PDA

View Full Version : How do the 360 Servers compare to the PC/Ps2 Servers?

Ocin
Dec 31, 2007, 09:27 PM
Well, I've been playing PSU for a while now, and it seems like the only server that ever receives traffic is Server 2, and that saddens me greatly. It makes me think that maybe, just maybe, every other fan of the game is on an entirely different set of servers. So, just out of curiosity, I want to know the following:

How populated are the servers in comparison to PC/PS2?

Are there many 1337 h4x0rz?

In comparison to PC/Ps2, how often are the servers updated, and how well are they run?

Does Sega just care about the X-Box 360 Servers like the big ol' meanies they are?

ilovetypemoon
Dec 31, 2007, 09:42 PM
You know, as much I hate to admit it, I'm getting sick of the state of the PC/PS2 servers. The population I had hoped would increase with the release of AotI is starting to dwindle back into pre-expansion numbers. The recent hacking chaos sure isn't helping the matter at all. More people will drop out of the game because of it. Sega sure isn't putting even one cent into promoting the game. Stores don't even sell it anymore. It's like sailing on a ship with a tiny hole on the bottom where water gradually leaks in. I really can't see a long-term future with PC/PS2 PSU anymore. I love this game and would like to continue playing for a long time and it seems like switching to the 360 server is the only way but that would mean I would have to purchase an expensive console and throw away hundreds of hours I put into the PC version.

/baww

Rayokarna
Dec 31, 2007, 09:44 PM
I've just come out of the war zone of the offical forums still smelling of scourched soot due to this topic. Trust me, this is one topic not to worry about but saying that, this aint the offical forums. Lets just say They have a bigger population but not all of that population has common sense. About 8/10 of the 360 population are good but the PS2/PC side of things lack the server security.

DrAcid
Dec 31, 2007, 09:53 PM
haha...the big difference is the human connection.On xbox, I feel more connected to people when im talking to six ppl real time...not like *type message* *wait*type message**wait* like on the hacked pc.The xbox version is pretty much just how a substitute world would work...with a character to represent someone...and that character has a distinct voice and personality that u can interact with any way you see fit...like a next gen voice chat room....and for anyone that ive come across on xbox without a mic knows i get mad cuz if u dont use the mic ur deffinatley not playing the game to its max...

Ocin
Dec 31, 2007, 09:54 PM
Well, okay, but I already know about Voice-Chat. How are the servers?

Mewnie
Dec 31, 2007, 09:54 PM
if Sega ever does pull the plug on the PC/PS2 servers, they damn well better offer to transfer characters over.

Like hell I'd start all over from scratch |3 I'd have to shell out for a 360 as well.

Turbobrain
Dec 31, 2007, 10:00 PM
Taking bets on when this will get too heated, the personal then locked. I am thinking at post number 9?

Of course though the PC/PS2 server is better just becuase.... everyone knows that ppl on 360 suck, has bad breath and poor personal hygeine.

Thats about, the er, smartest arguement I think.

Seriously SAME game. If you have a decent games PC it looks nicer in my VERY limited experience of PSU 360(1280*1024, 0 frame skip, running forums in the background...).... PC platform is always cited by 360 users as having a lot of hacked items(ancient history but our econmy is certainly 'different') and 360 users will always cite having voice chat.... which is totally do-able(and has been done via dedicated server). However, my experience on XBOX PSO is mainly such that voice chat is not that usefull. Oh yes they have a larger 'community'(I use that word losely) and they seem to get more free decs and real spears than us:).

PC/PS2 peeps will point out that they feel that we have a 'better' community, are more 'hardcore' and I would argue that the PC version looks and sounds much nicer on MOST PC's(again IMO), of course we can take screenshots. Bear in mind the biggest PSU community is actually based on PC/PS2(the Japanese server).

Really though it's the SAME game, you get nice people and assholes on both platforms... there just(from what 360 people tell me) seem to be a LOT of them on 360. I may WELL have gone 360 but most of the people I knew from XBOX PSO, PSOBB and PSO went to PC which says a lot.

DrAcid
Dec 31, 2007, 10:13 PM
On 2007-12-31 18:54, Mewnie wrote:
if Sega ever does pull the plug on the PC/PS2 servers, they damn well better offer to transfer characters over.

Like hell I'd start all over from scratch |3 I'd have to shell out for a 360 as well.

