PDA

View Full Version : WideSpread Profanity.

MUDGRIP
Dec 20, 2007, 06:53 PM
Ive been jumping into a lot of public games as of late and have been noticing a widespread use of profanity being tossed around as if its ok to use that type of tongue. So if we can as a whole; please hold back on the profanity please...thank you.

p.s. i have kids in the room/net_gov.alldayonallday

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MUDGRIP on 2007-12-20 15:54 ]</font>

bahk
Dec 20, 2007, 06:56 PM
Welcome to the internet. Enjoy your stay.

gryphonvii
Dec 20, 2007, 06:57 PM
there is no way to stop profanityas people like cursing and many people who play the game know nothing about this site (kinda sad I still get ??? when I mention pso) But if you don't want to hear it then turn down the volume or connect a mic so that the voices don't get through the speaker. If the profanity is in text then I don't know what to do.

BeastlyMike
Dec 20, 2007, 07:00 PM
On 2007-12-20 15:53, MUDGRIP wrote:
Ive been jumping into a lot of public games as of late and have been noticing a widespread use of profanity being tossed around as if its ok to use that type of tongue. So if we can as a whole; please hold back on the profanity please...thank you.

p.s. i have kids in the room/net_gov.alldayonallday

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MUDGRIP on 2007-12-20 15:54 ]</font>

Are you Christian? or are the kids in the room Christian? and do you want to hit up COD4 and stop putting C4 deposite on my skull while im sniping. Thank you.

Midicronica
Dec 20, 2007, 07:07 PM
On 2007-12-20 15:56, bahk wrote:

BeastlyMike
Dec 20, 2007, 07:07 PM
On 2007-12-20 15:57, gryphonvii wrote:
there is no way to stop profanityas people like cursing and many people who play the game know nothing about this site (kinda sad I still get ??? when I mention pso) But if you don't want to hear it then turn down the volume or connect a mic so that the voices don't get through the speaker. If the profanity is in text then I don't know what to do.

You should probably grab your wireless Xbox 360 controller and smash that shit into the Tele V. And if that dosn't work you should probably get the Jaws of Life and cut your ethernet cord clean off.

F-Gattaca
Dec 20, 2007, 07:09 PM
On 2007-12-20 16:00, BeastlyMike wrote:
Are you Christian? or are the kids in the room Christian? and do you want to hit up COD4 and stop putting C4 deposite on my skull while im sniping. Thank you.

And what, praytell, does Christianity have to do with civil discourse?

Or are you just rambling incoherently and letting your prejudices slip?

BeastlyMike
Dec 20, 2007, 07:10 PM
On 2007-12-20 16:09, F-Gattaca wrote:

On 2007-12-20 16:00, BeastlyMike wrote:

And what, praytell, does Christianity have to do with civil discourse?

Or are you just rambling incoherently and letting your prejudices slip?

Excuse me but as mudgrip said he has kids in the room could you keep down on the vulgar language.

Jife_Jifremok
Dec 20, 2007, 07:22 PM
Maybe you should give your kids some lessons on vulgarity. When it's appropriate to swear (if at all), WHAT words are swears even, perhaps the meanings of some swears, why they shouldn't be so vulgar, and not to judge people just by how much they swear. Rather than just shield them from it all, educate them.

Anatra
Dec 20, 2007, 07:34 PM
On 2007-12-20 16:22, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
Maybe you should give your kids some lessons on vulgarity. When it's appropriate to swear (if at all), WHAT words are swears even, perhaps the meanings of some swears, why they shouldn't be so vulgar, and not to judge people just by how much they swear. Rather than just shield them from it all, educate them.

...Amen

ThEoRy
Dec 20, 2007, 07:46 PM
On 2007-12-20 16:08, BeastlyMike wrote:

On 2007-12-20 16:07, Midicronica wrote:

On 2007-12-20 15:56, bahk wrote:

Who the fuck said you could quote him?

Who said that he couldn't?

Hath_Wrobo
Dec 20, 2007, 07:46 PM
What is a swear word? Honestly, who invented them, or specifically, who invented the idea to call certain words offensive? It's not really the word that's offensive, it's the meaning behind it. So why isn't anyone offended by the word hate? Murder? Kill? Steal? Lying? Why isn't the word hate more offensive than shit, which is simply another word for a natural solid waste or an organism?

I have a better idea, instead of asking the world to change based on the illusion that certain words are bad or dirty, why don't you just accept the fact that bad words are simply another way of saying a word, and shouldn't be offensive at all. I honestly find it mind boggling how society can believe that saying hell instead of heck, or butt instead of ass has any effect in changing the meaning.

Frick you, you penis-sucking buttface!

StanleyPain
Dec 20, 2007, 07:53 PM
I wonder if the OP is talking about text, because I've noticed lately there's something up with the filter and people are not even bypassing it...it's just going out uncensored.

ngagerebel
Dec 20, 2007, 07:57 PM
LMAO... welcome to the world wide web of imature people

littleman2347
Dec 20, 2007, 07:58 PM
Society dictates that these words are bad. Words mean nothing just what is backing what is said like Hath said there just a short cut to a long sentence. If some one is cursing just blacklist them if you get the chance, but people are going to curse because there vocabulary is small you can help it.

