PDA

View Full Version : AotI-PC/PS2: PS2 AotI performance

RemiusTA
Nov 20, 2007, 02:06 PM
Hey im pretty sure NO ps2/pc players have this game yet, but to all of them who do (Specifically on PS2), what kind of performance alterations did they add?

I dont think this game needed much nerfing to stop lagging (looking at other games like Ratchet & Clank/ Final Fantasy/ Kingdom Hearts 2), so im hoping they fixed this without taking the easier route and nerfing textures and shit.

Indica
Nov 20, 2007, 02:08 PM
Im hoping there is an improvement as I ordered both PC and PS2 versions

Shardio
Nov 20, 2007, 02:16 PM
I sure as hell hope they improved the PC version to be on par with 360. THAT was my only dissappointment for not having bought it for 360.
As for PS2, I couldn't care less. It blows my mind they even released the game on that console. But, it is the way it is now, and I hope AotI is improved for PC (and PS2, the poor bastids).

Chii
Nov 20, 2007, 02:16 PM
Is it even out yet for PC/PS2? I realize it was supposed to be out the 20th. But I'd gone to Gamestop where they told me it was being released the 21st. So being hard headed, I'd then proceeded to check Best Buy, Walmart, and Circuit city where I found out that they did not have it either ;_;

RemiusTA
Nov 20, 2007, 02:21 PM
As far as i see, the PC version looks beautiful on full specs, but if they made it easier to be able to RUN those specs with the recommended specifications they GAVE us, i have no clue.

I need to see pics of the 360 version to know what everyone is babbling about.

And it was released on PS2 because its a good system with publicity and network capabilities.

Hiro_Kurisake
Nov 20, 2007, 02:22 PM
My ps2 version runs just fine, and its a lot easier for gamers with... less than decent computers such as myself. Just can't wait till christmas, i gets me an alienware computer XD

RemiusTA
Nov 20, 2007, 02:23 PM
If your talking about PSUv1, then im taking it you've never played online/ fought Falkis.

Hiro_Kurisake
Nov 20, 2007, 02:25 PM
No, I just don't have many problems at all with the game, i mean yeah some lag hangups here and there but nothing too serious. And yes i have played online... quite a lot actually.

Shardio
Nov 20, 2007, 02:26 PM
On 2007-11-20 11:21, RemiusTA wrote:
As far as i see, the PC version looks beautiful on full specs, but if they made it easier to be able to RUN those specs with the recommended specifications they GAVE us, i have no clue.

True, however, 360 looks even better. (I am running PSU at full specs, and I have the 360 demo, so yeah... the difference is striking)

RemiusTA
Nov 20, 2007, 02:28 PM
Wow, i really need some pictures then.

Chii
Nov 20, 2007, 02:29 PM
I am curious... what type of display are you running the demo on by chance? Because that can make a difference :>

Shardio
Nov 20, 2007, 02:30 PM
I'm running it on a small, non-HD, PAL60 TV. And even on that it looks better than on my Widescreen PC display.

Shardio
Nov 20, 2007, 02:32 PM
On 2007-11-20 11:28, RemiusTA wrote:
Wow, i really need some pictures then.

Taking good pictures of the 360 version is hard. That's why you probably haven't seen many high-quality ones.

Compare these: (bottom of the page) http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/community_events.php?item=20070501m

RemiusTA
Nov 20, 2007, 02:36 PM
looks the same to me.

omegapirate2k
Nov 20, 2007, 02:38 PM
Even the best quality pictures from ST don't really do the 360 version enough justice.

watashiwa
Nov 20, 2007, 02:39 PM
On 2007-11-20 11:16, Shardio wrote:
I sure as hell hope they improved the PC version to be on par with 360. THAT was my only dissappointment for not having bought it for 360.

PC version was always better than the 360 version, as far as performance goes.

I don't know what kind of set up you guys had, but the PC version has always looked better than the 360 version for me. My only gripe was that it didn't have widescreen mode.

AOTI fixes it and makes it look even better, so w/e.

Mystil
Nov 20, 2007, 02:40 PM
On 2007-11-20 11:16, Shardio wrote:

Or maybe you have a poor computer.

RemiusTA
Nov 20, 2007, 02:43 PM
I believe you guys with the 360 improvement, but i hope i can say the same for PS2/PC.

I mean, of course they upped the graphics, look how much goddamn horsepower they have to work with on that system.

