PDA

View Full Version : PSU: Maybe it's time to move on..

TetsuyaHikari
Dec 23, 2007, 09:59 PM
Before I begin, I'd like to just state that..I would appreciate it if people keep this as a serious discussion instead of just replying back with a flame or some sort of, "lololol get a life noob" reply. Thanks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Alright, well..I started playing PSU back in June and I was playing it day after day for countless hours at a time. During October, I finally decided to take a break from it for a week. I came back and everything was alright.

Well..for the past few days though, I've been kind of bored with the game, honestly. I mean..my main has been level 110 since the 6th or so and sure, when the cap raises..I can get to 120, but that won't do much really. I'll just be sitting there waiting for the cap to rise once more.

A lot of the enemies seem too easy now and the bosses are all rehashes of existing ones. How original is that? Not to mention..they brought back De Rol Le instead of giving us something new. Oh, and let's not forget Motherbrain who has the same model as Fakis, the same intro, the same dying animation, and even some of the same attacks.

I'm honestly just not feeling as enthusiastic about the game these days. I used to be like, "PSU is awesome!" and I'd sign on, but these days I'm like, "Meh..I guess I'll play..". I don't feel very excited about signing on anymore.

I've also pushed back a lot of other games because of this one. I have 50+ titles piled up that I haven't played or finished yet. So, right now..I'm asking myself, "Why should I put forth hours into PSU and not accomplish much at all and do the same things over and over when instead..I could go try out that new game and do all sorts of things I've never seen or experienced before?".

So, all-in-all..I'm just curious if anybody else has felt this way recently or in the past about the game. I'm not creating this thread to hope someone persuades me into not quitting, since I've pretty much already decided. I just want to hear from those who feel the same or state reasons why you have decided to stick around.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Randomness
Dec 23, 2007, 10:08 PM
Well, generally, when I get bored of playing, I switch to an alt to get a different playstyle.

Or I stop playing PSU for a bit and pick up another game until I feel like playing PSU again.

ljkkjlcm9
Dec 23, 2007, 10:16 PM
anyone who plays an online game as their Primary Game, either is way too into it in the first place, or they will get bored of it. I get bored with this game all the time, and it's only when friends come back and such that I really start to enjoy it again. Thankfully, I have my DS and Wii to entertain me otherwise, and when I get Fire Emblem for my Wii this christmas, I'll be playing that a lot.

THE JACKEL

VanHalen
Dec 24, 2007, 12:58 AM
I don't really get tired of PSU maybe since I never capped a character or capped a PA. Though I do get tired of the slowdown I get when I play in teams of 5-6 people. Actually >_>;, I get slowdown either way which pisses me off when playing which causes me to stop for a bit. Otherwise I still love play this game.

Shadow_Wing
Dec 24, 2007, 02:15 AM
On 2007-12-23 19:08, Randomness wrote:
Well, generally, when I get bored of playing, I switch to an alt to get a different playstyle.

Or I stop playing PSU for a bit and pick up another game until I feel like playing PSU again.

joluh
Dec 24, 2007, 02:47 AM
You could always try other classes with your character, or finding rares, I don't think the level cap is all that there's to PSU. Or you could play one of your 50+ games.

Umberger
Dec 24, 2007, 03:53 AM
Eh, I get bored of this game time to time, but it's definitely the best interactive chat room I've ever used.

VanHalen
Dec 24, 2007, 04:00 AM
On 2007-12-23 23:47, joluh wrote:
You could always try other classes with your character.

That works pretty well too. I got bored of playing on my main who is a Fortefighter. I then switched him to Protranser and I'm having alot more fun on him. I think I have a soft spot for hybrid classes.

On 2007-12-24 00:53, Umberger wrote:
it's definitely the best interactive chat room I've ever used.

Indeed. Best 10 dollars a month I spent just talking to random people and not doing missions period.

Shadow_Wing
Dec 24, 2007, 05:49 AM
On 2007-12-24 01:00, VanHalen wrote:

On 2007-12-24 00:53, Umberger wrote:
it's definitely the best interactive chat room I've ever used.

Indeed. Best 10 dollars a month I spent just talking to random people and not doing missions period.

So god dam true, all online games generally end up like this cause all of them have the same shit different day sort of feel to them after a while. Can't count the times where I log on, say hi and just spend the entire day talking about junk.

Darkly
Dec 24, 2007, 12:18 PM
lets not forget it is just a game afterall - it's something you do when you have spare time - play to relax, its not your life.

Chuck_Norris
Dec 24, 2007, 02:36 PM
Well Saber. If you just play a game like that non-stop, it gets boring. Go try some other games, go outside, watch some TV (Walker Texas Ranger). Then once you're used to those other games, come back to PSU, and it'll seem new to you. You need to take a break from online games every once in a while.

TetsuyaHikari
Dec 24, 2007, 03:00 PM
Well, I did take a break back in October and when I came back, it felt new, but..a few weeks later, it felt old again. Sure, I got AOI a little after the release date, but once I finished all those missions, I was like, "Yay...now what..?".

I started an AT recently to keep the game a little new to me, but after a while, that will get old too. I think some of these areas need to be a bit more expansive and vast. Much like Zorafim put in one of his posts, "It's like walking through a house".

The level is design is kind of..bleh..and repetitive. There's not much to it. You don't go down to the next floor or up to the next floor, anything like that. You just go to the next room, kill everything..open a door to the next room, kill everything, then get to a boss which resembles De Ragnus, but has a different color and elements..woot.

I think if the bosses were actually different from each other and the areas were a bit larger, then I wouldn't be as bored with it, but with the way things are..I'm just a bit burned out on the game and I don't believe a break will help this time, because I'll just be coming back to the same environment. Nothing will have changed.

We'll have a few new missions, a cap increase, some new equipment here and there, a re-skinned old boss, and some other stuff, but..it will still be too easy and boring to me.

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 24, 2007, 03:14 PM
Then quit. There are plenty of grindy games out there that are way better then this. City of Heroes/Villains is a great game. Massive environments, endless missions, and a near infinite amount of things to do. I, personally, am not a fan of MMO play style games but it seems to sound like what you're looking for.

Shadow_Wing
Dec 24, 2007, 04:30 PM
You're expecting too much out of an online game.

all online games generally end up like this cause all of them have the same shit different day sort of feel to them after a while.

Either take a break or quit, either is good. Don't force yourself to want to have a reason to play it again.

TetsuyaHikari
Dec 24, 2007, 04:38 PM
Well, I originally started with Ragnarok Online, then I moved on to Trickster Online for a little while, then signed up for FFXI and played for a few months and now I've ended up here with PSU and it seems my interest in it is just dying like the rest of them.

I don't think it's really cause I'm expecting too much out of an online game, I think it's because I believe it could improve, but ST isn't taking the steps necessary to do so.

There's obviously something missing from it to make me want to keep playing. If that something was added, naturally..I would keep playing. Secondly, even if I was expecting "too much", I don't think such a thing exists. If you're paying $10 a month to play a game, you should have certain expectations.

If those expectations aren't filled, move on. Like I stated before, I just think the game is getting to be a little easy now and kind of bland.

BlaizeYES
Dec 24, 2007, 04:48 PM
nothing ever lasts forever. the only time something felt that new was when i played the original pso for the first 4 months it game out. it was wonderous... everyone was around the same level, too. then after beating it, finding rares... everything just seemed to evolve at a pretty good level. then as soon as people started cheating and had items made from gameshark, it started getting old really quick. but i kept playing it because what i was used to, then i just said, "fuck it im selling my broadband dreamcast modem and never looking back." and i did.

Shadow_Wing
Dec 24, 2007, 05:33 PM
Which really comes back what I said:

all online games generally end up like this cause all of them have the same shit different day sort of feel to them after a while.

And then comes to the fact of this:

You're expecting too much out of an online game.

It's an online game, I have the bar set pretty low, I know I'll end up making it into a chat room one way or another, no matter how many bells it has. In addition to that this is ST made online game and thus the bar is set even lower. So as I said before:

Either take a break or quit, either is good. Don't force yourself to want to have a reason to play it.

Stop trying to reason yourself to go on, the more you try the more bored you'll get with the game. It might be your $10 but it's their game, stop having to expect them to fulfill your desires, just stop here, take a break, and come back in the future. I've been online enough to realize that there are times when you just need to take a break from it all. Sometimes more than once, if you love the game you'll come back, if you don't you won't. I'm on FFXI break #8 here and it doesn't really stop me from still playing that game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2007-12-24 14:35 ]</font>

TetsuyaHikari
Dec 24, 2007, 06:47 PM
Well, I'm not really trying to find a reason to go on. I do this with any game I play. If I get bored with it, sure..I'll take a break from it and try coming back, but that break is supposed to help make the game seem a little fresh when I return. If it goes back to being boring again, I'm not just going to take constant breaks and run in circles just to keep it fresh every now and then.

I do realize it's their game, but..I kind of expect to get what I paid for, ya know? I'm paying monthly to enjoy myself..not enjoy myself every NOW and then. I guess that's really determined by myself, however..I base these feelings towards the game because it IS their game.

If there was a little more to fill in the gaps of boredom, then I'd stick around. From the looks of it though, that won't be changing any time soon. This may be their game, but this is ALSO my $10, so I'll just save it instead of throwing it into the sink http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Darkly
Dec 24, 2007, 08:10 PM
stop playing, move on whatever - it is just entertainment afterall.

