PDA

View Full Version : Booma, play dead!

Mudkips
Dec 31, 2007, 02:23 PM
Ok, for anyone thats played the old PSO for the DC or GC you know the Booma family DON'T play dead after you've dealt enough HP; but playing through the newer quests of AotI I've notice after enough damage Boomas tend to lie down for a couple second, getting back up afterward doing a bit of damage? Is there any reason for this? Only enemy that used to do this was the Rappy Family... Has the Booma become the new Rappy?

Sylpheed
Dec 31, 2007, 02:24 PM
No, Booma's have realised that playing dead extends their life by a couple of seconds.

Reipard
Dec 31, 2007, 02:24 PM
It's there entirely to keep you on your toes while fighting them.

Mudkips
Dec 31, 2007, 02:35 PM
On 2007-12-31 11:24, Reipard wrote:

heh, not how it worked for the Rappies of PSO. In the old days it was to give them an opportunity to run; But in addition to that it gave them a chance to let their teammates spawn, for assistance purposes... Maybe. For fleeing purposes... HELL YES.
As for the Boomas it's just well... Idiotic... Sega could have kept the Rappy as a normal enemy, kept the battle system for them the same... Not just give their battle system to a Booma. =

amtalx
Dec 31, 2007, 02:36 PM
Blast them with a leveled Shotgun on C rank. See if they get up then. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kylie
Dec 31, 2007, 03:27 PM
PSU isn't PSO, nor did I ever play PSO, so I won't compare the two. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif But I really like the "play dead" move because it separates boomas from being just another boring creature and having an unique quality. It's nice.

Laranas
Dec 31, 2007, 03:30 PM
Man I'm getting old.. PSO referred to as "the old days?" Rappies didn't always play dead, you know. They were given that feature because they tend to run away in the old PS games before you got the chance to kill them.

RemiusTA
Dec 31, 2007, 03:37 PM
On 2007-12-31 11:35, Mudkips wrote:

On 2007-12-31 11:24, Reipard wrote:

heh, not how it worked for the Rappies of PSO. In the old days it was to give them an opportunity to run; But in addition to that it gave them a chance to let their teammates spawn, for assistance purposes... Maybe. For fleeing purposes... HELL YES.
As for the Boomas it's just well... Idiotic... Sega could have kept the Rappy as a normal enemy, kept the battle system for them the same... Not just give their battle system to a Booma. =

Whats the point of this topic? Are you MAD that theres an enemy that does something other than hit you?

Oya i forgot we're trying to make this like pso

Mudkips
Dec 31, 2007, 03:48 PM
Just because I said something doesn't mean you have a to make a idiotic comment about it, if you can't say something nice, honestly... Don't bother.

RemiusTA
Dec 31, 2007, 03:58 PM
Sorry, i found your comment being a tad idiotic, calling Sonic Team idiotic for giving an enemy a special attack.

That makes no sense. The rappy faking dead thing was only a reference to the past PS games, it had no strategic purpose. In PSU, the rappy simply burrows underground instead of dying or running away, most likely just because its Phantasy Star's mascot now. Have you ever KILLED a chocobo in Final Fantasy?

No. They run away.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2007-12-31 12:59 ]</font>

KRKcl17
Dec 31, 2007, 05:26 PM
Let's all use the word "idiotic" more. Shall we?

FateOfTheArt
Dec 31, 2007, 05:39 PM
*shrugs* Personally, I love it when boomas play dead. There's something hilarious about doing a Sakura Blast run and seeing a pile of "dead" boomas continue to burn from the SE from Damfoie. Booma barbeque ftw.

StanleyPain
Dec 31, 2007, 05:58 PM
Actually, if PSO players will recall, the gimmick with Rappies was that they fell, then ran away instantly. if you could shoot them or get a hit in BEFORE they ran away, though, you were usually rewarded with a guaranted high-star drop or a lot more meseta than normal. I got most of my rare armor units from rare rappies in PSO.

chaostroop3
Dec 31, 2007, 06:35 PM
ya inoticed it 2.....

Sayara
Dec 31, 2007, 06:51 PM
I got a kick out of that myself.

Especially they make the same anquish they sound when they die in PSO.

