PDA

View Full Version : New player here.. But is it me or is it laggy?

Ragaroah
Dec 11, 2007, 06:11 PM
Hey all, I just started out on PSU Online... However... I'm quite dissapointed... Mostly due to the lag that is around.. I don't know if it's just me, but it takes like 2-3 seconds before my dmg registers, which makes it extremely hard to dodge hits too...

Anyway I'm from the Netherlands, connection isn't bad or anything, never had such a bad latency with any MMO... Is it me or do more have the problem?

Also, when will AotI arrive in stores here? Seems like the normal PSU servers are pretty quiet... And I do have to agree on what I was told by someone on the onrpg forums... You either need to play with RL friends or be good at making friends in this community... Isn't as open as most MMO communities that I've seen... But that's just my 2 cents...

Hope I can get some help here, quite dissapointed so far, while offline rocked...

beatrixkiddo
Dec 11, 2007, 06:15 PM
The servers are in the US, despite this being US+EU PSU, so some latency is to be expected. Also, if you're on the PC version, you can simply import the US copy of AotI, there's no region locking. If, however, you're on PS2, you'll need to do some things I probably shouldn't talk about here to bypass DNAS, the PS2's system for online gaming integrity. And if you're on 360, you can just download it from the Marketplace.

Rasputin
Dec 11, 2007, 06:16 PM
You can import AotI, if you don't feel like waiting till January 9th. The regular PSU community is pretty low.

I'm gonna assume you're on PC. You might want to try changing your settings around. Frame Skip set to 3 helps a lot.

Ragaroah
Dec 11, 2007, 06:17 PM
Yeah I'm on the PC version... And well, I'm doubting importing an US copy, because of the lag.. I'm not too fond of playing like this... I was looking forward to playing online alot...

EDIT: Well.. It's not FPS lag, it's network lag :S

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ragaroah on 2007-12-11 15:23 ]</font>

Noblewine
Dec 11, 2007, 06:27 PM
Yeah the lag seems to still be a problem. Spamming Sacred Stream with a full party will cause way too much lag. ><

Ragaroah
Dec 11, 2007, 06:33 PM
Is it any better on the AotI servers? Has it always been like this, or will it be solved? I mean, it's just unplayable in my eyes... I managed to die because of the lag as a lvl 5 on one of the early missions... I can't even imagine mobs starting to hit more, since I just can't avoid it with this lag... I see the mob swing, I move away, and still get hit...

Miren
Dec 11, 2007, 06:40 PM
Sometimes is not the connection issue, my laptop got no lag at all but my quad core desktop lags when i am not in town. It may be the graphic issue, try setting ur frame skip to 2 (or play around with it). This helps for my desktop.

ViciousXUSMC
Dec 11, 2007, 07:00 PM
Just the opposite for me, the game runs PERFECT on my desktop wich is slowly falling behind the times with a single core opteron 148 and a geforce 7800gtx vs my desktop wich is nearly 2x as powerfull with a core 2 duo and a 8600gt.

All games and benchmarks run faster/better on my laptop, but I get SEVERE slowdown in PSU on my laptop, its unplayable with how slow it gets, seems to be tied to mostly outdoor areas, its probably a driver issue or something.

RemiusTA
Dec 11, 2007, 07:03 PM
On 2007-12-11 15:11, Ragaroah wrote:
H I don't know if it's just me, but it takes like 2-3 seconds before my dmg registers....

Anyway I'm from the Netherlands...

There you go.

Unfortunally, the servers are a bit far from you to have such a good connection. Players from the US also have similar problems trying to connect to the Japanese servers.

Ragaroah
Dec 12, 2007, 02:26 AM
Hmm should I give up on PSU then? :S

SolRiver
Dec 12, 2007, 02:34 AM
Try port forwarding.

http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewtopic.php?p=531779#531779

Oh, one more thing... are you on XP or vista?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolRiver on 2007-12-11 23:34 ]</font>

Ragaroah
Dec 12, 2007, 02:46 AM
I'm on XP, kind of anti-Vista at the moment http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AnamanaAU
Dec 12, 2007, 02:52 AM
Vista is fine, people just need to get over the fact that the times change, much like a band changing it's style. Drivers get updated and there's numerous tutorials out on the differences with Vista's networking and all the other fancy new stuff.

Also, there are players having network lag issues, who have posted in the official board's tech support forums.

@ViciousXUSMC: If you read the thread, he wasn't talking about graphical slowdown.

