PDA

View Full Version : Cards and Acrofighters

usmcbama
Dec 19, 2007, 12:55 PM
Cards are weapons I've never used before, as they have previously been limited to force types (and even if I could have, I wasn't to keen on carrying a pretty little fan into battle), but since I found a Card Regas board, and it's equippable by Acrofighters (and, resembling a falchion, appeals to my more masculine aesthetic), I made a couple, picked up a bullet of my favorite element (light, ftw), and proceeded to level it up.

I must say, I've been enjoying it. It's a very different weapon than most guns I'm used to (having played Fortegunner and Fighgunner), but it seems that with an Acrofighter's ATP to back it up, it's quite a good weapon. I was slightly disappointed to find that it didn't gain a fourth card at 21+, but the elemental bonus gives it a punch. Even against neutrals, I'm hitting over 300/card, non-buffed, for approximately 1k per swing (LV95, AF10), over 400/12-1300 on dark creatures.

One unconventional method I've been using it for is as an offhand weapon paired with a slicer, as opposed to the usual shadoog. I miss out on the auto-fire while slicing, but whatever's not killed outright by the slicer is quickly mopped up afterward with the card, and alternating between the two makes PP last a bit longer due to recharge.

Are there any acrofighters out there who use cards, and what are your general impressions?

Miren
Dec 19, 2007, 02:35 PM
You are pretty lucky to made a couple, I made ONE from the board (outta 3 >.<).
neway, back to topic, cards are awesome against flyers and if u can get to 11+, it shoot 3 cards instead of 2 (more dps then mag or handguns since it autoaim)

Xencia
Dec 19, 2007, 07:35 PM
I really like the cards,I worked during 1up to get all my card PAs 21+ and it's working out well. I kinda hate the shadoogs,not cute like the madoogs,and not very strong. What I do is Slicer/Elemental Card in a slot or two for long range,with Claw/Masai-Shiki(Zalure lvl 3) in usually 2 slots,with 1 or 2 twin claws to round it out. I dislike twin handguns,the stance and how they fire,so while I carry a set with me in case I need to sub them in for manual targeting,so far card has been able to save me from using them,even on De Rol.

Pengfishh
Dec 19, 2007, 08:05 PM
I carry four with me. Love love love cards.

Lolitecher
Dec 19, 2007, 08:24 PM
Although I'm an offliner, I've learned to love cards ^_^ When I first tried them out, they kept on missing and did very little damage, so I quickly swapped to a Madoog setup, however, later on when I learned that they gain an additional shot and you can use them while strafing, I started to love them even more than Crossbows. When you get them at three shots, you can blanket an entire field of enemies and easily stay out of harms way by strafing, and not even worry about such trivial things as exact aim, so the whole "dodge and shoot" game becomes easier, because you can easily hit an enemy without having to line up to shoot them and risk a Megid to the face.

Suicide_Squid
Dec 20, 2007, 09:43 AM
I do the slicer/card combo too. You never stop throwing stuff! It's the most PP efficient thing you can do as an AF.

chibiLegolas
Dec 20, 2007, 01:21 PM
I like cards, but I still say it's awkward on my AF. My AF is so quick with melee, fighting with cards (especially since I'm upclose to mobs) seems to throw off my fighting style. I have to wait for it to swing upwards only to land on an enemy right in front of me? I find that I'm using my pistols more often when I'm that close up or shadoogs. Cards mostly seem useful when I'm backing off and not using my single melee weapon atm (which includes airborne critters). Or to just swing it once from afar, then run up to catch up to my cards and get into melee range. ><

To sit back and throw cards constantly makes me feel less of a fighter (We have GT for card thowing thank you). And makes me wonder how much of a fighter they intended AF's to be when giving them cards? They're too slow to be effective up close. We have this awesome EVA. I'm meant to fight up close, not hang back with slow, autotargeting guns, no? Give me mechguns to go with my melee please....
Instant damage to what's right in front of me.

SolomonGrundy
Dec 20, 2007, 01:32 PM
I chose nto to use cards as they don't feel right to me for the class. A rank shadoogs fire 3 times like a cards blades, and have higher SE levels. if I need more ranged power, I use twin handguns, or a pistol.

usmcbama
Dec 20, 2007, 01:34 PM
On 2007-12-20 10:21, chibiLegolas wrote:
Give me mechguns to go with my melee please....
Instant damage to what's right in front of me.

I do miss mechguns... well, I'll dust them off when I switch back to FG. As it is, I guess I'm just enjoying the novely of cards right now, as I've never played a class to use them before. And they ARE great on "flying critters", esp. those dang duckbill dragons on dancing birds (confuse is great XD).

Criss
Dec 30, 2007, 08:00 PM
Well, as someone who's been playing a Beast GT and never, ever changed class on that character, I can say that cards are amazing, at least from a GT's standpoint. And I can imagine they'd still be great on an AF since the extra ATP would make up for the loss of 10 bullet levels.

I think cards would be great with a slicer. Shoot, and start hacking away with the slicer while the card homes in on target.

Laranas
Dec 30, 2007, 09:03 PM
On 2007-12-19 17:05, Pengfishh wrote:
I carry four with me. Love love love cards.

HaydenX
Dec 30, 2007, 09:52 PM
Cards are great. I used to carry two of them with me (a regas and ageha-senba). Now that I've switched to PT, I can't use them though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif.

I personally prefer Shadoogs as an AF though. (fire SE3).

Shiro_Ryuu
Dec 31, 2007, 01:32 PM
On 2007-12-30 17:00, Criss wrote:
Well, as someone who's been playing a Beast GT and never, ever changed class on that character, I can say that cards are amazing, at least from a GT's standpoint. And I can imagine they'd still be great on an AF since the extra ATP would make up for the loss of 10 bullet levels.

I think cards would be great with a slicer. Shoot, and start hacking away with the slicer while the card homes in on target.

Yeah, I use that Slicer + Card combo, I fling stuff with one hand and I fling stuff with the other, its pretty awesome.

NeoTeppin
Jan 2, 2008, 03:57 PM
Personally i prefer the shadoogs, not only due to the higher SE but because that even while i attack with the slicer, or any other 1 handed wep, they attack too. And since shadoogs are ranged if somethings melee resistant, the shadoog will still to dmg to it, as well as my slicer. No matter how i look at it, the shadoog seems to have a bit of an advantage over the card.

Pretty much u should consider the cards pros and cons.
Pros:
Auto-aim
High dmg

Cons:
Low SE
Cant attack with both weps at same time

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NeoTeppin on 2008-01-02 12:58 ]</font>

kyle21
Jan 2, 2008, 07:36 PM
I find the cards to be great once they are lv11+. It just gives me something else to do and something else to lv besides just melee. And considering AF is a single handed weapon class it only makes sense to have 1 or 2 in your inventory, why not?

Another advantage of cards is in the end you use less charges cause while you use your card your wep regens PP and vise versa.