PDA

View Full Version : beast protanser- no good? and opinions on nanoblasts

galaxy
Dec 25, 2007, 03:35 PM
is a beast protanser a big waste? i want my beast to use mostly large weapons (swords, axes, spears...and presumably grenade launchers and laser cannons) but is a beast protranser kind of stupid? should i just stick with a beast fortefighter, as was my original plan?

also side-note, ive got a defense nanoblast on her now...is it worth it? i notice a lot of power beasts dying a lot, but my defense one dies often as well. should i switch to agility or invincibility if i don't want to die?

thanks in advance!

xzidanex
Dec 25, 2007, 03:43 PM
Well, in my opinion, if you can live without the large guns, I would say go with fortefighter. However if you do really want the big guns, then protranser wouldn't hurt, I don't think a beast protranser would be bad. As far as the nanoblasts go, I would say if you're a party player, and you have a steady team that has a healer in it, then get the power one, and just let them know before you nano, that way they can help you stay alive, and you'll do alot more damage. If you're a solo'er or don't have a steady healer, then I'd stick with the def one, since the invincibility one wears off really fast, and I'm just not a big fan of the agility one, but thats just me. Anyway, that's my two cents.

chron1
Dec 25, 2007, 03:57 PM
I went from a beast FF to PT and I like it a lot. When you first start off you'll be pretty weak with like 700 something HP, lol. I'm a level 4 or 5 protranser now and my health I think is 1125 not to bad. The weaons you are able to use are pretty sweet, and you can use all of them at the S rank which is a big bonus. The reason I switched was because so many other people are beast FF and being like everybody else is not always fun. O, and traps are amazing!!!

And with the nanoblast question. I usually just tell w.e healer that's in the party to get ready and it works out. If you solo often then I think the agility nanoblast is the best choice. (dont quote me on it)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chron1 on 2007-12-25 12:58 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chron1 on 2007-12-25 13:00 ]</font>

Tetsaru
Dec 25, 2007, 04:06 PM
Well... it's really up to you, but I'd stick with a Beast FF, personally. I think CASTs tend to make the best PT's, since they have both high ATP and ATA to handle both melee and ranged weapons, but my Beast is currently a FI, and he handles guns decently well. It can be done, but I'd be afraid that, with slow-firing weapons like grenades and lasers, you might end up missing a lot and leaving yourself open. PT's don't have the best stats in the world, lol. =/ If you DO go PT though, be sure to get some EX Traps - they're extremely helpful.

As far as the Nanoblast goes, personally I like the invincibility one. Its usefulness is a bit limited, but you can go all out without fear of dying. There may not always be a force character around, and even so, not all of them like to heal... Otherwise, get the strength one, but if you do, keep an eye on your health. Raw power is useless if you can't get your swings in easily.

Tita
Dec 25, 2007, 04:26 PM
<----F Beast PT 12, lvl 88... Using primarily HUGE ASS WEAPONRY (see name)

from my experience, it's a GREAT combo because you don't really need to rely on your bullets, so your low accu isn't much of an issue:

I lay most of my SE's via traps, i do more than enough decent damage with axes and knuckles, and the only projectiles i use are
nades for crowd control and pinning,
shotties (freeze... but since freeze EX i've only been using my ice shottie if i want to save some cash),
and bows for bosses and ranged exploits.

also: Traps + Nanoblast is full of win.

it's my favorite class to play with my Beast! You're pretty much a minutely gimped FF (thank you beast ATP) with traps, nades, and bows. LETHAL.

Blue-Hawk
Dec 25, 2007, 04:45 PM
Well, considering that the only force weapon that a PT uses is bows, you are going to need the huge atp boost beasts get.

What I would like to know is, how well would a cast work for PT?

MetalIdol876
Dec 25, 2007, 05:10 PM
With all your HP your Ult nade PA will murder everything. Just grab a Solid / Hit S and you'll be fine. I just have a Hard / Night and i'm hardly missing on S and S2 missions.

Dragwind
Dec 25, 2007, 05:48 PM
lol donuts is all I have to say. You will suffer with your nade accuracy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Fried
Dec 26, 2007, 11:52 AM
I started my protransering career as a beast. I loved it. The problem is my favorite weapons were the low accuracy ones like axes, shotguns, grenade launchers, etc. Combining the low accuracy of a beast, the low accuracy of protransers in general, and the low accuracy of those weapons(and their associated PAs) proved to be a pretty big disadvantage in my eyes. HP and defense aside, the difference between CAST male and beast male was that beasts had 84 more ATP at 100/15 and casts had 110 more ATA. Now, considering the numbers were 1119atp/300ata for beast and 1035atp/410ata for cast. You can look at it as beasts having 8% more ATP than casts, but casts having 37% higher accuracy than beasts. To me, that ATA bonus was more significant. I am not sure I was right.

