PDA

View Full Version : Reason why I don't like action games..

mizukage
Dec 11, 2007, 09:56 PM
I can't believe it.

I actually ended up with painful skin peeling after performing a very difficult task in an action game that requires pushing a button rapidly.

Supposedly, this wouldn't happen if I had auto-fire, but I don't. I believe rpg games are still the best.

Anyone else ever experience skin peeling after playing action games that require pressing certain buttons on the controller? I do know that many gamers ended up with injuries from the swinging Wii controller, but what about the original ps2/360 controller? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

EphekZ
Dec 11, 2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah, uhm. Play guitar or something to strengthen your fingers? I don't know.

ABDUR101
Dec 11, 2007, 10:21 PM
The hell is wrong with you? You must be a 90's kid, because if you grew up playing the NES, you sure as hell would'nt be complaining. The controllers from the SNES/Genesis and up have been, for the most part, very easy on the fingers of gamers everywhere. Or maybe you have a really cheap controller, in which case, suck it up? Or maybe you just have a skin condition that needs checked out?

Really, the NES was awesome in that sense; you either manned up and played through with your blisters and scraped fingers, or you took a break.

Sord
Dec 11, 2007, 10:33 PM
don't remember getting blisters from the NES, hated the rectangle shape though. I've never managed to hurt myself to such a degree on a controller. Maybe a hand cramp from holding the same position for hours on end but that wears off in a few moments. How the heck... I mean... honestly... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Jife_Jifremok
Dec 11, 2007, 10:39 PM
You like role-playing games? Alright then, in RPG fashion, decide for me which of these responses I should say...

1. HAHAHAHAHA! Kids these days, I tell you what! Back in my day, playing games like Gradius and Sky Shark, I had to mash the hell out of the A button (or was it B?) so I could shoot enough bullets to kill the enemy, and that was WHILE dodging lots of shit so I had to bust my OTHER thumb on the D-pad as well! And I kept playing anyway! Games later on became easier to play without hurting oneself, but holding an N64 controller with badly-scraped hand was still fairly difficult, I guess...oh wait, I had to bust my left thumb more than ever back in the PS1 era thanks to games like King's Field and Armored Core coming out before Dual Shock became standard.

2. Dude, you should get that checked...or maybe just stop playing with an original X-Box controller. Those buttons hurt like a motherfucker; my thumbs would hurt just after a minute-long game demo! No other controller has given me any sort of pain like that unless I played *very* extensively.

3. So from your post, am I to think that RPGs are for wimps then?

DizzyDi
Dec 11, 2007, 11:31 PM
Remember those old track&field games on the NES? Boy those were hell on the fingers, AND WE ENJOYED THEM.

TetsuyaHikari
Dec 11, 2007, 11:34 PM
I bet he's one of those casual gamers. How the hell do you CASUALLY play video games, then have some problems with your fingers being hurt? Ya pansy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif!

Back in MY day..I sat down with a PS2 controller and did one of the 24 hour endurance races in Gran Turismo 4 with my BARE hands!

Anyway, lol..putting that aside. Seriously, I've never had any problems with it. Some people develop calluses and toughen their skin because they've been playing video games for years and years.

I've been playing them since '89 myself, so I guess that's why I don't have any problems like that.

Well, good luck with whatever you do. Just don't start wearing a glove like OJ or Michael Jackson http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Broodstar1337
Dec 11, 2007, 11:49 PM
I remember getting hand blisters playing the original Mario Party. I had my fingers all fine tuned for video games, but those minigames that required you to spin the thumbstick really fast... the palms of your hand don't last against an N64 thumbstick like fingers do.

Play more games. You develop badass gaming fingers once you play hard enough.

joluh
Dec 13, 2007, 11:28 AM
All games categories are pretty good, I have at least a favorite of each, but I think the one I dislike the most are the 1st person shooters, and even like that I have played 3 like that in the past and loved them.

Action games are made of win, try 'em some more boy.

amtalx
Dec 13, 2007, 11:41 AM
Umm...you need callouses. Play harder. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Noblewine
Dec 13, 2007, 06:01 PM
Yep I got nintendoidous (Sore thumbs) from playing Mario Party 1 mini games and SSB on the N64.

Weeaboolits
Dec 13, 2007, 06:17 PM
I've only ever had my finger hurt a little from holding the trigger button too much and such, but really, that's my own fault for not changing the option to click rather than hold. ;o

Sinue_v2
Dec 13, 2007, 06:19 PM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k219/jpopstar/Games%20related/Segata-1.jpg

Segata Sanshiro disapproves of the OP.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-12-13 15:20 ]</font>

Xaeris
Dec 13, 2007, 06:28 PM
Remember back in the days of the NES, when the controllers were square, so the ends would dig into your palms after playing long enough? Yeah...these hands are like steel thanks to that thing.

joluh
Dec 13, 2007, 08:00 PM
On 2007-12-13 15:01, Noblewine wrote:
Yep I got nintendoidous (Sore thumbs) from playing Mario Party 1 mini games and SSB on the N64.

