PDA

View Full Version : PSU or PSO ???

Naberius
Dec 19, 2007, 11:35 PM
Its seems that Phantasy Star Universe is slowly converting into a new PSO,in fact,i like the idea.. Mix the 2 of them will result in a better product and AoI is the begining...
PSP will have a PSU,can we expect a future title for PS3?

Desecration
Dec 19, 2007, 11:39 PM
I wouldn't count on a title for the PS3, I would assume Sega would just drop the playstation version all together.

TranceZiggy
Dec 19, 2007, 11:46 PM
I was expecting another frakin PSU vs PSO ZOMFG WHICH R BETTER topic <.<

Sinue_v2
Dec 20, 2007, 01:27 AM
Eh, I'd be happier if PSU would stand or fall on it's own. Too many cheap and insulting throwbacks to the original series, and the closer and closer it gets to PSO - the less oppertunity it has to develop it's own mythos and become well loved in it's own right. PSU may end up being seen as nothing more than a "bridge" project between PSO and Sega's next online Phantasy Star title. PSO 2.0.

If the trend continues, hopefully the next Phantasy Star project will be an amazing title and redeem this mess. Phantasy Star has always had horrible luck with threes. (PSIII, PSO Ep III, and PSU being the third series in the franchise, etc)

F-Gattaca
Dec 20, 2007, 02:15 AM
I've probably asked this in the past, but I'm going to ask it again right now:

During development and during the launch of PSU Ep. 1, was there any indication from the devs that PSU is not meant to be linked to PSO or the PSC series in any way?

Otherwise, with respect to the people who complain about the throwbacks to PSO and PSC, I would point out the U in PSU. It seemed to hint that, like Turn A Gundam and Final Fantasy 9, this game would relate in some way to everything else Phantasy Star that came before it.

Zorafim
Dec 20, 2007, 02:20 AM
As many things from PSO are being thrown into PSU, PSU is still in no danger of becoming PSO 2. The gameplay is noticeably different (Which, is kind of a bad thing really...), the overall style of the game is different, the lore is different... I doubt throwing some fan service from older games is really going to change any of this.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Dec 20, 2007, 02:24 AM
On 2007-12-19 23:20, Zorafim wrote:
The gameplay is noticeably different (Which, is kind of a bad thing really...)

Oh yeah, PSO's gameplay was so stellar.

DoubleJG
Dec 20, 2007, 02:28 AM
On 2007-12-19 23:24, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:

The gameplay is noticeably different (Which, is kind of a bad thing really...)

Oh yeah, PSO's gameplay was so stellar.

Truth = win.

Chuck_Norris
Dec 20, 2007, 02:51 AM
The gameplay is noticeably different (Which, is kind of a bad thing really...),

How so? The gameplay is much faster paced in PSU. And there's more veriety in your attacks. In PSO, every attack used the same animation. And you can level up PA's to get more attacks. Seems more like an RPG.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Norris on 2007-12-19 23:52 ]</font>

AnamanaAU
Dec 20, 2007, 03:06 AM
God yeah, compared to PSU, PSO is so slow and boring. I'm not going to let nostalgia flaw my logic. Going back to PSO now feels like a slow and monotonous chore.

Xefi
Dec 20, 2007, 03:16 AM
i dont mine if they add some ep.4 areas: the desert with Kondrieu. PSO's gameplay does show its age. Slow. PSU is just getting better and better as more updates are heading our ways. Be patient and wait a little longer.

SolRiver
Dec 20, 2007, 03:22 AM
Keep your strengths and improve upon it. PSU+PSO all the way.

F-Gattaca
Dec 20, 2007, 03:44 AM
PSO's gameplay is a good change of pace occasionally, but I still much prefer how PSU is, especially with the inclusion of Just Attack and recent rebalancing ... if you don't count the slicers. We won't talk about those.

But still--I find PSU's gameplay to be a lot more involving than PSO's, and with much more variety in available weapons, ways to use those weapons, and type/race/gender mixing.

Going back to PSO, I notice one major thing ... people run in that game as if they were wearing flippers. Not just the animations, but the speed of it; PSU's movement and control of such has much more going for it, even if I were to act like a nitprick (typo intentional) and nag about certain things.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-12-20 00:47 ]</font>

darkante
Dec 20, 2007, 03:52 AM
I miss using Slicers on PSO.

The way they home in every way..itīs awesome.

Other then that, the only thing i really miss using is my overpowered force. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
You could be miles away and still hit enemies or just use a area attack effect which reached through rooms..safe from danger lol.

