PDA

View Full Version : So are there any improvements on PS2?

Egg99
Nov 20, 2007, 02:06 PM
Admittedly I didn't search very hard to see if this has been asked, but now that we have the actual AoI disk and it's PS2 playable, can anyone finally confirm if they optimized it better?

Specifically what I'm curious about is graphics, resolution and frame rate (frame rate being the most important thing imo). I was reading all these lovely graphical improvements they gave to the 360 version, so I was hoping the game doesn't still run like nutsack on PS2.

RemiusTA
Nov 20, 2007, 02:11 PM
Absolutely nobody seems to address this question correctly.

Everytime someone says "Lag" they think we're talking about network connections, and if you say "Framerate" they dont know what we're talking about.

I seriously hope, at LEAST, they got the framerate working so i dont run 75% slower than everyone i play with online.

Deja
Nov 20, 2007, 02:53 PM
Yes the framerate has me worried. It's sad that all of my enjoyment for the next few months on PSU depend on the framerate on the PS2. If it sucks, I'm back to the PC version on my shitty computer. If it runs fine, I'm stuck on a comfortable couch out on my 32 inch tv.

I swear, it better run fine...

Pengfishh
Nov 20, 2007, 05:08 PM
My fingers are crossed on this, anyway. Getting rather tired of playing in slow motion.

ShinMaruku
Nov 20, 2007, 05:54 PM
I hope there is some GOWII type stuff with PS3 usage..

Kylie
Nov 20, 2007, 05:58 PM
On 2007-11-20 14:08, Pengfishh wrote:
My fingers are crossed on this, anyway. Getting rather tired of playing in slow motion.

Yeah, it's not too bad, but it'd be nice to do without a majority of the lag.

KRKcl17
Nov 20, 2007, 06:01 PM
On 2007-11-20 14:58, Kylie wrote

Yeah, it's not too bad, but it'd be nice to do without a majority of the lag. *Slowdown.

Lag is network related. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Chaosgyro
Nov 20, 2007, 06:02 PM
I'm sure they mean video lag http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Pengfishh
Nov 20, 2007, 06:09 PM
Slow motion covered it, I thought.

Egg99
Nov 21, 2007, 06:53 PM
So does anyone have any updates? Yes, no, maybe?

The game's out for crying out loud, SOMEBODY has to know.

Pengfishh
Nov 21, 2007, 06:54 PM
I can't find a fucking copy anywhere, so no answers just yet.

Chuck_Norris
Nov 21, 2007, 07:09 PM
I just got my disc ( http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ) I'll be sure you let you guys know.

EDIT: Dang, you better have a hell of a lot of space on your card before updating.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chuck_norris on 2007-11-21 16:17 ]</font>

Deja
Nov 21, 2007, 08:17 PM
Bad news, the ps2 version still runs like garbage. I swear, I DON'T wanna sit in front of a computer and play again, so I'm dealing with it.

Decided to just play in parties with 3 or less people, it'll slow me down, but who cares. I can't deal with this shit.

Carlo210
Nov 21, 2007, 08:21 PM
Plug your pc into your tv. ?

Deja
Nov 21, 2007, 08:22 PM

I could do that but my PC runs even worse, I have to tone graphics down to a halt for it to run. I wish there was a graphics option on ps2, to tone it down. This is so frustrating.

Pengfishh
Nov 21, 2007, 09:24 PM
I am sad and considering robbing honest folks to buy a 360.

Turbobrain
Nov 21, 2007, 11:08 PM
For the life of me, I really, really dont understand why people dont buy a 2nd hand PC... and before anyone says its expensive I actually did this for another ex PS2 player in the UK for less than £100

And damn it works 0 frame skip and as good as my home purpose built games machine.

Heres how I did it.

2nd Hand PC: Base unit only

HP convertable tower 3.0Ghz P4/800Mhz/512mb/40MBIDEHD/CDROM.

Admitadly I donated the KB and mouse and a VGA cable(actually the VGA cables are real expensive if you dont know where to source them, I can get GOOD ones for £5 though and thats through a 3rd party!)

from local PC repair centre(12 months B2B)

price - £79

B Grade AGP NVidea 128mb video card - £19(includes 1*VGA, 1 TVOUT if you dont have VGA port on your HD TV like he has or if you dont have HD TV at all)

from Maplins

price - £19

Total price - £98

Game cost £30!

£98 is a very very very small price to pay for a PC that should be ok with PSU and most PC games at this time. A PS2 here costs about £90. I just dont see why people suffer like this so much when in realisty and a bit of research and application you can get a decent gaming machine for less than £100.

And even based on what I earnt as a kid 20 years ago as a paperboy I could of paid for that in just under a month.

Anyone want to buy a PAL PS2:)? That way we can offset the cost of the funky nice case I gotta fix the uATX HP(yes it is!) mobo next week. The machines been used in a busy office and is scratched silly and ugly.

Really guys I cant think of a good reason not to get a PC.... no more 'load lag', 'slow weps', 'group lag' and all that....

And without meaning to start a(nother) console war, I would take the Pepsi challenge of PSU on my PC and between a 360 ANY day, heck I could probably be running WoW on the other screen if by BB connection did not suck so bad.

Egg99
Nov 21, 2007, 11:20 PM
Well to whom it may concern, I can personally confirm that the PC version was optimized a HELL of a lot better than it was before. My friend also said that he used to run the game on Frame Skip 3 and now he can do it on FS1 with virtually no problem at all. Even I noticed less hitches while I was playing.

It's a real shame they up and shafted PS2 owners like that. Not everyone can afford a PC these days. Although Turbobrain seems to be more than capable of giving suggestions about that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Zael
Nov 21, 2007, 11:53 PM
The framerate is still bad :/.

I do fine on 3-person parties, but with 6 i get slowdown.

Turbobrain
Nov 22, 2007, 12:29 AM
On 2007-11-21 20:20, Egg99 wrote:
Well to whom it may concern, I can personally confirm that the PC version was optimized a HELL of a lot better than it was before. My friend also said that he used to run the game on Frame Skip 3 and now he can do it on FS1 with virtually no problem at all. Even I noticed less hitches while I was playing.

It's a real shame they up and shafted PS2 owners like that. Not everyone can afford a PC these days. Although Turbobrain seems to be more than capable of giving suggestions about that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Well, you know I'm so astonished by ppl that say they cant afford a PC that would run PSU ok maybe I should make a business out of it...

In my example I 'built'(put in a NVidea B grade graphics card for OpenGL etc as the Intel Extreme gfx uses the already limited but good for its use 400mhz dual channel system memory, HP knew that Intel Extreme sucks so they gave us a 8* AGP slot... ok its not PCI Express but still does the job nicely) a 3GHZ P4 machine that runs PSU fine for £98... and you got a PC that will do all the usual things... and play most games(I have yet to try Crysis but should work okish) for £98

A PS2 here is £90...

And becuase the form factor of the mobo is uATX, next week I will operate and put it all in a nice case so it'll even look like a proper gaming PC... I expect to spend no more than £25(though I dont like the HP 140W PSU, I just dont so maybe another £10 extra for a 400W PSU in the case deal...)

You could even do it in stages if you are real hard up...

Really a satisfactory gaming PC can be yours for less than £100. I must say that PSU for what it produces uses a lot of resources(nothing that a neat program called Autogear cant resolve).

Why not spend literally a few quid/bucks more?

When Quad cores become common place you wait then you'll see the old Duo's getting real cheap. PC's are NOT expensive(unless I'm making them for me... pah).

Am I missing something here....

And it gets better... a lot of

Pengfishh
Nov 22, 2007, 01:35 AM
You'll have to show me the computer I can get at that price.

Pentence
Nov 22, 2007, 02:05 AM
Hey my ps2 seems alright i havent had hardly any problems.I admit the frames rate still needs soem tweaking but at least my weapons load a bit faster.

Also if i could get my hands on an iso of aoi i would use my pc which is all garbage parts (literealy)I found the mobo in a dumpster w/2.4 ghz procesor.Added half gig o ram twin monitors(tubes) and a 120 gb hdd nvidia 6800 WHALA gameing comp baby.I had the video card and 120 gb hdd from my old comp but still esitentialy a free comp here ya just gota know where to look fellas

Psycho_Sonic
Nov 22, 2007, 02:15 AM
What you're missing is that some of us are in college who're still trying to just come up with money for food.

Turbobrain
Nov 22, 2007, 04:03 AM
On 2007-11-21 23:15, Psycho_Sonic wrote:
What you're missing is that some of us are in college who're still trying to just come up with money for food.

I went to college, then uni... and worked long hospital placements at some very bad times... trust me its possible.

Anyway, I thought that student nowadays had access to some really low interest or no interest loans on PC's as they need them for their studies.

Here a few uni's actually GIVE AWAY laptops.... and have free BB. We had a free library>.>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Turbobrain on 2007-11-22 02:25 ]</font>

GuardianPoe
Nov 22, 2007, 05:03 AM
I have to second, the PS2 version has been running considerably better for me too. I haven't gotten into a big team yet, so maybe it'll be more of an issue there, but the overall loading times have been noticibly better from even when I was playing Extra Mode offline.

I'll still be switching to the PC version a.s.a.p. (it'll look a hell of a lot better for one thing) but my PS2 copy will be quite good to tide me over for the time.

Pengfishh
Nov 22, 2007, 12:47 PM
Three and four player teams were never so terrible, just anything over that... Small parties are more fun, I'd say.