PDA

View Full Version : Teamwork

SS_Death
Nov 27, 2007, 04:36 PM
Is teamwork dead?

Of late, as I perouse the forums I have noticed an ever increasing number of threads with people complaining about things, from the imbalance of certain weapons, to people who don't bring scape dolls on missions. More and more people are worried about 'how does this effect me' and it makes me wonder, is teamwork dead?

I started way back when in the days of DC PSO. My first online experience, as a total newbie I joined a team of experienced players. Their leader chastised me gently for joining without asking, something I later apologised for, but I was still allowed to joing them, the group accepting i was a newbie and helping me out.

Now, having gone through every other available version of PSO, and PSU (or at least those that were available in this country) and having been on countless teams I believe that if I did the same thing now I would be greeted by abuse, insults and a general lack of respect or tolerance and it saddens me.

I've never got into hacking, from the start my friends and I lived the rule of using what we found, not hacking our way to glory. Despite that we did great things, went places at all sorts of levels and had a great time. All of this down to one simple fact, we worked as a team.

There were times when certain abilites annoyed some of us, or people dashed off and ticked off the other members but people spoke out about it and we moderated our behaviour because the needs of the team come first.

So what if someone whats to use a Slicer? So long as they don't hog all the kills it makes no difference.

So what if they don't have scape dolls? So long as they don;t get themselves killed being stupid, I have no qualms about helping them out, as it also helps the team.

Even if you dismiss this as the rantings of an older and embittered gamer, at least stop and think for a moment about your own actions when you are in a team and consider, so long as we are having fun, does it really matter if they do more damage than me?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SS_Death on 2007-11-27 14:47 ]</font>

StrongFiend
Nov 27, 2007, 04:39 PM
it most certainly is XS but its all good i just join a s rank party and since im a lower level they don't give i use slicers XD

PALRAPPYS
Nov 27, 2007, 04:40 PM
Nope, not in the least.

I play for fun. ^_-

Why I chose WT and AT is because they're fun classes! I enjoy playing those. Also looking forward to playing on my fT again once I feel like it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

So, the answer is "no." I don't care if someone else does more damage than me!

Oh, and to the title question: No as well! My group helps each other! Stars, Sols, Resta, Buffs, Giresta! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PALRAPPYS on 2007-11-27 13:41 ]</font>

Ronin1of47
Nov 27, 2007, 04:40 PM
I don't think teamwork is dead, its just harder to find groups of people who aren't rude then it used to be.

panzer_unit
Nov 27, 2007, 04:46 PM
People like to talk big on the forums. Very little of it carries over to the actual game, most have too much sense or too little guts to make a big problem out of things that happen on teams.

Flwl3ssCowboy
Nov 27, 2007, 04:50 PM
I've been in some damn awesome teams before. No I don't think teamwork is dead. Besides, I like to "duo" maps with my best(real life too, hurrr) friend, and it reminds us of when we would do that in PSO.

Shardio
Nov 27, 2007, 04:52 PM
Team work is not dead at all! I enjoy being a WT, thus fulfilling a more supportive role in parties. I'm actually considering AT now with AOTI, since I'm such a support fan http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
I rarely play in an organized team, and hop in random parties most of the time. Indeed the sense of teamwork has decreased since the old days of PSO, but in 75% of the parties, we're working together tightly, adapting to each other on the go. It's been very long since I've heard anyone complain about me not carrying Scapes, or me being a Newman FF (before AOTI, I played FF). On the contrary even, some people actually praised me for choosing such a gimped and unusual combo.
Bottom line is, the forums make it seem worse than it really is. Our community is actually pretty nice to each other, especially compared to larger ones, such as WoW, or even Halo.

Zorak000
Nov 27, 2007, 04:52 PM
I play for fun too.

Example: nothing is more fun than forming a triangle of damfoie on a pack of boomas http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

RemiusTA
Nov 27, 2007, 04:59 PM
Is teamwork dead?

