PDA

View Full Version : AotI: I have to give it up to PSU, things ARE much better n

doubleEXP
Dec 10, 2007, 09:28 AM
I'm one of those people who originally got this game at launch and then got impatient with the slow rate of updates and some of the other issues this game had at launch. So, after about a month or so, I left for WoW. I pretty much wrote off PSU at that point.

However, I've been a fan of the Phantasy Star games since the Genesis days and I absolutely loved PSO, so I kept tabs on this board. When I heard AotI was coming out, I waited to see how it was received.

When I heard good things from the players I decided to give it another go.

I have to say: I am very, very impressed.

Now, finally, from the get-go, there's lots of things to do, places to visit, reasons to play. It seems like cash is dropping in much more sane amounts now, making it feel less 'grindy' when I play.

In fact, despite my rough start with this game a year ago, I have to admit... I'm starting to get that old PSO feeling again. That's a good thing.

So, I'm mostly posting this in case there's other players like me out there, players that tried PSU a year ago and might not have gotten into it (or who stayed away because of the bad reviews). Ambition of the Illuminus is an AWESOME expansion. It feels like PSU is what it should have been a year ago. If you loved PSO and/or you're tired of the WoW-scene and really want to play a more action-oriented online rpg: play this game.

I'm not saying its the greatest game ever made or anything like, but it is fun. And now that they've tweaked the combat engine and added tons of content to it, its so worth playing. Trust me: I was VERY down on this game a year ago, so for me to turn around ~ a year later ~ and give it high marks should count for something. Hopefully we can get more of the old PSO'ers to come back and join us!

ilovetypemoon
Dec 10, 2007, 09:34 AM
Sigh, unfortunately, a little too late. The damage has been done and the 2.5-3 universes we had back in the launch days has whittled down to 4 stars. I love this game but I just wish more people would get into it (which is impossible because lack of advertising means "WTF is PSU")

MetalIdol876
Dec 10, 2007, 09:37 AM
On 2007-12-10 06:34, ilovetypemoon wrote:
Sigh, unfortunately, a little too late. The damage has been done and the 2.5-3 universes we had back in the launch days has whittled down to 4 stars. I love this game but I just wish more people would get into it (which is impossible because lack of advertising means "WTF is PSU")

Plus nobody will advertise a game with such dead servers. PSU is screwed as far as advertising goes. It's just downhill from here.

Fresh
Dec 10, 2007, 09:41 AM
On 2007-12-10 06:37, MetalIdol876 wrote:

Plus nobody will advertise a game with such dead servers. PSU is screwed as far as advertising goes. It's just downhill from here.

Maybe for pc/ps2 on the 360 servers we have 2-2.5 full uni's and about 15 stars scattered out over the other 28 uni's... so i don't think its dying maybe everyone should just move to 360 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ilovetypemoon
Dec 10, 2007, 09:50 AM

It isn't hard to advertise a game with dead servers. All that's required is some incentive for people to get interested, like free trials, free downloads for limited time, prootional items, ad banners in popular sites like crt alt dlt or penny arcade.

The problem is that Sega of America's marketing department is either 1)nonexistent or 2)composed of lovable monkeys.

doubleEXP
Dec 10, 2007, 10:28 AM
Well that's part of why I made this topic.

Like I said, I also had written off PSU after last year. But because I love Phantasy Star so much, every once in while I would peek back hear and check on things. When AotI came out, I was really glad to see how much people like it. That's why I came back.

Maybe a few people will see this topic and they'll also come back. And maybe they'll bring in a friend or two with them...

Hey, even a snowball can start an avalanche!

Telina
Dec 10, 2007, 10:29 AM
People often forget that there arn't too many other games like PSU on the 360 yet, where as on a PC or a ps2 there are other games people can play with simiilar gameplay. i think the lack of RPGs on the 360 is a major contributing factor to PSU's popularity.

Golto
Dec 10, 2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah Sega can afford, being the publisher, of airing tv commericals for Mario and Sonic at the Commie Olympics. But they can't afford to run commericals for AOI.

Benegesserit
Dec 10, 2007, 10:36 AM
On 2007-12-10 07:29, Telina wrote:
People often forget that there arn't too many other games like PSU on the 360 yet, where as on a PC or a ps2 there are other games people can play with simiilar gameplay. i think the lack of RPGs on the 360 is a major contributing factor to PSU's popularity.

A gross lack of RPGs. Tales of Symphonia only did well on the GC because it was lacking RPGs at the time as well. If FFXI wasn't such a piece of crap, PSU would be lacking a playerbase as well on the 360.

