PDA

View Full Version : AotI: guys and whips?

gryphonvii
Dec 17, 2007, 11:37 PM
I love whips, they kick ass, let me have a fighgunner double saber feel as a techer class, but I have noticed one thing. I never see male characters with them, and I wonder are they not manly enough for the male character or something? I mean I see plenty of okanohs so why not males using whips?

pikachief
Dec 17, 2007, 11:38 PM
they have very girly animations ^.^

Anduril
Dec 17, 2007, 11:41 PM
I've actually seen tons of males using whips, almost exclusively. Don't know why.

Bliven
cause most techers are female.

GuardianElite
dominatrix xp

Poncho_Jr
Dec 17, 2007, 11:42 PM
Poncho Jr uses a whip..... AND.... wears a cowboy suit. XD

Greaus
Dec 17, 2007, 11:43 PM
The 1st one isn't that bad. The 2nd move is VERY girly. I've not seen the 3rd move if there is one, but I'm not holding my breath. I still use it on my AT, but it's embarasing to look at.

Poncho_Jr
Dec 17, 2007, 11:43 PM
And btw, Bliven, most TECHers aren't female, they're SHEMALE.

gryphonvii
Dec 17, 2007, 11:46 PM
on the animation for the second one is there a video with a male using it, maybe its like majarra with two different animations. I haven't seen it so I don't know.

oooWaveooo
Dec 17, 2007, 11:58 PM
Poncho_Jr
Rappy Hunter
Team: Active Mod
#6 Posted: 2007-12-17 20:42

Poncho Jr. Newman Male. Level 107. fT 15.

Can... can I buy you?

Akaimizu
Dec 18, 2007, 12:08 AM
Tynselle's father was the first guy to use a photon whip, way before SEGA announced whips in the game, or before people made it a wish list item. At least by story posting. So I hardly think it's a guy perception. Or is it simply less male Acrotechers.

Wallin
Dec 18, 2007, 12:22 AM
When playing a class that can use a whip, I always carry at least one around, but since I play mostly FT or AT, I also spend a lot of my time using techs instead since whips are mostly just for the status effects, and my light/dark ones seem kind of useless for that.

Broodstar1337
Dec 18, 2007, 12:27 AM
I'm a Newman Male AT. I wear a cowboy getup (w/Storia Set) and I use whips quite often. I'll use the 7* electric whip until I can get a hold of some Vish Adacs...

AlphaMinotaux
Dec 18, 2007, 12:29 AM
The second part of the PA is pretty gay. I'll use it but its not something thats reeks of manliness. The second Whip PA looks a whole lot better though.

Wallin
Dec 18, 2007, 12:36 AM
On 2007-12-17 21:29, AlphaMinotaux wrote:
The second part of the PA is pretty gay. I'll use it but its not something thats reeks of manliness. The second Whip PA looks a whole lot better though.

I honestly don't see how you think spinning around like a ballerina with your ribbon twirling around you is more manly than strolling around like you own the place being whip slap happy on everything around you, but okayyyyy... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

oooWaveooo
Dec 18, 2007, 12:42 AM
Simon Belmont used a whip, he's a fucking badass

SIMON FUCKING BELMONT!

Wallin
Dec 18, 2007, 12:54 AM
On 2007-12-17 21:42, oooWaveooo wrote:
Simon Belmont used a whip, he's a fucking badass

SIMON FUCKING BELMONT!

I hope we're not talking about his Captain 'N' appearances, those were definitely not his glory days, LOL

Did he die at the end of the 2nd game? I never played it, just watched the funny Angry Video Game Nerd rant. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif (And if I spoiled the ending on a game that's probably 20 years old, you don't want to play it anyway)

oooWaveooo
Dec 18, 2007, 12:57 AM
i'm not sure, it's been like 10 years since i've played the nes games

gryphonvii
Dec 18, 2007, 12:59 AM
http://www.mtv.com/shared/promoimages/movies/movies_blog/061907_indylego_full.jpg

HaydenX
Dec 18, 2007, 01:32 AM
On 2007-12-17 21:59, gryphonvii wrote:
http://www.mtv.com/shared/promoimages/movies/movies_blog/061907_indylego_full.jpg

Why'd you go with LEGO Indy anyway? Damn you!

Seriously though, this debate is stupid. People will see things as "girly" animations, until they realize that gender roles are assigned by society. Twirling ribbons and batons is a "girly" thing only by gender, not sex.

Whips are the most graceful weapons in the game. There is no bashing the skulls, but a serene "death of a thousand nicks." They are beautiful weapons and the beauty therein lies, not with the character using them, but with they themselves. Funky.GUN has a full military suit and a teal headband, but he looks graceful and agile with the whip.