AARRUUUAAHH-psyche *pimps*

CelestialBlade
Dec 31, 2007, 06:56 PM
I love little asshole tactics like that.

Another thing I love is when you're fighting De Rol Le and he starts to approach the boat from the side, and all the sudden he goes and flies up again XD It's great to hear all the "WTF!!!!"s when that happens.

Ken_Silver
Dec 31, 2007, 07:26 PM
lol, smart enemies in PSU for the win http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Noblewine
Dec 31, 2007, 10:21 PM
It can't be helped. However if you spam a PA or shoot them constantly they might not fall to the ground.

SStrikerR
Dec 31, 2007, 11:26 PM
On 2007-12-31 14:26, KRKcl17 wrote:

That was the most idiotic post ive ever read, you are so idiotic.

On topic: it makes it a little less dull, you think they died so you run to see what they drop and bam! (only worked the first time tho =/)

But it adds a little.....something extra to the fight.

Mudkips
Dec 31, 2007, 11:30 PM
On 2007-12-31 20:26, Ryan113 wrote:

On 2007-12-31 14:26, KRKcl17 wrote:

That was the most idiotic post ive ever read, you are so idiotic.

On topic: it makes it a little less dull, you think they died so you run to see what they drop and bam! (only worked the first time tho =/)

But it adds a little.....something extra to the fight.

*sigh*, well I didn't mean to start a war between me and the other guy, I just wish Rappies were still the only enemy that did it :[... Boomas just ruin it >_>, they don't have feathers.. :[

SStrikerR
Dec 31, 2007, 11:32 PM
just wondering, why'd you quote me lol?

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 1, 2008, 12:23 AM
It's a great idea, but poorly executed. First off, the yellow EXP FULL (or EXP +###) message is a dead givaway that it's...dead. So no numbers = no death. Same with the yellow dots on your radar if I remember right. Second, why the hell are they immune to damage when they fake death? They fall down, I point my gun at their heads, shoot them and nothing happens! I'm smart enough to MAKE SURE IT'S DEAD before letting my guard down...

Elley
Jan 1, 2008, 12:11 PM
Once they get up and they do a little victory cheer. It's cute.

0:)

Ocin
Jan 1, 2008, 12:28 PM
Lots of enemies in the Phantasy Star Series, though recurring, don't normally keep their original traits. Rappies, for example, were not immortal prior to PSO, and now they are. Grass Assassins, also, were not on steroids.

Mudkips
Jan 1, 2008, 12:31 PM
On 2008-01-01 09:28, Ocin wrote:
Lots of enemies in the Phantasy Star Series, though recurring, don't normally keep their original traits. Rappies, for example, were not immortal prior to PSO, and now they are. Grass Assassins, also, were not on steroids.

Lol at the Grass Assassin steroids, but, I can see what you mean although Rappies are now "Immortal", either way... I just wish I could "kill" the rappy and wait for them to get up... Hoping I wouldn't miss that rare item... Then barely missing it, or shooting it RIGHT BEFORE they got out of the area...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mudkips on 2008-01-01 09:38 ]</font>

Mudkips
Jan 1, 2008, 12:34 PM
Mass double post... Wtf -.-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mudkips on 2008-01-01 09:37 ]</font>

Mudkips
Jan 1, 2008, 12:36 PM
Mass Double post wtf.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mudkips on 2008-01-01 09:37 ]</font>

Sexy_Raine
Jan 1, 2008, 07:47 PM
Their fake death is funny, it got me the first time I saw them. They can take burn/virus damage while in their fake death. It really doesn't prolong their real death when I whoop them with my dam- techs http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

GuardianElite
Jan 1, 2008, 07:53 PM
On 2008-01-01 09:28, Ocin wrote:
Grass Assassins, also, were not on steroids.

They look more like the locusta on Phantasy Star 2 than Grass Assassins on PSO

Ken_Silver
Jan 1, 2008, 08:01 PM
lol, Grass Assassins on Steroids. I thought of Baseball when i heard that. Steroids FTW.
And by the way, I've seen screenshots of Delsabers (guys from PSO ruins) with twin sabers instead of the saber/ shield person. How's that for steroids? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif