PDA

View Full Version : AotI-PC/PS2: Thinking about coming back - how are things?

doubleEXP
Dec 6, 2007, 10:42 AM
I played PSU when it first came out. Prior to that, I was a long-time PSO player (since week one of PSO on Dreamcast, late January 2001). But, at the time PSU came out, I wasn't all that impressed.

However, WoW just isn't doing it for me anymore. I still miss the awesomeness that was PSO back in the day AND I've been hearing great things about PSU since AotI came out the other week.

So, what do you think, is it a good time to come back and give it a try?

How's the population on PS2/PC these days?

Two other minor questions:

1. I used to have problems on my PC with framerate unless I dropped the rez to 800 x600, even though I run WoW on maxed settings at 1280 x 1024. Have they in any way improved the way PSU runs on PC since last year?

2. I've heard there's a way on PC to make your screen fonts smooth, but I never figured it out. How do you do that?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: doubleEXP on 2007-12-06 07:44 ]</font>

SolRiver
Dec 6, 2007, 12:15 PM
PSU:AotI is alot more casual than it was before. If you want a game to have "fun" and relax, this is for you. But, if you are into ZOMG hardcore money making from playing game and training 24/7 for a new level, then this isn't for you.

The PC/PS2 can defintely use some more players... (dam xbox dividing a community that is already small enough) Though as long as you stay in 1 server, you won't have trouble finding people to play with. 4 and 1/2 star at peak hour. Most european aren't in AotI yet, so that is a pretty big population cut for now. While your biggest problem is if you play in "off" hour, then you will have quite some trouble finding the right party if you aren't already lv80+.

There are some balance issue with classes, but I don't think you will care =O The off-balance issue aren't major enough to do much to one's fun.

I say it is a good time to come back. I left 5 months ago, and now I am back.

Tell us your PC's spec.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolRiver on 2007-12-06 09:17 ]</font>

Pentence
Dec 6, 2007, 01:34 PM
In short answer YES,well worht your while.I would say AoI is truly bringing PSU into a game of merit.I hope the scores that SHOULD be forth comeing from magazines and otehr reviewers reflect this.The content is larger now with a story that is actualy involving especialy for a MMO.So all in all yeah its by far more fun to romp around in though it is definitly a grab and go game.It is not the throw you life away for a game MMO.

Kylie
Dec 6, 2007, 01:41 PM
So, what do you think, is it a good time to come back and give it a try?
It's definitely a good time to come back. Everything is fresh again like a new car, and a lot of the issues that v1 had are gone.

How's the population on PS2/PC these days?
Not as good as I was hoping, honestly, but we're still growing. People that played PSU / PSO are doing the same thing you're doing now, contemplating a return, so I'm sure we can at least fill a universe again soon.

I can't answer the other two questions since I'm PS2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DoubleJG
Dec 6, 2007, 01:55 PM
Yep, it's definately worth it. I play PSU when it first came out for about 3-6 months and realized that... it wasn't that great. I ended up taking a 6month break (also because I had dial-up back then, making it VERY difficult to play), and I returned once AOI launched and I got highspeed.

AOI and the huge gameplay update which happened a few weeks ago REALLY turned this game into the casual, fun loving game that it was meant to be. Honestly, it's definately worth a try.

PS: Although the 360 has a LARGE community in comparison to the PS2/PC server, there's still enough people to get games going.

ThEoRy
Dec 6, 2007, 03:32 PM
How are they?

They're GRRREAT!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/RickTheory/tonythetiger.jpg

doubleEXP
Dec 6, 2007, 04:33 PM
Haha, nice reply ThEoRy. =P

And thanks to all of ya's for your responses. That sounds great. I'm going to pick up AotI on my way home today, and possibly a new graphics card (if I have enough money... >_>).

As I'm sure some of ya know, nothing beats Phantasy Star. Ever since the original PSO I consider myself spoiled when it comes to online rpg's. Other online rpg's are obviously 'bigger' and have more to do but they all... imho... lack that certain something that PSO has. Something I can ever quite put my finger on, but yeah. PSO was WAY more fun to me than any other online rpg.

So... I think I had my expectations TOO high when PSU first came out. I couldn't help it.

Anyway, I'm really glad to know that PSU is taking a turn for the better with AotI! That's awesome to hear.

So, to quote (from memory) the old DC PSO Perfect Guide: "Proving once again that nothing stops a bullet better than a low cut halter top, these hotties have the best EVA in the game..." That's right, I'm resurrecting my old HUnewearl. I'm remaking her for PSU, obviously, but my (hu)Newearl is coming back. Tonight.

EDIT: Looked in a bunch of stores tonight for AotI and didn't find it anywhere. Was this a limited release? Most store people I talked to hadn't even heard of it. =/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: doubleEXP on 2007-12-06 19:10 ]</font>

doubleEXP
Dec 7, 2007, 03:38 PM
Cool - just called a Gamestop that isn't too far from where I live and they have a copy. I should have it in a couple hours!

So, look out for my level 1 awesomeness, coming soon. =P

Pengfishh
Dec 7, 2007, 03:57 PM
Do it up, son. Do it up.

beatrixkiddo
Dec 7, 2007, 04:01 PM
What's up, CHAMP? :3

Pengfishh
Dec 7, 2007, 04:04 PM
Workin' on a groovy thing, kiddo. Hm, too fitting. Workin' on a groovy thing, SPORT.

beatrixkiddo
Dec 7, 2007, 04:06 PM
Not you, DoubleEXP. He's the CHAMP :3

doubleEXP
Dec 7, 2007, 04:35 PM
Haha ~ no worries. I'm just getting excited to get this. I've been chatting with a few people I know online (plus reading this board a bit) and it does seem like a lot of the things I didn't like so much about PSU have been changed for the better with AotI.

I can't wait to create my Newearl and get busy kicking ass with photon weapons! It's been too long.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: doubleEXP on 2007-12-07 13:35 ]</font>