PDA

View Full Version : second expansion?

Hyper_Rappy
Dec 4, 2007, 08:51 PM
iv heard talk about a second expansion. can anyone conferm this?

Golto
Dec 4, 2007, 08:55 PM
Be kinda difficult to find the space on a ps2 disc to cover even more data.

Kylie
Dec 4, 2007, 08:56 PM
I've heard nothing official, so it's probably all speculation.

Pengfishh
Dec 4, 2007, 08:57 PM
If we were to get a second expansion, it's hard to think it will be on the PS2 any longer so I either say no or we're moving on to PS3 maybe. Maybe.

Kylie
Dec 4, 2007, 08:59 PM
On 2007-12-04 17:57, Pengfishh wrote:
If we were to get a second expansion, it's hard to think it will be on the PS2 any longer so I either say no or we're moving on to PS3 maybe. Maybe.

If so, I hope they announce it before I make my move towards next-gen. But I think a sequel is more likely than an expansion in that case.

Golto
Dec 4, 2007, 09:02 PM
A lot of Japanese gamemakers plan to still have games for the PS2 for years to come in Japan so don't jump to ps3 only just yet.

Polychrome
Dec 4, 2007, 09:06 PM
On 2007-12-04 17:57, Pengfishh wrote:

Usually I'd be quick to assume this. However, Sony's been shipping recent PS3s without the PS2 hardware, so I'm not sure how well that would go. If they decide to port it, that'd be a completely different story, however.

But my guess is that future expansions will only run on the PC and Xbox 360. That is, unless, Sega can pull off some sort of disk-swapping or find a way of requiring an external USB hard drive for a PS2 game. (I suppose they could load a large chunk of software on a thumb drive if they wanted to. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ) But graphically, it's kinda holding the rest of the game versions back.

YUKI_N
Dec 4, 2007, 09:10 PM
I doubt PSU will jump ship from PS2 in japan. PS3 is a bomb, Xbox is an even bigger one, and Wii online support is laughable

Pengfishh
Dec 4, 2007, 09:11 PM
If that's the case, Poly, I'd imagine a lot of us poor PS2 playing folks getting left in the dust. I'd love to switch to 360 in time, but I'm none too keen on starting over completely. Rather, I'm none too keen on having to start over.

Then again, why the hell not. We shall see..!

Sinue_v2
Dec 4, 2007, 09:17 PM
I believe Sonic Team stated that Episode III would be the "end of our story". Whether this means there will be no more expansions and it's the end of PSU, or if the storyline is going to continue from some other place, time, or event - we don't know. I can't see them cutting PSU so short, and fully expect to see an Ep IV if for nothing else than keeping the servers going (and money coming in), as well as consistancy (PS I-IV, PSO Ep I - IV). Not to mention that they have gone back on their word, such as with the case of Ep III C.A.R.D before Blue Burst.

It may be a case of Sega simply dropping the PS2 platform altogether for a future expansion and making the game just PC/Xbox - with the PC version still connected to PS2 AoI servers.

I honestly can't see Sega revamping the entire game for the PS3, and if it does come to that platform - then it'll be a port, much like the X360 version. Enhanced graphics over the PS2 version, of course, but nothing spectacular.

Pengfishh
Dec 4, 2007, 09:24 PM
On 2007-12-04 18:17, Sinue_v2 wrote:

It may be a case of Sega simply dropping the PS2 platform altogether for a future expansion and making the game just PC/Xbox - with the PC version still connected to PS2 AoI servers.

Same story as Dreamcast to Gamecube, I'd guess. Drop the shit entirely, why not.

I honestly can't see Sega revamping the entire game for the PS3, and if it does come to that platform - then it'll be a port, much like the X360 version. Enhanced graphics over the PS2 version, of course, but nothing spectacular.

Surely this is what they'll do. Hell, they could probably get away with changing nothing but compatibility with the PS3, same fundamental engine and all but it plays only on PS3.

Rashiid
Dec 4, 2007, 09:27 PM
Reminds me of Halo3....
5 days later....
"So, I heard about Halo 4!!!"

Sinue_v2
Dec 4, 2007, 09:29 PM
They will apply the same basic graphical upgrades that the 360 version got, if not a few menial extras to polish things up a bit. They have to. I don't think Sony would allow Sega to publish PSU Ep III on the PS3 if it still looks like it's fresh off the PS2.

