PDA

View Full Version : Dope dealers and teachers...*sigh*

InfinityXXX
Nov 19, 2007, 06:31 PM
2 RANTS in one....

As some may know, i'm a freshmen at the worst college known to man (i'm not lying)and due to me refusing to pay 800 bucks (monthly) for dorms at a school (at one point, was gonna be taken over by the state and whose president is under trial for embezzlin' money)....I found a cheap house....in the worst neighborhood.

..that neighborhood....the third ward of Houston, TX

..now, its not the worst neighborhood in Houston but its one of them and watching the countless crack heads and prostitutes get high and sell on my street (theres an elementary school 2 houses down from me) is annoying but liveable...they mind their business, i mind mine....but something that really bothers me, is when i walk home from school...

..i HATE passin by a certain gas station on my way home from school, cuz of all the day-um (damn) d-boyz that sell outside there. (to those that dont know, d-boyz are dope dealers aka drug dealers) I pass by there everyday and everyday i get heckled, mean-mugged (stared at) up and down...I mean, "damn" they should know by now that i walk by that damn gas station everyday.....its a small rant, but it just get on my nerves (but it inspires me to transfer to a better school, and get on their dorms)

-----------
Rant 2

I hate my algebra professor. I dunno how the hell she even became a professor. When i ask her for help i get the famous line "READ THE BOOK!" I mean, damn, ur the damn teacher, she can't help me solve a problem that she never even taught us how to do? Everyday, we walk in class and she has series of problems on the board and 3 practice problems while she sits on her ass and boast about how famous she is...theres no lecturing going on at all....and shes not the only teacher like this at my school...(i can't wait till i transfer)

mizukage
Nov 19, 2007, 07:19 PM
OP Title... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Oh... Its actually 2 rants in one post. Jeez... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Your Rant #1: How can something like that possibly exist in Texas!? Its unbelievable!!!

Your Rant #2: It is the honor of a student to not dislike their teacher. More over, it is faster to master algebra by reading the book, doing the practice questions, and answering them correctly rather than asking for another to solve it for you. The latter will ensure that you will either learn at a very slow pace or not learn anything at all. And thus, the best thing you should do would be:

READ THE DAMN ALGEBRA BOOK!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mizukage on 2007-11-19 16:23 ]</font>

KaFKa
Nov 19, 2007, 08:38 PM
Rant 1: Welcome to the ghetto. Be sure to duck behind cover should a drive-by take place near you.

Rant 2: Sadly, reading the book is the fastest way to actually learn mathematics. That or being one of those prodigies and just knowing math like its cool.

InfinityXXX
Nov 19, 2007, 09:43 PM
On 2007-11-19 16:19, mizukage wrote:
OP Title... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Oh... Its actually 2 rants in one post. Jeez... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Your Rant #1: How can something like that possibly exist in Texas!? Its unbelievable!!!

Your Rant #2: It is the honor of a student to not dislike their teacher. More over, it is faster to master algebra by reading the book, doing the practice questions, and answering them correctly rather than asking for another to solve it for you. The latter will ensure that you will either learn at a very slow pace or not learn anything at all. And thus, the best thing you should do would be:

READ THE DAMN ALGEBRA BOOK!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mizukage on 2007-11-19 16:23 ]</font>

Well yea, i understand that lol, why shouldn't i read a book i spent 200 dollars on.

But the fact is, is that math is one of my weakest points (depsite me acing it all 4 yrs in HS) and many of the other kids have harder times with it than me. I don't expect an answer from her but i do expect her to somehow guide me through at least one problem. If all i've learned was from this $200 book(keep in mind, why i keep mentioning the price of this very thick book) then i would've been better taking a class online. That teacher is not there to just assign work. Shes there to "teach". I spent money out my damn pocket for your class and you can't help me not one bit? Maybe you misunderstood? I never been a kid to WANT stuff to be handed to me. I want to earn my grade, i WANT to learn shit. However, i need a teacher thats gonna teach me...just alittle bit,somewhat. I mean, wouldn't you want your teacher to at least...teach?...even a little bit?

NOT ONLY THAT, but I'm taking College ALgebra (an intro to many students) and her lesson plan is so *fudged* up. It makes no sense to do things from chapter 1 section 3 one day and chapter 12 section 8 the next.I told and showed another professor her lesson plan and he said it was very odd for us to be taught this way. I feel very sorry for anyone thats majoring in math or taking a major that requires more math classes...because like everyone else in ALL her classes (oh yes, me and a group of kids talked to ALL her students on our campus)....they have learned nothing.