Try soloing a mission and answer that yourself...

majan
Nov 27, 2007, 05:04 PM
absolutely it is dead,at least until we get S2 ranks of the new missions and the game becomes a challenge again.for now,the only teams that exist are the 2 man team of slicer and hunter.

people are entirely,and I mean entirely too selfish to give up what they use to play which is cool because you are free to play how you want, it is indeed a game. but the rate we are going is not a very good one at all.party play is impossible when things die faster than everybody can even walk into the room because the slicer person happens to have killed everything(yes,everything) in one combo.(yes,one combo.level 110 monsters.)legitimately,I wish they never were added to the game or changed drastically.the only people that level up are going to be slicer users so sooner or later the entire game is going to be slicer users in order to keep up with the other slicer users.

they run from buffs,speed ahead of the party,and dont stop for anything.blame them?no.theyre just using what the machinegun glitch used to be and wondering what the fuck everyone else is doing not taking advantage of the awesome power.well,the truth is,some people actually were looking forward to using slicers and others saw how broken it was and are treating it like the hot new exploit,except it isnt a glitch this time.people know its okay and what they are supposed to be doing so they just self proclaim themselves as the rightful mighty kings of PSU and let the rest of us look like dicks keeping up with them and getting sapped of all the exp.

teamwork is not even close to needed,therefore it is dead.very,very dead.the only teamwork youll see is in small parties of friends that are used to playing the game and enjoying it.

xeku
Nov 27, 2007, 05:15 PM
Not dead, just different.....I too miss the "just for fun" mentality of the PSO era, but you can still find people who just want to party up and kill things.....rares, quests, exp. be damned.

Pengfishh
Nov 27, 2007, 05:15 PM
Small team of good folks is still king.

Shardio
Nov 27, 2007, 05:19 PM
The Slicer has been nerfed. I've been in lots of parties with Slicer users, and I haven't really noticed the overkill they cause.
And also, stop the whining over how the game is broken by one single item. It's kind of childish to just jump on a scapegoat like everyone else is doing. A few weeks from here, Slicers will no longer be regarded over-powered, and something else will be whined about. So, let's stop that and adapt to the situation. Saves a lot of processor energy too.

Hyper_Rappy
Nov 27, 2007, 05:27 PM
No, its not dead! (but it is annoying when the enemys die before you can enter the room because of large partys. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

Noblewine
Nov 27, 2007, 05:30 PM
Nah I don't think it's dead. The people I run parties with usually support one another till we clear a missions. However I don't like it when people randomly join me on a B run when their levels are too low for a B rank. I hope that's changed since I've been offline for awhile.

P.S. This is funny because I was reading this on the official PSU site. XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Noblewine on 2007-11-27 15:18 ]</font>

MetalIdol876
Nov 27, 2007, 05:36 PM
On 2007-11-27 14:30, Noblewine wrote:
However I don't like it when people randomly join me on a B run when their levels are too low.

If they can join the mission their level is not too low. You must be playing a game you created yourself and not the one SEGA had intended when you bought their game.

:

People like this make me angry. I'm level 45 now, and most of that has been solo... join a B rank, and get booted when everybody else is level 80+... Makes me wanna just quit.

SS_Death
Nov 27, 2007, 05:46 PM
I'm glad to hear such a breadth of opinion. personally hese days I will admit to a fair amout of solo, but more often than not I spend time with my friends, sometimes with an open game, sometimes not.

Either way, I'm glad to know that the spirit of teamwork isn't entirely dead just yet.

Broodstar1337
Nov 29, 2007, 01:30 PM
Teamwork is dead in this game. It's all kill kill kill when it comes to PSU, everything else seems second nature. Support magic isn't half as useful as popping a trimate or an antimate, though under certain circumstances it's necessary to throw a Resta or Reverser around.

Her Secret Mission was supposed to be a huge teamwork mission. Instead, everyone just memorized the runs and ripped through with PAs. The only time where the team really had to come together was the part with three standing buttons and the fourth guy had to run in with a rifle and a bow to hit those out-of-reach targets.

Remedy
Nov 29, 2007, 01:40 PM
Yes it is. That's why I'm a hair's breadth away from quitting.

Broodstar1337
Nov 29, 2007, 01:46 PM
On 2007-11-29 10:40, Remedy wrote:
Yes it is. That's why I'm a hair's breadth away from quitting.

Just switch to AT, lol.

Remedy
Nov 29, 2007, 02:06 PM
Tried that. The class is fucking boring. More damage, but fucking boring.