Sinue_v2
Dec 4, 2007, 09:38 PM
Graphical quality on a $500 console that's supposed to "lift gaming out of the ghetto" and is powered by supercomputers - sure. Remember how much of a fit they had about 2D games on the PS and PS2? If it wasn't as part of a compilation pack, you can pretty much forget it. A few games got through (like Castlevania: SOTN), but not many.

susaru7
Dec 4, 2007, 09:39 PM
if they want this game to last for seven yrs ,yeah i expect a more then just the expansion we have. It doesnt need an offline story mission with it. heck most morpg dont have offline stories for the extra goodies.

Chaosgyro
Dec 4, 2007, 10:02 PM
Usually I'd be quick to assume this. However, Sony's been shipping recent PS3s without the PS2 hardware, so I'm not sure how well that would go.

But my guess is that future expansions will only run on the PC and Xbox 360.
Call me ignorant, but what's so different about the PS3 from the other consoles? Why does going to PS3 exclude the others and vice versa?

Personally, I'd like to see them go to a more standard MMO format where they publish a load of content on a disk and then add fresh content over time via updates. The next gen consoles now have the hard drive space to handle it like a PC does with its mainsream MMORPGs.

ThEoRy
Dec 4, 2007, 10:09 PM
Sega has officially said this game has a five year plan,.
Isn't that confirmation enough?

Carlo210
Dec 4, 2007, 10:20 PM
On 2007-12-04 19:02, Chaosgyro wrote:

Usually I'd be quick to assume this. However, Sony's been shipping recent PS3s without the PS2 hardware, so I'm not sure how well that would go.

Call me ignorant, but what's so different about the PS3 from the other consoles? Why does going to PS3 exclude the others and vice versa?

Personally, I'd like to see them go to a more standard MMO format where they publish a load of content on a disk and then add fresh content over time via updates. The next gen consoles now have the hard drive space to handle it like a PC does with its mainsream MMORPGs.

We'd like to see that happen, but, sadly, this game is also on PS2 which doesn't have a standard harddrive. The 360 does have a standard harddrive, though it can run without one. However, many games utilize it for updates and expansions (PSU, FFXI, and any game with downloadable content), making the harddrive a standard option for downloading stuff from the marketplace. The only reason why PSU cannot use downloadable content and updates is because the ps2 harddrive never caught on and is mainly only for people who play FFXI on it. The same can't be said about Xbox 360's harddrive as it's hugely common and basically a standard piece of the console.

Pengfishh
Dec 4, 2007, 10:29 PM
So, by and large, the PS2 is actually holding the game back. Hmph.

Wallin
Dec 4, 2007, 10:34 PM

If this is true, then it will probably just have to be a 360 version since I don't think the servers could last without PS2 population, or they would have to do server merging, which is even more unlikely.

oskermayor
Dec 4, 2007, 10:34 PM
On 2007-12-04 17:55, Golto wrote:

Now i don't know how much space AOI takes up on a PS2 disc or even how much PSU took up, however we seem to be forgetting what is on PSU that is not on AOI: the 40-hour offline story mode. To me it seems like this would take up a great deal of space on a disc, what with all of the in-game cinematics that are no longer needed. The EP 2 story only spanned 10 or so chapters and took about 10 hours to complete. I would expect the same from EP 3. I don't know if anyone else agrees with me on this, but it seems like they could easily add more stuff to this game to add another episode along with more missions and weps for all http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Polychrome
Dec 4, 2007, 10:51 PM
On 2007-12-04 18:10, YUKI_N wrote:
I doubt PSU will jump ship from PS2 in japan. PS3 is a bomb, Xbox is an even bigger one, and Wii online support is laughable

However, you'd be hard pressed to find a person in a highly technological society without a *computer* these days.

Not that they don't exist, but it seems like the definite route for PSU to expand.

On 2007-12-04 19:29, Pengfishh wrote:

Yeah, something like that. LOL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Polychrome on 2007-12-04 19:54 ]</font>

Chaosgyro
Dec 4, 2007, 11:16 PM
On 2007-12-04 19:20, Carlo210 wrote:

On 2007-12-04 19:02, Chaosgyro wrote:

We'd like to see that happen, but, sadly, this game is also on PS2 which doesn't have a standard harddrive. The 360 does have a standard harddrive, though it can run without one. However, many games utilize it for updates and expansions (PSU, FFXI, and any game with downloadable content), making the harddrive a standard option for downloading stuff from the marketplace. The only reason why PSU cannot use downloadable content and updates is because the ps2 harddrive never caught on and is mainly only for people who play FFXI on it. The same can't be said about Xbox 360's harddrive as it's hugely common and basically a standard piece of the console.