PC server is hacked anarchy. i got banned like, 3 weeks into playing the pc version either by a gm for saying a hacking clans name, or by a hacker in the clan...thats how sophisticated the hacks were even back then i suppose...the xbox servers are somewhat clean...and nobody makes public attack on the wellbeing of the game like on pc...it almost feels like hackers purposley attacked the pc to high hell just to get ppl to get off...and it worked...

Elley
Dec 31, 2007, 10:15 PM
The only differences are positive, I'm afraid. I've played on both PS2 and 360 servers, and I'm telling you, 360 is MUCH better. There is no hacking thus prices are extremely affordable for everything. I don't really need to say this, but the 360 servers have WAY WAY WAY WAAAAAY more people than the PS2/PC servers. Unis 1 and 2 are full on a nightly basis.

The community on the 360 is fine. People only say it's "better on the PS2/PC" servers is because they're trying to find an excuse to warrant their decision. That's all. The people that play PSU on both 360 and PS2/PC alike are the same variety you'd find in any online game. 360's servers just have MORE of everything. More good people, more bad people, more goofy people, more quiet people, more loud people, ect... It's retarded to say one community is "better" than the other. There is no "quantity vs quality" issue some of the people stuck on the barren PS2/PC servers would like you to believe.

Here is the US, the 360 has the best version mainly due to its high population combined with a secure network. I'm sorry, but there just isn't any competition on the matter.

0:)

Ocin
Dec 31, 2007, 10:16 PM
I'm just asking about how the servers are run. o_o;

omegapirate2k
Dec 31, 2007, 10:16 PM
On 2007-12-31 19:16, Ocin wrote:

How so?

Xencia
Dec 31, 2007, 10:17 PM
They'd never transfer PC/PS2 charas over to the 360 one. I think it's far more likely that they'll merge us with the JP servers,and we'd just be 'world 3'(Maybe bring back that old word select translator heh). I don't think they technically even can merge us to the 360,because of various microsoft related things.

Ocin
Dec 31, 2007, 10:19 PM
On 2007-12-31 19:16, omegapirate2k wrote:

How so?

What I mean is, are things updated sooner on X-Box360 Servers, or more plentiful or frequent? Are events more frequent on either? Things like that.

Xefi
Dec 31, 2007, 10:24 PM
i have been experimenting a lot of pain because of d/cing so much today on PC/Ps2. I am on the PC and i must admit that it kinda suck when hackers are on the loose.

omegapirate2k
Dec 31, 2007, 10:26 PM
On 2007-12-31 19:19, Ocin wrote:

How so?

What I mean is, are things updated sooner on X-Box360 Servers, or more plentiful or frequent? Are events more frequent on either? Things like that.

Well, Events are handled at the same time as PC/PS2, but unfortunately, server patches come out a bit later than PC/PS2 since microsoft requires certification for all the patches and whatnot and it takes extra time.

AC9breaker
Dec 31, 2007, 10:31 PM
On 2007-12-31 19:19, Ocin wrote:

How so?

Xbox is updated the same time as PC/PS2 is. The only difference is Sega is a bunch of monkeys and they fuck shit up sometimes. For Example when PC/PS2 got the "no Death effecting rank unless you go back to lobby patch" or "NPC death" patch, Xbox was out in the cold for a while. But now PC PS2 seems to be having problems with the shops while Xbox seems to be okay. The only thing thats been bothering me these past few days is the Xbox live issues. But things seem pretty stable.

Xbox version has had little events to get free stuff like Room decos and weapons by downloading demos. Thats about the only 1up I've noticed in terms of the question you where asking.

Phetty
Dec 31, 2007, 10:31 PM
We get some updates the same time as you, mainly missions and that stuff. However Client updates such as the Death Penalty took longer as the patch had to be put through Microsoft first.

Bliven
Dec 31, 2007, 10:34 PM
Sega does everything the same between the 2.

Natasha_M
Dec 31, 2007, 10:42 PM
Its really down to what you want

Performance wise PC > 360
Population wise 360 > PC

As for the econmony PC = las vegas , 360 = Ethiopia

Updates tend to favor the PC side more since security patches are applied to PC side first while, 360 side needs to wait for the authority from microsoft. Otherwise not much of a gap in updates at all. Both sides get events at equal times. Although if your asking in this forum i wouldn't think you'll get straight answers since there are either anti-PC/PS2 players here or anti-360 trying to corrupt the reality of which side is better. As you notice these players only seem to glorify 1 sided servers.