Sinue_v2
Dec 20, 2007, 06:05 AM
Point being, if they weren't so intent on throwing in Forest, Caves, Mines, Ruins into PSU - maybe they'd have more resources to develop NEW bosses rather than just reskinning a bunch of old bosses and not even bothering to change the attack patterns on them as mentioned in another thread. Perhaps if they weren't binding themsevles to gold-mining the classic PS series for storyline points - they could come up with their own unique and engaging storyline rather than coming off as a half-assed fanservice me-too.

Some things I can understand, like Boomas in Neudaiz. That's fine. I don't consider them a particularly noteworthy enemy worthy of adding to the cross-over beastiary, but whatever. Delsabers were a MUCH better choice for a unique PSO enemy to transfer over IMO, and I'm glad they're continuing on with classics like Grass Assassins and Rappies. But to the lengths PSU has taken some of it's "borrowing" from previous games just weakens the whole endevor overall.

Zorafim
Dec 20, 2007, 06:56 AM
On 2007-12-20 03:05, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Point being, if they weren't so intent on throwing in Forest, Caves, Mines, Ruins into PSU - maybe they'd have more resources to develop NEW bosses rather than just reskinning a bunch of old bosses and not even bothering to change the attack patterns on them as mentioned in another thread. Perhaps if they weren't binding themsevles to gold-mining the classic PS series for storyline points - they could come up with their own unique and engaging storyline rather than coming off as a half-assed fanservice me-too.

I doubt it. I really do.

As for gameplay, I was more talking about stage advancement. The whole "spending time in one maze, cleaning it out, then moving on to another one with a slightly different atmosphere, then ending with a boss fight" seems much nicer than the whole "slaughter a bunch of monsters in a linear area, make sure you get every last one of them, don't die, and by the way here's a boss" we've been getting. Though I do have to say, I really dislike how slow PAs are, and how monster movements are so random and unpredictable. It really makes the game into more of a spamfest and less of a strategic advancement.

Saigan
Dec 20, 2007, 09:24 AM
I think that PSU actually has the better gameplay but PSO had far better balance. Personally, I'd like to see both continue on as their own series.

GutsGO
Dec 20, 2007, 09:32 AM
On 2007-12-19 23:15, F-Gattaca wrote:
I've probably asked this in the past, but I'm going to ask it again right now:

During development and during the launch of PSU Ep. 1, was there any indication from the devs that PSU is not meant to be linked to PSO or the PSC series in any way?

Otherwise, with respect to the people who complain about the throwbacks to PSO and PSC, I would point out the U in PSU. It seemed to hint that, like Turn A Gundam and Final Fantasy 9, this game would relate in some way to everything else Phantasy Star that came before it.

In the interview with Sonic Team for the EGM preview back 2 years ago, the developers said that this is a standalone series and has no ties to the original or Online games. They said the only thing you will see is nods to past games for nostalgia's sake.

doubleEXP
Dec 20, 2007, 09:56 AM
I will always have great memories of PSO. It was my first online rpg and it was a blast. I still remember that first Friday in late January 2001. The servers were packed with Americans and Japanese players. The Japanese players had been playing since December 2000. One of them, a HUne named A'', showed me and two others around. It was a blast. It lead to years of fun online adventures.

But, time moves on. In almost every way ~ especially since the launch of AotI ~ PSU has exceeded PSO. Doesn't mean I don't like PSO or that I'll ever forget how much fun I had playing PSO. But PSU is a better game, imo, and it should be. The main thing is the combat engine, which is the heart of both games. The PSU engine is so much more fluid.

Take Military Subway, for example. If that was done PSO-style then all the casts would simply converge on you, occasionally doing figure eights in their approach pattern, and you would trade 3-hit combos with them (and, at times, sidestep) until it was over. In PSU some of the enemy RA's set up and fire from range (trying to lock you down) while the infantry and melee units converge for hand-to-hand combat. Often times your opponents will jump out of the way if you approach them head-on, and meanwhile the RA units continue to redeploy and look for better angles to shoot from. And your character, meanwhile is able to (unlike in PSO) run around while fighting and to use PA's that can launch you into the air and then bring down hits in multiple angles (provided you aim and time things just right). Its so much more involved, and its a welcome change.

Also, if you have a good pc and a good graphics card, then PSU blows PSO out of the water, visually. I am fortunate and am able to run PSU at 1280 x 1024 with all settings maxed (including having every player and monster cast realistic shadows) and it runs at a rock-solid 60 dps. Its visually stunning.

Also, don't forget how cool the Room feature is. It is so cool to have a room to host a shop in and to meet with friends in. People in other online rpg's (including WoW) wish they had that feature.

PSO was awesome for its time, a landmark game imho. PSU is still young, but its already well past what PSO was capable of, and its still growing.

Reipard
Dec 20, 2007, 10:01 AM
PSU is leaps and bounds over PSO in terms of gameplay, monster AI and environment variation.

