PDA

View Full Version : PSU/Episode 3(On the game disc?)

Saligun
Dec 15, 2007, 11:28 AM
Since the online game gets most of the nesseary data from the disc it self,does this mean EP3 is already on the game disc?It would be great if only there was some way to unlock it like completing ep2 or something,it would save sega the trouble of needing to make a third game disc,i know this info for online use but i'm reffering to being able to play it offline after all almost all the new content can be seen by just completing offline story mode,while online players have to wait to see it.

NOTE/I'm NOT asking how to do this i'm just about if it's already there.

Saligun
Dec 15, 2007, 11:52 AM
It has to be finished because the ending FMV has already been leaked by someone on you tube,anyway how could you get the ep3 data to play if its not on the disc,the PS2 memory cards only 8 MB and could never hold all the EP3 data on it at one time and it would have to to replay the whole thing at any time.

Chibi_psu
Dec 15, 2007, 12:37 PM
Everything is on the disc.Sega just unlock it

Yusaku_Kudou
Dec 15, 2007, 12:50 PM
The missions themselves I doubt are on the disc. All of the data is there, but the servers ultimately have control over code. They could make any number of missions they want with anything they see fit. The same could actually be said about files, too. Remember the 1UP Cup? Those club images weren't on the disc already, were they? Not too hard to access a file stored on a server.

Chaosgyro
Dec 15, 2007, 01:53 PM
Actually, the insde of the club probably was on the disc. The same is true with Episode 3 and all the other missions/weapons/blah blah that will be unlocked eventually.

The servers can hold code to unlock certain things, but when it comes down to rendering and operating with them, that all has to be done on-site. Even if the disc just contained a whole shitload of textures and models, it would need the code there to tell it how to put it together which is something the server can't do for everyone.

As for why you can play without a disc Thanubis, that's because all the data has been installed to your PC already. It's on your hard drive. If you're on ps2 or 360 and don't need the disc...then I call shenanigans. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Broodstar1337
Dec 15, 2007, 02:00 PM
On 2007-12-15 09:50, Yusaku_Kudou wrote:
The missions themselves I doubt are on the disc. All of the data is there, but the servers ultimately have control over code. They could make any number of missions they want with anything they see fit. The same could actually be said about files, too. Remember the 1UP Cup? Those club images weren't on the disc already, were they? Not too hard to access a file stored on a server.

The story missions are actually on the disc. You can tell because there's only one map pattern for each story mission and only one set of enemy spawns.

Golto
Dec 15, 2007, 02:48 PM
It should be clear that all the non story missions online are on the server. How else could they change things in missions without having to download anything?

zandra117
Dec 15, 2007, 06:02 PM
the required data for the missions are on the disk but the server has to put the data together. The data on the disk is like a disassembled puzzle that is put together on the server. All the voices and prerendered cutscenes are on the disk aswell. The data on the disk can be put together in many different ways.

Basically all the areas are editable sort of like the dungeon editor in neverwinter nights but only Sega has the editor.

If the story missions were on the disk we would have seen hackers playing episode 2 offline in vanilla PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2007-12-15 15:04 ]</font>

Addark
Dec 15, 2007, 06:03 PM
I personally think it's genius. :] I'm sure there are better methods but once I realized how they pieced this game together I was blown away. Very good job with it, Sega. <3

omegapirate2k
Dec 15, 2007, 06:04 PM
On 2007-12-15 09:47, Thanubis wrote:
What about those that don't have a disc?

Then you should have already installed the game and don't need it.

AnamanaAU
Dec 15, 2007, 06:07 PM
If EP3 was available, what would they unlock, besides rehashed difficulties? Also, they need an excuse to put a story mode in the next expansion.

Iceman2667
Dec 15, 2007, 11:16 PM
ep3 is split into 2 parts, a key and a lock,
sega holds all the missions and releases then from time to time and
the AOL disk unlocks them

Yusaku_Kudou
Dec 16, 2007, 12:22 AM
Let's put it this way. PSO disc (or HDD for PC/360) has the following data:
-Textures
-Music
-Sound
-Geometry
-FMVs

But it doesn't have the missions themselves, per se. It's all put together by the mission files located on the servers, just like every other mission.