PDA

View Full Version : AotI-XBox 360: Hook up your 360 to a HD source at least once

AlphaMinotaux
Dec 27, 2007, 04:31 AM
I use to play PSU on a regular television with only the red, white and yellow cables. Standard hookups. It worked fine. One day I felt like playing PSU on the living rooms HDTV. So I hooked it up not expecting much except a larger screen than I am used to. I was amazed at how much of a difference it had made.

Full parties which normally filled 3/4 of the left side of your screen had been scaled down to 1/4 of the side of the screen. The menu's and all the the text were scaled down perfectly so its so much easier and nicer to look at and read. The names above people's heads were no longer and eyesore even when turned on due to being smaller as well.

Anyway after moving my 360 to my room to my regular TV i was very sad. Then I figured I could try and hook up my 360 to my LCD monitor. Well I went out bought a VGA cable and hooked it up. Sure my screen size went from a 37" to a 19" but the clarity and details are so much greater on the 19" that I can never go back to non HD.

I'm sure most people play on HD televisions these days anyway but some people I'm sure like I was never played in HD. HD makes the world of difference in this game.

The VGA cables are really cheap. 20 dollars for an off brand which work just as well as the Microsoft Cables (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/) which costs $40.

If you have 20 dollars to spare I recommend trying this. Worst case just return it to the store.

Here's some links from target.com but easily found everywhere:
Intec Cable (http://www.target.com/Intec-V-Cable-Xbox-360/dp/B000H96ZJ4/qid=1198746298/ref=br_1_37/602-6171133-8137404?ie=UTF8&node=16008851&frombrowse=1&index=target&field-browse=16008851&rank=pmrank&rh=&page=1)
Psyclone brand (http://www.target.com/Psyclone-VGA-Cable-Xbox-360/dp/B000P4PSFI/qid=1198746298/ref=br_1_51/602-6171133-8137404?ie=UTF8&node=16008851&frombrowse=1&index=target&field-browse=16008851&rank=pmrank&rh=&page=1)

Well Theres my xmas experience, I hope you try this out if you can.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AlphaMinotaux on 2007-12-27 01:31 ]</font>

A2K
Dec 27, 2007, 04:58 AM
I was concerned before that the game wasn't "next-gen" (I threw up a little in my mouth saying that, by the way) enough being a PlayStation 2 port, and all, but the game really does look rather nice in 720p.

Sinue_v2
Dec 27, 2007, 05:03 AM
I've been using a PC monitor to play game since the Dreamcast and it's VGA adapter. Sure, the DC wasn't HD - but the crispness, clarity, and the colors were just awe inspiring. Unfortunately VGA cables for the X-Brick were very hard to come by, and the PS2 and NGC weren't optimized for VGA output. Which, they looked good - don't get me wrong, but the conversion from Component Cables to a VGA display left a lot to be desired, even from a mid-tier converter like $200 Viewsonic NextVision 6. After playing on my cousin's HDTV a few times, I'm soundly convinced that it wasn't just the quality of the converter (but it was most of it), it was the difference in quality between a good PC monitor and a HDTV, and quality that VGA has over Component cables. VGA just looks much better.

It's a trade off - screen size for marginal picture quality. But either way, if your HDTV has VGA input, buy the VGA cables. If it has HDMI, get the HDMI cables for the Xbox. Component is a great step up, but it just doesn't quite cut it for me.

RandomTask
Dec 27, 2007, 06:54 AM
I play on a 36" HD set but I still usually have it set to 4:3 480p when playing PSU because I sit a bit away from the tv and the big text makes things easier for me. It does look very nice in HD though.

DraconisWRX
Dec 27, 2007, 07:00 AM
65" 1080P as a PC monitor ftw http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif No, I dont have a lont of money, I just work too much and am a "Slave to my crap" as my chem teacher used to say...

amtalx
Dec 27, 2007, 10:08 AM
My 360 is pretty much the reason I got an HD set. I don't really watch TV, so games was my only real motivation. I'm glad now that I can run my older systems in 480p and all my new stuff runs in 720p.

Itchee
Dec 27, 2007, 10:15 AM
PSU360 + HD TV/Monitor = Tha jam.

If you havent peep'd it, you should. It's purdy.

Telina
Dec 27, 2007, 11:45 AM
i used my PC cords for the longest time, and i just got some hd component cords for christmas. I was rather surprised that the PC cordes were actually much better than the component ones. It is really pretty lol but i do still use my regular AV cords sometimes. When i want to level spells or something really boring i put those cords in and i can split my tv's picture in half, i watch and hear the TV on the left screen and just keep an eye on the PP bar on the right. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif i love mah TV

Akaimizu
Dec 27, 2007, 12:35 PM
Funny enough. I bought a Widescreen monitor right after the early PSU previews showed the 360 version on widescreen. I knew a lot of games took advantage of Widescreen, but this one made me cave in. It also helped that widescreen flatscreen monitors had a huge price drop. Still, I can barely see myself ever playing this game with standard 4x3 ever again. I've seen my friends do it, but to me it looks like the HUD and speech bubbles take up way too much of the screen. Needless to say, it's just what I was used to.

landman
Dec 27, 2007, 12:59 PM
The reason I have and HD TV is 360, and xbox was the reason to have a 5.1 audio device, I've always played PSU in HD and talking with people who don't I discovered that people who plays in non HDTVs have a problem in the trade window, the message to confirm the trade covers the items traded, and that's the reason why some people is scammed, because they don't see if the items are switched or removed

pikachief
Dec 27, 2007, 01:14 PM
during 1up cup i put it on regular settings but left my screen on widescreen to see kitty look fatter in her bikini by accident so that the de ragnus wouldnt freeze me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Fleur-de-Lis
Dec 27, 2007, 03:32 PM
I'm not rich so I'm running on a 20" LCD that functions as both monitor and TV, but VGA failed for me. It's been a while, but I seem to recall the reason being that the VGA options from the XBox Settings forced me to display in 16:10, so, with the TV running HD 1080, a total of ~15% of the screen was cut off from top and bottom. Additionally, on my particular set, both the color depth and contrast ratio were better on component. I was actually surprised.