PSO is better thematically and has better structured missions. Mainly because if you wanted the 'lol clear all monsters' type runs you could just go into the areas of your own free will.

I've a feeling PSU is still getting all those out of the way before we get more stuff like Bruce's Dungeon and Her Secret Mission.

Cracka_J
Dec 20, 2007, 10:28 AM
On 2007-12-20 06:56, doubleEXP wrote:
Also, if you have a good pc and a good graphics card, then PSU blows PSO out of the water, visually. I am fortunate and am able to run PSU at 1280 x 1024 with all settings maxed (including having every player and monster cast realistic shadows) and it runs at a rock-solid 60 dps. Its visually stunning.

PSO was awesome for its time, a landmark game imho. PSU is still young, but its already well past what PSO was capable of, and its still growing.

Edited some of your post out, but I agree with ya 100%. If you are capable of runnin this game on high graphic settings with 0 frameskip, and double the lod to 64bit, you are in for some hi-speed visual eyecandy. PSO never looked as good as AOI. However, I do understand they were different times, different hardware, etc...I'm not bashing pso. Gameplay wise, they are 2 entirely different games. IMO psu gives you many more combat options to tailor to your personal style, more choices in character creation, and a broader spectrum of things your character can do to support a team.

Sadly though in this community it seems the complainers always have the loudest voices, while us people that are content and happy with the game in it's current state don't complain and go unheard.

Just sayin there are a lot of people who enjoy aoi as much or more then we did with pso, and simply put, do not post here because of all the bs and complainers. Both games are great in their own right, and I think a lot of us can agree that aoi was a vast improvement, and a great game. Hopefully ST can build on this foundation they made with aoi.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cracka_J on 2007-12-20 07:55 ]</font>

F-Gattaca
Dec 20, 2007, 10:47 AM
On 2007-12-20 06:32, GutsGO wrote:
In the interview with Sonic Team for the EGM preview back 2 years ago, the developers said that this is a standalone series and has no ties to the original or Online games. They said the only thing you will see is nods to past games for nostalgia's sake.

I see.

Two years ago, though? That'd put it a year prior to PSU's launch, yeah? It feels as if their plans have changed significantly leading up to the release of PSU.

I mean, think back to the original announcement trailer. The man we now know as Ethan Waber had long hair. Tonnio appeared to be Leo Berafort's son, and Leo himself seemed to be more of a musclebound heavy bruiser than the levelheaded wise "Big Guy" we know him as.

Actually, that has me wondering. Ya'll know the soundtrack to PSU? Listen to the tracks named "Obhel Dallgun," "Mirei," and "Alfort Tylor."

Notice that in the announcement trailer, the people we've come to know as Ethan Waber, Mirei Mikuna, and Leo Berafort are prominently featured.

Tis is just a what if and is me talking out the rear serial port here ... but what if those three songs were originally character themes for main party members? What if Ethan Waber was originally named Obhel Dallgun and Leo Berafort was named Alfort Tylor?

Wasn't Odin from Phantasy Star 1 named Tylor or Tyrone in the original Japanese game?

Is anyone else getting the supicion that Obhel, Mirei, and Alfort were meant to be the main characters of the party for whatever storyline Sega had going back then?

zandra117
Dec 20, 2007, 01:57 PM
PSO is better than PSU and reviews show it.

PSO Xbox (lowest rated reviewed version of PSO)
IGN rating = 8.5 out of 10
Reader Average = 8.6 out of 10 (1044 ratings)
Press Average = 8.4 out of 10 (25 press ratings)
Overall Average = 8.5 out of 10

Since games get old over time lets subtract .5 from the overall average per year that went past untill PSU was released. PSOX was released in 2003, PSU was released in 2006, that is a difference of 3 years. 3 x .5 = 1.5
8.5 - 1.5 = 7

Now since PSOX had an "excellent" score at launch I will give it .3 bonus points that leaves it at 7.3 out of 10 if it was reviewed today. Also I want to point out that PSO DC ver.2 got an 8.7 overall average when it was released in 2001 and every Phantasy Star Online game released since (over a 4 year period, even PSO episode 3) has remained in the 8s. PSO DC ver.1 released in early 2001 got a 9.0 "outstanding" overall average at launch.

PSU all versions averaged together
IGN rating = 6.7 out of 10
Reader Average = 7.9 out of 10 (666 ratings)
Press Average = 6.7 out of 10 (23 press ratings)
Overall Average = 7.1 out of 10

PSU Ambition of the Illuminus all versions averaged together
Reader Average = 6.8 out of 10 (61 ratings)
Overall Average = 6.8 out of 10

The PSU series average rating = 7.0 out of 10 "good"

There is my proof that PSO is better than PSU based off of player reviews and press reviews.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2007-12-20 11:04 ]</font>

Turambar
Dec 20, 2007, 02:06 PM
I thought we were in agreement that the reviews of PSU don't really represent the game that well.

zandra117
Dec 20, 2007, 02:12 PM
On 2007-12-20 11:01, Thanubis wrote:

On 2007-12-20 10:57, zandra117 wrote:
Reader Average = 7.9 out of 10 (666 ratings)Proof that PSU is evil(?)

