.

AxelgearVII
Nov 17, 2007, 01:02 AM
No.

DraginHikari
Nov 17, 2007, 01:03 AM
What would have that improved? The reason those were given to hunters is because of the tad disadvantage Hunter-typeshad in the first place.

RedMussel
Nov 17, 2007, 01:08 AM
On 2007-11-16 22:03, DraginHikari wrote:
What would have that improved? The reason those were given to hunters is because of the tad disadvantage Hunter-typeshad in the first place.

Remedy
Nov 17, 2007, 01:12 AM
On 2007-11-16 22:02, AxelgearVII wrote:
No.Right, because god forbid Techers have a glimmer of hope of being able to compete with meleers.

Sgt_Shligger
Nov 17, 2007, 01:23 AM
I like this idea. The only reason JA was introduced was to force people to time attacks. If they just stuck with the PSO system where you had to time attacks and just made standard moves stronger, then it would be fair.

pikachief
Nov 17, 2007, 01:24 AM
On 2007-11-16 22:12, Remedy wrote:

No.Right, because god forbid Techers have a glimmer of hope of being able to compete with meleers.

ljkkjlcm9
Nov 17, 2007, 01:32 AM
actually I was discussing this earlier, something like 100% accuracy for perfect timed attack would've been better imo

THE JACKEL

Sev
Nov 17, 2007, 02:28 AM
Yeah... Sega needs to hurry up and do something so Fighters are out of the spotlight. I'm too shy to have all of this attention directed at my job, and people are starting to think that I don't need them anymore. I'm lonely guys, don't leave me all alone because I got a boost. T-T

pikachief
Nov 17, 2007, 02:30 AM
On 2007-11-16 22:32, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
actually I was discussing this earlier, something like 100% accuracy for perfect timed attack would've been better imo

THE JACKEL

have u ever forgotten to type "THE JACKAL" at the end? or do u always remeber?

y not jsut put it in your sig? XD

Shishi-O
Nov 17, 2007, 04:08 AM
On 2007-11-16 22:03, DraginHikari wrote:

" tad "??

how bout huge?

Mortalis
Nov 17, 2007, 07:00 AM

Funny how times have changed. Hunters were thought to be superior in the beginning of PSU. Then FT's were thought to be rediculously broken. Now Hunters are back on top...God damn. Hows about we play the game just to have fun and not worry about which class is better?

RemiusTA
Nov 17, 2007, 07:06 AM
On 2007-11-16 21:55, Egg99 wrote:

Just Attack is great, don't get me wrong. Not only does it bring back a little nostalgia but it also adds a pinch of thought to the combat system.

Why wouldn't they just remove the mash-attack-button system altogether? Instead of making JA's do 1.5x damage as an incentive to actually use them, wouldn't it have made more sense just to bring back timed attacks as the standard for combat? In my opinion that would've been a vastly superior idea; people wouldn't be bitching about such stupidly big numbers and at the same time we'd get an old hardcore PSO feel to the combat. I dunno, just thinking out loud really.

Long story short, No.

And i never really asked this, but Techers cant benefit from JA with magic, can they?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2007-11-17 04:08 ]</font>

Mangekyou
Nov 17, 2007, 07:14 AM
My GOD! Don't complain, it's not like Sega sticks you a job (Hunter etc) and tells you to suck it up you get it!
They made it a choice for a reason, if you feel like bitching that much just go switch to hunter and start leveling... jezus!

Remedy
Nov 17, 2007, 07:15 AM
No, of course not.

We don't even get the Just Counter auto-critical, either. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Mangekyou
Nov 17, 2007, 07:19 AM

Force still get one major benefit. They can attack from a safe distance with relatively low danger. I can easily not get hit on my force on extra mode, but my hunter dies all the time. I lost my first whitill wing and dagger of serafi from that on my hunter! But my force kept them cuz he never dies :/

Callous
Nov 17, 2007, 08:34 AM
Completely agree with topic starter. I thought the same thing, and in my opinion it should have been that way from day one.

But hell, I'm not complaining too much. JA has addressed one of my major problems with PSU and I'm very happy it's there now.

RegulusHikari
Nov 17, 2007, 08:52 AM
On 2007-11-17 04:00, Mortalis wrote:
God damn. Hows about we play the game just to have fun and not worry about which class is better?

Schubalts
Nov 17, 2007, 09:32 AM
On 2007-11-17 05:52, RegulusHikari wrote:

God damn. Hows about we play the game just to have fun and not worry about which class is better?

You know that will never happen. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Weeaboolits
Nov 17, 2007, 10:15 AM
Accuracy isn't factored into the use of techs, isn't that an advantage for techers? ;o

Also, do techs even hit critical? I don't know, they just kind of kill everything offline. >.>;

Sekani
Nov 17, 2007, 10:25 AM
Making the timed-attack system the unavoidable standard would destroy PSU's combat engine.

You nostalgic nuts have gotten enough of your inferior game into the current one, learn when to call it a fucking day.

amtalx
Nov 17, 2007, 05:01 PM
On 2007-11-17 07:25, Sekani wrote:
Making the timed-attack system the unavoidable standard would destroy PSU's combat engine.

Because people don't have the coordination not do jumping jacks on their controller? I don't get it. The Normal/Hard/Special system worked. This doesn't.

