PDA

View Full Version : PSU: Most Newman Females are Female????

P1nkSt4r
Dec 17, 2007, 06:37 AM
I am one myself and i believe nearly all the female newmans r actually female... i mean y would a guy want to play a girl character??? if u r a female plaing a female newman select female, if u r a male playing a female newman select male..... its quite simple, would love to hear wat other people think about this topic....Really interested about how the poll turns out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

little bit curious,

http://usera.imagecave.com/chickey/images3.jpg

much love,

Keiko_Seisha
Dec 17, 2007, 06:39 AM
Many things would make a male play a female character.. Looks, clothing, the minor stat differences between genders, etc. I'm a female gamer and I do have a Male human character alt, though I rarely play as him.

darkante
Dec 17, 2007, 06:42 AM
I have male Newman and is a male myself but i fail to see the point of this topic. :S

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkante on 2007-12-17 03:43 ]</font>

Neith
Dec 17, 2007, 06:48 AM
Another one of these topics?

People will always play whatever they want. It's nothing radical playing the opposite gender in a game. There's plenty of valid reasons why somone would play the opposite sex. Some do it for the obvious reason that theyd rather stare at an attractive character, some do it for stats (stats between sexes being different in PSU).

I'm a male gamer, but my entire account is female characters. My reasoning is that I can't create a male character I like enough to keep- I don't like their clothing, or the build of them. Also, my main characters in PSO were all female, so it's just continuing a trend for me.

Syl
Dec 17, 2007, 06:52 AM
On 2007-12-17 03:37, P1nkSt4r wrote:
I am one myself and i believe nearly all the female newmans r actually female... i mean y would a guy want to play a girl character???

lol...

If only you knew the sad truth http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif (most are guys *cough*)

darkante
Dec 17, 2007, 06:52 AM
Yeah, itīs not really anything wrong to with oneself if you are playing as the other gender.
Only if you make a big deal outta itself, then you might be the one who is little unsecure with yourself. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkante on 2007-12-17 03:54 ]</font>

Guildenstern
Dec 17, 2007, 07:01 AM
Most Newman Females are Female????

...Yeah, I'd say in general most Newman Females are females. o__o;;;

...Oh wait, you mean, women in real life?

I'm going to play it safe and assume it's just me and Keiko up there who are actually girls. Most female characters on any MMORPG are men. Rule of thumb-- it's a man. No exceptions.

drizzle
Dec 17, 2007, 07:07 AM
You'll learn when you grow a little older http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

HFlowen
Dec 17, 2007, 07:11 AM
The topic title made me do a double take...

DesertGunner
Dec 17, 2007, 07:13 AM
Guys who play as girls not for their stats were usually molested as children. I don't think a girl would come up to me and offer golden showers. >_>

Starrz
Dec 17, 2007, 07:17 AM
Silly people, all female characters in-game are males IRL

As there are no women on the internet.

Syl
Dec 17, 2007, 07:22 AM
On 2007-12-17 04:13, DesertGunner wrote:
Guys who play as girls not for their stats were usually molested as children. I don't think a girl would come up to me and offer golden showers. >_>

Both don't apply to me, where's my trophy?

People who think like this are often worse than said in your post. Get out of the 1800's. Srsly.

Soulless
Dec 17, 2007, 07:22 AM
I used to play HUnewearl in PSO, simply because I liked the stats/skills best - not because I played with dolls instead of action figures as I was young http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
I actually refuse to admit that any person I meet in online games is female so I definately dont think most female newmans are female irl http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Kula
Dec 17, 2007, 08:17 AM
This only concerns female "newmans" right lol? how come no one cares bout female humans =/ , bleh wasted efforts~

Maridia
Dec 17, 2007, 08:21 AM
I hate to say it, but you are very very naive. Not to be mean, it's just true.

Well over half the female characters are played by males. In any game. Ever. I myself wish more men played males but it really is preference. Being a girl, I only have female characters, but I kind of feel that they're an extension of me, so I make them what I am.

Most guys I talk to say "Well if you're gonna grind for hours on end, I'd rather look at something hot". *rolls eyes* http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Rashiid
Dec 17, 2007, 08:29 AM
On 2007-12-17 04:17, Starrz wrote:
Silly people, all female characters in-game are males IRL

As there are no women on the internet.

This man knows his stuffz!!!

Dragon_Knight
Dec 17, 2007, 08:41 AM
Meh I'm a guy...always have been, always will be.

In any game where I can make the avatar but can't play it through the characters eyes...I will always make a female char.

That being said I DO have Dragon Knight as one of my alts in PSU....but I so seldom play him in favor of Sara. The sad part is...I tell people I'm a guy in the game if they start hitting on me, but a couple of them think I'm lying because I "act too girly" or because I "don't play a loli newman"

*sigh* I'm just going to cry over here now. ;_; *rocks back and forth in a ball*

Weeaboolits
Dec 17, 2007, 08:47 AM
Ha;f my characters are female newmans, but I'm a guy, straight up. ;o

Aviva
Dec 17, 2007, 08:57 AM
i am an ACTUAL female gamer....and anyone who plays this game and goes into a group only to hear the amazement when they find out you ARE ACTUALLY a female should know that the men playing female characters is the norm...sorry dear

KyEmo
Dec 17, 2007, 09:16 AM
I have my emo male human, my emo female Newman, my female cast who's emo because she can't cut herself, and my emo female beast.

I got asked several times If I was single ( //_-)

doubleEXP
Dec 17, 2007, 09:24 AM
My very first online character (back in 2001, for PSO) was a male newman (FOnewm). But, I ended up not really liking FO's all that much.

I decided I wanted to be an newman hunter, and there were no male newman hunters in PSO, so I made a HUnewearl, named ~ can you guess? ~ that's right: Platinum. I ended up loving HUnewearl. Such a fun class. I remade Platinum for the Gamecube version of PSO, too. Now we are playing PSU. There is no HUnewearl anymore, but you can be newman fighters. Well, by now I also like playing the character Platinum, so I remade Plat for PSU, as a female newman fortefighter.