I lol'd when I saw that too, I went to every version of PSU's page on IGN and added together all the ratings.
PSU 360 = 366 ratings
PSU PS2 = 201 ratings
PSU PC = 99 ratings

366 + 201 + 99 = 666 ratings

zandra117
Dec 20, 2007, 02:14 PM
On 2007-12-20 11:06, Turambar wrote:
I thought we were in agreement that the reviews of PSU don't really represent the game that well.

Well user reviews = the opinion of the players so when they are averaged with the press reviews it equals the truth.

Ken_Silver
Dec 20, 2007, 02:19 PM
I see it this way. Sega is using the PSO throwbacks to lure people in. Come for PSO, Stay for PSU. The content of PSO stuff is not related to the PSU story at all (offically or story-wise) so the two can remain seperate at the same time. Fans of PSO can play their levels still, but those who are fans of PSU can enjoy their game without being forced to play the rehashed levels. And if you are like me, you can do both. So in that case everyone wins.

joluh
Dec 20, 2007, 02:29 PM
PSU is starting to seem better than PSO, I have to admit that being able to switch classes, having a ridiculous amount of weapons and PAs, and all the different outfits to choose from, not to mention a new race, and a bunch of othet new things PSO wouldn't stand a chance against, I think PSU is improving, and it's a pretty damn good game, people is just never pleased.

zandra117
Dec 20, 2007, 02:37 PM
PSO is what draws people in then most non-phanatics that come in are dissappointed.

They stay because:

A) They already payed the monthly fee so they might as well play for a month so their money doesn't go to waste.

B) They stay to see if the game will eventually stop sucking.

Aviendha
Dec 20, 2007, 03:11 PM
PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution

Cracka_J
Dec 20, 2007, 04:01 PM
On 2007-12-20 11:37, zandra117 wrote:
PSO is what draws people in then most non-phanatics that come in are dissappointed.

They stay because:

A) They already payed the monthly fee so they might as well play for a month so their money doesn't go to waste.

And yet you still probably do both, despite the rant about ratings/etc.
And why do you do it? It's not because of either of those reasons listed...
It's because at some point in time, no matter how much you are complaining, or how much you hate on the game in front of other users, you are having some level of fun. Hell, maybe your personal fun is derived from saying the game sucks, oh well...but you're still paying so you can go on and complain and get your level of enjoyment out of the game.

If you play games simply because of the ratings magazines or other players give them, you are a lost cause to begin with. Play the game yourself, find what you like/dislike about it then choose if you want to play it or not. If you enjoy it, great. If not, move on. You don't have to ruin the experience for the rest of us who really enjoy and believe it is a great game.

If I'm getting some level of enjoyment out of a game, I could care less what ratings it got from magazines or friends. My personal opinion outweighs all of theirs anyways...if I like something I will play it. That simple.

zandra117
Dec 20, 2007, 04:38 PM
On 2007-12-20 13:01, Cracka_J wrote:

On 2007-12-20 11:37, zandra117 wrote:

They stay because:

And yet you still probably do both, despite the rant about ratings/etc.
And why do you do it? It's not because of either of those reasons listed...
It's because at some point in time, no matter how much you are complaining, or how much you hate on the game in front of other users, you are having some level of fun. Hell, maybe your personal fun is derived from saying the game sucks, oh well...but you're still paying so you can go on and complain and get your level of enjoyment out of the game.

If you play games simply because of the ratings magazines or other players give them, you are a lost cause to begin with. Play the game yourself, find what you like/dislike about it then choose if you want to play it or not. If you enjoy it, great. If not, move on. You don't have to ruin the experience for the rest of us who really enjoy and believe it is a great game.

If I'm getting some level of enjoyment out of a game, I could care less what ratings it got from magazines or friends. My personal opinion outweighs all of theirs anyways...if I like something I will play it. That simple.

I did choice B untill just recently when the expansion got boring. People say "Just take a break and come back." I never had to take a break from PSO and it was always fun. Thats why we have nostalgia for PSO. PSU just outright sucks and Sega needs to try again. Bring on the real PSO 2.

Meanwhile I'm gonna get back into PSOX. Im not canceling PSU because I enjoy the events.

I just check the PSU forums to see whats up with the JP side of things and to see if there are any PSU events to take part in. The only thing keeping PSU alive at this point are the events. The weekly released content gets old within the week it was released, people only play it repeatedly because new stuff usually gives better mission rewards so they run it while waiting for something new.