ThEoRy
Dec 10, 2007, 10:43 AM
To the OP Yes things are pretty excellent right now I must say. I am thoroughly enjoying myself. The future is looking bright as well.

To Telina.. maybe the scene will change once the Conan mmo, Bioware mmo and possible DBZ mmo hit the scene... Even if it does no matter what happens, I'll still be on PSU.

Angelo
Dec 10, 2007, 10:47 AM
On 2007-12-10 06:28, doubleEXP wrote:

In fact, despite my rough start with this game a year ago, I have to admit... I'm starting to get that old PSO feeling again. That's a good thing.

I couldn't agree more. I'm also really impressed with AoI.

I'm fearful for the PC version though. It seems like the US servers are almost always dead. I fear PSU's life will be cut short.

doubleEXP
Dec 10, 2007, 10:50 AM
Well, this was my first weekend back.

All universes had some activity during the weekend and Universe 2 was 3-4+ stars all weekend.

So, hopefully we can build on that!

Mewnie
Dec 10, 2007, 10:58 AM
I stuck by, even though, as the OP said, the grind was (and still is, to a lesser degree) soul crushing at times. I just
hope they increase vanilla PSU droprates to AoI levels. That would be nice.

As for free demos; at least for the PC, it would be easy to do. I'd suggest disabling all trading or dropping of items on
trial accounts, as WoW and Lineage 2 do, to prevent scams.

I don't really want to see this game fade away so quickly.

Are you reading this Sega?

Akaimizu
Dec 10, 2007, 11:05 AM
On 2007-12-10 07:36, Benegesserit wrote:

On 2007-12-10 07:29, Telina wrote:

A gross lack of RPGs. Tales of Symphonia only did well on the GC because it was lacking RPGs at the time as well. If FFXI wasn't such a piece of crap, PSU would be lacking a playerbase as well on the 360.

It was a lack of RPGs, at the time, but then the console was still young. Every console had a similar amount of RPGs in that young age. PSU came at a good time, and quite early in the console's history. For the other versions; well, they're ancient and have had years to build up the library. But as for life-to-RPG count, (particularly in the west) it's matching a good average.

However, even in this day, there's a big lack of online multi-player dungeon-crawlers, particularly on consoles. That's where there is little competition. The PC is the only market kind of flooded with them.

Telina
Dec 10, 2007, 11:30 AM
Good RPGs seem to be few and far apart nowadays, *le sigh*

But i agree with the reemerging PSO feeling with the AOI release. (would quote for impact sake, but someone is forum illiterate >.> <.<). And to the OP, i wish some of my friends who played it at release and left would carry the same mindset as you and give it another try D:

doubleEXP
Dec 10, 2007, 11:34 AM
On 2007-12-10 08:30, Telina wrote:
Good RPGs seem to be few and far apart nowadays, *le sigh*

But i agree with the reemerging PSO feeling with the AOI release. (would quote for impact sake, but someone is forum illiterate >.> <.<). And to the OP, i wish some of my friends who played it at release and left would carry the same mindset as you and give it another try D:

Well, you could always send them the link to this topic, haha. Maybe they'll see that even a player like me ~ who totally wrote off PSU last year ~ is having a blast now!

Mystil
Dec 10, 2007, 11:35 AM
On 2007-12-10 06:41, Fresh wrote:

Maybe for pc/ps2 on the 360 servers we have 2-2.5 full uni's and about 15 stars scattered out over the other 28 uni's... so i don't think its dying maybe everyone should just move to 360 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

As assholish as your statement sounds, I bet people are doing that anyway. Most of the 360 population is pc/ps2 refugees.

Key reasons I don't wont to go are:

1. I'm not starting all over. 130mil in gear and 4 characters. Also not buying ANOTHER PSU copy.

2. Not sure if I'll have a better experience. If the demo shared the same server as the paying one, I'd give it a test run.

3. I have no lag on my PC and don't want the lag that the 360 players deal with.

4. I'm not going to use a mic.

5. I use both male and female characters and don't feel like the bullshit from some guy(s) insulting me over it.

Mewnie
Dec 10, 2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah, for me, it's performance. I have a pretty beefy computer, so why would I want to -downgrade-?

Also, PC > console :3

CelestialBlade
Dec 10, 2007, 11:44 AM
On 2007-12-10 08:35, Mystil wrote:
As assholish as your statement sounds, I bet people are doing that anyway. Most of the 360 population is pc/ps2 refugees.

1. I'm not starting all over. 130mil in gear and 4 characters. Also not buying ANOTHER PSU copy.

2. Not sure if I'll have a better experience. If the demo shared the same server as the paying one, I'd give it a test run.