Something about a newearl with a huge azz photon sword kicking butt that just makes me grin. XD

I've never understood the big deal about guys with girl characters (or even girls with guy characters). To me a character is just a character on the screen, it's not me. And since its not me, why would it matter if the character on the screen was male or female? Usually the only people who get bent out of shape over that are very immature and not really worth worrying about anyway, haha.

Hey Ronin_Cooper: I tried to say hi to you in-game on Saturday (and I sent you my card) but you never noticed me. =/

PALRAPPYS
Dec 17, 2007, 09:37 AM
I started out playing as guy characters in PSO... but then I thought, "I want to use spells to their fullest." That's when I decided to make a FOneweral.

And in PSU, I decided to make a Female Newman to resemble that. Not really for looks, actually... but because I wanted stats in PSO, and wanted that back... lol, it just seems different from most people.

Plus, I guess my character looks like a character that would be made by a girl or something, because quite a bit of the time when I'm playing with randoms, they act much nicer to me than when I'm on my male newman. x.x

amtalx
Dec 17, 2007, 09:44 AM
I'm a guy and my alt is a girl. Mostly because I wanted the extra casing power and EVP. That, and male Newmans have no smexy power. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sasuke1986
Dec 17, 2007, 09:52 AM
I'm a male in real life, so all my characters are males because I don't want to be mistaken for a female.

Even if one says most female characters are males in real life, that won't stop some people from thinking otherwise, yo.

Broodstar1337
Dec 17, 2007, 09:54 AM
I made a female newman alt so that one day I might be able to have sex with it. No lie.

Chaobo99
Dec 17, 2007, 10:08 AM
I noticed that most of the female techers(character wise) are actually guys(in real life) and that the female hunters are usually girls...

Shiro_Ryuu
Dec 17, 2007, 10:27 AM
I'm a dude, and I also have a female newman alt. Just didn't want to have a sausage fest, so I wanted at least one female character, and I like elf chicks, so I made my female character a newman.

Telina
Dec 17, 2007, 10:35 AM
I don't understand why anyone really cares what other people choose for their characters. If you were ment to not change your characters gender, SEGA and other RPG developers would have a system similar to Ragnarok online. When you create an account they ask for your gender and from then on all characters on that account are of that gender.

For this topic and every other topic of the like, i really wish i could find my facepalm pics, but i can't right now, so i'll end with a simple :
*Facepalm*

Akaimizu
Dec 17, 2007, 10:38 AM
Too much atmosphere would be lost if everybody played just to their own gender. Believe me, it would make more waves than any issues that possibly cause polls like this to exist. Seeing a severe loss in variety is more of a loss than anything else.

Even to people who are mature enough to realize that an avatar is just an avatar. They either aid in the atmosphere of the place, tell a story, or both. Especially when the only true in-game interaction is based on a Dungeon Crawl. We obtain new items and clothes, kill monsters, level up, and not much else there.

However, people just need to see variety, more than anything else. It's because it keys off a very deep aspect of human thought. (At least to the ones born on earth, which as far as I know, is everybody). Tynselle's backstory, in this site, would read quite different to all male and female readers, on this site, if it was a male starring the role and with a story as close as possible to the original. No more than people would perceive J.K. Rowlings Harry Potter differently if she starred a female in that context, with as much of the original story untouched.

It's that difference atmosphere keys on, particularly if a proper mix was missing. Now a lot of people just want to get online and kill stuff, for which this would mean even less. But they'd notice immediately, if the server they went on was all male. It creates an atmosphere that nobody should play anything else. Even female gamers might not feel like they could join and play a female avatar. I'm not sure if that's the atmosphere people really want, do they?

A certain game or two, might get lucky in which they have the right spread of population of both, but it's just too country-specific. A lot of games would be severely one-sided.

If anybody really cares what somebody else plays, in a dungeon hacker, they really need to check their heads.

I mean, I play a character that is so totally in love with Twin Handguns. Does anybody even think, for a second, that I actually am that way in real life? Particular for a person, who hopes, I am never put in a situation where I have to carry a fully-loaded real gun.

Nope, people simply see and enjoy the character's act, but even assume that I'm somebody different.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-12-17 07:49 ]</font>

Angelo
Dec 17, 2007, 11:10 AM
Newman girls <3

Finae
Dec 17, 2007, 11:43 AM
Some of you guys forget that we are living in the year 1995, where women were non-existant in video games haha. People today still think that the intranetz is 99% male when in reality, thats totally incorrect. Everything is becoming computerized and a lot more people both male/female are using computers/playing video games. But hey, keep thinking that everything is 99% male.

I don't see how gender is going to effect gameplay/chat if you know if a person is male/female. For the guys, what?, you gonna try to be nice/sweet talk because you have a chance at getting laid rofl? Jeesus chirst, just talk the way you usually do as I usually treat everyone the same (I don't sweet talk and I sure as won't be nice 100% of the time, a nub is a nub). Oh wait, are you going to give them stuff because they are female haha? Sweet talk/being nice will work irl if you're good, go do it that way instead of trying to get some virtual ass (whom could actually be a very very not hot female haha). Oh wait, I'm sorry, too scared to go to a girl and talk them irl lol.

Males who say they are females irl lol? I don't give a f'. The next morning, I'ma say who is this guy and forget you ever said that yesterday. Gonna treat ya the same as usual.

Well, someone listed the reasons why to play a female newman. Obviously for me, it was
- Stats (Uh, best tp,evp, mst)
- Looks (Uh, sure, I really want all 4 character slots to be male and females get l33t clothes in aoi)

But here is the thing with me. GF and I play on the same account so that means when one of us is on our newman, it means we're both male and female?! Can that be possible? LOL. Typically, my gf would usually play male characters in games since you idiot guys out there think that all male characters are guys, but since she likes playing a mage and newman F is the best at it, she has to play on that and get hit on by all you pathetic nubs ;P. But hey, when she plays on my smexy beast, 99% of nubs think she is a guy and thats cool as I won't get any more "stalkers" added to my card list (I laugh at all the guy's pathetic lines to my gf, we are always together irl ya know lol).