All PSU is is a waiting game.

D1ABOLIK
Dec 20, 2007, 04:48 PM
I love both games. I prefer PSO. But everyone always tells me its cause of nostalgia but its not. There are alot of reasons. Things i love better about PSO-I prefer mags over partner machinery. I would rather find a weapon with a ? than find a board for a weapon. I prefer free roam areas over having every run be a mission. I prefer weapons with special effects as oppose to PA's and weapons having PP.You didnt have to have a wand out to cast a technique-Rifle out while throwing rafoie is pure win. PSO had an atmosphere that drew you in. The way the story was not thrown in your face, but givin to you in small pieces. It always left you wondering what was really going on. Like a good murder mystery book. The things i like better about PSU- The combat system is alot better, strafing while shooting, first person view for shooting. Having my own room to decorate and my own player shop. The graphics, (this is an unfair comparison though as PSU is alot newer and on next gen consoles). BUT, i love both games. Its not a contest people. I have both and play both all the time. Even the card revolution was really good if you like turn based. Long live PS!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: D1ABOLIK on 2007-12-20 13:50 ]</font>
________
Dodge 400 history (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_400)

zandra117
Dec 20, 2007, 04:55 PM
On 2007-12-20 13:48, D1ABOLIK wrote:
Its not a contest people.

I know its not a contest but PSU is an insult to the Phantasy Star series as a whole.

D1ABOLIK
Dec 20, 2007, 04:58 PM
On 2007-12-20 13:55, zandra117 wrote:

I know its not a contest but PSU is an insult to the Phantasy Star series as a whole.

I wouldnt go that far. Thats a bit extreme. Both have things better about them. PSO is better than PSU in ways and PSU is better than PSO in ways. I prefer PSO personally but i wouldnt consider PSU an "insult". EDIT : Although i cant stand the story from PSU ver.1. The whole seed thing is kinda lame and the cinematics are extra cheesy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: D1ABOLIK on 2007-12-20 13:59 ]</font>
________
BRAZILIAN RECIPES (http://www.cooking-chef.com/brazilian/)

VanHalen
Dec 20, 2007, 04:59 PM
On 2007-12-20 13:38, zandra117 wrote:

Meanwhile I'm gonna get back into PSOX.

You'll be the only one online http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

joluh
Dec 20, 2007, 05:18 PM

ORLY?

PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution

zandra117
Dec 20, 2007, 05:23 PM
On 2007-12-20 13:59, VanHalen wrote:

On 2007-12-20 13:38, zandra117 wrote:

Meanwhile I'm gonna get back into PSOX.

You'll be the only one online http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nope, about 30 people play it and after BB shuts down that number will probably increase to 40 because some people dont wanna play on the other server.

zandra117
Dec 20, 2007, 05:25 PM
On 2007-12-20 14:18, joluh wrote:

ORLY?

PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution

Nope, it got a higher rating among players and press than PSU. I played it and it was fun. It was just for a different audience.

VanHalen
Dec 20, 2007, 05:44 PM
On 2007-12-20 14:18, joluh wrote:

ORLY?

Nah, that was actually very fun. Great music also.

Anywho good luck with your 30 man server http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

zandra117
Dec 20, 2007, 05:45 PM
On 2007-12-20 14:25, zandra117 wrote:
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

lol no one else had done it yet...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2007-12-20 14:50 ]</font>

F-Gattaca
Dec 20, 2007, 06:03 PM
So wait a minute. Zandra believes that PSU is worse than PSO based on what IGN's reviewers and readers say?

It's good to know that the opinions of Everyone Else don't matter in deeming PSU's worth.

However, I do expect to see a similar pattern in other review sites. In fact, that's precisely what I did after seeing Zandra's post--I went out and looked at Metacritic.

The funny thing is, PSU has a favorable average among Metacritic users (even close to a 10 on the PS2 version!), but the critic reviews documented by Metacritic span a wide range of grades--from as high as 90 with some reviewers to as low as 40.

What would be instructive is to compare the reviews of both critics and gamers in Japan to the West, on both games. I've noticed that Metacritic does not seem to take Japanese reviews into account, and considering the disparity in popularity, I'm inclined to think PSU got much more love there than it did here.

Did PSO have the same time-release content plan that PSU has?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-12-20 15:04 ]</font>

zandra117
Dec 20, 2007, 06:25 PM
On 2007-12-20 15:03, F-Gattaca wrote:
So wait a minute. Zandra believes that PSU is worse than PSO based on what IGN's reviewers and readers say?

It's good to know that the opinions of Everyone Else don't matter in deeming PSU's worth.

Well IGN also links to reviews from the other popular gaming review sites "press reviews".

Also the reviews seemed to capture honest opinions from a varied userbase, If every player that reviewed PSU was dissing it and using the review submission to create a bawwfest then PSU would have had a player review score lower than the press and IGN's review which was not the case. The player reviews for PSU wasnt full of rainbows and smiles either as even though the average player rating was above the press rating it still was only 1 point higher than the press rating.

On 2007-12-20 15:03, F-Gattaca wrote:
Did PSO have the same time-release content plan that PSU has?

Yes it did, PSO episode 1 & 2 only had the basic 11 areas with 8 bosses and no quests to begin with. Then quests would be released once every 1 to 2 months usually 2 quests per update. It kept people playing largely without boredom for 5 years. Sometimes quests would release that alot of people didn't even know about because they didn't feel like they needed to wait for new stuff. People would only complain if Japan got something that we didn't get after the 2 month mark or if a holiday lasted too long.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2007-12-20 15:45 ]</font>

Tiyr
Dec 20, 2007, 06:50 PM
On 2007-12-20 03:05, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Some things I can understand, like Boomas in Neudaiz. That's fine. I don't consider them a particularly noteworthy enemy worthy of adding to the cross-over beastiary, but whatever. Delsabers were a MUCH better choice for a unique PSO enemy to transfer over IMO, and I'm glad they're continuing on with classics like Grass Assassins and Rappies. But to the lengths PSU has taken some of it's "borrowing" from previous games just weakens the whole endevor overall.

That's actually a very Phantasy Star thing for them to do. They all do that--they're all always referencing each other, borrowing from each other...Lassic / Lashiec comes back for PS IV, for example. And seriously, the three planets are "reskins" of the the three from the classic PS series, so it's no surprise they'd link them and put them together like this.

Honestly, it'd be odd if they didn't.

Jife_Jifremok
Dec 20, 2007, 07:10 PM
Um...the return of Lassic was an actual event that got put into the story, something that HAD to be done or else the Algol system (or at least just Dezolis) would be pretty much fucked. The Air Castle was found within the asteroid belt left by Palma. Remnants of Mother Brain's systems were found in PSIV, again actual parts of the story and BELIEVABLE ones at that. Things like that can be done because of actual story events within the same series.

PSU's "dimensional rift" homages are just...there. They say LOL PSO or LOL classic. Boomas look silly..didn't they look better than that in PSO? Same with Grass Assassins! Light Master Rutsu (Lutz?) was a total douche. Those heroine figures carved into certain parts of the Colony (the elevators I think?) remind me of Alis, but it feels as though the creators of PSU don't know what the spoon a Landale is. I'm just glad they didn't bastardize the LANDROVER with those gods-awful Strikers...

Of course, it's kinda hard to make non-tacked-on homages when they're pretty much completely different worlds altogether.

ngagerebel
Dec 20, 2007, 08:05 PM
HOW ABOUT A WII VERSION SEGA!!!!!!!!!!

superdood22
Dec 20, 2007, 08:44 PM
On 2007-12-19 23:51, Chuck_Norris wrote:

The gameplay is noticeably different (Which, is kind of a bad thing really...),

How so? The gameplay is much faster paced in PSU. And there's more veriety in your attacks. In PSO, every attack used the same animation. And you can level up PA's to get more attacks. Seems more like an RPG.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Norris on 2007-12-19 23:52 ]</font>
you use the same animations in this game too, dummy.

and PSO had much more variety for attacking (aka 6 buttons to use, plus you could use techs at any time, and fight bare handed). PSU doesnt nearly have as much choice as PSO had (2 buttons? lol).

and anyone would be lying through their teeth if they said PSO was whack/lame, you either have to be a dull person or a die hard PS fan to like PSU and its painfully slow updates (we all know whats coming out, so hacks revealing any s-ranks wouldnt really make a difference if thats what their tr ying to prevent).

once an s-rank is got, there really isnt anything unusual about it, people just look at it as the heat of the moment which isnt very exciting after a couple days and everyone gets used to it.

Updates just ruin the fullness of the game, like an example would be the consistent amount of people remaking their characters. The more shit that is released the more people need to constantly change and change until they can finally get to a decision/their liking and settle.

Its frustrating and true.

superdood22
Dec 20, 2007, 08:48 PM
And the whole paying money and having to wait for updates is even more bullshit, i mean this game should etleast have free online connection. ST just make terrible business plans, they sed "F*** it" and gave us this... lol.