3. I have no lag on my PC and don't want the lag that the 360 players deal with.

5. I use both male and female characters and don't feel like the bullshit from some guy(s) insulting me over it.

Yeah, basically the exact reasoning why I've never even considered moving....oh, that and I don't own a 360.

And remember folks, a bigger community does not necessarily mean a better one.

Sychosis
Dec 10, 2007, 11:53 AM
ITT: Praising of PSU turns to platform bias and console bashing. GG PSOW.

Mewnie
Dec 10, 2007, 12:07 PM
We love our PSU on PC/PS2 >:3

Don't need some dirty 360 scrub telling us to drop coin on a console just for one game. :3

Cry0
Dec 10, 2007, 12:10 PM
I had EXACTLy the same feeling as you.

joluh
Dec 10, 2007, 12:14 PM
On 2007-12-10 08:44, Typheros wrote: And remember folks, a bigger community does not necessarily mean a better one.

Amen.

Hokokaru
Dec 10, 2007, 12:17 PM
on the xbox in the featured downloads is the AotI lol so its advertised somewhere

Telina
Dec 10, 2007, 12:24 PM
i think the xbl ads were more microsofts doing than SEGA's i fear. : i think sega is sacking away this monthly fee we're giving them in hopes of raising the company back to a console development status and not just a game developer. Or perhaps i'm paranoid and think i have developed psychic abilities that work over the net

Chaosgyro
Dec 10, 2007, 12:31 PM
I've played both. I own vanilla on the 360 and AoI on PC, and I can tell you that it's really just a case of "6 of one, or a half-dozen of the other". The game feels the same between the two honestly. The 360 has more people milling about on some servers, but the PC/PS2 has just as many at the hotspots - which are the only areas worth getting in pugs at any particular moment on either server anyway.

I switched from the 360 because I prefer NOT hearing every random person I group with. 9 times out of 10 it was some unintelligible mumbling, a Napoleon Dynamite wannabe screaming into his mic, or a 6 year old kid with a fouler mouth than a boatload of sailors. I'm going to leave out the people who carried on conversations with roommates or sang along to songs no one could hear, because I'm pretty sure I wasn't the intended audience. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Oh, and I can get much more performance out of my new PC than my 360.

Akaimizu
Dec 10, 2007, 12:32 PM
I think so, too. Not necessarily in regards of them becoming a console developer (they lost way too much making the switch to dev-only and splitting up their teams. A definite one-way only move). SEGA hardly spends a dime for their xbl ads and MS most likely handled the promotion and the timing of it.

As I said before, SEGA is kind of riding on MS to have their game promoted as xbl does an incredible job promoting games. However, it is SEGAs idea to do the demo weekends, but mainly because they don't have to really pay money to do it. They made a demo *once* and that's it.

As for XBL. We have clans just like the PC folks do. And if you want to avoid random kids, you do it just like you do it on PC. Check the websites (like this one) and form your groups. Heck, even the PSP online community (how small that is) has the same grouping aspects. Hearing Napoleon Dynamite is still a choice, just mute the suckers if they don't have anything helpful to say. What day we live in when people choose the more lengthy decision to avoid a situation solved with a simple one.

Still, what community you choose really isn't as much of an issue for overall game quality. I've said this way back when the PC folk were saying their servers will have higher population (and were touting that as a feature). That population doesn't equal quality, and that it generally ends up the same, anyway. I still stand by that as (unlike a multitude of folks) I stand by the opinion as an experienced player of online games across both platforms and as one who wont take the hypocrite stance once the shoe is on the other foot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-12-10 09:39 ]</font>

Reipard
Dec 10, 2007, 01:16 PM
I wish the servers were merged mainly because I like seeing the crowds. But it'll never really happen.

I am glad to see you enjoying PSU. There's definitely a lot to like about AOI right from the get-go (which wasn't true in original PSU on launch); it's huge, there's a lot to do and a lot of variety. And like original PSU, AOI will only get better as time goes on.

Shardio
Dec 10, 2007, 01:27 PM
I think PSU Vanilla was great from the start, and AOTI just added more to an already winning formula. Well, for me at least.
Anyways, great that you're enjoying PSU a lot!
And for the sake of RPGs... don't forget Story Mode http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

JuggBishop
Dec 10, 2007, 01:40 PM
**Can I get an AMEN!!**
PSU has made a great bouce back with the expansion. I look forward to more content coming. Max G event will be much needed.

DarkNoise
Dec 10, 2007, 01:46 PM
Theres only one problem with the 360 version... it's the Demo. Hundred of players are content being able to play the same old boring crap and restart after 30 days on the demo as long as it's there and they can play for free. This is the biggest problem. You remove that demo from XBL and most will consider jumping to the full game, while the rest moan about it. But either way, the problem right now is that a lot of 360 users will play the demo just because it's free and it's taking all the attention away from the full game.