As for how much sega care, well thats hard to tell since it seems the main priority of PSU care is given to JP PC/PS2 servers. and the only likly reason they do even continue doing PSU 360 is the tiny amount of JP players who do reside there, besides it seems microsoft themselves do most of the work maintaining the servers for sega. If that ever diminshes anymore well... remember the old days of PSO 360 lol.

omegapirate2k
Dec 31, 2007, 10:58 PM
Not to sound like some anti pc/ps2 dicktree or something, or look like I'm nitpicking, but:

On 2007-12-31 19:42, Natasha_M wrote:
and the only likly reason they do even continue doing PSU 360 is the tiny amount of JP players who do reside there, besides it seems microsoft themselves do most of the work maintaining the servers for sega. If that ever diminshes anymore well... remember the old days of PSO 360 lol.

If this is true, then whats keeping the North American PC/PS2 servers online? They have no Japanese population to speak of.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: omegapirate2k on 2007-12-31 20:05 ]</font>

Natasha_M
Dec 31, 2007, 11:38 PM
I never said anything about keep servers up.
-the PC/PS2 isn't much to them either but since its just a mere reflection for them to bring JP server content over as easy ports compared to the job they have to go through for 360. Besides i never said it was taken offline only about how much they cared in respect to how loaded the content is on JP side on content and event side of things. I'm sure most of us here all gawk at how the JP players in this forum are enjoying themselves on the PC/PS2 JP servers.. much much richer than us poor degerates and hoping sega would give us the same care they do to them.

Bare in mind here the creators are JP based and its well known how unpopular 360 is compared to the sony brand in Japan. Its pretty unfair but if i remember famitsu refused to sponsor the 360 version of the famitsu cup because of favoritism, not to mention famitsu rarely feature any 360 material in the first place. and Its true the PS2 is a crap console i mean come on, the lag and such but look at how heartily japan still supports sony. Its this favoritism that prob keeps segas ongoing support for PS2 regardless of what region.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Natasha_M on 2007-12-31 20:47 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Dec 31, 2007, 11:43 PM
On 2007-12-31 18:27, Ocin wrote:
Well, I've been playing PSU for a while now, and it seems like the only server that ever receives traffic is Server 2, and that saddens me greatly. It makes me think that maybe, just maybe, every other fan of the game is on an entirely different set of servers. So, just out of curiosity, I want to know the following:

How populated are the servers in comparison to PC/PS2?

Are there many 1337 h4x0rz?

In comparison to PC/Ps2, how often are the servers updated, and how well are they run?

Does Sega just care about the X-Box 360 Servers like the big ol' meanies they are?

Since everyone else is avoiding the facts here...

1) At least twice as populated. Two full Universes on any given night, plus extra.

2) No hacking. At all.

3) They're updated as often, with special Demo-promos thrown in.

4) What?

Now we need Dhylec to lock this badboy up with that JP population screenshot.

SStrikerR
Dec 31, 2007, 11:49 PM
I think when the pc/ps2 servers die within the next 3 years there'll be an option to get your data to the 360 servers...or we'll get "other" servers.

CelestialBlade
Dec 31, 2007, 11:59 PM
I've a question that SHOULDN'T spiral into oblivion.

Our population on the PC/PS2 side has dropped off somewhat lately (averaged 4-5 stars on Uni 2 at AoI's launch, we now average 3-4 at peak hours, likely because it's Winter Break for most of us), I suspect this is not because of LOL HAXXORZ like everyone seems to think it is but simply because Sega has not offered a lot for high-levelled players, but lots for new players (which I've seen very few of). Have the 360 servers experienced a drop in population, too?

This has absolutely nothing to do with the individual communities, I just want to see how the lack of a challenge in PSU anymore is affecting both PC/PS2 and 360. If Sega wants to hang onto this dwindling game, they really need to give us some challenge again.

McLaughlin
Jan 1, 2008, 12:17 AM
Not really. There was an influx when AotI hit, then the people who hate the game left again, but we've got some players that stuck around.