All of this will be sorted soon, however, as I'm upgrading to an Elite and HDMI.

mvffin
Dec 27, 2007, 05:15 PM
I agree wholeheartedly.

when my 360 got the RROD, I went out and got a brand new 360 Arcade, which comes with an HDMI port. I used my VGA cables for a while, and that was a huge difference from RCA. then i decided to try a cheap HDMI cable, and its even better. not as huge a difference as the VGA cable, but it cost the same amount, so use whatever the best your monitor has. my 20" HDMI looks so much better than a 50" with standard inputs.

Enigmaloner
Dec 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
Woo! Just bought a 360 Elite and trading in my old 360 Pro but untill then i get to do side by side comparisons and might i say the Hdmi Port makes a differance, 42'' of Plasma Goodness helps but seriously this is absolutly amazing it looks beautiful. I didnt think id get much from the change over to Hdmi but ontop of gaming it actually helped with a little stuttering and choppyness i was getting playing animated movies/shows

napalmB
Dec 27, 2007, 09:10 PM
It is funny that I find this topic, since I've been contemplating getting VGA cables for a while now. The thing is, everyone that I see raving over the huge difference he makes seem to be using LCD wide screen monitors. I have a 17" standard definition CRT. I don't know if its going to look as good for me as for those with the LCDs so on't know if its worth the $40. I know they are on ebay for like $12, butI don't know if they are of inferior quality.

Sinue_v2
Dec 27, 2007, 09:20 PM
I just recently got my widescreen monitor. Before I was playing on a 20" CRT. The biggest difference between CRT and LCD in terms of picture quality is that CRT has better color and black levels as well as a greater viewing angle, while LCD has superior sharpness and can be purchased in widescreen. CRT also doesn't have an issue with dead pixels which can plague LCD's over time.

In any case - whichever format you have, you'll want to pick a video connection which compliments it. VGA is an analog signal, so CRT is the best choice for it. HDMI is a digital signal, so it's best for LCDs. Signal conversion reduces picture quality, so you'll want to have the least amount of conversion as possible between the source and the output.

caseylott
Dec 27, 2007, 10:35 PM
I use my 50" plasma at 720 and its awesome. Would never go back to a small tube tv

chokeitdown
Dec 28, 2007, 08:30 AM
I can't imagine gaming on anything but my 50" Samsung DLP.

Yusaku_Kudou
Dec 28, 2007, 08:44 AM
I agree, Xbox 360 and PSU in HD is the only way to play, but the comment that off-brand VGA cables being as good as the official ones is wrong. I've had both and they're not even close. If you actually had purchased the Microsoft-brand VGA cable, you would notice a much better picture quality. From my experience, the third-party VGA cables produce a slight ghosting effect and buzzing in the sound. Just go for the real thing when it comes to the 360.

chokeitdown
Dec 28, 2007, 08:57 AM
Especially Intec. They're the worst 3rd party manufacturers of AV devices, ever.

amtalx
Dec 28, 2007, 09:05 AM
When buying cables, high end cables only really make a difference with analog signals (like VGA). Digital is where people get suckered.

Analog signals are susceptible to degradation and interference. If you make a copy of a paper document on a copier, and then copy the copy 100x, it will look like garbage when you get to the end. Digital as far more robust. If you take a CD and make a copy of a copy 100x, it will sound exactly the same as the original. It's not much different with cables. So don't go out and buy the super-premium Monster Cables with the Uranium tipped leads if its a digital signal. Only spend the extra cash for analog. Higher quality leads and better sheilding will actually pay off.

FirefoxKyuubi
Dec 28, 2007, 01:59 PM
55' in 1080p with a 360 Elite using HDMI, there's nothing better then seeing PSU at its best even when its at its worst....trust me its so clean and it is out putting PSU in 1080p I am happy HD give us things like this.

pikachief
Dec 28, 2007, 02:10 PM
its good ol' firefox

hola http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

TheTofuShop
Dec 28, 2007, 02:21 PM
so correct. HD is the only way to play 360

FirefoxKyuubi
Dec 28, 2007, 02:26 PM
On 2007-12-28 11:21, TheTofuShop wrote:
so correct. HD is the only way to play 360

I have a PS3 and let me tell you its ugly on SDTV really ugly, same with the 360 once you go HD you really don't wanna go back but it all falls on you if you want HD but that is part of this whole "next gen era"

On 2007-12-28 11:10, pikachief wrote:
its good ol' firefox

hola http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

yep its me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif" hello kitty

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FirefoxKyuubi on 2007-12-28 11:34 ]</font>

KateLoire
Dec 28, 2007, 07:44 PM
I originally played this game back when it was first released, on my normal standard def TV. When I realised I couldnt clearly read the text very well, I decided to upgrade. I dont watch alotta TV, so i went and got a nice shiny monitor. The difference, is absolutely AWESOME. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Try it if you havent already.

Sekani
Dec 28, 2007, 09:53 PM
Be warned, once you get used to playing in HD it's nearly impossible to go back to standard definition.