The only other way of course to fix this would be for sega to either switch to gamer points for payment on the 360 or scrap payment all together.... ain't gonna happen... ever!

On a side note I do agree, the game sucked when it came out, money was scarce, the leveling was insane to try and do, and there weren't much to do. Thanks to AOI though every things been rebalanced, added new features and I'm able to enjoy myself. Thanks to all the tweaks (although it could use a few more here and there) tp me it now well and truly feels like the rightful successor to PSO.

Akaimizu
Dec 10, 2007, 01:50 PM
Who knows. The demo hasn't really been updated in forever, so there's a ton of features they miss out on, by playing the demo. Also, characters tend to get wiped, on the demo, so most never really get much more than a taste of the game. Compared to what it is today, it is truly just a demo.

However, I do agree that it does feel a bit more like PSO. Particularly the reward system. And while that makes things a bit easier....I can't really say PSO was that difficult either. I can definitely say that meseta earning is a lot closer to PSO standards...except that there's actually stuff to spend money on, in this game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-12-10 10:52 ]</font>

Kylie
Dec 10, 2007, 02:04 PM
I feel the same way, except I never stopped playing. I've always liked PSU, but I recognized that there were a lot of issues that needed attention on v1, and I'm very pleased that most of them got attention. A good game became even better for me, and now the concept that I like matches up with the actual game. It's nice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

doubleEXP
Dec 10, 2007, 02:57 PM
On 2007-12-10 11:04, Lorelei wrote:
I feel the same way, except I never stopped playing. I've always liked PSU, but I recognized that there were a lot of issues that needed attention on v1, and I'm very pleased that most of them got attention. A good game became even better for me, and now the concept that I like matches up with the actual game. It's nice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Cool!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

susaru7
Dec 10, 2007, 04:06 PM
Actually this can be solve, Ps3 has old games for download on its network, so all they have to do is put a demo of the game on its network, And for the pc have a trial based period. Doing so would up the population on the PC/Ps2. I know it can be done. Heck just having people in your house watching u play the game is an advertisement. Hehe http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif i know because that how one of my friends found out about it.

pikachief
Dec 10, 2007, 04:13 PM
On 2007-12-10 08:44, Typheros wrote:

On 2007-12-10 08:35, Mystil wrote:

Yeah, basically the exact reasoning why I've never even considered moving....oh, that and I don't own a 360.

And remember folks, a bigger community does not necessarily mean a better one.

1. I dont see any lag.

2. There are a fwe people i paly with who dont use mics, its not like its required or anything >.>

3. Don't MOST people have male and female charcters? almost everyone on the 360 servers do XD also your PC version are harder critics http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I get a ton of "Kitty looks sexy" on 360 and on PC i get a lot of "OMG YOUR FUGLY LEAVE!" >.>

doubleEXP
Dec 10, 2007, 04:18 PM
Please, let's try to keep this topic away from which platform people prefer to play PSU on. Platform arguments never end except in locked topics.

I know some people have strong feelings about their platform of choice, but please argue about it somewhere else.

I posted this topic in the hopes of getting new people (or old players who left a long time ago) to give AotI a try.

Arguing about 360 vs pc/ps2 isn't going to help that...

Thank-you
>Everyone

Saphion
Dec 10, 2007, 04:23 PM
doubleEXP, is the community any better in regards to enjoying themselves? I was always having a laugh in PSO but in PSU everyone was deadly serious about the game, and did the same mission OVER AND OVER again. Instead of doing something, y'know, fun.

So, any difference?

doubleEXP
Dec 10, 2007, 04:36 PM
On 2007-12-10 13:23, Saphion wrote:
doubleEXP, is the community any better in regards to enjoying themselves? I was always having a laugh in PSO but in PSU everyone was deadly serious about the game, and did the same mission OVER AND OVER again. Instead of doing something, y'know, fun.

So, any difference?

Well, keep in mind I *just* started playing again last Friday. And I'm starting from the very beginning. Even so, I have met a couple of nice players already, and a lot of people in the 'hot spots' have been very friendly too.

I'll have to leave it to others to tell what they think overall, since mostly I've been soloing so far. Not because I'm anti-social or because I think the other players are anti-social. I'm just trying to get my character rolling is all. I was the same way in PSO, at first. After 'dipping my toes' in online, I played a ton of offline (and solo online) to get my character sort of built up, and then I grouped all the time. I have a similar plan for PSU.

However, I have noticed that just about everyone I've met (or even just been around) has been friendly and polite. I've seen people congratulating each other on nice drops or PA level ups and all that good stuff.

