PDA

View Full Version : I get so damn tired..........(dance music/hip hop)

InfinityXXX
Nov 23, 2007, 05:32 AM
....of MAINSTREAM Hip Hop artist Sampling Dance,House, Electronic, Techno songs!!!!

I use to get teased in HS for listening to dance music but NOW Its cool to listen to dance music.....if its song by a pop star or under a hip hop beat (which wouldn't that make it Trip Hop?).

ALmost every damn pop song out today samples dance music

------------------
Sexyback, My love (STRAIGHT UP TRANCE) and everything else by Justin Timberlake

EVERYTHING MADE BY TIMBALAND (lol) (this include all the artist hes worked for and their cd's....*ahem* Brittny Spears (i think his prodigy worked on her cd), Bobby Valentino, Nelly Furtado)

A lot of Chris Brown's songs

Pop Lock and Drop it (pay attention to the music goin on in the background)

Walk It Out (this one too, pay attention to wuts happening in the background. But I THINK this was made by Andre 3000 of Outkast....so yea, they music nowadays is very trancy/psychoelic anywayslol)

Throw SOme D's by Richboy (straight up electronica sample..can't think of the artist though)

Touch it by Busta Rhymes (THE ONLY GOOD remake IMO. Obviously a sample of "technologic" by Daft Punk)

Buy You A Drink by T-pain (a friend of mine let me listen to the original dance song they sampled....which also has the hook in it (I'ma buy you a drink....then)

and much much more
--------------------------

but probably the biggest SIN is Kanye's Stronger (an obvious sample of Harder, Better, faster, Stronger by Daft Punk).

Kanye HAS stated that he KNOWS his version can not stand up to the original and in the music video he refrences to Daft Punk (and Akira XD) BUT my beef is with THE FANS.....I'm sorry but this song is not THAT great IF YOU HEARD THE ORIGINAL.

I remember i once let a friend listen to the original a long time ago and she talked bad about it but she loves Stronger by Kanye. Have we gotten to the point that we'll dance to anything IF it has a Hip Hop beat to it? Whats next...hip hop and country? (oh wait, Cowboy Troy and other artist already did that -.-)

I LOVE HIP HOP! But my biggest complaints is how "some" producers (*cough* Kanye) cash in on SOOO much money because they just took another song and added a beat.....there really is no skill in that. I think anyone thats good at making beats (basically, any lil 5 yr old who listen to hip hop) can remake a song and have it "qualified" for radio airplay.

What the hell happened to MAKING YOUR OWN DAMN MUSIC? The Neptunes and other producers like DJ Prmiere, Raphael Sadiq, NO I.D, Darkchild, and Will.I.AM are SO GOOD, BECAUSE of the fact that they can produce a lot of stuff w/o samples.

I'm not hatin' on Kanye. I loved his last two cds but hes NOT that skilled lyrically and musically. (he's no that great how the media tries to make him to be) EVERY damn song on his cd sampled something. and his lyrics and flow are only just a litttle bit over average...and his newest cd is NOT that great IMO. (theres only about 5 good songs...that cd has EGO written all over it)

Hip Hop and Samples do kinda go together (the earliest form of it was forced to use samples of old school and rock) but NOW, with technology, producers can do better. wheres the skill at? How can you call a song your song and you borrowed all of it from another song? Neverthless, how can you steal from dance...and how can these retarded ass teeny boppers/fans sit up here and justify that dance is cool NOW...because it has a hip hop beat over it...when 5 years ago, you would've been making fun of it -.-.

P.S....probably the WORST of hip hop songs that sampled Dance is.....Pitbull's new song....he has created a great sin (lol)......this fool sat up here and sampled "Satisfaction" by Benny Bennassi....and did a horrible job at it too. (i believe EVERYONE has heard satisfaction)

also, this rant was sparked after a disagreement with friends in a very serious music discussion.

DonRoyale
Nov 23, 2007, 07:40 AM
Yes, we all know Graduation was the 9/11 release riddled with ego...(No offence to you, just thought I'd state the painfully obvious here)

Sure, most production these days is dance floor-friendly. As a fan, I'm always interested in the next dance. Even if it's a song that's already been made, a fresh remake would be interesting. (I agree, "Touch It" was a great remake)

I DO see your point, however. Most producers these days ARE taking the easy way out, opting to sample classics and make them terrible (I'll use Puffy's sample of The Police here. Wasn't nearly as good as the original.), but hey, if it can give us new ways to see a song, hey, I'm all for it.