Now, last of all, consider those weapons I said I liked as a protranser. Axes, grenade launchers, shotguns. Characterized by having very low accuracy but (in the cast of axe and grenades) very high attack. Once you add the attack stat of an axe (1416 attack in the case of bil de axe) and its accuracy(97) to the base values I posted above you get...

Beast- 1119+1416 = 2535 attack stat
300+97 = 397 accuracy stat

CAST- 1035+1416 = 2451 attack stat
410+97 = 507 accuracy stat.

Which means the beast will hit 3% harder but the CAST will have 28% greater accuracy. Now, the real formula of accuracy to hit rate is unknown and the best guesses are rather dodgy but personally I was willing to bet that 28% greater accuracy trumps the 3% greater damage in damage over time. *Especially* for a class with abysmal ATA like protranser (there is diminishing returns so classes with high ATA dont gain much from improvement). Considering the average monster EVP is somewhere around 729 for this level and using one of the generic hypothetical accuracy formulas of (monster evp)/[(ATA + weapon accuracy)x(PA accuracy percentage)x10] you can make a comparison between the races. The PA accuracy percentage is a constant between races and can be removed from the formula.

So, beast
729 / [(300+97)x10]= 729/3970 = 18.4% miss rate = 81.6% hit rate
Cast
729 / [(410+97)x10]= 729/5070 = 14.4% miss rate = 85.6% hit rate

NOTE: The above miss rates are without the PA accuracy accounted for. For the sake of discussion I will assume the PA accuracy to be 100% which admittedly favors beasts in this equation. The reason I do this is because 1) PA accuracy differs and 2) I plain dont know the level 30 melee accuracies on axe PAs.

Now multiply that hit rate by the attack determined above

Beast- 2535atk x 81.6% hit rate = 2069 atk average per swing
Cast- 2451atk x 85.6% hit rate = 2098 atk average per swing

with a delta of 29, the difference is rather small with cast having 1.4% greater damage per swing on average. This amounts to a minute difference. However, if monster EVP increased, it would favor CAST more. If another weapon type were used with higher accuracy and/or lower attack, it would favor beast more. This is actually a somewhat "best case scenario" for CASTs. However, if the tables were turned and a best case scenario for beasts were shown their advantage would probably be about the same, 1-2% greater damage. It shows that the difference between the races is rather small in practice.

Heres my disclaimer though. Im a nub. I started playing a month ago so for all I know the above calculations are not correct (especially the accuracy one). I was just trying to show that the difference between races isnt as large as some people seem to think (including myself initially). I wish I had stayed beast on my protranser because I really liked hulking out with nanoblast and pounding things

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fried on 2007-12-26 09:16 ]</font>

lethe
Dec 26, 2007, 12:22 PM
my brain O.o

pikachief
Dec 26, 2007, 01:16 PM
is your brain.... FRIED? lol

HaydenX
Dec 26, 2007, 01:19 PM
On 2007-12-26 09:22, lethe wrote:
my brain O.o

WTF is with "My Brain?"

That was very simple math (things that a statistician could do in his sleep).

pikachief
Dec 26, 2007, 01:21 PM
well if your actually doing and undertanding the math problem its simple, when your jsut reading it as text it jsut seems like a bunch of jumbled up nonsense http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

AC9breaker
Dec 26, 2007, 01:28 PM
On 2007-12-26 08:52, Fried wrote:

Heres my disclaimer though. I'm a dood who's gonna kick some ass and chew some bubblegum... and I'm all out of gum.

Fix'd

Far from a nub.

xennec
Dec 26, 2007, 05:33 PM
I completely agree with Fried. I'm a lvl 91 beast at PT 10 (I'm currently WT but play both) and I can tell you that the the difference between Beast and CAST at PT is minute. Sure beasts wil have issues with the low ACC weapons, but I've talked to numerous CASTs who have he exact same problem. There are two simple things you can do to combat beast ACC. The first is to get a good unit that raises ACC. As a PT I wouldn't mind sacrificing some of my ATP for more ACC. The second, and most important, is learning to attack enemies from behind. When you attack from behind, the enemy cannot dodge your attack.

I don't mean this to offend fF in any way, but I find fF to be the most boring class in the game. When I play the class I feel like I have no versatility. I eventually switched to PT and I love it. Along with change I got actual ranged weapons. I love shotgun and nades. And traps, one of the best things thats ever happened to me on PSU. Now with EX traps, things are even better. I have never met ANYONE who doesn't appeciate it when a PT uses freeze EX traps. Those things UBAR PWN to miniboss type enemies.

My advice? Give it a try, it can't hurt. Whats the worst that can happen? You won't like it and you can change your class back. I decided to give it a chance and I've never regretted it. Be warned though, the first few levels of PT are awful and you will want to use longbows a lot during that. I'm not sure how AoI has changed the early levels of it but when I first leveled it, I used longbow until 3, when I was able to use shotgun and other ranged weapons more effectively. I started using melee weapons at 5, but it was 6 and 7 that really boosted my ATP to using melee effectively. The class takes time, but in the end it's worth it.