We're better off than we were, at any rate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-12-31 21:18 ]</font>

Powder Keg
Jan 1, 2008, 12:29 AM
The level cap needs to be raised soon, and new difficulties have to be released. 4+ players in a party on the new S and old S2 missions are an absolute joke right now.

Honestly, the only difference betwen the two servers is population. And as far as I'm concerned, more people = more idiots.

Yeah, PS2 and PC might have some scripters running around (which really isn't often and gets dealt with quickly) but I'd definitely tolerate that before I tolerate the glitches, and people running around taking XBL information and passwords from other people as I've seen posted on here.

EnixBelmont
Jan 1, 2008, 12:50 AM
Go wherever your friends are. If you dont have friends that play PSU, get 360, It's more populated and has no hacking, and theyre otherwise almost completely identical.

Honestly, though, some people might actually prefer PSU's economy, its much easier to get a lot of things because of the screwed up economy. Hardcore people will obviously like 360 better, but some casuals might like PS2/PC better.

I have PS2 and PC versions only and I have no intentions of ever switching. I like the convenience of playing it on my PC and being able to watch TV at the same time, and sit in my computer chair rather than on the corner of my bed or on the floor. The keyboard right there helps too. The graphics are basically the same, slightly better on PC apparently, but I honestly can't notice a difference.

But I can understand double the population + no hackers makes 360 the superior version for most people.

McLaughlin
Jan 1, 2008, 01:14 AM
On 2007-12-31 21:29, Artea wrote:
The level cap needs to be raised soon, and new difficulties have to be released. 4+ players in a party on the new S and old S2 missions are an absolute joke right now.

Honestly, the only difference betwen the two servers is population. And as far as I'm concerned, more people = more idiots.

Yeah, PS2 and PC might have some scripters running around (which really isn't often and gets dealt with quickly) but I'd definitely tolerate that before I tolerate the glitches, and people running around taking XBL information and passwords from other people as I've seen posted on here.

The personal information "theft" claims are several times more isolated than your scripting. And I recall each of the tools claiming to have been victimized falling off the face of the earth when people started challenging them to prove it.

Fleur-de-Lis
Jan 1, 2008, 01:24 AM
LOL, no, there are not dead children lining the gutters of Holtes City on 360 servers. I think a more apt analogy would be...

PC = Zimbabwe (look it up)
360 = USA (stable but inflating slowly, steadily)

omegapirate2k
Jan 1, 2008, 01:33 AM
On 2007-12-31 22:24, Fleur-de-Lis wrote:

LOL, no, there are not dead children lining the gutters of Holtes City on 360 servers. I think a more apt analogy would be...

PC = Zimbabwe (look it up)
360 = USA (stable but inflating slowly, steadily)

I for one wish it was dead children rather than KOS-MOS alt characters.

CelestialBlade
Jan 1, 2008, 01:35 AM
On 2007-12-31 22:14, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

On 2007-12-31 21:29, Artea wrote:

The personal information "theft" claims are several times more isolated than your scripting. And I recall each of the tools claiming to have been victimized falling off the face of the earth when people started challenging them to prove it.

A lot of the "scripting" stuff is very much blown out of proportion, at the same time. It's very rare anymore and as Artea said, it's dealt with quickly and it's often some dumb kid who found some near-harmless exploit. Why people freak out about it so much, I'll never understand.

AnamanaAU
Jan 1, 2008, 02:14 AM
If SEGA pull the plug, there's no way we will get access to JP servers. Look at how PSOBB ended. As for 360 servers? I expect it to not get many more players as the original V1 PSU is hard to find in stores. Really retarded way for sega to distribute AoI on 360. They better bring out a pack with both games if they want more users on 360.

Indica
Jan 1, 2008, 02:18 AM
Im really getting sick of this game. I may take a break till the next update. The PC/PS2 population if friggin pathetic. If it were not for bills to pay, I would be playing Unreal Tournament 3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Indica on 2007-12-31 23:19 ]</font>

Ocin
Jan 1, 2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the answers, guys. I appreciate them greatly. n_n

Dhylec
Jan 1, 2008, 11:14 AM
On 2008-01-01 07:21, Ocin wrote:
Thanks for the answers, guys. I appreciate them greatly. n_n

I hope the replies are enough to convince ya where to go. Please search the forum a bit before asking this question again. It's been asked many times before. It awakens bad bloods & unpleasant every time.
Now to put the stain away. ;D