I broke a Nintendo 64 controller thanks to Mario Party 1, or I think I broke two...

MetaZedlen
Dec 13, 2007, 09:20 PM
Yea, I don't think he knows what pain is compared to some of the games that I have played over the years, and BTW, try pressing a single button as fast as you can to save your ass.

It made me discover that that can cause entire arm pain, but I got over it knowing that I can press a button over 100 times a minute...

Blitzkommando
Dec 13, 2007, 11:24 PM
Because in RPGs there's never any missions where you try to press the buttons as fast as possible...

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 13, 2007, 11:39 PM
PS2/3 and Xbox360 controllers are almost fail proof.
Really eggy and chunky to prevent this sort of thing.

I actually wish the D-pads were less bulbous. Not Dreamcast/NES like, but the XBOX S got it right.

There's also a market for all those third party pads and add on silcone skins or grips and even stuff nobody should need like fans built into the controller. Look into those if necessary, or go with the rubbing the spoons over the button for trying to press things rapidly & repeatedly.

Darkly
Dec 14, 2007, 06:59 AM
i am in the thinking you have a skin condition.

KodiaX987
Dec 14, 2007, 07:52 AM
On 2007-12-13 20:24, Norvekh wrote:
Because in RPGs there's never any missions where you try to press the buttons as fast as possible...

FFX-II, Trigger Happy skill.

Gogogogogogogogogogo! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

BlaizeYES
Dec 14, 2007, 07:58 AM
On 2007-12-13 17:00, joluh wrote:

I broke a Nintendo 64 controller thanks to Mario Party 1, or I think I broke two...

mario parties always leave you with something broken. a few of my friends somehow managed to break the joystick on all of the n64 controllers for that reason, and jam an A button or 2. but for a genuine mario party, it is but a small price to pay

XCOPY
Dec 14, 2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks for adding a little bit of evidence to the notion that traditional rpg games may in fact be the more "lazy" gaming experience....big payoffs from as little player input as possible. That stuff barely counts as "gameplay", imo. This was just a cheap shot at RPGs that I couldn't resist. The real problem in the equation is you, most likely. I've never heard this complaint except from stupid games like the old Track and Field from the 80s(*a game that nobody should seriously play since it cheats its ass off, btw), and even that wasn't a problem for me.

However....Mouse/keyboard controls....that is a problem for me. That garbage has never been comfortable for me, and just overall feels like a stupidly awkward way to play anything.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XCOPY on 2007-12-14 05:08 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Dec 14, 2007, 10:40 AM
I can't remember when was the last time I had blisters and skin peeling off (maybe when before DDR became popular in the US, but that was long long time ago). When I played the NES, I was small so I had small hands.

Midicronica
Dec 19, 2007, 02:54 PM
On 2007-12-11 20:34, Kikumaru wrote:
I bet he's one of those casual gamers. How the hell do you CASUALLY play video games, then have some problems with your fingers being hurt? Ya pansy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif!

Back in MY day..I sat down with a PS2 controller and did one of the 24 hour endurance races in Gran Turismo 4 with my BARE hands!

Anyway, lol..putting that aside. Seriously, I've never had any problems with it. Some people develop calluses and toughen their skin because they've been playing video games for years and years.

I've been playing them since '89 myself, so I guess that's why I don't have any problems like that.

Well, good luck with whatever you do. Just don't start wearing a glove like OJ or Michael Jackson http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

joluh
Dec 19, 2007, 03:55 PM
On 2007-12-14 04:58, BlaizeYES wrote:

On 2007-12-13 17:00, joluh wrote:

mario parties always leave you with something broken. a few of my friends somehow managed to break the joystick on all of the n64 controllers for that reason, and jam an A button or 2. but for a genuine mario party, it is but a small price to pay

Yeah, this happend only to the original Mario Party, then I played the other two and were made of shit, except the one where your character dressed up for the stage, just because that was sort of fun, but other than that, meh.

Oh, bumper balls <3

Kent
Dec 19, 2007, 07:28 PM
Out of curiosity...

...How does one get skin to start peeling, from pushing a single button rapidly? :/

darkante
Dec 20, 2007, 03:47 AM
Uhh the horror of playing Track and Field 2 on the NES!
My poor thumb...ahh awful memories. XD