I was talking more for a true sequel than an expansion. I'm fine with the model for the current game. Also, I was wondering why the choice of architecture for PS3 seemed to exclude PC and 360 for a future game to the point where PS3 would itself be excluded. Unless that point itself was being made about an expansion...in which case I couldn't see it ditching the PS2 either. Once a game is on a platform it pretty much has to stick. (until a sequel!)

...this post is made of epic convolution

Polychrome
Dec 4, 2007, 11:17 PM
On 2007-12-04 20:16, Chaosgyro wrote:

I was talking more for a true sequel than an expansion. I'm fine with the model for the current game. Also, I was wondering why the choice of architecture for PS3 seemed to exclude PC and 360 for a future game to the point where PS3 would itself be excluded. Unless that point itself was being made about an expansion...in which case I couldn't see it ditching the PS2 either. Once a game is on a platform it pretty much has to stick. (until a sequel!)

...this post is made of epic convolution

I was playing the original Everquest when they permanently dropped support for Windows 95. The old Direct X could no longer run the game. Needless to say, there were quite a few angry people, but what are you going to do?

I hate to say it, but it's not too uncommon for these types of games to abandon old platforms. One need only look at the Dreamcast for proof of that.

On 2007-12-04 20:06, Thanubis wrote:
Both PSU and AoI and standard PS2 DVD-5 games so they are no larger than 4.7GB. They could still use a DVD-9 to get nearly 4GB more space.

Hmmm... Now that you mention it...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Polychrome on 2007-12-04 20:21 ]</font>

Getintothegame
Dec 5, 2007, 12:01 AM
I should dig up the first few articles about PSU - I'm fairly sure they said they were planning two expansions or sequels. I'll go looking for a bit and see what I find.

EDIT: http://www.pso-world.com/article.php?sid=1605
I don't think that's what I was talking about, but that's going to have to do for now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2007-12-04 21:15 ]</font>

Helly
Dec 5, 2007, 12:28 AM
Well they've announced a PSP Phantasy Star based on PSU/AoI but obviously that won't be online in any way. So perhaps story-stuff will be moved to PSP PSU's while they pack the PC/Console discs full of online content?

Sinue_v2
Dec 5, 2007, 12:56 AM
I don't think they have any plans for PSU on the PSP in any form.

I know Naka raised the possibility of PSO on the PSP, but only as a way to shoot down the idea of PSO on the DS. I don't think he was actually serious about looking into it.

Helly
Dec 5, 2007, 12:59 AM
On 2007-12-04 21:56, Sinue_v2 wrote:
I don't think they have any plans for PSU on the PSP in any form.

I know Naka raised the possibility of PSO on the PSP, but only as a way to shoot down the idea of PSO on the DS. I don't think he was actually serious about looking into it.

It was announced in this weeks Famitsu~ maybe I'll just make a thread for it.

Ibuka
Dec 5, 2007, 03:38 AM
I just don't see why they just can't make PSU PS2 ver a 2 disk game >.< Disk 1 for Story Mode and Disk 2 for Online Mode >.<

susaru7
Dec 5, 2007, 08:08 AM
Yeah the could , but the question is do they want to.

amtalx
Dec 5, 2007, 08:19 AM
Sure there might be another expansion...but they will continue to drip feed us content thats already on the disc. Maybe in 3 years this game might actually be complete.

Alisha
Dec 5, 2007, 08:24 AM
I believe Sonic Team stated that Episode III would be the "end of our story". Whether this means there will be no more expansions and it's the end of PSU, or if the storyline is going to continue from some other place, time, or event - we don't know. I can't see them cutting PSU so short, and fully expect to see an Ep IV if for nothing else than keeping the servers going (and money coming in), as well as consistancy (PS I-IV, PSO Ep I - IV). Not to mention that they have gone back on their word, such as with the case of Ep III C.A.R.D before Blue Burst.

to be fair epsiode III was the end since if i recall correctly even though i never actually played it i think blue burst takes place in between episode II and episode III.

zemog
Dec 5, 2007, 08:30 AM
On 2007-12-04 19:29, Pengfishh wrote:

Yes, as it did with FFXI... not having the ram capacity to permit the character variety you would find in WoW, for example...

It's basically the same here... but the PS2 was the only platform to go with if they wanted any chance at all to make a profit... so noone can't be angry about choosing PS2... but if we truely want this game to grow, we need to accept the idea of leaving the PS2 behind. Bringing further expansions to just the PC and 360 would be necessary.