Ragaroah
Dec 12, 2007, 02:56 AM
Yeah... Hits and such get registered 2-3 seconds later then I make them, this isn't that annoying, but it's the same for the enemy, so it's near impossible to evade hits...

SolRiver
Dec 12, 2007, 03:14 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding

Ragaroah
Dec 12, 2007, 03:21 AM
Going to give that a try now, thanks alot http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Totally new to it though... *crosses fingers*

Nyreal
Dec 12, 2007, 03:44 AM
You may want to reduce the graphics quality, since you're on PC. It worked fine for me... And if your computer is like mine, then your graphics card might not be able to handle the game. So lowering the framerate and such can greatly help.

Ragaroah
Dec 12, 2007, 03:45 AM
Well it's not graphical... The hits get registered way too late

F-Gattaca
Dec 12, 2007, 10:51 AM
Vista is fine, people just need to get over the fact that the times change, much like a band changing it's style. Drivers get updated and there's numerous tutorials out on the differences with Vista's networking and all the other fancy new stuff.

Well, Windows is selling Windows XP again. And they're officially supporting XP64 now, too. Turns out a lot of Vista drivers work for XP64, so I think I'd rather update to XP64 than switch to Vista.

Anyway ...

I don't think this was a case of my router being pissy, but it might have been ... just now I experienced a BS knockout and loss of a Scape Doll in Sakura Blast on one of my low-level alts. Suddenly hits stopped registering--for a good minute or two. I knew that meant a lagspike, so I tried to get safe.

Soon after, my character literally dissolved in a cloud of red mist and damage numbers as he instantly fell to the ground.

HandOfThornz
Dec 12, 2007, 12:38 PM
I know what you mean about lag!
Take a read of this thread....

http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewtopic.php?t=59428

PSU has run great for me on PS2 since release but recently since the end of 1up cup/AOI patch, i've started experiencing lag and other probs too.
I'm not the only one either a few people in EU that are still playing on the original PSU version1, (as we dont have AOI till 25/1/08) are having these issue's recently too.

I've had a responce from SEGA support , they say they have had no probs that could cause our probs! but was mentioned it could be a client side issue.
I'm waiting on what they find out.

Please mail SEGA support too, more people bringing up the issue the more SEGA/ST will look into it =)

Best times of day to play PSU ver 1 seem's to be 3am-3pm ish UK times, hardly any lag. but evening wise, gameplay is impossible to play.
I shoot a bullet, i go get coffee, i come back and the bullet still has'nt registered a hit on the enemy, lol

As for sever being in the USA and us in EU. As i said above, i'm from the UK, ever since launch (in the UK) of PSU my gameplay has never had the probs that i'm now getting! If it was a distance thingy, i'd of thought i'd always had bad lag issue, not 10 months into the game or at certain times of the day! hehe, but the distance thing would make sense.

Otherwise i'm hoping when we get AOI released over here, i'm hoping that fixes the lag issue's!

Ragaroah
Dec 12, 2007, 04:37 PM
Will send an e-mail as soon as possible... So for how long has this lag been around for EU players?

Saphion
Dec 12, 2007, 04:51 PM
Wow. That sounds really sucky. I'm planning on returning for AoI, so I hope this gets sorted soon.

Akaimizu
Dec 12, 2007, 04:57 PM
To tell the truth, I have noticed that since AOI, there has been quite a few more times where I see the whole server getting laggy. That is, the server response gets bad all around and forces the game to play at very low speeds. It's definitely not related to hardware, though it might be related if you're counting the hardware on their servers. Hopefully SEGA can tighten up their server response issues.

Ragaroah
Dec 12, 2007, 05:16 PM
Hmm I guess I'll play and endure the lag for now, and go all cheery when it finally gets solved http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Now to check out how friendly the community is http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Xtian913
Dec 12, 2007, 05:30 PM
On 2007-12-12 14:16, Ragaroah wrote:
Hmm I guess I'll play and endure the lag for now, and go all cheery when it finally gets solved http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Now to check out how friendly the community is http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Good luck!!

AnamanaAU
Dec 12, 2007, 05:36 PM
The only lag I'm experiencing is because of my internet download limit & shaping. When we go over our download limit, it runs at 56k speed, so loading "My Room", the Mission map and so on takes up to 3 times as long on the loading screens. I guess PSU send/recv's data during loading screens online. Funny thing is, even at this speed, I don't lag when hitting enemies at all.