To each his own, as they say. Hip-hop has become too commercial these days, and producers are getting lazier and lazier.

But in the perspective of a fan, as long as I can dance to it, I could care less how many classics they destroy. (Unless it's terrible...lol)

Sayara
Nov 23, 2007, 09:35 AM
Timbaland did a great sin sampling my favorite Arabic musician/artist to the tune of Big Pimpin'.

My life was never the same again..

InfinityXXX
Nov 23, 2007, 12:29 PM
yea, some of it works sometimes and certain producers like Jazze Pha, timb, will, darkchild,neptunes etc have been known to create a lot of their hits from scratch....but I watch award shows, and I see certain things on tv saying that (les say for example)....Timbaland is such a divine producer....yea, thats true, he makes a lot of hits. (cmon, timb has been hot since the early 90s...remember Aaliyah anyone?)....but i think its very easy to remix something (which is what a lot of producers do)....I dunno, maybe i'm trippin....but my main problem is just with producers thats ALWAYS sampling lol. Its ok to put some samples in your work every now and then. (Hip Hop was created on samples of rock and old school) but all the damn time? cmon lol

(btw)
i'm so critical of the hip hop world because i plan on being a producer/emcee sometime in my life.

Maybe its just the fact...that the media hypes up people way to much(that really don't have the skill that their being hyped up to) look at artist like (lets say) uhm, Chris Brown

..all his songs have been insane. I've made up plenty of dance routines to all his singles...BUT when i hear "Chris Brown is a phenomenal singer"...i become puzzled for the only way I can really listen to his music is by taking out his vocals lol. His voice is to nasaly and to strained. (very annoying when played over and over again). He's a performer, an entertainer (whos gettin by on looks and his record label i believe), not a singer IMO...so why is the media comapring him to Omarion and Trey Songz (singers)

the media....

....people were so surprised when Brtiney Spears failed at her VMA performance and are shocked at her current lifestyle.........and i had predicted this way back in 5th grade, when she had first came out...back then she was put up as...America's Princess...and i was thinking "princess my ass"

I dunno, i love to just dance away and forget all about it but i love music and hip hop so much that it pisses me off everytime the media starts to ruin it. Plus i hate anytime the media hypes people up that don't live up to the hype. (anyone remember the whole Michael Jackson v.s Prince thing back in the day? lol and Michael got all the credit lol and now look at him)

btw, i heard michael is comming back into the music world...is this a rumor?

Sayara
Nov 23, 2007, 01:55 PM
Hah I found it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_oFZUjG5vs
this talks what i jsut said in my last post. (And further instigate the hate www)

InfinityXXX
Nov 23, 2007, 03:02 PM
yea, TImbaland has actually been sued by various musicians (2 i bleeive) by taking their music and I beleive he did say that he's guilty of taking Arabic samples.....but why sample? Make the shyt up yourself. Its NOT THAT HARD to make a rap track. All you "really" need is about 8 bars of melody. I have a harder time making rock and pop tracks than rap.

Heres his sample of CHrono Trigger (The ICE BOX)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUh7XgV4LAE&feature=related

And him ripping off everything Arabic lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X58UPPKDsY&feature=related

------------
I believe theres a difference between sampling and stealing. When you sample a song you take bits and parts off of it....in Timbaland's case he took the whole damn song lol.

I'll just say, that if I was to sample....I wouldn't sample the melody of a song...the melody is like the soul of the song...to take a song's melody is taking its soul.

I dunno why he has this huge bit of arrogance (dissing Scott Storch)(saying he's the best) and hes not all that skilled....let me run across and old Arbaic song...and I can have it sounding spankin new with a hip hop edge in about 5 minutes of playing around with it. The least they could do is re-arrange the sample (wut Kanye does some times)

I'm not hating on timbaland nor Kanye or other big time steal-i mean samplers, I'm just asking where is all this arrogance comming from and theres no musical skill to back it up? They should be happpy enough their making cheap millions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2007-11-23 12:20 ]</font>