I definitely think its worth checking out, that's why I made this topic.

If you make a character on the ps2/pc version I'd play with you. I have a newearl named Platinum. Let me know if you make it online!

SpikeOtacon
Dec 10, 2007, 05:10 PM
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I gave up on PSU, though my attention went straight to college work and Team Fortress 2 when that came out. I discovered that the PSU expansion was out completely by accident and I have to agree that it's a lot better than it was. I felt the PSO feeling again. It's not quite there yet, but the new event coming around the corner will really help me catch up to some friends of mine who have characters in the 90-100 range while i'm still between 26-46.

Keep the magic coming, SEGA.

Complex_Jao
Dec 10, 2007, 05:11 PM
the 360 has a demo.

Dragwind
Dec 10, 2007, 05:16 PM
Wow, some of you have such negative outlooks. If we had any form of advertising, things would only get better. Even if only slightly. Advertising is a problem ST has state side though. Nothing we can do but hope.

SpikeOtacon
Dec 10, 2007, 05:18 PM
On 2007-12-10 14:16, Dragwind wrote:
Wow, some of you have such negative outlooks. If we had any form of advertising, things would only get better. Even if only slightly. Advertising is a problem ST has state side though. Nothing we can do but hope.

I'd say we start our own viral marketing campaign.

pikachief
Dec 10, 2007, 05:18 PM
On 2007-12-10 10:50, Akaimizu wrote:
Who knows. The demo hasn't really been updated in forever, so there's a ton of features they miss out on, by playing the demo. Also, characters tend to get wiped, on the demo, so most never really get much more than a taste of the game. Compared to what it is today, it is truly just a demo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-12-10 10:52 ]</font>

my charcters havent been getting wiped on it lately. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

also the demo hasnt EVER been updated XD

Saphion
Dec 10, 2007, 05:20 PM
I'm severely tempted, I'll tell you that. And I've been heavily against PSU's existence for a good while now. Even so, I'll have to solve my cashflow problem first. (That is to say, there isn't any.) And oddly enough, I have the PC version.

Reading about those PSO updates on the PSO World homepage just got me all giddy.

Hopefully I'll have something sorted by the time the expansion reaches UK shores.

RedX
Dec 10, 2007, 05:48 PM
On 2007-12-10 07:47, Angelo wrote:
It seems like the US servers are almost always dead.

Since you can only be on 1 universe at a time we're only missing around 200 people, most if not all of which would be at the exact same hotspot as everyone else. it wouldn't be that noticeable of a difference.

Noblewine
Dec 10, 2007, 07:06 PM
I love the updates! I mean i played it after the second week of it's release and it was hard making alot of progress in the game. I'm glad they fixed the meseta drop and adjust the damage so you don't suffer to much from mobs.
Anyways this game has brought a couple of Halo 3 maniac to the PSU servers so even a overlooked gem can bring back veterans of this franchise.

KateLoire
Dec 10, 2007, 08:40 PM
DoubleEXP took the words right out of my mouth.

Chaosgyro
Dec 10, 2007, 08:52 PM
Setting the gameplay tweaks aside, the biggest single reason PSU is so much more awesome now is because there is a boatload of CONTENT. Actually, most of that content is just the vanilla PSU stuff that has finally been totally unlocked. If this seems awesome then we should all make sure to take stock in another year once AoI is fully released.../pantsload

Iceman2667
Dec 10, 2007, 09:55 PM
I just started playing online and I was wondering why I never saw anyone

Zorafim
Dec 10, 2007, 09:57 PM
Try going to universe 2. See those floating red cubes? Try using them.

doubleEXP
Dec 10, 2007, 09:57 PM
On 2007-12-10 18:55, Iceman2667 wrote:

If you play the pc/ps2 version go to Universe 2. That one always has a ton of players. If you see a newbish newearl running around named Platinum say hi. That's me, haha.

Iceman2667
Dec 10, 2007, 10:03 PM
On 2007-12-10 18:57, doubleEXP wrote:

On 2007-12-10 18:55, Iceman2667 wrote:

If you play the pc/ps2 version go to Universe 2. That one always has a ton of players. If you see a newbish newearl running around named Platinum say hi. That's me, haha.

cool man, i'll keep an eye out for you

KiteWolfwood
Dec 11, 2007, 01:49 AM
I am one of those people that got it day of release, bought the 6 month subscription and then quit a little after the first few S rank mission were released. The game was just to much of a grind. Run dragon runs 20 times to level then repeat.

Normal attacks were just pretty much useless on A/S mobs since they had so much hp compared to your damage. It was all about PA spam. So then you ended up just being broke all time from recharging, unless you were lucky enough to get something rare that sold for a good amount of hacked meseta.