KyEmo
Dec 17, 2007, 11:56 AM
On 2007-12-17 07:08, Chaobo99 wrote:
I noticed that most of the female techers(character wise) are actually guys(in real life) and that the female hunters are usually girls...

YES!

I've known several females from real life that play/played psu and only played as female melee-ers.. Don't believe the FOnes o.o

physic
Dec 17, 2007, 12:06 PM
as much as people love to say we ve come far, and girls play videogames too, you are probably right that rate has increased, still the vast majority of people you gonna meet are going to be dudes, its not even gonna be close. look at the poll, 21 to 8, and thats just the amount who play female chrs.

As far as treating girls differently ehhh well sorry thats natural, even if your not gonna get laid, most people relate opposite sex differently than their own, which makes sense seeing as how they are different.

Annnnd basically at the end of the day im going to assume almost everyone i play with is a dude unless they reveal otherwise, and if they dont, then they prolly dont care if i think they are a dude.

Telina
Dec 17, 2007, 12:14 PM
i know of two ladies who play as female newmans but i know many more guys than girls on the game in general http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

i agree with physic. i consider all players guys unless i'm told or provided evidence to the contrary. Doesn't affect my gameplay more so than my choice of pronouns

Rashiid
Dec 17, 2007, 12:23 PM
I loved Final Fantasy X-2, so I must be gay. Is that what you are trying to say OP?
All my characters are female.
I find it more amusing kicking ass as a female character.

Yusaku_Kudou
Dec 17, 2007, 12:43 PM
This thread screams "Attention!!!"

CherryLunar
Dec 17, 2007, 12:44 PM
On 2007-12-17 09:43, Yusaku_Kudou wrote:
This thread screams "Attention!!!"

I agree

Akaimizu
Dec 17, 2007, 12:50 PM
I don't understand. For me, the thread holds no meaning other than way too many threads like this, appear. If this was an isolated thread, there hardly need be a response.

Addark
Dec 17, 2007, 12:51 PM
I'm a girl and I play as a male human simply for aesthetics. I don't like how girls are represented in games at all. >.>

Akaimizu
Dec 17, 2007, 12:59 PM
I think a lot of guys say the same thing about male characters in games. Particularly the online-playable RPG communities. The idea is that a lot of them are either represented to be either ugly or almost look like a woman, but barely anything inbetween; and is just as shallow a person, on the screen. It's a case where you have a medium that technically could offend everybody; but half the people choose not to take offense to it, because it's just accepted as fiction, not an example with how to live our lives. This is also reflected in film.

Kylie
Dec 17, 2007, 01:17 PM
I won't vote because I rarely use my female newman, but rofl @ the results. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif I could have told you that! Just about every guy I know on the game has a female newman alt, or even a main. It doesn't bother me much as long as they don't pretend like girls or try to act like them, which I take as mocking in some cases, but it's a fact. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Yoshi_Ayarane
Dec 17, 2007, 01:18 PM
<--- female player, has primarily female characters though her male CAST FF is likely to replace her female human WT/AT as her main

For the most part... I don't care (though to satisfy the eventual curiosity that crops up if you're one of the few I hit it off with enough to give out my member card for, I do like to know so I don't end up having to yank my foot out of my mouth later). I do, however, take issues with those who find it necessary to make everyone think they REALLY ARE FEMALE and construct an elaborate charade around it (and expect me to hold it up). I cannot deal with such blatant deception. It's, just... no. That's going too far, really.

I have a newman female, too, but I tried to make her (and my other girls) look as... "old" as possible. I can't stand the whole loligirl theme that's become common in PSU -.- I find it a tad disturbing that one can easily make old men but it's nigh-impossible to make a female character who looks older than their late-teens/early-twenties. >.>;

Kylie
Dec 17, 2007, 01:27 PM
On 2007-12-17 10:18, Yoshi_Ayarane wrote:
I have a newman female, too, but I tried to make her (and my other girls) look as... "old" as possible. I can't stand the whole loligirl theme that's become common in PSU -.- I find it a tad disturbing that one can easily make old men but it's nigh-impossible to make a female character who looks older than their late-teens/early-twenties. >.>;

Ditto; though I don't go for the "old as possible" thing. I just base my characters off of my real age and try to make them look more like... adults. I did have a newman, Catsy, that I made look like a little girl (small + flat chest) for flavor, but she had an evil personality to balance things out. Still, I ended up deleting her because I don't have an interest in playing little girls. Loligirls is a trend that I don't like, but eh... whatever floats your boats. I admit some of them have caused me OMGWTFCUTE^___^SUPERKAWAII moments. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Bitey
Dec 17, 2007, 01:29 PM
You silly people who think gender identity actually means something online are funny.

Raine_Loire
Dec 17, 2007, 02:08 PM
I use a female newman, and I am female IRL... I think a lot of guys choose female characters because they figure if they're staring at a characters butt for 200-1000 hours, it might as well be one they want to see... That said, I think newmans satisfy the whole elf girl fetish. I'd say newman female characters probably have a higher percentage of being male IRL than other races... Amirite?

Anduril
Dec 17, 2007, 02:10 PM
On 2007-12-17 11:08, Raine_Loire wrote:
I think a lot of guys choose female characters because they figure if they're staring at a characters butt for 200-1000 hours, it might as well be one they want to see...
QFT.

Darsh
Dec 17, 2007, 02:15 PM
Well to answer your question, an old friend of mine (a guy who likes playing as a girl) told me that he would rather stare at a girl character then a guy one for hours and hours.....
O.o am i the only one who things thats a bit freaky?

Akaimizu
Dec 17, 2007, 02:15 PM
On 2007-12-17 11:08, Raine_Loire wrote:
I use a female newman, and I am female IRL... I think a lot of guys choose female characters because they figure if they're staring at a characters butt for 200-1000 hours, it might as well be one they want to see... That said, I think newmans satisfy the whole elf girl fetish. I'd say newman female characters probably have a higher percentage of being male IRL than other races... Amirite?

