PDA

View Full Version : Protranser: should I forsake hanguns and sabers, or give the

Slace2k3
Jan 2, 2008, 08:51 PM
Ok, on my alt protranser, I have be going through his weapon list, trying to see want I wanted to use, and what I could care less about, with the end result being that I use every weapon except for handguns and sabers.I just felt that all other weapons got the job done.

the only reason I considered using sabers and handguns was because it was the only mobile weapons protransers really get. so I was just wanted to know what other protranser think about the saber handgun combo, is it worth keeping, or is the shotgun/spear/axe/sword/bow/traps combo all you will ever need?

Dragwind
Jan 2, 2008, 09:17 PM
Sure, every other weapon could do anything you need. I do ODDLY use it as a PT sometimes though for some reason even though I'm a fan of the heavy weaponry. If you're in a full party and shits going down too fast, sure. Use it for mobility. That's kind of the only reason I can see using it for.

(Crimson Line + Crimson combo still does seem quite powerful too.)

AlphaMinotaux
Jan 2, 2008, 09:25 PM
On 2008-01-02 18:17, Dragwind wrote:
Sure, every other weapon could do anything you need. I do ODDLY use it as a PT sometimes though for some reason even though I'm a fan of the heavy weaponry. If you're in a full party and shits going down too fast, sure. Use it for mobility. That's kind of the only reason I can see using it for.

(Crimson Line + Crimson combo still does seem quite powerful too.)

Pretty much the only reason to use it. All other weapons the PT has at his disposal do the job better.

KRKcl17
Jan 2, 2008, 10:15 PM
Don't forget Spinning Strike, that PA is a godsend.

Strider_M
Jan 2, 2008, 10:21 PM
Me as a Protranser has used every weapon they they all have their uses... Saber Gun combo is a plus. You can use it if you want and youdon't have to use it either... Granted you said it got the job done.

I dont use the um..... um..... that Spear/Lance weapon.... (I can't even think of the name of it) that much So It's just use the weapons your used to and try out the ones available to you!

EphekZ
Jan 2, 2008, 10:26 PM
Sometimes there will be mobs, I.E. Vanda mob, where a heavy weapon will get you rocked instantly. I usually use it for times where I need speed to do fast dmg and recovery. Also that handgun is SE3 and a higher rate of fire than a bow. It's a really useful weapon.

Jakosifer
Jan 2, 2008, 10:31 PM
I'd say use it just for Spinning Strike and mobile shots, that seems to be the "Speed" combo for a Protranser.

Genoa
Jan 2, 2008, 10:58 PM
Here's a hint that will help you dearly, best advice ever:
You can carry 60 items at one time and you can deposit junk from the lobby now.
Bring all of the weapons, armors, units, traps, whatever it is you think you might need for the set of missions you're going to use... and switch palatte types for whatever mission suites the style best.
One-Set Palatte for all situations is incredibly stupid and creates fail <_>

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 2, 2008, 11:19 PM
As much as I love saber-handgun, I find myself using it a lot less than shotguns and swords. Good when you need mobility though.

Slace2k3
Jan 3, 2008, 01:01 AM
On 2008-01-02 19:58, MegamanX wrote:
Here's a hint that will help you dearly, best advice ever:
You can carry 60 items at one time and you can deposit junk from the lobby now.
Bring all of the weapons, armors, units, traps, whatever it is you think you might need for the set of missions you're going to use... and switch palatte types for whatever mission suites the style best.
One-Set Palatte for all situations is incredibly stupid and creates fail <_>

yeah I know, that is something I did even before aoti. I often have about 8-12 weapons on my character depending on the mission Im doing.

The reason I considered not using the saber/handgun combo was that I was not using it that much in combat, so at that point I just stopped using them all together, meaning less pa's to level and more time to level other pa's, like shotguns and bows.

SolRiver
Jan 3, 2008, 01:13 AM
On 2008-01-02 19:26, EphekZ wrote:
Sometimes there will be mobs, I.E. Vanda mob, where a heavy weapon will get you rocked instantly.

Just use a freeze trap at that situation. The meseta dropped by the mobs will more than make up for the trap cost.

There are no reason to use saber+gun unless...

a: You like it.
b: You need to save pp.
c: You got no photon charger.

Saber and handgun regen better than every other weapons PT got if JA are not included. While handgun is the only ranged weapon you can allow to let it recharge pp on its own as saber can still perform its job.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolRiver on 2008-01-02 22:14 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Jan 3, 2008, 01:33 AM
I mainly use my saber and handgun when enemies are to fast for me to pull off my axe combo, or for me to use my bow or grenades.