I cannot believe that they would end the story after Ep3... that makes no sense... especially if they are aming for a 5 year lifecycle... after just over one year, we are already starting the "final" episode...

So if PS2 is kept in the loop, there will be no more xpansion on disk... meaning no more new environments, enemies, weapons, clothing, etc... and they will only be able to continue new story with the same content we have now...

Chaosgyro
Dec 5, 2007, 09:23 AM
To be fair, having #3 be the end is a mainstay of the series. Especially if Alisha is correct about the PSO eps. Phantasy Star III was truly the end for the main storyline. PSIV took place concurrently and just wrapped up loose ends in the old Algo system.

I could see an episode 4 being either a prequel or a "meanwhile while Ethan, Laia and co. save one part of the world....". I'm hoping for prequel, since it seems that PSU is heavily mining the PSO traditional locales. A *possible* story is that something went horribly horribly wrong in Ragol, all the Pioneer folks died, and Dark Falz (or something) created the SEED...which then shot on over to Gurhal in time for Ep 1.

Reipard
Dec 5, 2007, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't say Phantasy Star III was the end of the storyline. It was more of a side story than anything else and concluded nothing.

A2K
Dec 5, 2007, 09:57 AM
On 2007-12-05 00:38, Ibuka wrote:
I just don't see why they just can't make PSU PS2 ver a 2 disk game >.< Disk 1 for Story Mode and Disk 2 for Online Mode >.<

There would be a lot redundant data that would have to be on both discs: cities, rooms, weapons, etc. It makes more sense to have just one disc rather than two with virtually all the same stuff on them. The actual code differences between Story and Network Mode shouldn't take up much space at all--at least not enough to warrant a second disc.

On 2007-12-05 06:23, Chaosgyro wrote:
To be fair, having #3 be the end is a mainstay of the series. Especially if Alisha is correct about the PSO eps. Phantasy Star III was truly the end for the main storyline. PSIV took place concurrently and just wrapped up loose ends in the old Algo system.

Maybe that works with PSO, but that just isn't the case at all with the original series. For the most part the series was all about the Algol System and PS4 brought a close to that. PS3 didn't take place in the system at all and couldn't be said to have "ended" much of anything at all in that regard.

Golto
Dec 5, 2007, 10:14 AM
Why do people have a hard time accepting the reality this is a Japanese game made for Japanese gamers first? The PS2 is still going strong in Japan. They won't be giving up the PS2 as easily as western gamers have.

Chaosgyro
Dec 5, 2007, 10:18 AM
PS3 didn't take place in the system at all and couldn't be said to have "ended" much of anything at all in that regard.
I bow to the superior wisdom. My own gut feel about it was that PS3 continued the thread of the Algoan (Algols?) fleeing from the destruction in PS2, dragging Dark Force with them, and winding up in an uncertain but potentially promising future. (the riding off into the sunset moment) PS4 did a sort of "meanwhile back in Algo.." thing. Again, just the way my own head categorized it.

Addark
Dec 5, 2007, 11:29 AM
I'd be pissed. I'm not going to lie. I saw that World of Warcraft had an expansion early this year and a SECOND is already coming out in a month. ... Milking the players for money, anyone?

susaru7
Dec 5, 2007, 11:41 AM
i would think that since WOW been out since 2003. they would wanna put out another expansion ,

Zorafim
Dec 5, 2007, 11:46 AM
If they continue the story, I hope they do a PSO sort of thing and add side quests. Critisize me all you want for mentioning it, but I loved the offline side missions. Without interfering with the main story, it built up the world you were in and even the story itself. If the main story does end, I would love a series of sub stories.

zandra117
Dec 5, 2007, 12:45 PM
I miss the hidden mini quests inside quests from pso. I still believe there are at least 2 hidden mini quests that noone ever completely solved still floating around in pso. The hidden "machine has stopped" message in endless nightmare, The switches on the side of the fire run in Gallon's Treachery, and the VR Maintenance message in Respective Tomorrow being possible clues to undiscovered secrets. I did a little investigation on the Gallon's Treachery switches and found some interesting stuff but I could never get a good group of people together to go further with the investigation.

watashiwa
Dec 5, 2007, 01:47 PM
On 2007-12-04 17:55, Golto wrote:

Not really, they ripped the voices out of EP2 offline. The ISO is only about 3.7GB for AOTI.

So you still got ~1GB of space to use.

Helly
Dec 5, 2007, 01:55 PM
On 2007-12-05 05:30, zemog wrote:
Bringing further expansions to just the PC and 360 would be necessary.