But, she wasnt always like this. During the first month she was a great teacher but then after that it was like "do the shyt on the board and shut the fuck up" she comes in with this negative attitude everyday.

My friends already complained to me about her countless times, and i've complained enough times...so i'm writing this rant to just help relax myself...maybe i should talk to the higher folks on campus about her?
---
As for ur response to rant#1

I'm taking thats sarcasm lol

Well, this isnt the first time i've lived in a "hood" -.- I'm fully aware of "what" goes down in low income areas, neverthless Houston

....But this is the first time that i ever had to walk to school and encounter so many negative people daily. It just irk me that d-boys there are so...."fake"...if that makes any since. Perhaps i should've given more deatail to rant #1...I can't explain it but its like that whole scene at the gas station is an act almost. Yea wut they do and distribute is very real (the destruction of so many communities) but it almost feel cheesy when i walk past em lol. Its like they livin in this whole fantasy, fad *cough*music video*cough*.....maybe i'm trippin, no?

but it seemed back in the day, the dealers that i did encounter...it was SUCH a serious thing and it seemed so "real"...There was so much fear behind em too at that....now...with these kids, i just get vibes of "i'm doin this to fit in" and "by sellin drugs i'm just like so-and-so"....i dunno, i'm ramblin', i'm trippin, i just took a tylenol so i'm drousy...i dunno lol! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif...ignore rant 1 lol.

astuarlen
Nov 19, 2007, 10:23 PM
I don't think it's too much to expect from a professor to give students one-on-one attention when they make the effort to ask for help. Even in a large lecture class, my experience has been that next to no one actually approaches the professor or TA for assistance, and since most instructors have office hours for just that purpose, you absolutely should be able to get some guidance. This is particularly important if you just don't pick up on information as well from straight textbook reading. I've always been very successful at math, but that has much more to do with having excellent teachers and very little to do with reading the textbook, because frankly, I get so much more out of demonstration and working through problems with someone's guidance than reading--especially for a doing-oriented subject like math.
Unfortunately, it has also been my experience that if you have an unwilling teacher, you'll have to find help elsewhere. Maybe your friends can give you a hand if they understand. Gotta love studying with friends, 'cause not only does it help the tutees, but it also helps the tutor strengthen their understanding.
One hopes that if enough students offer well-reasoned negative feedback on this professor, someone at the administrative level will take notice.

InfinityXXX
Nov 20, 2007, 09:21 AM
On 2007-11-19 19:23, astuarlen wrote:
I don't think it's too much to expect from a professor to give students one-on-one attention when they make the effort to ask for help. Even in a large lecture class, my experience has been that next to no one actually approaches the professor or TA for assistance, and since most instructors have office hours for just that purpose, you absolutely should be able to get some guidance. This is particularly important if you just don't pick up on information as well from straight textbook reading. I've always been very successful at math, but that has much more to do with having excellent teachers and very little to do with reading the textbook, because frankly, I get so much more out of demonstration and working through problems with someone's guidance than reading--especially for a doing-oriented subject like math.
Unfortunately, it has also been my experience that if you have an unwilling teacher, you'll have to find help elsewhere. Maybe your friends can give you a hand if they understand. Gotta love studying with friends, 'cause not only does it help the tutees, but it also helps the tutor strengthen their understanding.
One hopes that if enough students offer well-reasoned negative feedback on this professor, someone at the administrative level will take notice.

lol yeah, thats how it been. A lot of people from her classes sit in the student lounge center together and we all study together and help each other out...I mean, i've met a lot of friends this way but I just hate the fact because I'm not reallly sure what my grade is.

Maybe you think i'm weird for asking this Astuarlen.....but like, when taking classes....don't you have a "feeling" or a strong prdiction, sorta, of what your grade is?

I usually can sense my grade with every class i take but with this teacher i am senseless lol. I have no idea what my grade is. I've always been a person to be in control of my grades and to know nothing about my grades is driving me insane lol (which is why i have a lot of dislike towards the class)

I only can hope that i somehow pass (i have a strong feeling I'll at least get a B r a high C).I at least need a descent grade to transfer schools.

(you know what, something told me to drop her class the first week, but the teacher, when she does talk, shes such a powerful speaker and manipulater with words and she can break things down so easily, that i decided to stay in her class....-.-)

Scrub
Nov 20, 2007, 09:34 AM
Man, I know how you're feeling there Infinity. I have no idea what my grade is in the class I'm in right now(Computer Bullshit), the teacher wont tell me, and it could literally be anything from an F to and A judging by the work I've done.

Hope everything works out for you though man, doesn't sound like that's the sort of place you wanna be stuck around.