Oddly enough. Though I'm unsure by what statistic, but if we were to take a quick current census....that is very likely to be correct. But on the other hand, more people who see their characters as being an extension of themselves, are going to gravitate to the same everything as them...So that means human all the way. That takes away from the, being a newman, statistic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-12-17 11:16 ]</font>

chibiLegolas
Dec 17, 2007, 02:18 PM
On 2007-12-17 05:21, Maridia wrote:
Most guys I talk to say "Well if you're gonna grind for hours on end, I'd rather look at something hot". *rolls eyes* http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Actually, that still applies to females as well. I'm a gal, and made my character for my viewing pleasure. Nothing wrong with eye candy in an online game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

A cute guy in a speedo + cowboy hat with crea weapons? That's me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

RACast_Raiden
Dec 17, 2007, 02:18 PM
I like female Newmans chars for:
-Female Clothing is not as boring as male clothing (except CASTs)
-They're a little better in the teching category
-Female ONLY exclusive stuff (Magical wands...etc)
-They're just better :3

Akaimizu
Dec 17, 2007, 02:24 PM
I'm really still stupidly jealous about that, chibiLegolas. The mere fact that guys get cowboy hats and I can't find an equivalent for Tynselle. It would not only SOOO complete the look, it would work in the context of her backstory. Nope. Right now, I get to look at people wear those nice hats and simply hide my envy.

DoubleJG
Dec 17, 2007, 02:26 PM
Here's an interesting note:

If you see a female character almost constantly running around in a bikini, it's a male in real life.

Laranas
Dec 17, 2007, 02:29 PM
My main is male, but my alt is a female (not newman, but still female) mostly because she's a remake of my HUcaseal from PSO. Back then genders made a lot of difference in gameplay and it just stuck here.

Syl
Dec 17, 2007, 02:35 PM
On 2007-12-17 11:26, DoubleJG3288 wrote:

If you see a female character almost constantly running around in a bikini, it's a male in real life.

Gina anyone (he got banned I think)? <.<

chibiLegolas
Dec 17, 2007, 02:37 PM
On 2007-12-17 10:18, Yoshi_Ayarane wrote:

Really? I wouldn't know since I've never bothered to check out female flesh options. And I just assumed that I've never seen one cause no one would like that look. That's a shame then. I would of wanted to make an old, fat lady character when the Madam's Umbrella finally is released. That would of been hours of entertainment for me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

And I feel sorry for those who wanted a cowboy hat on female characters. I too think that's just odd to NOT have in the game.

Danger_Girl
Dec 17, 2007, 02:38 PM
To me saying guys shouldn't have female characters is sort of like saying J.K. Rowling shouldn't have written Harry Potter as her lead.

No one in their right mind would complain about authors writing the opposite gender, in in the same respect, I don't understand why certain people have hangups in video games.

Raine_Loire
Dec 17, 2007, 02:45 PM
On 2007-12-17 11:26, DoubleJG3288 wrote:
Here's an interesting note:

Maybe, but it could be an attention starved female too... They have those as well...

omegapirate2k
Dec 17, 2007, 02:51 PM
The rule of thumb should be "Tits or GTFO"

But since it isn't I just assume everyone is a man unless I have enough reason to believe otherwise.

And the choice to be a newman female may have nothing to do with gender preference, as newman females have higher TP and MST than their male counterparts, making them more suited to pure teching.

Danger_Girl
Dec 17, 2007, 02:56 PM
Might I remind the OP that despite certain design aesthetics, casts don't actually have a gender. Would you suggest they be played only as NPC characters?

Zorafim
Dec 17, 2007, 03:20 PM
I play almost exclusively female characters, and this (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/Zorafin/PSU%20junk/psu20071216_222854_001.jpg) is as much ass I ever see on them. This is not to say that I don't enjoy ass, simply that I don't enjoy ass on my creations.

I've used this argument before, but I believe it still holds. I believe that creating a character is like creating a bit of art. Males have painted females before, often as things of beauty. That's how I think of my characters, as works of art. I hold more enjoyment creating and using a female character than a male character, so that's what I'm going to do. I've tried using males before, but I've been incredibly disappointed. Under most circumstances, females are just easier to get inspired by.

Akaimizu
Dec 17, 2007, 03:23 PM
I artistically create both genders, based on what I feel is right for a certain backstory idea. Though I try, as much as possible, to balance it out 50/50 across the games. Generally trying to make the next character as different as possible, from the last. One of my pride and joy artistic creations is still Rehno Totoire, a male character I created in Oblivion. I really went to town with the creation tool and put together what I think is a real masterpiece. Great detail, too. Never posted it here, because he's not from PSU.

I did, however, post my first ever custom PSU character, which was a perfect newman clone of Lando Calrissian(sp?) aka. Billy Dee Williams. Orlando D. was the name, based off a particular play by William Shakespeare.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-12-17 12:24 ]</font>

danny_o
Dec 17, 2007, 03:24 PM
Results? Predictable!

SeleneD
Dec 17, 2007, 03:26 PM
I'm a female playing a female, but I'm no Newman.
>.>

Lonzell
Dec 17, 2007, 03:29 PM
Tynselle Nbareh is a TRAP! And THATS why she's in the circus <3

Akaimizu
Dec 17, 2007, 03:44 PM
The only trap with Tynselle, is in whether you want to join the circus or not. That and the ones placed on the battlefield for unsuspecting monsters. If she was any other kind of trap, she'd look like some model or something.

ShinMaruku
Dec 17, 2007, 04:05 PM
If I have to look at an ass, a female ass.

Lonzell
Dec 17, 2007, 04:07 PM
SHES A TRAP!

Sylpheed
Dec 17, 2007, 04:19 PM
I think its funny that all the men that make female avatars on this game defend their choice with 'If i have to spend my time looking aat an ass then id rather be looking at a female one'. Why the fuck would you defend your choice with THAT? Those things that you are staring at on screen are god dam pixels, does it matter wtf the charecters ass looks like?

Anyway, almost every charecter i ever make for MMO games usually tend to be male, however when it comes to Phantasy Star i like female CAST charecters as they look a million times better than male CAST's IMO.

I-am-Evan
Dec 17, 2007, 04:29 PM
uhhh who cares its just data.
grow up

ALC
Dec 17, 2007, 04:41 PM
On 2007-12-17 13:19, Sylpheed wrote:
I think its funny that all the men that make female avatars on this game defend their choice with 'If i have to spend my time looking aat an ass then id rather be looking at a female one'. Why the fuck would you defend your choice with THAT? Those things that you are staring at on screen are god dam pixels, does it matter wtf the charecters ass looks like?

That's a poor argument. You're basically saying that an artist's piece of work modeled after real scenery cannot look beautiful because it is made of God damn paint. It can still look pleasing to the eyes.

As for me, I don't have a female newman (anymore). My main character in online games is always a male because he's supposed to be a representation of myself as a guy. Usually, all my alts are female, though. And that is for aesthetic purposes. I don't care about the stats. What can I say? I just prefer seeing female body parts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ALC on 2007-12-17 13:43 ]</font>

chibiLegolas
Dec 17, 2007, 04:49 PM
How about the arguement that male and female melee animations are actually different?
I hear that females get an extra attack with single claws? Yea, it doesn't matter to techer characters, but still something worth note'n.

And who cares? They're just pixels? Well, they can still be more pleasing on the eyes for those who DO care. It's just another way to customize ourselves in this game. You wanna look just like all the rest of the races /class combos out there in other games?
I think the highly customizable characters we can make in PSU makes it that much more unique compared to plenty of other online games which doesn't have it this detailed. Gender is just another option in that category. And all the various clothing that goes with them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2007-12-17 13:51 ]</font>

Dragwind
Dec 17, 2007, 04:55 PM
Uhhhh.......Some people just like eye candy I suppose? Some people chose them for stats, who cares.

ShinAnt
Dec 17, 2007, 05:02 PM
On 2007-12-17 13:05, ShinMaruku wrote:
If I have to look at an ass, a female ass.

Agreed. Sometimes Badonkadonk is kinda nice with that Axe Swing.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s244/ShinAnt1234/psu20071127_120013_057.jpg
Ohhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaah. It Awwwright.

Inb4ewbeasts....haters

RACast_Raiden
Dec 17, 2007, 05:04 PM
On 2007-12-17 14:02, ShinAnt wrote:
Inb4ewbeasts....haters

You rang?

ShinAnt
Dec 17, 2007, 05:07 PM
LOL

RemiusTA
Dec 17, 2007, 05:08 PM
I am one myself and i believe nearly all the female newmans r actually female... i mean y would a guy want to play a girl character??? if u r a female plaing a female newman select female, if u r a male playing a female newman select male..... its quite simple, would love to hear wat other people think about this topic....Really interested about how the poll turns out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

little bit curious,

http://usera.imagecave.com/chickey/images3.jpg

much love,

I...Is this some kind of a joke?

You aren't serious are you?

Mikura
Dec 17, 2007, 05:10 PM
I find it funny that no matter how many times this topic gets brought up, the thread winds up being several pages long...That being said, I'm a guy and my main and alts are all female. It really just has to do with aesthetics and I think females kicking ass in a game is just "cooler."

In the end, it really doesn't matter. Play what you want, how you want, and enjoy the game. As long as you aren't trying to masquerade as a real female for money, items, etc. there's no harm in it, now is there?

Bolvyn
Dec 17, 2007, 05:21 PM
I know alot of men or boys play on female newmans in the game. Some say thay like to see a female on the sreen than a guy. But some say thay like how the female can play and srike faster then males. But I have a Female human I like it as a cool looking player. But I like how thay strike. The diffrents stiles are fun to watch. If you look at a male and a female look at the diffrents in stiles thay use. But my main player is a male.

bahk
Dec 17, 2007, 05:43 PM
Seems like most of the time whenever someone feels the need to say "I'm a girl" online, they're a guy looking for free items and attention. They're also almost always the ones who will type with that stupid "u" and "r" and unnecessary smily faces just to try and look cute and match the stereotype that all girls lack the ability to type properly.

Hmmm....

MSAksion
Dec 17, 2007, 06:09 PM
Only like 1/5 of the PSU friends i know are real girls. But its almost true - 3 of them do play female newman Fortetechers as their mains, a 4th is a Guntecher, and a 5th is a ForteFighter.

Think about it - guns and swords - not usually a woman's choice. Probably cause they are heavy and they may break a nail (please dont hit me XD)

Usually they use their minds and their intelligence to get problems solved. And if that means chanting a magic spell to melt a foe's Skin then more power to them.

The female is the more deadly of the species dun cha know.

Wallin
Dec 17, 2007, 06:22 PM
Here's a question, since I actually don't recall seeing this much before (not that I honestly look for it), how many female players create male characters?

Noblewine
Dec 17, 2007, 06:33 PM
I play as a male Newman I haven't really tried any of the other classes.

Lyric
Dec 17, 2007, 06:42 PM
Just remember the acronym G.I.R.L and you'll be all set XD.

On a more serious note though, I don't really care what type of character someone plays. I don't treat them any differently.

((Just in case, by some slim chance someone can't figure it out. G.I.R.L = Guy In Real Life))

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyric on 2007-12-17 15:43 ]</font>

Aries2384
Dec 17, 2007, 06:48 PM
Hey. Id rather spend 1000+ hours over the last years of playing PSU, looking at a female character than a ugly rendition of the male newman. So who cares. We have the right to pick whatever character we want. Maybe some people think all the clothes for a certain sex are ugly. The stat differences dont make up enough of a difference to really pick between the two.. but thats my two cents. Anyone else who thinks it takes a special kind of retard/ molested-as-a-child/gay/wish-was-woman/perverted... whatever.. then you're wrong. Some may be like that, but not all. It is ultimately the player's choice. And who cares? Its a game, play it to have fun. I don't run around acting like a girl! (" You're not a girl!" ... "Yes I am!" "Fine, then send me naked pictures!" "...ok.. hehehehe") Anyone who acts like that (granted its their choice, but thats weird) is subject to whatever criticiscm. Its a game. Play it. Dont disect it with words like we do in life. We talk life to death. Don't let that happen to a game that I play to relax.

Added thought. I know a girl who has all male characters, but people who bash a guy for playing female characters wouldnt bash the girl for playing male characters, would ya? Digest that one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aries2384 on 2007-12-17 15:50 ]</font>

Seira7
Dec 17, 2007, 06:54 PM
On 2007-12-17 15:22, Wallin wrote:
Here's a question, since I actually don't recall seeing this much before (not that I honestly look for it), how many female players create male characters?

I swear, Ive tried doing this in about every online game I play to reduce stalker numbers and I can never bring myself to lvl that character...I guess Im just vain.

The only male character I spent some time leveling was my elf in Lineage2, since he looked a lot like a girl =(
But my little Newman dude collects dust (I thought dressing him all in green like a lepracaun would make him cute, but playing him scares me)

Meh, if a guy wants to play a gal who cares. I can totally agree with the excuse "I like looking at a gals butt" I mean, we are the more attractive sex, so why not?

Ami~
Dec 17, 2007, 06:57 PM
Uuuh in response to one of the posters here, I actually like guns and swords...they're cool. and i'm female in RL(i'm sure a lot of people can vouch for me if any other ppl thought otherwise ;D) and all my characters are female (which I kinda regret since I recently thought about making a male alt) and I play a newman, go figure!!

In all honesty, I don't really see many girls...or at least I think I don't. I can think of a few female players off the top of my head, very few though. It's really awesome to see a bunch of girls on here XD

Oh and in response to Wallin, my female friend plays a male character as her main and most of her alts are male. she only has one female alt. It isn't really uncommon for girls to play guys either. hope that helps http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

and too each their own. if guys want to play girl characters, cool. same goes for girls wanting to play guys

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ami_ on 2007-12-17 15:59 ]</font>

Raine_Loire
Dec 17, 2007, 06:58 PM
On 2007-12-17 13:19, Sylpheed wrote:
[snip]
Those things that you are staring at on screen are god dam pixels, does it matter wtf the charecters ass looks like?
[snip]
i like female CAST charecters as they look a million times better than male CAST's IMO.

Uhh huh, good argument...

On 2007-12-17 14:43, bahk wrote:
Seems like most of the time whenever someone feels the need to say "I'm a girl" online, they're a guy looking for free items and attention. They're also almost always the ones who will type with that stupid "u" and "r" and unnecessary smily faces just to try and look cute and match the stereotype that all girls lack the ability to type properly.

Is there honestly a stereotype that girls can't type properly? Or was that sarcasm b/c of the OP... I mean, I would think someone who spells better would have a better chance of being a female... Guys are l-a-z-y.

Aries2384
Dec 17, 2007, 06:58 PM
LOL! Thanks Seira. Well put.

superdood22
Dec 17, 2007, 07:02 PM
its imo really gay to use girl characters when your a boy. :/

Aries2384
Dec 17, 2007, 07:10 PM
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has em, and they all stink. We can argue these threads all day long and get nowhere. Point is, I paid for my game, Im gonna play it how I want to. Anyone else who thinks otherwise can mind their own business like the OP of the "Is being a female character profitable" thread.

Xaeris
Dec 17, 2007, 07:38 PM
I have three female alts (granted, one of them is just there for the sake of using the armor bot) so it's not like I have any issues with people playing the other gender.

But still, in every single one of these sorts of topic, on any forum, for any game, anywhere, someone will always use the "if I have to stare at an ass..." line like it's the golden bullet of wit. I...I just wish I could go back in time to meet the first person who ever said it and show him what precisely he unleashed upon the world.

Sinue_v2
Dec 17, 2007, 07:44 PM
On 2007-12-17 11:56, Danger_Girl wrote:
Might I remind the OP that despite certain design aesthetics, casts don't actually have a gender. Would you suggest they be played only as NPC characters?

Not quite.

http://madkiwihosting.co.nz/catalog/images/usbextender.jpg

There's a difference between Male and Female in computers.

http://www.newnex.com/images/ADP-USB-AAFFlarge.jpg
lol, lesbian.

http://www.emarket888.com/en/photo888/cimb9751em.jpg
Transgender

http://www.vpi.us/vpi/images/items/usb-hub-np-4-p.jpg
Orgy compatable.

BeastlyMike
Dec 17, 2007, 07:45 PM
On 2007-12-17 14:21, Bolvyn wrote:
I know alot of men or boys play on female newmans in the game. Some say thay like to see a female on the sreen than a guy. But some say thay like how the female can play and srike faster then males. But I have a Female human I like it as a cool looking player. But I like how thay strike. The diffrents stiles are fun to watch. If you look at a male and a female look at the diffrents in stiles thay use. But my main player is a male.

Learn how to spell. You fucking punk bitch.

Xaeris
Dec 17, 2007, 07:46 PM
In a perfect world, Sinue would be declared winner of the thread and that would be the end of it.

Shadow_Wing
Dec 17, 2007, 07:47 PM
Sinue_v2 bwahahahahaha (in a yea... I'm a computer nerd kind of way XD)

xeku
Dec 17, 2007, 08:01 PM
Well, perfect world be damned - I say Sinue_v2 wins this thread, period!

Aries2384
Dec 17, 2007, 08:03 PM
Sinue just owned everyone. I say Sinue wins.

pokefiend
Dec 17, 2007, 08:15 PM
I'm a male in real life, whose main is a female newman. However unlike many people posting in this thread, I'm more turned on by the build and looks of male characters. D: It times when I get lonely, I wish I would've made a ripped, muscled-up, hot, shirtless gay pornstar as one of my characters...
... *sigh*

Wallin
Dec 17, 2007, 08:16 PM
On 2007-12-17 17:15, pokefiend wrote:
I'm a male in real life, whose main is a female newman. However unlike many people posting in this thread, I'm more turned on by the build and looks of male characters. D: It times when I get lonely, I wish I would've made a ripped, muscled-up, hot, shirtless gay pornstar as one of my characters...
... *sigh*

* head pat *
Don't worry, the little boy PM will be out soon, just for you.

Mayu
Dec 17, 2007, 08:18 PM
Well done

Sinue

Syl
Dec 17, 2007, 08:21 PM
And this is where everyone high fives Sinue

Micro
Dec 17, 2007, 08:24 PM
On 2007-12-17 16:44, Sinue_v2 wrote:

On 2007-12-17 11:56, Danger_Girl wrote:

Not quite.

http://madkiwihosting.co.nz/catalog/images/usbextender.jpg

http://www.newnex.com/images/ADP-USB-AAFFlarge.jpg
lol, lesbian.

http://www.emarket888.com/en/photo888/cimb9751em.jpg
Transgender

http://www.vpi.us/vpi/images/items/usb-hub-np-4-p.jpg
Orgy compatable.

This thread is over, lock it now!
Well done lolol

pokefiend
Dec 17, 2007, 08:29 PM
On 2007-12-17 17:16, Wallin wrote:
* head pat *
Don't worry, the little boy PM will be out soon, just for you.

He's cute but not my preference.

If he satisfied me, I wouldn't need porn in my life. I'd just pop up my midget-like beast, and be done with the day.

On 2007-12-17 12:20, Zorafim wrote:
I've used this argument before, but I believe it still holds. I believe that creating a character is like creating a bit of art. Males have painted females before, often as things of beauty. That's how I think of my characters, as works of art. I hold more enjoyment creating and using a female character than a male character, so that's what I'm going to do. I've tried using males before, but I've been incredibly disappointed. Under most circumstances, females are just easier to get inspired by.

Wow, can't say anything more truer than that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

GentlemanJakk
Dec 17, 2007, 08:53 PM
Wow. Agreed.

Tigerram
Dec 17, 2007, 10:37 PM
I think I'm one of the few that refuse to play as a female because I'm male...not trying to be sexist at all either.

I'll even offer a small explantion...1, because I just can't see myself playing as a female...and 2, I guess it's just natural to be a dude. Okay, this explanation sucks, so I'm going to say I guess I'm just too manly http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

If guys play female chars for the "attractiveness" I say this to you...get a gf, a REAL gf. If I want to watch eye candy, I'll watch the hotties in RL on the streets, thank you. Sheesh, get out more.

Omega_Weltall
Dec 17, 2007, 10:55 PM
Some of us cant get real gf's... "Oh you'er so cute but you'er like my little brother" or "you'er such a nice guy!" will YOU go out with me? "oh no, i have a bf allready" or the "oh if i didnt have a bf I'd go out with you" or the... oh nm i'm ranting now. I actually have a Female Human alt cause in PSO I wanted a Male Newman Force that didnt look retarded, and a Female Human hunter (Wanted an Alys clone) but there was no HUmarl. And I make female characters because... I LIKE BREAST! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif my female alts all have huge boobs cause i'm just a perv http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

joluh
Dec 17, 2007, 11:00 PM
I always play with a main male character, but have a bunch of female alternative characters.

Anduril
Dec 17, 2007, 11:00 PM
I prefer not to check out girls on the street because I have some respect for them and don't want to objectify them. With a virtual Female Avatar I don't have that problem. Plus my last gf was a bit crazy, so I'm trying to avoid that for a time and focus on getting my major progress going on the right track.

omegapirate2k
Dec 17, 2007, 11:03 PM
On 2007-12-17 17:15, pokefiend wrote:
... *sigh*

Look on the bright side! You have a slutty female character who hits on all male characters within, like, a 1000 meter radius at meetups http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

NeoTeppin
Dec 17, 2007, 11:03 PM
i think most people who make newmans make them female just to have higher tp.

Danger_Girl
Dec 18, 2007, 01:35 AM
On 2007-12-17 16:44, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Not quite.

Cast pickup line: "Hey baby, would you like my serial bus to interface with your docking station. I think you would be impressed with my plug-and-play capabilities."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Danger_Girl on 2007-12-17 22:46 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 18, 2007, 02:06 AM
I am a male, and though 3 of my characters are male like myself, my main is, in fact, a female newman. Originally, I made a HUnewearl due to my rather fond memories of Nei from Phantasy Star II. By the time PSU came around, I didn't really intend to recreate Meira, but I found that I'd just absolutely fallen in love with the character, and felt that I couldn't abandon her with PSO. Thus, she's been reincarnated in Gurhal. I don't see anything wrong with it, personally.

Raine_Loire
Dec 18, 2007, 02:33 AM
On 2007-12-17 19:55, Omega_Weltall wrote:
Some of us cant get real gf's... "Oh you'er so cute but you'er like my little brother" or "you'er such a nice guy!" will YOU go out with me? "oh no, i have a bf allready" or the "oh if i didnt have a bf I'd go out with you" or the... oh nm i'm ranting now.

Ohh.. *pat pat pat* it's ok... It'll get better... *pat pat pat*

And I don't know who's a bigger perv... a guy who makes a video game character because he likes teh boobz or the creepy guy who scares the women in town staring at them on the street...

P1nkSt4r
Dec 18, 2007, 02:37 AM
To all who participated in this poll i thank u for ur opinions and to help me recognize that it is in fact males whos play female newmans..... i mean seriously wat was i thinkin.... silly me i think it is absolutely adorable that guys r admittin to playin girl characters..... and there is absolutely nothing wrong with how u play the game, i am simply trying to get an answer and i have obtained it quite efectively, i am not making the poll to offend anyone and i apolygize if some of the males were hurt in the process or females.... just a girl trying to get the statistics....

http://usera.imagecave.com/chickey/images9-copy.jpg

Thank you kindly,

Zorafim
Dec 18, 2007, 02:45 AM
On 2007-12-17 19:37, Tigerram wrote:
If guys play female chars for the "attractiveness" I say this to you...get a gf, a REAL gf. If I want to watch eye candy, I'll watch the hotties in RL on the streets, thank you. Sheesh, get out more.

I'll get on that once I meet a modest woman with sad eyes, wearing heavy armor and wielding a double sided lance. Until then, female characters look better.

And, uh, yeah. Maybe not the thread, but Sinue definitely wins something. Something good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-12-17 23:48 ]</font>

Lolitecher
Dec 18, 2007, 02:59 AM
Even Sega and Team Sonic seem to have historically cringed at the thought of a male numan/newman as there isn't a single known Male Newman in the main cast yet of PSU who gives you their Partner Card... just for comparison sake:

Human Male: Ethan, Hyuga
Human Female: Lumia
Beast Male: Leo, Tonnio, Tylor
Beast Female: Laia
Cast Male: Curtz, Nav
Cast Female: Lou
Newman Female: Karen, Maia
Newman Male: N/A

Newmans are the only category where there are more females than males... mainly due to lack of existence.

The only admirable Male Newman of significance in the story who didn't turn out to be a murderer or an exploding CAST in disguise is Light Master Rutsu, who as of Episode II seems be asking for decapitation for scoring high marks in the "shifty person who wouldn't tell you anything" category. Of course, there's also Hiro Vol... moving right along as explanation is not required for why Hiro should die a horrible death by vertical laceration, female Numans/Newmans also have a long history of being likable characters in Phantasy Star with Nei and Fal.

If you think about it though, the distinctive lack of a Male Newman in the cast kinda' makes it logical to have your main character as one. ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lolitecher on 2007-12-18 00:00 ]</font>

Omega_Weltall
Dec 18, 2007, 03:03 AM
ya i'm kinda disappointed that there's no real strong Male Newman presence in the PS series. Mainly cause I relate to a male newman more than humans in the PS series. The closest thing to a Male Newman besides Rutsu is... well Lutz but he's human so never mind (Hiro Vol MUST DIE, hell all of the Vol Brothers must die!)

Flamingo99
Dec 18, 2007, 03:27 AM
I play newman female and I'm a male. They have more TP... which is nice, and male character models in this game look like complete crap... so I pick female for almost all my characters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flamingo99 on 2007-12-18 00:51 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Dec 18, 2007, 03:45 AM
Cast pickup line: "Hey baby, would you like my serial bus to interface with your docking station. I think you would be impressed with my plug-and-play capabilities."

Yeah, and then he takes her home, romances her, seductively pulls down her shell and to his surprise finds out she has a huge dongle!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/41/Matrix_Dongle.gif

Aw shit man... I can't interface with that!

Well.... Hmm... Aw what the hell. You've run a Virus Scan lately right?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-12-18 00:48 ]</font>

Syl
Dec 18, 2007, 03:51 AM
I hope this thread never dies. Thanks Sinue

Mayu
Dec 18, 2007, 03:51 AM
I love you Sinue

Shadow_Wing
Dec 18, 2007, 03:53 AM
On 2007-12-18 00:45, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Yeah, and then he takes her home, romances her, seductively pulls down her shell and to his surprise finds out she has a huge dongle!

Well how fast can he send information? I'm pretty sure the lady wouldn't appreciate a guy with a slow upload speed D:

Sinue_v2
Dec 18, 2007, 04:15 AM
+20 dB HOT It's true QAM baby!

Syl
Dec 18, 2007, 04:16 AM
On 2007-12-18 00:53, Shadow_Wing wrote:

Well how fast can he send information? I'm pretty sure the lady wouldn't appreciate a guy with a slow upload speed D:

USB 2.0 or gtfo amirite?

P1nkSt4r
Dec 18, 2007, 06:43 AM
lol..... i think this is goin off topic it is certain everyone loves Sinue though..... rofl
thx Sinue for being so creative but unfortunately there is no prize at the end of
this tunnel!!!! yet very impressive if i might add.... quite atractive (jokes)......

http://usera.imagecave.com/chickey/images4.jpg

Thankful,

omegapirate2k
Dec 18, 2007, 09:54 AM
Somehow this is starting to feel like it's against the rules... somehow.

SolomonGrundy
Dec 18, 2007, 10:21 AM
This thread is 10 minutes of my life I will never get back. And yet somehow I kept clicking the pages...all **9** of them :-0

Edit: on topic - I like pizza

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolomonGrundy on 2007-12-18 07:21 ]</font>

EternityAngel
Dec 18, 2007, 10:32 AM
I'm a female newman and I'm a female. But really; shouldn't people play whatever character they desire? I don't think people should be obliged to play female or male characters depending on their gender; I think its quite cool to be able to see males playing females and vice versa (although I haven't seen any of the community so I'm the one to talk lol). But anyway; its a good topic you pasted here Pinkstar and since this is my first online game; I'll be happy with any result that comes on the poll. But are girls really that rare in an online game? I've been living with sisters who watch anime and surround ourselves with games that we may like but could never afford (lol, pieces of paper but at least they look like the front cover) so I've always thought that liking video games was a norm. But I guess this is just me ^_^

Danger_Girl
Dec 18, 2007, 11:09 AM

That would turn most guy's hard drive into a floppy disk real quick.

Daremo
Dec 18, 2007, 11:21 AM
I play a female Newman for two reasons 1) I played one on PSO where the stat differences were greater so this is like continuing my character from that game 2) The stats are still a little different here as well... But the main reason is the first one ^-^

Raine_Loire
Dec 18, 2007, 12:04 PM
On 2007-12-18 00:53, Shadow_Wing wrote:

You must be a guy... for girls, better a slow connection than too fast...