Why not the PS3 to? I'm sure at least some of the PS2 PSU playerbase would nudge along to that. And to catch new players up they could put offline story 1, 2 & 3 onto the same blu-ray and still have a ton of disc and hdd space for more love.

GuardianElite
Dec 5, 2007, 05:07 PM
some people are afraid to try new thing s out lol

xennec
Dec 5, 2007, 07:51 PM
Okay, first of all, as mentioned before, this IS a Japanese game and PS2 is still strong over there. I'm surprised that the people here haven't realized that the US is not the target audience of this game. I would be very, very upset if this game was taken off of PS2. Have any of you stopped to think why some people are on PS2 and not all on PC? I play PS2 for one reason: My PC won't run PSU, even when EVERY setting is on the LOWEST possible. I don't have money to go out and buy a new computer or a PS3 for that matter, leaving me with one choice: PS2.

And again people, the disc for PSU is a standard disc, which can easily be upgraded to a DVD for episode 3. Leaving PS2 players behind in the dust with no other way to play is not the answer.

Turbobrain
Dec 5, 2007, 08:06 PM
I tend to get very lose keyed when I have been out drinking.... however, there will IS ONE more episode of PSU planned for release. I cant be bothered to explain or argue(and I'm looking at certain wnkers from certain official sites).

But yeah, PSUIII is in the works right now.... maybe will be released sometime after PSP PSP:)

This was given to me as public info(I would never ever disclouse info given to me in confidence) and I'm sure I'm not the only one... its not like I was given it in a self destructive envelope by a Sega employee lol. As a matter of fact I will even put my game money where my mouth is..... I dont know what else is planned but I do know that PSU Ep3 is currently planned for release. The real question is.... wheres the rum?;)

Pengfishh
Dec 5, 2007, 09:51 PM
In the cupboard!

GuardianElite
Dec 5, 2007, 10:55 PM
On 2007-12-05 16:51, xennec wrote:
Okay, first of all, as mentioned before, this IS a Japanese game and PS2 is still strong over there. I'm surprised that the people here haven't realized that the US is not the target audience of this game. I would be very, very upset if this game was taken off of PS2. Have any of you stopped to think why some people are on PS2 and not all on PC? I play PS2 for one reason: My PC won't run PSU, even when EVERY setting is on the LOWEST possible. I don't have money to go out and buy a new computer or a PS3 for that matter, leaving me with one choice: PS2.

And again people, the disc for PSU is a standard disc, which can easily be upgraded to a DVD for episode 3. Leaving PS2 players behind in the dust with no other way to play is not the answer.

heh kinda impossible to upgrade to dvd if its already a dvd...

GuardianElite
Dec 5, 2007, 11:01 PM
still a dvd...

susaru7
Dec 6, 2007, 08:57 AM
Here ya Go : GameSpy: A TV drama? Like 24 in space, only Jack Bauer is a robot?

Setsumasa: Not exactly, but you get the idea. We plan to release new online content on a regular basis, as well as periodic content expansions, and hope that players will keep enjoying the game for a long time.

We believe that the most important aspect of online gaming is the community. And because of our commitment to the players, we are highly confident that Phantasy Star Universe will be superior in creating strong communities.

Pentence
Dec 6, 2007, 01:56 PM
Ok multi discs will be a bit hard i think UNLESS they include a disc that has say one planets areas and the colony and then holds all the old and current wepons models.Then a second disc to hold all the other planets areas and ,again, all the weapons models.That is a bit a farfetched.

On the other hand we will not see a pc/360 only PSU game ever.Simply for the reason already stated above but hey ill reiterate for the class.PSU is a japanese target audience game most of japan DOES NOT own a ps3 or a highend enough pc or 360 to play period.

So we are left with ps2,now with a dual layered disc and the rate at which they have released content for PSU it seems likely that an expansion is well on the way.This combined with segas own words of a 5 year plan seem to make it obvious that its the case.Also dont forget about the new Phantasy star protable game for PSP comeing out.Who knows maybe it will be like Monster hunter freedom to monster hunter 2.I mean sega LOVES linking their games right?The chao garden need i remind you all.So i see a link there some where maybe items you cant get from playing online mode of PSU you CAN get from playing PSP.

With these facts and the PSP game around the corner its hard to see 'em them switching platforms.Also it is very hard to see them not continueing this franchise.They seem to be backing it hard so lets just support them for now and add our ideas to make this a beter series.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pentence on 2007-12-06 10:59 ]</font>