With all the updates and this expansion it sounds like the game has become a lot more fun. I am becoming more and more tempted to try it out again and see what all the buzz is about.

Pengfishh
Dec 11, 2007, 02:05 AM
Almost seems like playing on super easy mode, but meh, there are more people to play with anymore. Thank goodness school is almost done with. I will have time for you, PSU.

TheTofuShop
Dec 11, 2007, 02:07 AM
I love PSU and I've been playing AotI since i think 3 days after launch. I played original for a while, but eventually left for other games. Now I have Bioshock, Call of Duty 4 and Assassin's Creed just sitting and I can't put AotI down.

I try to get my friends to play but they are all playing Mass Effect... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

Indica
Dec 11, 2007, 04:16 AM

Id move to the 360 if I could transfer my characters and 650 Million Meseta

Pentence
Dec 11, 2007, 05:36 AM
I have been playing sicne day one but admit i certainly did get bored for a bit.However since AOI hit i have been playing the most since the first week.So i feel ya mate also i have some low level characters looking for buddies so OP just send me a PM with a place to meet up ill oblige gladly.

On anotehr note i cant wait till the EU release that will have more people on the pc ps2 ver quick im sure.

FnalKnight
Dec 11, 2007, 07:54 AM
Chapter One: The birth of an Epic

Just a little back story on my Phantasy Star history. I actually started playing Phantasy Star III over Sega Channel back in the day and I never knew how to save or anything like that so I would have to start from the beginning of the game everytime I played (and I still don't know where you save so if anyone can tell me in a PM or something I would appreciate it).

So as I said I started with PSIII which is apparently the weakest of the original series and then played PSII and then PSI, it wasn't until about a week before PSU:AotI release that I started PSIV do to the fact that I don't approve of emulators and it hadn't been ported to handheld, I finally gave in and bought it on Amazon.com for the PS2 to hold me off till PSU:AotI release. I the PSO series was pretty epic for me, I own it on all consoles that it was released on and PSO:BB, didn't manage to get a DC until Version Two was released. I started playing online a week later and bought a Broadband Adapter for my DC just for PSO (I love PSO <3).

Something about Sega's epic unpolished masterpiece made me giddy. The story was always cool even if it wasn't told through flashy CG cinematics or spoken dialogue (PSO has the best story and best method of story telling that I personally enjoyed, it wasn't narrated it was involving). The setting wasn't the typical Dungeon and Dragons setting like every other RPG up until then and that made it stand out for me.

Chapter Two: PSU hype and my agony till the release

PSU came into my life little more than two years ago when I saw the original E3 trailer and my only response was a soft smile and a "hell yes" to my fellow college classmates.
I kept playing PSO for the Xbox despite all the hacking for a long time trying to easy the waiting pains, I would proceed to start from scratch on the GCN servers (with all three PSO games) and the Blue Burst game (I really wish one of two things were handled with this game, either Episode Three would have been released with it or Episode Four was released on Xbox/GCN). I pre-ordered PSU the moment it was able to be pre-ordered at my local EBGames and called every week to check on the pre-order bonuses.

PSU came out and I was standing there as they cut open the first shipment, rushing home I breezed through the first six or so chapters before work and beat PSU episode one about a month later (damn PM and all the drops)Dulk Fakis was pure fan service for me, his first form reminds me of PSI final boss. I didn't manage to get to play online until I believe about August of this year, I started playing on the PS2/PC servers with a bud of mine who no longer plays. Breezed through Episode Two which was so creative and not the typical Alien invasion/ultimate evil story you always get in RPGs.

PSU:AotI came out and I did the same thing, rushed home and started playing only this time it was online with the awesome community that makes this game the best online game I've ever played. I mean honestly what kind of "MMO" has someone give you 60,000 as a starting budget? Not to mention every single person I party with was nice and helpful, I only once had someone yell at me but it turned out to be a misunderstanding and we settled it the next block that loaded.

Chapter Three: In awe...

PSU, in my personal opinion is everything I wanted it to be it has a much larger size and scale than PSO did, the combat is far more involving not to mention all the content and customization you can do in this game. My room feels like Animal Crossing meets Star Wars.

I've always been a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland and Fantasy Robotics. I have a PM on her way to turning into my little Alice and a room on its way to becoming Wonderland Forest, with my character being one truly bad ass CAST.

Currently I am playing offline episode two just to finish it so I can go insane online again.

Chapter Four: The aching Sega brings to me...

This chapter actually hurts me to write but I have to get it off my chest.

