PDA

View Full Version : So i cussed out the Writers Guild of America today.

eXo
Dec 26, 2007, 02:59 PM
I was on my way to pic up afriend from the new nokia theatre when i just so happened to pass a group of about 40 strikers.I was so enranged because of them im forced to watch repeat after repeat of my favorite shows such as smallville.

I turned around and drove by slowly yelling you stupid A$$ SOB's how selffish can you be,they about someone else whos more important then you for a chance. After yelling a few more verbal insults i then finished it off with my own rallying cry.

Oh why oh why must you rally cry, looking for support from a passer you i really wish that you would F%^&ing DIEEE!!! drop dead on the cement 1 day short of reaching an agreement !!!!

Sinue_v2
Dec 26, 2007, 03:13 PM
Normally, I'd say you're a collosal douchebag for getting pissy about having a minor inconvienence while these people are out there fighting for better working conditions, respect in the workplace, a higher standard of living, and a safer working environment.

However, the writers have it so fucking good already, they make even top-tier UAW union workers look like 12-year old sweatshop kids from China. Fuck em and their frivolous strikes. Same with sports players. They can go shove those extra few millions they're holding out for right up their ass and leave the striking to people who actually NEED to improve their working conditions and raise their standard of living.

amtalx
Dec 26, 2007, 03:18 PM
Read a book? Play some shootan gaems? I guess the fact that no one is around to give Leno stupid stuff to say doesn't really effect me that much.

ShadowDragon28
Dec 26, 2007, 03:41 PM
Coming soon: "Heroes: Season 3 " Recover the Writers, Save the Show" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

eXo
Dec 26, 2007, 06:01 PM
Im glad to see that i am not alone in feeling this way ....

Solstis
Dec 26, 2007, 10:16 PM
Sinue, did you just compare the Writer's guild to sports players?

I'm not really sure how much they get paid, but the proposed increase was pretty small, from what I recall. Not to mention that the cost of living in the media producing places (Hollywood, New York) are lolinsane.

Shattered_weasel
Dec 27, 2007, 04:02 AM
One of the stupidest things I have read today.

SabZero
Dec 27, 2007, 04:41 AM
It doesn't matter if they are in a higher income bracket - if they gave up rights because of that, it would fall on everyone. Have you been a salary slave yet? Maybe you'd appreciate people fighting for everyones rights more (and yes, it will also reflect positively on others).

Sinue_v2
Dec 27, 2007, 06:07 AM
There's a big difference between a gripe and a grievance. The reason why Unions have such a bad name now, is because people can't tell the difference and fight (and inconvenience everyone) for petty and inane reasons. Believe me, I know full well the importance of unions and solidarity. I've been to Black Lake. I've heard the stories of Walter Ruther getting beat to within an inch of his life by hired mafia thug strike breakers. I've read about the GM sit down strikes where the workers were tear gassed. I've seen the footage of the Triangle Shirt Company fires. And yes, I have been out working for the last eight years trying to get by in, so far, all non-union shops. Most of them shitholes. I still say the Writers Guild strike is pathetic, it's peanuts compared to the '85 Hormel Strike (which I was at, although very young) or even the recent UAW strike between GM and the UAW in which GM basically offloaded retiree health care costs off onto a UAW trust fund (which was a poor move, but probably couldn't have been avoided).

Those people fought, and gave their lives at times, for the working conditions we have today... and continue to fight for better conditions in tomorrows workplace. But the writers? I don't see it. They're fighting over DVD Residuals - not even really a minimal pay raise. They're butthurt over getting hoodwinked in the 80's on the VHS Residuals basically, and a lot of it honestly has to do with retribution - not improving the workplace or their standard of living.

And really - what other unions have backed their support for the WGA? Has the UAW or URW stepped up in support? The Teachers Union? The Paperworkers Union? The UFCW? I don't even think the AFL-CIO has thrown their weight behind the WGA, aside from a few articles here and there I haven't really heard mention of it other than just a report of the news or to serve and end (such as bashing Ron Paul for crossing the picket line to appear on the View). Oh, I guess the Screen Actors Guild has had a few instances of small sympathy strikes - but there's no big surprise there. Usually Unions will support each other - hence the case with me being at the Hormel strike with my dad who was a steward with his UAW local at the time, serving coffee and doughnuts to the picketers out in the cold.

Edit, I stand a bit corrected. The AFL-CIO has issued a letter of support to the WGA, as well as the USW, and a few other entertainment/writers unions. The UAW also issued their support. Not the UAW, I mean the National Writers Union.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-12-27 03:30 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 27, 2007, 11:44 AM
On 2007-12-26 19:16, Solstis wrote:
I'm not really sure how much they get paid, but the proposed increase was pretty small, from what I recall. Not to mention that the cost of living in the media producing places (Hollywood, New York) are lolinsane.

The top-end writers for the big TV shows usually see about $60,000 a year or so, but the guys that tend to float around in smaller venues may only get $15-20k every year.

These strikes are never about what the big guys get paid. When the baseball strike occurred, it wasn't because Barry Bonds or Mark MacGuire felt they weren't getting paid, enough. It was because that centerfielder who gets paid $30,000 a year or less felt like he wasn't getting nearly as much as his more talented co-workers.

Dangerous55
Dec 28, 2007, 02:15 AM
Fuck. I can write better comedy than 90% of sitcoms and I'd work for a fraction of the money.

Solstis
Dec 28, 2007, 02:55 AM
On 2007-12-27 23:15, Dangerous55 wrote:
Fuck. I can write better comedy than 90% of sitcoms and I'd work for a fraction of the money.

It's hilarious that The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are all about political commentary... provided by a team of writers.

EphekZ
Dec 28, 2007, 03:48 AM
On 2007-12-27 23:55, Solstis wrote:

On 2007-12-27 23:15, Dangerous55 wrote:

It's hilarious that The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are all about political commentary... provided by a team of writers.

I was actually surprised when they were affected by the strike. Never guessed =/

Masou
Dec 28, 2007, 06:39 AM
On 2007-12-27 03:07, Sinue_v2 wrote:
The reason why Unions have such a bad name now, is because...

*cough* walmart *cough*

jayster
Dec 29, 2007, 04:46 PM
So that's why smallville keeps playing repeats. That's been pissing me off. I was all excited for season 7. I watched about the first 5 or 6 episodes and then they started repeating. More power to you! You should go out their and protest their protest.

eXo
Jan 1, 2008, 02:27 AM
On 2007-12-29 13:46, jayster wrote:
So that's why smallville keeps playing repeats. That's been pissing me off. I was all excited for season 7. I watched about the first 5 or 6 episodes and then they started repeating. More power to you! You should go out their and protest their protest.

Man thank you as if it was not bad enough that,you have to sit and wait for more then, like 5 months to get back and find out whats going to happen.

Then they decide to cry over this and that,jay leno has the right idea he has shown his support much as i have, but life must go on he basiclly said ok i support you guys but you dont even have an actual negociation plan.