They could make the 360 version 4 player splitscreen and 20 player Online mode if they wanted.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2007-11-20 11:44 ]</font>

panzer_unit
Nov 20, 2007, 02:48 PM
I'd love to see them do something to fix weapon lag. It's really stupid how you have to fill a palette with weapons and the game STILL loads everything you're wielding totally fresh from disk each time you change weps... it knows enough not to go to the disk for switches between identical gear, but it can't turn a black grenade launcher blue and has to grind the DVD more? WTF.

Shardio
Nov 20, 2007, 02:52 PM
On 2007-11-20 11:38, omegapirate2k wrote:
Even the best quality pictures from ST don't really do the 360 version enough justice.

QFT. Still, those are near the best I've seen so far.

Shardio
Nov 20, 2007, 02:58 PM
Poor computer? I doubt it. Remember all those framerate complaints with PSU in Vista? *runs in Vista without a problem*

Pengfishh
Nov 20, 2007, 05:17 PM
On 2007-11-20 11:48, panzer_unit wrote:
I'd love to see them do something to fix weapon lag. It's really stupid how you have to fill a palette with weapons and the game STILL loads everything you're wielding totally fresh from disk each time you change weps... it knows enough not to go to the disk for switches between identical gear, but it can't turn a black grenade launcher blue and has to grind the DVD more? WTF.

WTF indeed. This is mainly why I enjoy being all godly lately. Don't have to change weapons ever on some missions.

Mystil
Nov 20, 2007, 05:22 PM
On 2007-11-20 11:58, Shardio wrote:
Poor computer? I doubt it. Remember all those framerate complaints with PSU in Vista? *runs in Vista without a problem*

Ok I can understand that. Graphic perfomance wise, the PC is far superior. It is the PS2 that needs drastic performance overhaul, I swear, those peoples are going to need glasses because the picture quality is blurry on the PS2. The main reason I switched from it.

BaconZero
Nov 20, 2007, 05:38 PM
On 2007-11-20 14:22, Mystil wrote:

On 2007-11-20 11:58, Shardio wrote:

Ok I can understand that. Graphic perfomance wise, the PC is far superior. It is the PS2 that needs drastic performance overhaul, I swear, those peoples are going to need glasses because the picture quality is blurry on the PS2. The main reason I switched from it.

RAH RAH!!! lol

physic
Nov 20, 2007, 05:58 PM
ps2 is at its limit for psu, just doesnt have high enough resolution/memory to handle psu. the reason weapons take so long to laod is because ps2 doesnt have enough memory to store all the weapons from all the people in the party with their textures and what not, so it has to load them. the solution: decrease weapon graphics particularly textures, so from what i hear it loads a little faster but you pay the price.

Blame sony for making a system that had less texture memory than dreamcast had a year earlier. Ideally you could make really complex polygons and color them and add effects, but development wise and execution of that for an online game isnt really worth it. PS2 is just showing its limits on psu, nothing to do bout that.

Chaosgyro
Nov 20, 2007, 06:01 PM
I'm switching from a 360 to a (pretty darn high end) PC so I hope I don't get a noticable drop in graphics or performance.

Sol_B4dguy
Nov 20, 2007, 07:40 PM
You can bet I intend to test this with my copy tomorrow. My computer is...less than stellar (three years old and I've only upgraded the RAM, video card, and HD space lol)and it would be nice if I could get PSU running smoothly and looking halfway decent w/o breaking my bank. If it runs better, I'll let you peeps know.

Mystil
Nov 20, 2007, 07:43 PM
On 2007-11-20 14:58, physic wrote:
ps2 is at its limit for psu, just doesnt have high enough resolution/memory to handle psu. the reason weapons take so long to laod is because ps2 doesnt have enough memory to store all the weapons from all the people in the party with their textures and what not, so it has to load them. the solution: decrease weapon graphics particularly textures, so from what i hear it loads a little faster but you pay the price.

Blame sony for making a system that had less texture memory than dreamcast had a year earlier. Ideally you could make really complex polygons and color them and add effects, but development wise and execution of that for an online game isnt really worth it. PS2 is just showing its limits on psu, nothing to do bout that.

Actually just blame SEGA for putting it on an age old console. MMO's, online games can't get far when they are put on the PS2. It sounds mean but it's true - the PS2 is a burden.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mystil on 2007-11-20 16:44 ]</font>

Pengfishh
Nov 20, 2007, 08:42 PM
The game was in development on PS2 for quite a while, however, and at the time it was a wise enough choice.

ShinMaruku
Nov 21, 2007, 12:01 AM
GOWII makes this game look like shit. So, what I'd say is ST can't code for shit. AOI, who knows?