MM/ORPG's are the only games i know that people 'quit' - you dont quit a single player game usually you complete it and move on, theres just no finish line in these games, this does create a much longer game but ultimately ends in you pretty much completing the game without it telling you directly.

omegapirate2k
Dec 25, 2007, 12:09 AM
Yep, no problem with taking a break http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mewnie
Dec 25, 2007, 02:32 PM
Burn-out happens eventually. Either try an alt, or another game. It's what i do, I play pretty hardcore for a bit, then switch it up with a different game.

I highly recommend City of Heroes, it's my other online poison of choice. The character creation options are leaps and bounds better than PSU. It's a game in and of itself :3

amtalx
Dec 26, 2007, 08:56 AM
@OP: I feel the same way you do. AoI kind pissed on my shoes. I'm taking the opportunity to play all the games I passed over and get into some new ones. Maybe I'll come back when MAG starts for US servers, or when missions start dropping SOME FUCKING GUNNER WEAPONS.

TetsuyaHikari
Dec 27, 2007, 08:28 AM
I've been having a lot of fun playing Virtua Fighter 5 and Armored Core 4 as of recently. I have a LOT more fun playing those instead of putting more time into accomplishing pretty much..well..nothing..in AOI.

I haven't canceled my subscription as of yet because of some issues in-game that I'm trying to sort out before I say my last goodbye, but..I should be canceling it soon enough. At LEAST before I get my next bill in anyway http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

mariwan
Dec 29, 2007, 01:12 AM
PSU can get extremely boring after youve played it for.. few weeks... few months...cause when you hit the level cap and seen all the areas it doesnt seem like theres anything better to do other than fool around(rare hunting and other important stuff people think about aside). If you look at WoW and FFXI (i dont like WoW cause ever since i played Ragnarok Online i got tired of using the mouse to play those kinds of games) they have a lot of things you can do... well actually far too many things you can do which would suck up your entire life if you get hooked and would take months or years to get what you want...

PSU right now for me is like:

1. Should i come back?
Hmm i dont mind coming back but if i did should i expect meeting those inconsiderate jerks who only think of themselves and thus ruining my gaming experience? or will i experience the pain of getting to the top only to feel like theres nothings left to do? When theres nothing left to do... as a gamer its better if i played something else... at least let me play a game that has some story to it rather than grinding to the top(online not offline)... heck FFXI has a story in it and in-game cutscenes to boot. Hmmm on a positive note PSU is...oh let me just put it in the next part...

2.Why the hell should i come back to this D***ed game?!
Well since AoI came out it should be far better now than it was with new clothes,battle adjustments,photon arts,areas, bosses etc. Who knows you could make a lot of friends when I come back... but wait im playing a game to make friends and chat with them till the death of PSU? ... hmmm as good as friendship is i came to play a game! and once that game isnt fun anymore then ill drop it right there and walk away until i come back to pick it up again. If PSU has some sort of PVP type of system then yeah great at least it has something a little more interesting added up.

3. What defines a good game?
Personal Taste....I played PSU for 4 months and got to 80 back when level cap was 80. It was fun yeah 650 hours spent on it...then after i stopped playing the game and when i started playing the other MMOrpgs i felt that PSU lacked a lot of things... and no matter how much content it gets online the only thing i would look forward to is playing offline..why? Offline mode is the story mode of PSU! I went back to playing PSOBB on a private server a few months after i quit PSU.. Why? i didnt finish Episode II and IV and i havent completed the side stories... I played a game called Lunia and it shouldnt be better than PSU but for some reason i found it better than PSU... Why? Well the game is action oriented like PSU...but you can do combos. It has a story too cept its like your reading a comic book than an in-game cutscene. It has stages like PSU too and only up to 4 people can play(well supposedly 8 max can play but i dont think its out yet in Global Lunia) but you need to beat the stage to actually get to the next...and it gets harder and harder for every stage, and once you reach up to a certain stage you can choose the next difficulty which is obviously a lot harder...now it seems similar to PSU in a way but... Lunia just has more challenges and PSU is basically spoonfeed unless you solo it...*ahem* main point is if game doesnt feel right quit, if it lacks a lot of things your looking for in a game... well duh of course your going to quit, if... gah i forgot the rest... well thats all i can say

Alamar
Dec 29, 2007, 05:40 AM
I posted about this. It is still on 1st page I think little ways down. I read a post about the re-skin and there is alot of pro and con talk. some of it nasty. I think reskin will happen in a game. But it seems it has happened alot in this one. I mean ooooooooo motherbrain cool that will be cool. I seen a spoiler pic and the 1st thing I said to myself was. Dam it fricken falkis in drag. when I fought her the firstt time I was disappointed.. It was falkis. I do the runs for the rares I really don't even pay attention to her. It does suck and believe me read my post about getting bored I know exactly what your feelling. And it seems we are not the only ones. This early in AOI is that good? bad? I don't know but they really need something original from now on. If they continue to reskin it spells "bad idea".