Sychosis
Dec 20, 2007, 08:51 PM

Since games get old over time lets subtract .5 from the overall average per year that went past untill PSU was released. PSOX was released in 2003, PSU was released in 2006, that is a difference of 3 years. 3 x .5 = 1.5
8.5 - 1.5 = 7

Now since PSOX had an "excellent" score at launch I will give it .3 bonus points that leaves it at 7.3 out of 10 if it was reviewed today. Also I want to point out that PSO DC ver.2 got an 8.7 overall average when it was released in 2001 and every Phantasy Star Online game released since (over a 4 year period, even PSO episode 3) has remained in the 8s. PSO DC ver.1 released in early 2001 got a 9.0 "outstanding" overall average at launch.

There is my proof that PSO is better than PSU based off of player reviews and press reviews.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2007-12-20 11:04 ]</font>

WTF is this crap?

My proof that PSU is better than PSO:

PSOX review from 1up:
http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=2005923
1up score: 7.0
Average user review: 5.6

PSU review from 1up (X360):
http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3149779
1up score: 8.1
Average user review: 8.3

OMFG UNDENIABLE PROOF!!!1!

Jesus....some people...

superdood22
Dec 20, 2007, 08:57 PM
but 1up sucks, and hardly anyone knew about it on this forum until that suck ass event.

Sychosis
Dec 20, 2007, 08:59 PM
And I think IGN sucks, hell almost ALL reviewers suck. Why? Get this, people have different tastes! ZOMGWTF crazy! I know!

Konstanse_Xx
Dec 20, 2007, 09:13 PM
On 2007-12-20 17:59, Sychosis wrote:
And I think IGN sucks, hell almost ALL reviewers suck. Why? Get this, people have different tastes! ZOMGWTF crazy! I know!

You speak blasphemy. STOP WITH THESE LIES.

I like PSU more though, but yeah I don't mind the nostalgia in here, it's cool going ZOMG FLOWEN SWORD LOL. I don't personally care if they do bad reskins, I thought the new Dark Falz looked cool. But that's just me. XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Konstanse_Xx on 2007-12-20 18:16 ]</font>

KidoKresh
Dec 20, 2007, 09:18 PM
PSU waaaaaaaay better!

F-Gattaca
Dec 20, 2007, 09:27 PM
A lot of people listen to reviewers, though.

I think it falls on the people who love or at least enjoy PSU to feel like their money is worth it to spread the word, and perhaps clear up a few misconceptions. I bet a lot of people who hate PSU still think of it as having severely limited online content with a major hacking problem ... the people coming back for AotI and their shocked reactions to how much PSU has changed say as much.

I know I've managed to influence several people I know into playing PSU along with me, and they like it too!

zandra117
Dec 20, 2007, 09:28 PM
On 2007-12-20 17:51, Sychosis wrote:

8.5 - 1.5 = 7

WTF is this crap?

My proof that PSU is better than PSO:

PSOX review from 1up:
http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=2005923
1up score: 7.0
Average user review: 5.6

PSU review from 1up (X360):
http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3149779
1up score: 8.1
Average user review: 8.3

OMFG UNDENIABLE PROOF!!!1!

Jesus....some people...

Yeah but thats 1 review. I got several reviews and averaged their scores together along with a bunch of user reviews.

The press rating is the average score from other review sites and the reader average was user reviews, also 1up is not as big as IGN so IGN has many more users with a bigger variety of opinions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2007-12-20 18:32 ]</font>

Sychosis
Dec 20, 2007, 09:32 PM
On 2007-12-20 18:28, zandra117 wrote:

Yeah but thats 1 review. I got several reviews and averaged their scores together along with a bunch of user reviews.

Oh yes, I saw that. You took the abysmal PS2 review of AoI and averaged it with the much higher 360 review to bring down the score. How very fair of you.

Jife_Jifremok
Dec 20, 2007, 09:47 PM
Let's see...PSO with the shitty auto-targeting system, poor balancing, horribly limited customization...well at least it had good atmosphere.

PSU plays better and that's all that counts. Better movement and camera controls, VIABLE manual control for those who'd rather not lock-on, better customizability...just lousy atmosphere. Though the level designs are a lot more interesting, not feeling TOO much like a buncha rooms just pasted together.

I don't need any numbers telling me otherwise.

zandra117
Dec 20, 2007, 09:51 PM
PSU 360
IGN Review = 6.4
Reader Average = 7.6 (366 ratings)
Press Average = 7.0 (23 press ratings)
Overall Average 7.0

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/683/683256.html

360 by itself almost comes up with the same overall average except .1 point lower so I dont know what you are talking about bringing down the score.

On 2007-12-20 18:47, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
Let's see...PSO with the shitty auto-targeting system, poor balancing, horribly limited customization...well at least it had good atmosphere.

PSU plays better and that's all that counts. Better movement and camera controls, VIABLE manual control for those who'd rather not lock-on, better customizability...just lousy atmosphere. Though the level designs are a lot more interesting, not feeling TOO much like a buncha rooms just pasted together.

I don't need any numbers telling me otherwise.

Thats your opinion but the majority opinion prefers PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2007-12-20 18:58 ]</font>

SolomonGrundy
Dec 20, 2007, 09:59 PM
Some things work far better for PSO. For instance, the configurability of mats and mags to customise your characters.

that was cool, it was a mistake to drop it. Now every cast ranger is the same as another cast ranger(barring equipment), and that's a shame

It's nto all bad though: the synthing system (now), is a way beyond anything PSO had. People would just buy weapons with 50 hit from the shops, and that was pretty much it. Meseta was a joke as well.

Enemies are certainly more varied in PSU, but they were somehow more fun to defeat in PSO. Take all the different andriods types in AMF. Sure, sure, there are the knuckle driods, the saber driods, and the claw droids, but because they all move imposibly fast, and cannot be knocked out of thier attacks (UNLIKE the characters weplay), the best choice is to simply beat them down with the highest ATP weapon PA possible.

Compare that with deldepths (sp?), or delsabers, which required you use timing, or traps, to over come.

PSO *is* a much more basic game, but eloquent in it's complexity, and enjoyable to play even at a casual level. PSU is more varied, but unsubtle. I found PSO more addicting - and to my mind, that = better game.

Sychosis
Dec 20, 2007, 10:08 PM
On 2007-12-20 18:51, zandra117 wrote:
PSU 360
IGN Review = 6.4
Reader Average = 7.6 (366 ratings)
Press Average = 7.0 (23 press ratings)
Overall Average 7.0

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/683/683256.html

360 by itself almost comes up with the same overall average except .1 point lower so I dont know what you are talking about bringing down the score.

On 2007-12-20 18:32, Sychosis wrote:
Oh yes, I saw that. You took the abysmal PS2 review of AoI and averaged it with the much higher 360 review to bring down the score. How very fair of you.

Seira7
Dec 20, 2007, 10:22 PM
PSO *is* a much more basic game, but eloquent in it's complexity, and enjoyable to play even at a casual level. PSU is more varied, but unsubtle. I found PSO more addicting - and to my mind, that = better game.

Yea. PSO had that something-something that made it classic...hard to follow up on a cult game though. They have done a relatively good job with PSU, and SEGA seems intent on improving things *shrug* I just play PSO offline, cheat-free...the best thing I like about PSU (360) is there is no cheating to taint the game.

One thing I DONT want back from PSO is everyone ended up using whatever was easier/overpowered (ie 50% blabblah vulcans) and ignoring weaker weapon types. Its a dungeon crawler for godssake make variety count.
Just Attack was a great addition but alienated techers and rangers a bit, what Id like to see is all weapon types have usefulness for "hunters" and not have slicers be the new 50% hit blah blah vulcans...

Im really impressed with the new levels and their detail. Music is nicer. More to do *casino)...I will be a super happy camper if balance issues continue to be addressed though. (and when I get PSO music for My Room XD)

Sekani
Dec 22, 2007, 08:58 AM
I'm gonna write a wikipedia article on zandra117, then link to it here as undeniable proof that he's an idiot.

Drithe
Dec 22, 2007, 09:24 AM
At first I thought I would HATE PSU. The game was just boring to me. But as the patches came this game really grew on me. Even though sega is dragging everything out (aka letting us gain 10 more levels to 200 every 3 months and adding appropriate weapons, items, ect....)in order for us to keep paying, this game just keeps getting better and better.
PSO was a fast paced game that dropped alot of rares and was easy to play. But it was limited. IMO PSU is a FAR BETTER GAME because of weapon and mage PA's and way too many other ideas that are implemented in this game that I dont care to get into.

This game = pwn. In my humble opinion.
End of Line.

chokeitdown
Dec 22, 2007, 09:36 AM
The only review that means a goddamn thing about a game is the review YOU give it. Who gives two shits in the wind if it reviewed poorly? Is it fun? Fuck the reviews.

necman
Dec 23, 2007, 12:52 AM
On 2007-12-22 05:58, Sekani wrote:
I'm gonna write a wikipedia article on zandra117, then link to it here as undeniable proof that he's an idiot.

There is proof of idiocy here but who will the proof be for. I played pso for almost 2 years before I got tired of it and did not play psu for the entire 6 month package I payed for. Psu is so horrible offline I gave pso another chance and found it to be less enjoyable in many areas. Atmosphere not being one of them. The community was just way better back then or I had more patience. At the end of pso the community was horrible and disconnects from game sharks totally ruined what little was left of the game. I'm not sure if it's timing or memory fade but I believe psu to still be the better even if nobody proved anything other then they can bash someone elses opinions. The only one who gave a good reply was zandra117 who at least gave some info into his or her opinion. This is what makes this game so weak is the community which in an online game is your most important feature.