I find it interesting that whips are Tenora and Slicers are Yohmei. They are the opposite of each other. Slicers are about "Cut the motha f***in' head off" and they are made by the super intelligent and cultured Yohmei corp. Whips are delicate, yet deadly and refined; they require finess, yet they are made by the same company which invented the photon AXE!!!

In conclusion, uhh...I don't really know why I went on this tangent...I hope you enjoyed it... :rolleyes: http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DoubleJG
Dec 18, 2007, 02:20 AM
I'm a guy with a whip... You have a problem with that? >:(

Omega_Weltall
Dec 18, 2007, 02:22 AM
my main used a whip as fT but just to open boxes with out wasteing tp and for an easy SE. Now my female alt uses whips alot more. The whip animation just looks...hot for females.

Dana
Dec 18, 2007, 02:28 AM
'Cause Whips for for girls, and men using whips only use 'em 'cause they wanna be women!!

Whips are pretty cool weapons, I use them to induce SE. They gain their PP back very quickly and can do nice damage with JA. Useful on crowds imho.

I don't know why one doesn't see men with them very often. I have seen men characters using them, but far more women. I guess the community isn't cool with the look. And I thought Metro was in >.>;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dana_ranger on 2007-12-17 23:34 ]</font>

Raine_Loire
Dec 18, 2007, 02:29 AM
On 2007-12-17 20:42, Poncho_Jr wrote:

Then poncho Jr is very cool. Poncho Sr must be proud...

Dana
Dec 18, 2007, 02:35 AM
I couldn't get the edit function to work >_<

*inserts Edit*

I don't know why one doesn't see men with them very often. I have seen men characters using them, but far more women. I guess the community isn't cool with the look. And I thought Metro was in >.>;;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dana_ranger on 2007-12-17 23:36 ]</font>

C-0719
Dec 18, 2007, 03:02 AM
its because guys look gay when they use the PA

BanF
Dec 18, 2007, 03:22 AM
Game platform: from $120 to thousands of dollars

PSU plus AotI: between $40 and $100

Watching little kids squirm in their gender insecurities: priceless

There are things that mommy and daddy can buy, but some of them, they shouldn't.

Zorafim
Dec 18, 2007, 03:26 AM
The first PA is very feminine, but it has some power to it. I really don't like it for masculine characters. The second PA, though, removes all "girliness" from the weapon, and should be used by any and all whip users unless they are currently wearing high heals and leather.

BanF
Dec 18, 2007, 03:27 AM
"High heals". So, that means 31+ GiResta, or what?

Zorafim
Dec 18, 2007, 03:30 AM
Yes, all whip users should have 31+ giresta if using the first whip PA.

RedMussel
Dec 18, 2007, 03:31 AM
I like being dominated http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

SonKevin
Dec 18, 2007, 03:41 AM
I'm a wartecher and use a whip as one of my weapons. My friend calls me a fag everytime we party. I wish I saw more females with them. I love dominatrixes.

Noblewine
Dec 18, 2007, 07:04 AM
I haven't really bothered trying to get one yet. I'm probably going to wait for one to drop or etc. The whips to choose from at the shops are limited.

Laranas
Dec 18, 2007, 07:24 AM
I think there's nothing more manly than taking out a group of monsters while vogue'ing around the map like the sexually-secure man you are.

Maridia
Dec 18, 2007, 07:30 AM
I couldn't wait for whips to come out, and they haven't disappointed me yet. Besides, they just look plain hot on girls. I feel so powerful strutting around flinging mobs every which way. <3

dudeanonymous
Dec 18, 2007, 07:40 AM
As a male acrotecher I have an S rank whip in every element except light...I use whips a lot...and deva's...still working on collecting deva's...

Angelo
Dec 18, 2007, 09:57 AM
Because it's really not so much a whip as it is a photon "Ribbon Dancer" (80's kids will know what I'm sayin').

Bolvyn
Dec 18, 2007, 09:59 AM
guys and whips looks gay right now. But the new PA for the whip looks cool. I say yes to that. I have one on my lv 31.

MetalIdol876
Dec 18, 2007, 11:11 AM
On 2007-12-17 21:36, Wallin wrote:

On 2007-12-17 21:29, AlphaMinotaux wrote:

I honestly don't see how you think spinning around like a ballerina with your ribbon twirling around you is more manly than strolling around like you own the place being whip slap happy on everything around you, but okayyyyy... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Princess Tutu taught me that it is manly to perform ballet and still kick ass. As a guy. Or a Duck. Or a Crow.

Kichi
Dec 18, 2007, 11:21 AM
Dude, as soon as my friend gets on, Which SHOULD BE TONIGHT. I'm making an Acrotecher, mostly for the Whips. XD Also partially for that "buff yourself, then ATTACK" feel.

Ryoki
Dec 18, 2007, 11:39 AM
Well...

I was going to make a castlevania character originally, maybe Richter Belmont, but when I saw the animation, it wasn't a quick snap or anything, it was kind of like a weird circus performer. It basically killed the idea of whips for me. Maybe the next pa will be better, though?

They need to make a PA that hits maybe, two enemies, and just attacks like a normal whip, with a lot of force, for much higher damage.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryoki on 2007-12-18 08:41 ]</font>

MetalIdol876
Dec 18, 2007, 11:46 AM
On 2007-12-18 08:39, Ryoki wrote:
Well...

I was going to make a castlevania character originally, maybe Richter Belmont, but when I saw the animation, it wasn't a quick snap or anything, it was kind of like a weird circus performer. It basically killed the idea of whips for me. Maybe the next pa will be better, though?

They need to make a PA that hits maybe, two enemies, and just attacks like a normal whip, with a lot of force, for much higher damage.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryoki on 2007-12-18 08:41 ]</font>

Well if you think about it, the Photon whips slice anything; friend of foe, the one holding it or not. They do it like Ballerinas with ribbons because the ribbons NEVER touch them, which means the GUARDIANS will lose less limbs showing off and defending themselves. This is probably why the whips never extend until the GUARDIAN is about to attack. Probably too dangerous as flexible as they are t leave around in the open.

Or maybe SEGA just likes seeing men get sissified and girls dancing around the map? Who knows.

Akaimizu
Dec 18, 2007, 01:25 PM
"Watching little kids squirm in their gender insecurities: priceless "

Definitely a quote made of win. And I'm one very hesitant to use internet slang. However, it so true. So totally true.

"it was kind of like a weird circus performer"

I like this quote. Even more security for where SEGA REALLY got the idea of whips from........me!!! Heh heh!!!

<begin Super Shameless Plug Alpha Gold Turbo Championship Edition>

So don the whips and Join the Nbareh Six Square Circus!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<end Super Shameless Plug Alpha Gold Turbo Championship Edition>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-12-18 10:27 ]</font>

Kylie
Dec 18, 2007, 01:28 PM
They're girly, and I guess some guys just aren't secure enough to use them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Akaimizu
Dec 18, 2007, 01:31 PM
Whips SEED infected........
and anything else.....Communicate intentions..........
and last but not least.....is used with attitude....

No ...Guardian... should ever see that as "not cool".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-12-18 10:35 ]</font>

Yoshi_Ayarane
Dec 18, 2007, 01:39 PM
Why has nobody mentioned the other badass with a whip? You know... Indiana Jones? XD

EDIT: Oh wait, I saw that Lego-fied Indy. Oops. :P

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yoshi_Ayarane on 2007-12-18 10:41 ]</font>

EspioKaos
Dec 18, 2007, 01:41 PM
LEGO Indy was referenced a few pages back (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=164490&forum=20&start=15&30#19). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

EDIT: Ah, you saw it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EspioKaos on 2007-12-18 10:42 ]</font>

zeekX
Dec 18, 2007, 02:23 PM
you mustve never saw me (Zero X) rock a whip in my speedos. random nanobagging of sitting guardians is also a favorite pastime of mine.

Addark
Dec 18, 2007, 02:36 PM
On 2007-12-18 00:22, BanF wrote:
Game platform: from $120 to thousands of dollars

PSU plus AotI: between $40 and $100

Watching little kids squirm in their gender insecurities: priceless

There are things that mommy and daddy can buy, but some of them, they shouldn't.

I lol'd.

BaconZero
Dec 18, 2007, 03:20 PM
On 2007-12-17 20:41, Anduril wrote:
I've actually seen tons of males using whips, almost exclusively. Don't know why.

the first part if the PA is why, cuz of the spin. But, dont worry, more guys will probably use it more once the next PA for the whip comes out, looks more for guys anyway, lol.

Ken_Silver
Dec 18, 2007, 03:23 PM
I agree with Addark. Super LOL. Anyhow, I am a WT and I use a whip with the first available PA and I don't see a problem with it. No one's mentioned the "wuss" factor to me and I don't take that much consideration into it either. But in the end, I like using the whip. I'm not looking out to be macho man and thus I guess the use of a whip shows that. Besides, if someone makes fun of me using a whip, I'll introduce them to my Knuckles and my newly found skills with Majarra. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif