PDA

View Full Version : NaCl

Blitzkommando
Dec 6, 2007, 08:45 PM
Table salt. Why does everyone seem to want to dump this on everything? I prefer to taste what I am eating, not just salt. Now, because I literally haven't picked up a salt shaker in years outside of cleaning the dinner table or perhaps seasoning while cooking, so everything tends to taste salty to me.

I think the worst was when I got a brownie sundae for dessert and couldn't eat the damn thing because it tasted like they had dumped the whole saltshaker on it. I realize brownies require salt, but that is ridiculous. Chocolate should taste sweet, not salty.

And, of course, worst are the people whom you fix a meal for only to see them pick up the saltshaker before they even take a bite. Good God, do you realize how insulting that is to the chef? The chef took the time to season and create your meal for you in the way he or she felt was the proper way to fix it. And you, before even trying a bite, decide to change the meal. At least have the courtesy to try a few bites before dumping your heart-attack particulates on it. I realize you might not care for the way the chef prepared the meal, and hey, that's fine. However, be decent enough about it to at least try the meal the way they made it before going all willy-nilly with the salt (or pepper, ketchup, whatever else). Mind you I'm speaking of restaurants or persons' homes, not burger joints or cookouts where the meal is left for you to season.

My blood pressure is nice and low in part due to how little salt I consume, or at least attempt to not consume. But with so many pre-packaged items just loaded in salt (soups, chips/crisps, and baked goods are notorious for insane salt content) it's just so hard to avoid it. Not to mention those salty things make you so thirsty all the time. So, please, lay off the salt. You might be amazed at how good things taste without it. Plus your heart and cardiovascular system will thank you for it.

Solstis
Dec 6, 2007, 08:48 PM
I like salty things (as long as I have water nearby), but if you're on an interview dinner/lunch and condimentalize your food before tasting it, good luck getting hired.

AlexCraig
Dec 6, 2007, 08:50 PM
This has been a public service announcement http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

You are right, though. Sometimes people DO put too much salt on their foods, but there really is nothing one can do about it. Sometimes people like a lot of salt on their food. Sometimes just a bit to enhance the flavor.

Darkly
Dec 6, 2007, 09:01 PM
I feel like people are missing out when they just dump condiments all over things. In the uk, everyone seems to abuse brown sauce - im not sure if there is a US equivelent though. I don't salt my food, only fries really, but i barely eat fries anymore so i suppose i just consume salt in whatever contains it.

omegapirate2k
Dec 6, 2007, 09:09 PM
Bleh, I never put salt on anything.

EphekZ
Dec 6, 2007, 10:03 PM
I'm glad you mentioned Ketchup. I hate Ketchup. It just kills everything, when you put ketchup it doesn't become _____+ketchup, it's Ketchup...oh and _____. My biggest Peeve with ketchup is with eggs. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif
oh and damn that salt.

Scrub
Dec 7, 2007, 12:43 AM
i disagree. I just love the taste of ketchup, im one of those guys that goes through a bottle or two in a week.

I dont know, I just really love it, so I put it on most foods. Its not that the food is bad, its just that ketchup is SOOOO GOOD.

To a lesser extent, salt, but usually only a shake or two. What I DO love salt with his Chocolate, though. We have these candy things called Club Sandwiches around here, they're basically some saltines with peanut butter in the middle, covered in chocolate. The saltiness in the crackers really makes the chocolate taste good.

Other condiments can fuck off.

Broodstar1337
Dec 7, 2007, 01:00 AM
Salt works wonders with snails. Try it sometime.

Nai_Calus
Dec 7, 2007, 01:41 AM
I hate salty stuff. One of the reasons I so despise instant ramen. Pure disgusting salt. Blech.

amtalx
Dec 7, 2007, 11:07 AM
Put AJAX in the salt shaker. That'll teach 'em good.

Zorak000
Dec 7, 2007, 11:46 AM
I recall that if JC penny (the man, not the store chain) invited you to dinner, and you salted/peppered your food before you took a bite, he fired you. on the spot.

omegapirate2k
Dec 7, 2007, 03:09 PM
On 2007-12-06 19:03, EphekZ wrote:
I'm glad you mentioned Ketchup. I hate Ketchup. It just kills everything, when you put ketchup it doesn't become _____+ketchup, it's Ketchup...oh and _____. My biggest Peeve with ketchup is with eggs. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif
oh and damn that salt.

I WOULDN'T SMACK TALK THE MODS IF I WERE YOU.

MrNomad
Dec 7, 2007, 04:00 PM
Salt is the taste of kings. Salt and vinegar, salt chips etc. And Ketchup is a sexy tasty sauce. To not have ketchup for me would be like the earth with no air. Its not kosher, not kosher at all...