Sega and Sonic Team have always made me smile and they make me proud to no ends that I buy their PS series of games, I have yet to play a PS title that I just hated. That being said, PSU was so completely epic but then so completely crippled by what it should have been, could have been, and has no reason not to be.

Let me explain and anyone reading this already has an assumption of where this is going to go. PSO was this huge online dungeon crawling Co-operative online RPG that was fun and involving, not just because of the things programmed in the game, but because of the communities size and fact it let you play with people all around the world with that amazing translator provided in the coding.

Anyone who played PSO had foreign buddies and learned a little bit of a language they didn't already know. But where is that in PSU, where is our friendship that breaks the language barrier?

Also the cross console play. Seriously this was just a mistake, there is no conceivable reason that 360 players shouldn't be able to play with PS2 and PC players, where is the GCN/Wii version of PSU? We need a larger community, the US servers are just, not measuring up to what they could be.

Chapter Five: Fix it, please?

Look at all that nonsense I was crying about. To may this game perfect we need merged servers (which answers all my problems both for foreign servers and cross console servers). A fix isn't that hard, I think we all wouldn't mind even if the servers had to go down for a couple days to get this done we all know it would be worth it.

At the very least add a way to be able to transfer characters between the 360 servers and the PC/PS2 ones, even if it costs and unreasonable amount it would make things so much nicer.

Chapter Six: The Curtain falls.

Well, my little rant is done. I couldn't have done it if I didn't love Phantasy Star like a do. Phantasy Star is a super attractive sexy woman that wants you and lets you play with her, you love it and you can't get enough but you realize shortly into the relationship she has a fetish for necrophilia or something, you are shocked and disguisted, but damn she's pretty and you can't stop, cause it's free, and though you may have to take cold showers for the rest of your life, you wouldn't have it any other way.

Sega and Sonic Team I love you guys, I love all you people here at PSO-World.com and I apologize for anyone who thinks ill of a lunatic obsessive fan.

RemiusTA
Dec 11, 2007, 08:23 AM
I'm not saying its the greatest game ever made or anything like, but it is fun. And now that they've tweaked the combat engine and added tons of content to it, its so worth playing. Trust me: I was VERY down on this game a year ago, so for me to turn around ~ a year later ~ and give it high marks should count for something. Hopefully we can get more of the old PSO'ers to come back and join us!

Thats how almost all of us were.

This game is STILL young, but i cant believe Sega of America is doing such a piss-fucking-poor job of advertising this game. I haven't seen a single ad for it.

The reason 360 is doing good is because it can advertise itself thanks to Xbox live.

big wall of text above

tl;dr

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2007-12-11 05:25 ]</font>

AlphaDragoon
Dec 11, 2007, 11:40 AM

And have to restart my characters and get everything I have all over again because you have to play on MS's Live server?

Uh, no thanks.

EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot. Can't play simultaneously with my brother either, unless I waste money to buy a second 360 for this purpose alone. Yeah...no.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AlphaDragoon on 2007-12-11 08:42 ]</font>

doubleEXP
Dec 11, 2007, 11:42 AM
The more people we get back on pc/ps2 the better!

I'm seeing more and more people coming back each day; topics here and on the official board and even over on gamefaqs. I think the word IS getting out that AotI is awesome. We just have to keep telling our friends and other people on the internet so they'll give it a chance.

Saphion
Dec 11, 2007, 02:17 PM
On 2007-12-11 08:42, doubleEXP wrote:
The more people we get back on pc/ps2 the better!

I'm seeing more and more people coming back each day; topics here and on the official board and even over on gamefaqs. I think the word IS getting out that AotI is awesome. We just have to keep telling our friends and other people on the internet so they'll give it a chance.

Well, you convinced me and I despised the original PSU.

doubleEXP
Dec 11, 2007, 02:49 PM
On 2007-12-11 11:17, Saphion wrote:

Well, you convinced me and I despised the original PSU.

Cool ~ I hope you have fun in AotI. If you see me around say hi, or leave a message in my room or something. I'm always up for making new buds in PSU.

Welcome back.

Saphion
Dec 11, 2007, 02:54 PM
I'm still waiting for the UK release, but as soon as it's out -- I'm there.

Thanks for persuading me!

doubleEXP
Dec 11, 2007, 02:57 PM
No prob! Maybe what I'll do is save FO for when it comes out in UK - then we can group up and I'll switch to FO 1 and level that up. I mostly plan to be a Fortefighter, but I'd also like to work on Wartecher sometime too, so at some point I'll have to level up FO. I can be your healbot, haha.

When does it come in UK btw?

Saphion
Dec 11, 2007, 03:02 PM
Amazon says 31st of January(!?!?!!?)

