PDA

View Full Version : What combat system improvement have been made in AoI?

Marks
Nov 20, 2007, 08:17 PM
Do they fix things like the small split second delay when you hit an enemy with a weapon? You know what I'm talking about. And you notice it twice as much with two handed fast weapons, it makes the game look choppy and I hate it, although most of you probably got used to it.

Also do they improve the dodging? Like if you're in front of a monster, and it swings as you're moving away and you are visibly out of range of the attack but you still take damage anyway, is that better now? Like if you move out of the attack, you actually don't get hit by it?

On a side note, did they improve the resolution or any graphics? No AA, no widescreen, and a resolution cap of like 1280x1024 made the game seem extremely ghetto especially here in 2007, almost 2008.

Remedy
Nov 20, 2007, 08:20 PM
...am I the only one who doesn't give two shits about a lack of widescreen/AA?

Rizen
Nov 20, 2007, 08:21 PM
I think that delay has something to do with lag. But they did improve on how damage is displayed.

Yes they improved dodging. They made it so the hit box isn't so large.

And no, resolutions are the same but they did add one widescreen options when I don't remember the resolution for.

Scline
Nov 20, 2007, 08:22 PM
On 2007-11-20 17:20, Remedy wrote:

Probably, I remember reading about people having massive geek fits when they got Bioshock and found out the Widescreen mode was missing 24 lines of pixels.

And Rizen got to the dodge question before I could.

GG, Rizen. =(

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scline on 2007-11-20 17:23 ]</font>

Marks
Nov 20, 2007, 08:23 PM
On 2007-11-20 17:20, Remedy wrote:

Yes definitely.

Remedy
Nov 20, 2007, 08:26 PM
I'm not saying that I don't like good graphics, I'm saying that I don't go slitting my wrists because the game that I enjoy for the mechanics doesn't have "OMFG ULTRA HIGH WIDESCREEN RESOLUTION AND 16xAA/16xAF/60 FPS".

I play a game because I enjoy it. Hell, I still play old 8-bit games because *gasp* I like them. I then later play Unreal Tournament 3 at 1600x1200 at max game settings because *gasp* I like it.

Graphic whores can go play in freeway traffic.

Pengfishh
Nov 20, 2007, 08:29 PM
The hit delay, I thought, was a silly, purposeful effect. A lot of games have been doing that in recent years to show DRAMATIC INTENSITY! so I assume the case for PSU was the same.

Weeaboolits
Nov 20, 2007, 08:29 PM
People with widescreen TVs/monitors want to use the whole damn screen, none of that warping the image BS ;o

Sev
Nov 20, 2007, 08:31 PM
On 2007-11-20 17:29, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
People with widescreen TVs/monitors want to use the whole damn screen, none of that warping the image BS ;o

LOL @ WIDESCREEN!!1!111!

/jealous

Marks
Nov 20, 2007, 08:32 PM
Except no one here is being a graphic whore, you're being a graphic hater whore, which is just as bad. Of course gameplay is what makes the game, but these things I ask about are the bare minimum, you can force AA on N64 games but not on PSU?

Anyway I much rather have them improve that weapon hit delay and the dodging, and someone said the hit boxes are smaller so that's good. My main gripe is still that delay though, without it the game would look so much smoother.

Sev
Nov 20, 2007, 08:35 PM
On 2007-11-20 17:32, Marks wrote:
Anyway I much rather have them improve that weapon hit delay and the dodging, and someone said the hit boxes are smaller so that's good. My main gripe is still that delay though, without it the game would look so much smoother.

I don't really have any of this, for the most part unless I'm lagging my game plays pretty smoothly. The hitbox fix is really gonna be something nice, but the only delay I get is pretty much intentional... Otherwise I'd hate me just as much as other people do.

Reipard
Nov 20, 2007, 08:35 PM
Also do they improve the dodging? Like if you're in front of a monster, and it swings as you're moving away and you are visibly out of range of the attack but you still take damage anyway, is that better now? Like if you move out of the attack, you actually don't get hit by it?

I won't have the game until tomorrow, but I remember this being a heavily touted update. And a somewhat amusing one. 'New feature in the expansion: THE COLLISION IS FIXED http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif'

Scline
Nov 20, 2007, 08:36 PM
inb4 "it" starts.

On topic: I agree on the more realistic hit delay.. more realistic can at times mean better..

Other times it means more suck..

Marks
Nov 20, 2007, 08:39 PM
On 2007-11-20 17:35, Sev wrote:

On 2007-11-20 17:32, Marks wrote:

I don't really have any of this, for the most part unless I'm lagging my game plays pretty smoothly. The hitbox fix is really gonna be something nice, but the only delay I get is pretty much intentional... Otherwise I'd hate me just as much as other people do.

It's definitely intentional, not hardware lag, but that makes it even worse. Sega can make it better but they don't... I can live with it but the game would literally be significantly better without it.

perfectminute
Nov 20, 2007, 08:43 PM
Hardware lag? What about server lag? As I recall story mode doesnt have this delay, so I'd say the delay has to do with the fact that its online.

Sev
Nov 20, 2007, 08:45 PM
Well, when executing my JA... I mean... How do I put it...

It's enough that I critical hit whenever I get it right... If you made it any faster... In anyway... They're going to start putting us on trials and burning us alive. As I see it now, it's fine. My game looks pretty with or without it, and shouting out "It's Lu Bu!" while going through the Dus Robbados PA is never gonna get boring. That small pause in between attacks also gives you time to notice whether or not your JA is going through.

Shiro_Ryuu
Nov 20, 2007, 08:47 PM
I really don't care much for graphics either, but I hope they're not so grand that the game runs like crap on my laptop or something. I mean, I might have to get a graphics card, but that'll be a last resort.