PDA

View Full Version : My dog died

TheOneHero
Dec 4, 2007, 12:45 PM
She died yesterday evening.

She was seizure free for 2-3 days, no vomiting fits. Then she got outside, I didn't get to see her, but according to my mom it was the happiest she'd have seen Midnight, our dog. She ran and ran, and came back inside, I took care of her, went downstairs (I had guests at the time.)

Midnight kept running up and down the stairs, I heard he coughing worse than usual, ran to her side, and helped her upstairs.

Half-carrying her up the stairs, she collapsed on the top, went into a fit and started choking.

For several minutes I helped her get the mucus out and vomit, but she wasn't breathing normal, no air was leaving her and I knew she was suffocating.

Soon after the phone rang, my mom calling for help with the food she just bought, Midnight stopped breathing and despite our efforts to revive her she died.

She was 16 years old, a boxer/lab mix with a little "tuxedo" on her chest. A damn good dog.

I'd love to share pictures with you, but as of the moment I don't have any on the computer and the computer is being packed up shortly (moving) so, sorry.

I can't wait to see her again.

amtalx
Dec 4, 2007, 12:50 PM
My condolences. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Mwabwetumba
Dec 4, 2007, 12:56 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

To not only lose your beloved dog, but to actually be there during such a dramatic scene.

My condolences as well.

ABDUR101
Dec 4, 2007, 01:10 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. But, it's good that she was out and having alot of fun; thats so much nicer than her suffering up to the very end for months and months. And I'd rather be there when my animals die, I want them to be around someone who loves them and they can feel as secure as possible, and I can offer any assistance.

Everytime I've had a pet die when I wasn't home, I've felt really bad; like I wasn't there for them when they needed me the most.

You did really good helping her, thats more than most people would ever even try to do.

CelestialBlade
Dec 4, 2007, 03:03 PM
That's a real shame. But 16 years is a good long life for your dog, and I'm glad she seemed happy during her final moments. 16 years means a good loving family took care of her, and she passed on in the presence of the family that loved her and that she loved in return. That's the best you can ask for.

She'll never fully leave you, though. None of my dogs have. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Broodstar1337
Dec 4, 2007, 06:28 PM
D:

Shadowpawn
Dec 6, 2007, 12:29 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. Hope you feel better soon.

Blitzkommando
Dec 6, 2007, 12:42 AM
Boxers are some of the best dogs you can have. I agree that it's good to hear she had a good time shortly before though. Much better for her to be happy rather than suffering. I feel for you about your loss.

Tita
Dec 9, 2007, 05:13 AM
my condolences as well. my 18 year old cat died last month at home, due to kidney failure, but she died laying in her favorite spot under the warm noon sun. losing a pet is always painful, but in the end what will always matter is the unconditional love that was given to them, and you gave your dog that in spades to the very end.

your dog was fortunate to have an owner and friend such as yourself. you're a hero in my book http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Noblewine
Dec 9, 2007, 05:43 AM
Sorry for you loss.

TetsuyaHikari
Dec 9, 2007, 06:56 AM
I'm not going to say something you haven't already heard, but I'll say it anyway.

You have my condolences.

It's nice that she got to live such a long life, not to mention..from the sound of it..she spent her life with a really wonderful owner, so I'm sure she left this world in good spirit because of that. It's really nice to know that you took care of her so well and that you were even there for her during her last breath, still caring for her as much as you had been.

I know it's still too early to tell, but..after your grieving period, do you believe you will look for another dog at some point or will this end with Midnight? It's really tough losing a pet. I lost a cat which was 14 years old and to think..14 years of my life was shared with him. It's really hard to even consider getting another pet.

He was like a really close friend..part of the family..I grew up with him. So, how do you feel towards that? Would you consider sharing your life with another pet and starting anew or will this be it?

Hope you get well soon http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

thunder-ray
Dec 9, 2007, 07:04 AM
im sorry for your loss bro i hope you get better soon.

TheOneHero
Jan 6, 2008, 04:31 PM
I have one remaining pet Kikumaru, the sister of my cat (that died a few years ago).

I won't get another pet for awhile.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, it greatly helped me. (and sorry for the late reply, I've been overseas.)