McLaughlin
Nov 17, 2007, 05:08 PM

You aren't supposed to be able to compete. That's the whole point.

amtalx
Nov 17, 2007, 05:46 PM
On 2007-11-17 14:08, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

Not in terms of damage, no. But enemies should live long enough for other classes to serve a purpose. Why have debuffs and SE if they are dead before the force can get the spell off, or 1 tick of Virus can set in (assuming it's even alive long enough to land the SE).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: amtalx on 2007-11-17 15:19 ]</font>

Broodstar1337
Nov 17, 2007, 06:05 PM
On 2007-11-17 04:19, Mangekyou wrote:

Force still get one major benefit. They can attack from a safe distance with relatively low danger. I can easily not get hit on my force on extra mode, but my hunter dies all the time. I lost my first whitill wing and dagger of serafi from that on my hunter! But my force kept them cuz he never dies :/

Rangers can fight from a distance and they do a better job at it.

McLaughlin
Nov 17, 2007, 08:31 PM
On 2007-11-17 14:46, amtalx wrote:

On 2007-11-17 14:08, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

Not in terms of damage, no. But enemies should live long enough for other classes to serve a purpose. Why have debuffs and SE if they are dead before the force can get the spell off, or 1 tick of Virus can set in (assuming it's even alive long enough to land the SE).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: amtalx on 2007-11-17 15:19 ]</font>

I wasn't saying that it doesn't seem a little out of whack. It's just that his constant bitching about his class not having a monopoly on every portion of combat is really wearing on me.

EphekZ
Nov 18, 2007, 12:35 AM
wow, we haven't even gotten AoI yet and people bitch already...pathetic.

DrizaSiegmund
Nov 18, 2007, 12:43 AM

You know i have this thing.. when someone implements something new & exciting, I accept - appreciate AND enjoy it O,O have you tried that b'fore?

I'm a Newman Fighgunner / Wartecher, and for the FIRST TIME I get to NOT be the embarrassing person who is hitting for 20 damage on B Rank missions, and oft missing exp due to hitting for Zero.

I've been soo happy I tell my friends all the time.

I dunno, just thinking out loud really.

And don't ever let it happen again :/
Now let's ALL mention something we like! O,O

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrizaSiegmund on 2007-11-17 21:47 ]</font>

Nyreal
Nov 18, 2007, 12:56 AM
A callback to PSO would be rather nice... But I like the fact that this game is different.

amtalx
Nov 18, 2007, 01:10 AM
On 2007-11-17 21:35, EphekZ wrote:
wow, we haven't even gotten AoI yet and people bitch already...pathetic.

A lot of this is fueled by JP. True, we don't have it yet, but it's already a reality.

Mystil
Nov 18, 2007, 01:50 AM

Funny how times have changed. Hunters were thought to be superior in the beginning of PSU. Then FT's were thought to be rediculously broken. Now Hunters are back on top...God damn. Hows about we play the game just to have fun and not worry about which class is better?

Even if they were on par it would not be enough. Even if they could do more damage than melee, it would not be enough. Until people are able to one shot bosses, this will never stop.

amtalx
Nov 18, 2007, 02:04 AM
On 2007-11-17 22:50, Mystil wrote:

Even if they were on par it would not be enough. Even if they could do more damage than melee, it would not be enough. Until people are able to one shot bosses, this will never stop.

Regardless of the favored class in the past, never has there been a time where a single combo could knock out an entire mob. The system in the past has been unbalanced, yes, but now its simply broken.

Mystil
Nov 18, 2007, 09:25 AM
And if they nerf it to hell, there will be big baby modes flying about that.

panzer_unit
Nov 19, 2007, 02:22 PM
On 2007-11-17 23:04, amtalx wrote:
Regardless of the favored class in the past, never has there been a time where a single combo could knock out an entire mob. The system in the past has been unbalanced, yes, but now its simply broken.

If the gunners I was with last night weren't taking out an olgohmon each in the time it took me to run to melee range, I'd be inclined to agree.

amtalx
Nov 19, 2007, 02:37 PM
On 2007-11-19 11:22, panzer_unit wrote:

On 2007-11-17 23:04, amtalx wrote:

If the gunners I was with last night weren't taking out an olgohmon each in the time it took me to run to melee range, I'd be inclined to agree.

Well I can take out a single enemy before anyone gets there with the old system if I get there first. My point was only that fighters can wipe out entire spawns before the supporting classes get a chance to support. Honestly, the fighter damage isn't really what I have a problem with. It's that ST didn't give us enemies powerful enough to justify the current level of damage output. I think this is true for all classes in a way, but particularly true for fighters.

EDIT: And by "fighters" I mean a single fighter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: amtalx on 2007-11-19 11:39 ]</font>

panzer_unit
Nov 19, 2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I can't wait for tougher enemies. Right now there's room for a hint of strategy sometimes, giving your gunner a chance to flip the monster with a grenade before you start piling in with melee... waiting a second for that freeze or silence to proc before charging a Vanda... it's going to take higher-level enemies before a full team will break a sweat at all.

(I wonder if ST would be so kind as to un-nerf some of the rebalanced missions?)

amtalx
Nov 19, 2007, 06:30 PM
On 2007-11-19 12:04, panzer_unit wrote:
(I wonder if ST would be so kind as to un-nerf some of the rebalanced missions?)

*prays*

I think I'm the only person that wants the original bees back.

Chuck_Norris
Nov 20, 2007, 01:04 AM
On 2007-11-17 07:25, Sekani wrote:

You nostalgic nuts have gotten enough of your inferior game into the current one, learn when to call it a fucking day.

Thank you, GOD thank you! The whole PSO "slowed down combat" type of gameplay made it downright boring at times. With Just Attack, you can button mash if you want. Or you can slow it down, and do more damage. But God forbid you crazy-ass PSO fanatics don't get what you want.

Nyreal
Nov 20, 2007, 01:18 AM
I wouldn't call PSO inferior. The gameplay in this is much more fun, however, the premise, story, design, monsters, and levels were far superior in execution and inspiration.

But I will give you that PSU's combat, job, and weapon systems are much more entertaining.