Jife_Jifremok
Dec 20, 2007, 08:02 PM
Hey, not everyone swears due to a limited vocabulary. I happen to have quite a lot of words at my disposal...but in an online game, I've found few reasons to use words like dung, excrement, blast, confound, darn, etc in the place of words like shit or damn.

Biollante
Dec 20, 2007, 08:07 PM
maybe it's time to play hello kitty island adventure

Turambar
Dec 20, 2007, 08:10 PM

It's easy enough to say that. But much harder to actually do, especially when they're very young and don't really understand the concepts you're trying to explain. While yes, it is better to educate them, until they can fully understand, shielding is perhaps more effective if you don't want them randomly cursing.

And on a separate note, exactly what does verbal etiquette have to do with Christianity?

bahk
Dec 20, 2007, 08:19 PM
If they're old enough to be able to read it from your monitor, they're old enough to be hearing it 20 times a day at school.

Or if you're playing it on 360, just play another game for 20 hours straight and brick the system. Now they won't hear those bad words anymore. Except everywhere else.

Kiata
Dec 20, 2007, 08:19 PM
I agree with there should ve less swearing in the games but theres no way to stop it its always going to happen. I was always taught that swearing is a lack of inteligence but when you got 10 year olds cussing out there parents and no one will punish them cause its wrong to hit children your going to end up with the enternet swearing. Would be nice to see it toned down a bit though.

Jife_Jifremok
Dec 20, 2007, 08:21 PM
On 2007-12-20 17:10, Turambar wrote:

It's easy enough to say that. But much harder to actually do, especially when they're very young and don't really understand the concepts you're trying to explain. While yes, it is better to educate them, until they can fully understand, shielding is perhaps more effective if you don't want them randomly cursing.

And on a separate note, exactly what does verbal etiquette have to do with Christianity?

Then I can only advise keeping children away from parts of the Internet ill-suited for children. That's a far more effective form of shielding than telling some random bunch of older people to stop talking how they please.

Biollante
Dec 20, 2007, 08:27 PM
this is one of the most pointless threads out there. Funny, but pointless. you're going to have to toss out all your tv's and radios, home school your kids, and NEVER EVER let them hang out with anyone, if you want to have a chance at them not hearing some good ol' cuss words... like ham wallet, or squish mitten, oyster ditch or bitch wrinkle.

KodiaX987
Dec 20, 2007, 10:26 PM
You don't go on the Internet with kids around you.

It's like asking the village idiot to stand next to a red button marked "DO NOT PRESS THIS BUTTON" for 6 hours straight.

A kid heard a word he knows he shouldn't say? Get your shit together, man, 'cause that kid of yours is gonna be yappin' it every fucking opportunity he gets. Do you shove your kid in a sex shop? Do you carry him into a rerun of Die Hard II? No? Then what's he doing on the Internet?

Ironically, those whom I encounter who end up cussing the most are... kids. Call me a faggot, a fucking asshole or a giant asswipe? I can guarantee you that the guy is under 16 years old. What they have in quality, they don't in quality. They sure love to call me names all the time, but it's quite far from the sheer finesse of Gunnery Sargeant Hartmann.

Why attempt to solve a problem that affects kids and is caused by kids? You can rest assured that no matter how much you ask people to keep it clean in every channel ever, your kid will find a way to cuss anyway. It's what a kid does. I learned how to say fuck, shit and ass in elementary school, back when Internet Explorer didn't even exist.

CelestialBlade
Dec 21, 2007, 12:29 AM
What the fuck is cussing?

It's all about context.

Gryffin
Dec 21, 2007, 03:14 AM
Its not cussing. It's getting a point across without pulling a gun to someone's head or a knife to there throat.

You have to think, would you rather someone exert emotion through words or actions?

MrNomad
Dec 21, 2007, 09:50 AM
On 2007-12-21 00:14, Gryffin wrote:
Its not cussing. It's getting a point across without pulling a gun to someone's head or a knife to there throat.

You have to think, would you rather someone exert emotion through words or actions?

True, although the cool minds can use other bigger, less assaulting phrases than shit to get their point across, but then thats not what this topic is about http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Schubalts
Dec 21, 2007, 10:55 AM
On 2007-12-20 17:27, Biollante wrote:
this is one of the most pointless threads out there. Funny, but pointless. you're going to have to toss out all your tv's and radios, home school your kids, and NEVER EVER let them hang out with anyone, if you want to have a chance at them not hearing some good ol' cuss words... like ham wallet, or squish mitten, oyster ditch or bitch wrinkle.

Hahaha. Learned some new euphemisms today!

Noblewine
Dec 21, 2007, 01:00 PM
Impossible it can't be helped.