Edit: I also use it when my better weapons are low on pp, also the burn on frying pan is nice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ronin_Cooper on 2008-01-02 22:37 ]</font>

Indica
Jan 3, 2008, 04:45 AM
I love the Handgun / Saber combo, Ive been using that setup since I started this game last year

Akaimizu
Jan 3, 2008, 08:00 AM
Saber Handgun is fun. And oddly nostalgic. I don't use it too often, anymore; but every once in a while, I put that in my pallette. I mean, pretty much every character starts the game with inventory to have a Saber/handgun combo. I like to call it....going back to your roots as a Guardian.

amtalx
Jan 3, 2008, 08:03 AM
It's typically the weakest combo in the game (every class has access to it for a reason). However, it's your only mobility option, and SE3 is nothing to scoff at. PA space can be tricky as a PT, but I would keep Saber/Pistol in your arsenal.

CoV-Shana
Jan 3, 2008, 08:32 AM
It's a classic combo. I wouldn't get rid of it. While not the 'best' combo it certainly has its uses.

chu-chu-chu
Jan 3, 2008, 09:30 AM
Do you like using them? I do. So I use them on my protranser.

Xencia
Jan 3, 2008, 09:44 AM
I used to use it on my PT,but got rid of it. If there are enemies dangerous enough to need to be mobile,I either Freeze EX em and let the rest of the party slaughter them in safety,bow-snipe them from a distance,or use Mayalee Prism/Grenades to knock em over/into a nearby corner for KB-lock.

There's nothing wrong with it as a weapon,if you like saber,and like it's skills,go for it,and handgun happens to be your only offhand option.

panzer_unit
Jan 3, 2008, 10:13 AM
Saber/Handgun used to be a big deal for Protranser. Before AOI they were the only guys who could both do SE3 handgun and get full damage from the saber PA's, and your other guns didn't have the kind of crowd control they do now.

The SE3 + full PA combo advantage isn't exclusive to PT any more, a handful of other classes can do it too, look at spears and dus majarra... being common to a lot of classes doesn't mean a weapon or ability sucks. While 2h weapons are a lot more self-dependent since AOI, handgun and saber are still your only option for mobility, and it's really good to be able to quickly set up an opening for melee damage (sabers are pretty good there) with crippling stagger and SE.

InfiniDragon
Jan 3, 2008, 12:18 PM
Rising Strike FTW. That PA will save your life in a mob situation (and for those that say use Freeze EX, you can use those Freeze EXs for bigger, more dangerous stuff) and owns for keeping "certain enemies" (Deljaban, cough cough) from attacking you with "certain attacks" (Megid, hack wheeze) when that Shotgun or Laser Cannon just isn't quite quick enough.

So yeah, I'd keep a Saber in rotation. Handgun I don't use, since dual weps = two Photon Charges to fully charge and I've got a shotgun or laser cannon or bow for that sort of thing.

Skye-Fox713
Jan 3, 2008, 12:37 PM
well if you don't have a photon launcher, i would suggest using the combo cause most of the guns a protranser can use don't allow first person view shooting. Other than that, its not a big loss

ErtaiClou
Jan 3, 2008, 02:23 PM
Even with my heavy arsenal on PT, I still find myself using rising strike and mayalee hit... a lot.

Kerberos
Jan 3, 2008, 02:54 PM
Handgun w/lvl 3 freeze + Saber w/Spinning strike have worked very well on my palette. That lvl 3 freeze allows me to root an enemy and pull off a full Spinning strike combo. Against the right element, lvl 17 Spinning strike gives me an avg. total damage of 9000 on 1 enemy.(If everyone of the 4 saber strikes hits.)

guise709
Jan 3, 2008, 10:50 PM
i only use my saber/handgun to open boxes now and days in the end though it goes into personal preferecne whether you like them or not.

physic
Jan 3, 2008, 11:36 PM
saber/handgun is your speediest option, and at high levels i think a level 40 handgun may equal a bow in dmg, depending on your race of course. but allows movability. Saber probably has your fastest knockdown move with rising crush, and some strong dmg to one target with spinning strike. IMO its something you need for speed, and its your only option in that direction, seeing as how you have no other 1 hand weapon, or 1 hand ranged.

LaMBoLOgy
Jan 4, 2008, 08:36 AM
I use handgun + saber combo only for tagging enemies. Though it is mobile, I prefer bogga danga for extreme mobility. Knuckles are good for speeed as well. As far as PAs go, penetrating shot iss the only handgun pa I use, rising strike for sticky situations, gravity strike for isolation.

Rashiid
Jan 4, 2008, 08:40 AM
Well it's your only small weapon, so might as well

DarkEliteRico
Jan 4, 2008, 11:51 AM
I pretty much told you how i feel. They're made of win, a bitch to lvl sometimes because you'll want to use other weapons, but for a mobile lvl 3 SE they're pretty good, use that with a saber when required and you'll be doing some quick work of things.