Alamar
Dec 26, 2007, 05:46 PM
I have a Beast Pro since level 50. I have completed all the other jobs up to 10 except Fortetecher, Fortefighter. At level 50 I moved to Protranser and I never looked back. I found my class finally at level 50. All the numbers and acc,atp etc to me is just really splitting hairs (IMHO). It is what you like to play. Try different classes not just a couple to see what hits you. I liked the BP Hp and power. I also liked their palate of weapons they could use. At the time no S ranks but still in my opinion they have a huge pallete of different kinds. from sabers to spears. launchers,lasers.pistols etc. etc.. No to mention the bonus of traps and now Ex traps on top of all those weapons. But I may be partial to BP since I have one. Bottom line try other things and see what hits you.

Alamar
Dec 26, 2007, 05:51 PM
lol forgot the Nano. I had the full attack one up until lvl 90 when I switched to the defense one. The full attack does the most damage but you NEED someone with Stars or a Techer or you WILL die. The defense one does pretty decent damage and I can survive with no trouble. Hope that helps.

Sinue_v2
Dec 26, 2007, 06:05 PM
I say, screw the stats. Screw the number crunchers. Screw the elitists. Screw anyone telling you "lol, beast go FF". Going Protranser isn't a permanent change, and getting your basic job levels up to par is a breeze with the MP that the AoI missions give out. Do a few runs in the AMF base and you'll be there in one night.

Just jump in and play. Give it a feel and see if you like it. If you do, then screw what anyone else thinks. This isn't FFXI. This isn't some game where you have to have an absolute optimal character to find a party, and one little screwup isn't going to send the team spiraling into destruction.

So I say, go for it and figure out for yourself if Beast PT is worth playing.

I would say if you're a party player, and you have a steady team that has a healer in it, then get the power one, and just let them know before you nano, that way they can help you stay alive, and you'll do alot more damage.

If your healer is any good, they won't NEED you to tell them you're going to Nanoblast. Considering how long the transformation is, and how you have blinding rays of light piercing in every direction - it's kind of hard to miss unless you're in a completely different room. They'll see it and help cover you. But by the same token, don't be a jackass and go running off all Leeroy Jenkins just because you Hulked out. They have other responsibilities - so keep your ass within a reasonable range of Resta. If you're getting seriously injured, STOP HITTING THINGS LIKE SOME BESERKER RETARD AND RUN TO THE HEALERS. Many Beast players forget this vital little tip. Your power levels are impressive, your corpse is not.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-12-26 15:18 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-12-26 15:21 ]</font>

Tita
Dec 26, 2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks, Fried! You've illustrated the beauty of psu's customization over "perfect stats" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Decided to post my stats:

Lvl 88 F Beast
PT 12

HP 2411
ATP 931
ATA 242
TP 207
DFP 141
EVP 266
MST 128
STA 12

Axe PA stats (Bil de Axe)

lvl 30 Anga Redda
Att 180% (4269)
Acc 86% (304)

lvl 11 Jabroga (still workin' on it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)
Att 206% (4886)
Acc 73% (258)

(btw, what happened to amesani?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tita on 2007-12-26 19:45 ]</font>

Yusaku_Kudou
Dec 26, 2007, 11:11 PM
Well, I did protranser on my female newman pre-AOTI and I found it pretty decent. I don't think you should have to create a new character just for a new class. Every job is weak the first few levels, but 10 and up they're all pretty decent on any race. I've done everything but teching on my newman and I think I stack up nicely. Personally, this game is pretty easy now, so nothing like adding a little challenge.

landman
Dec 27, 2007, 12:54 PM
Max HP and max ATP for a Protranser, what is wrong with that??? I enjoy the job when I switch to it with my Beast, and Shotguns and Grenade Launchers are originally Tenora Works, what is wrong with a Beast Protranser? xd

Tita
Dec 27, 2007, 08:03 PM
On 2007-12-26 20:11, Yusaku_Kudou wrote:
Personally, this game is pretty easy now, so nothing like adding a little challenge.

it's a little too easy :

Protranser has been psu's saving grace for me.

Aviendha
Dec 27, 2007, 08:15 PM
On 2007-12-26 19:24, Tita wrote:
Thanks, Fried! You've illustrated the beauty of psu's customization over "perfect stats" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Decided to post my stats:
(btw, what happened to amesani?)

For PA stats, the JP wiki:
http://tinyurl.com/34w4lt

For Character stats, have some more JP wiki:
http://tinyurl.com/25frrh

You may want to throw those in the google translator if you can't read Japanese.

Tita
Dec 28, 2007, 12:32 AM
thanks!!!