WHAT DEVILRY IS THIS?!

ApharmdB
Dec 11, 2007, 03:28 PM
Hey DoubleEXP, let's meet up some time. I was a former PSU player that quit six months ago as well. The grinding and required co-op was just utterly stupid, like Warcraft raiding except it's throughout all of the game instead of the endgame.

Ironically, now I just left Warcraft because it's impossible to progress without raiding or an equally restrictive and foolish mechanic in PVP (lol arena).

We should hang out some time, my man. Open a shop or something so I can find you on Platinum.

doubleEXP
Dec 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
Saphion: Sorry you have to wait so long. No worries, I'll still be playing then and I'll still have tons of types at level 1, so we'll be able to group up no prob when you get online, haha.

ApharmdB: I'll do that. I already have opened a shop, but I just haven't had anything to sell yet. I'll change the comment to "Platinum" so you can find it. I think right now it just says "Coming Soon"... which isn't very helpful, haha.

I couldn't agree more about WoW. It was a lot of fun at first, but it seems like they are running out of ideas. Because the actual moment-to-moment 'action' in WoW isn't all that fun, its all about the 'treadmill' psychology (raid or pvp for 'welfare' epics, lol). That's what ended up bring me back to PSU and why I'm so stoked that AotI is so good. One thing PSO ~ and now PSU ~ have is that each moment is fun because each moment is in real-time, not some scripted pseduo-real-time which is the usual in mmorpg's, including WoW. In PSU it matters where we're standing ~ each moment ~ and we can actually dodge... by actually moving (dodging) out of the way. In WoW and the other mmorpg's its all scripted and purely stat-driven. Once the veneer wore off and I saw it for what it was I was like... I NEED my photon blades and real-time rpg combat! Hahaha.

Anyway, I'll update my store description so people can find me. What's your name in game?

Itchee
Dec 11, 2007, 04:16 PM
I left back in April and for some reason got the urge to play again the other night. Thankfully, my character was there waiting for me....and oddly enough, I didnt need to buy a new HL, despite calling support and cancelling it back in April.
At any rate, im glad to hear such good things about the expansion and I hope to see you guys in game once again!
^_^

Chaosgyro
Dec 11, 2007, 04:20 PM
and oddly enough, I didnt need to buy a new HL, despite calling support and cancelling it back in April.

Like a lot of people, you probably didn't actually get it cancelled. Check your bank statements for the last few months and you probably have a $10 charge showing up repeatedly...damn microsoft.. *runs off to make sure his 360 license really is cancelled*

Itchee
Dec 11, 2007, 04:27 PM
On 2007-12-11 13:20, Chaosgyro wrote:

and oddly enough, I didnt need to buy a new HL, despite calling support and cancelling it back in April.

Like a lot of people, you probably didn't actually get it cancelled. Check your bank statements for the last few months and you probably have a $10 charge showing up repeatedly...damn microsoft.. *runs off to make sure his 360 license really is cancelled*

Ahh.....Indeed you are correct. It is just $10, tho...I really couldnt care less. Haha.

Elley
Dec 11, 2007, 05:21 PM
The game is much better, but it still comes down to usually one mission that gives the best rewards for the time being. Then the mission is spammed over and over again.

Though, a lot of my past gripes with this game have been calmed by finally finding a good group of people to play with. I used to rely almost entirely on public groups, and it became such a chore.

Fecesbot
Dec 12, 2007, 11:14 PM
On 2007-12-10 06:28, doubleEXP wrote:
I'm one of those people who originally got this game at launch and then got impatient with the slow rate of updates and some of the other issues this game had at launch. So, after about a month or so, I left for WoW. I pretty much wrote off PSU at that point.

However, I've been a fan of the Phantasy Star games since the Genesis days and I absolutely loved PSO, so I kept tabs on this board. When I heard AotI was coming out, I waited to see how it was received.

When I heard good things from the players I decided to give it another go.

I have to say: I am very, very impressed.

Now, finally, from the get-go, there's lots of things to do, places to visit, reasons to play. It seems like cash is dropping in much more sane amounts now, making it feel less 'grindy' when I play.

So, I'm mostly posting this in case there's other players like me out there, players that tried PSU a year ago and might not have gotten into it (or who stayed away because of the bad reviews). Ambition of the Illuminus is an AWESOME expansion. It feels like PSU is what it should have been a year ago. If you loved PSO and/or you're tired of the WoW-scene and really want to play a more action-oriented online rpg: play this game.

same thing happend to me.
I played PSU till like March then went back to PSO.
As soon as i saw my friend playing the 1up cup though i just went "O SHI- i need to get back on NOW"
And thats the story of how i got back onto PSU.